Start by marking “Shifting Sands Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Shifting Sands Short Stories

Shifting Sands Short Stories

it was amazing 5.00  ·  Rating details ·  2 ratings  ·  1 review
Shifting Sands: Short Stories is a collection of short stories where the heroes and heroines shift their destinies like grains in sand, one by one, often to the surprise of the reader.
Kindle Edition, 1
Published June 2017 by Edition Emma

To ask other readers questions about Shifting Sands Short Stories, please sign up.
Emma Palova The initial mark-ups of products are so high, because of the follow-up sales. The floor needs to get clear from the summer stuff to make room for the…moreThe initial mark-ups of products are so high, because of the follow-up sales. The floor needs to get clear from the summer stuff to make room for the fall lines.(less)
Carol Briggs “Shifting Sands: Secrets” by Emma Palova

“Shifting Sands: Secrets” by Emma Palova

In reading these short stories within the “Shifting Sands: Secrets” book 2 collection, I found I enjoyed the fact that locations in many of the stories reminded me of my hometown. Some town names were very familiar to me, giving the stories a more personal feel.

Many of the characters within the stories were desperate for a fulfilled life; one that seemed to elude them. In trying to fill a void, there were at times some poor choices made which created the secrets that were kept. Some secrets were assumed by acquaintances, friends or co-workers, while other secrets were kept under wraps for many years.

In Silk Nora, the “Silk City Girls,” spent their days weaving silk from stockings. It was a pleasant read as a friendship developed between Nora and Doris, the matron of the dormitory in which Nora lived. Set in the 1920s, the factory work was a good way for a single woman to make a living. Once she met Harry and fell in love, her life seemed complete, until Harry leaves to be a war correspondent in London and her best friend becomes seriously ill.

This collection has such a variety of stories and characters that there will be ample opportunity for readers to enjoy many of the tales written. Even though this type of writing is not my strongest area of interest, there are such heartwarming sections and intriguing people depicted that I was glad I read it. I think you will be also.

Carol Briggs

Jun 20, 2019
Doc Chavent
Jun 15, 2017
Emma Palova
May 23, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: author
Yvonne L Harmon
marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2017
Shelley Krupa
marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2018
First story "Tonight on Main" 5 2 Jul 11, 2017 12:57PM
In what way do some of the characters embody the issues of immigration? 1 1 Jul 11, 2017 11:46AM
What motivates the characters in Shifting Sands Short Stories? 1 1 Jul 10, 2017 06:43AM
Orange Nights story 1 1 Jun 27, 2017 12:06PM
The Temptation of Martin Duggan story 1 1 Jun 27, 2017 06:51AM
Orange Nights story 1 1 Jun 27, 2017 06:42AM
Emma Palova, (Konecna) born in former socialist Czechoslovakia is a Lowell-based short story writer, novelist, screenwriter and a journalist.
"I am quite often inspired by the old socialist traditions in the country, that has exchanged them for capitalist," Palova said.
I am currently working on my memoir "Greenwich Meridian, where East meets West." It is about our immigration saga from