Start by marking “Astronaut Annie” as Want to Read:
Astronaut Annie

Astronaut Annie

Career Day is approaching, and Annie can’t wait to show her family what she’s planning to be when she grows up. But, she must keep it a secret until Friday! So curious family members each ask Annie for a clue. Convinced that she’ll be a news reporter like he once was, Grandpop gives her his old camera and notebook to use for her presentation. Grandma is sure Annie wants to ...more
Published March 6th 2018 by Tilbury House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Astronaut Annie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Astronaut Annie

Bea
3. Stars Each page contains hints and references to Annie's dream. She showed good imagination and creativity in her project. I wish the book had hinted more at what Annie needs to do to make her dream come true but I love Annie's can-do attitude and the book's positive message. Nice mini resource page and bibliography at the back of the book.
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked this story. Annie has to do a presentation for Career Day. Each of her parents and grandparents ask her what her presentation is going to be about. She gives them a clue and they give her an item based upon what they think her choice will be. I like that the reader gets to guess along with the family (I know the title gives it away) but it is also fun to see how she uses each item they give her in her presentation. Of course this book is all about dreaming and reaching for those d ...more
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
The title kind of gives it away.

Yes, Annie wants to be an astronaut, when she grows up, but shhh, don't tell her family, who don't seem to know, oddly. They know what is important to make an astronaut though, and they are very encouraging to her, to go for her dreams, even though they each think her dream is something else.

Her grandfather thinks she wants to be a photographer, and her grandmother thinks she wants to be a baker, etc.

It is important to be able to see yourself. Representation is im
Ryan
Jan 08, 2018 rated it liked it
I really like this book but at the same time, I find myself a little critical of it as well. Annie has career day coming up at school. She is not supposed to tell anyone what she has chosen, until it’s revealed at school. Each member of her family wants her to like doing what they do. In the end she used each item her family gave her to be who she really wants to be. The illustrations are great, but this is where I get critical. Shouldn’t her family already know what their little girl wants to b ...more
Nora
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Annie gave really hard clues.
Amber Webb
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Astronaut Annie is the story of a little girl getting ready for Career Day at school. In talking with the adults in her life to prepare, she begins to take a little bit from each of their careers in learning about her own. She takes story-telling, courage, flying and much more. She surprises her family by telling them she wants to be an astronaut. The end pages are wonderful, talking about women in science and space. It will be a great book to share with classes and children learning about space ...more
Erin
Astronaut Annie is about a young girl named Annie who is preparing for Career Day at school. All week she offers hints to her family and friends about what she wants to be when she grows up. They all find out together on Career Day that Annie has chosen to be an Astronaut! This is a great inspirational story for young girls. I love that it includes nonfiction information at the end about women in space.
Kareena
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book! The way Annie takes parts of her life and family, and brings them all together into what she wants to be makes my heart so happy. Diverse read, girl power, UGH, so good! Also has notes about famous female astronauts in the back. A great addition to any collection.
Definitely going to use it for a summer storytime with older kids.
Lynn
Annie wants people to know what she’s choosing to do during career day. She’s planned by to be an astronaut.
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
Annie has a secret that she's going to reveal to her family on Career Day. Her family seems to think that Annie wants to grow up to be just like them, but she had bigger plans in mind—much bigger.

Look, I'm not going to lie—the reveal is pretty obvious since it's in the title. "Astronaut" is right here. However, we adults need to realize that younger kids delight in the obvious and might not put the pieces together. Plus, representation matters. What little girl wouldn't want to see another girl
Barbara
Although I liked the idea that Annie, the book's protagonist, plans to be an astronaut--no surprise being given away since it's in the book title--it is a bit odd that her family seemed to have no idea of those ambitions. I would have thought it would be something they'd have at least had a hint about due to what she was probably reading and talking about. Nevertheless, the fact that they all are so supportive of her dreams runs through the story. Young readers will surely relate to hearing what ...more
The Library Lady
I see where this is going. African American. Girl. STEM. Purposeful. Downright didactic.

Despite all that, this book could have been terrific even if you didn't give a hoot about purpose. There is a sweetness to the story, as Annie goes from family member to family member, who all proudly assume she will want to do the same things THEY do, and whose belongings Annie uses for her costume.The illustrations are unremarkable but pleasant.

But that all goes to hell in a hand basket before you even op
Laurie
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interest Level: K-3; Reading Level: 2.2

@kidlitexchange #partner Thanks to the @kidlitexchange network for the review copy of this book - all opinions are my own.

Have you thought about what you want to be when you grow up? Well, Annie sure does and she out of this world dreams! Annie is so excited when her school announces that they are having a career day. She rushes home to tell her family. Everyone has an idea of what she can be based off of their experiences. She tells all of them that they w
Jana
This is a terrific picture book with a story that will be recognizable by all young readers. The young girl in the book, Annie, is super excited because of an upcoming Career Day at her school. As she shares this news with her family, each family member has very specific ideas about what her costume should be. I love the gracious way that Annie accepts each family members' props for her costume while holding firm in her mind how she wants to present her chosen future career. I also love all of t ...more
Kadie Hayward Mullins
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
@kidlitexchange #partner

I think we spend entirely too much time talking about what we want to be rather than what we want to do. The tradition of career day certainly doesn’t help the efforts in changing that conversation but I unexpectedly found myself really enamored with Annie’s career day preparations. Conversations with her family about their careers provide a fun insight into what about their jobs they think Annie would like, though I agree with other reviewers that it is incredibly odd to
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Astronaut Annie by Suzanne Slade, illustrated by Nicole Tadgell. PICTURE BOOK. Tilbury House, 2018. $18. 9780884485230

EL (K-3), EL – ESSENTIAL.

A young girl is getting ready for Career Day at her school. Her teacher has told her to keep her dream a secret, but each of the important adults in her life give her something that is special to their lives that she incorporates into her own chosen career – astronaut.

I love so many things about this book. I love that the girl is African American. I love
Sonnet
Disclaimer: I received a signed copy of this book from a giveaway.

I really enjoyed this book and plan to give it as a gift in the future. In the story, Annie has to dress up for Career Day as whatever she wants to be when she grows up. Along the way, she gets input from her parents and grandparents about different careers she could have. While all of the careers are good options, Annie wants to be an astronaut (spoilers! j/k) and explore space.

While I enjoyed the story and the illustrations, I a
Richelle Zirkle
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
With Career Day coming up at school on Friday, Annie has to decide how she wants to dress up. Each of her grandparents and parents ask for a hint in an attempt to determine her decision . When she gives them a clue, they give her an item (shoes, backpack, mitts, etc.) that they think represents her choice. She incorporates the items in the reveal of her choice on Career Day.

I enjoyed getting to see the clues Annie provided even though the title was a giveaway. The illustrations were well done in
Heidi
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Annie is excited about giving a presentation for school about what she wants to be when she grows up. Each of her family members is excited as well because they think she's interested in being what they were such as a news reporter like Grandpop. Each family member gives her equipment to use for her presentation representing their own passions. What I especially enjoyed about this book is the creative way that Annie takes what her family gives her and uses it to create her own costume representi ...more
Gretchen
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
One thing I like about this book is the fact that as a reader, you know more than the characters in the book. We know that she wants to be an astronaut for "career day" but her family doesn't. As they try to guess what she will be, they each choose their own career as the one that she'd "like to be." Wonderfully, she has seen the strengths in all the jobs they have and has incorporated the best parts into her decided career as an astronaut. She incorporates pieces of her families careers that re ...more
Serina
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: gs-2018
Girl blends her family's desires into what she really wants for her future. Accessible for the 1 and 2nd graders with an actual plot. In comparison to 'Mae Among the S'tars, I much preferred this ones storytelling (although the other had prettier pictures) This one had more of a watercolor, soft style with pictures, but the expressions on everyone's face was realistic and beautiful. And I loved the family supporting her choices vs. Mae where the teacher is discouraging. Overall I really enjoyed ...more
Westminster Library
Annie has a variety of interests but harbors hopes and dreams of going someplace only 12 people in history have visited. Her family is very supportive and who knows, someday she may well realize her dream and follow in the footsteps of Sally Ride, Mae Jemison and Ellen Ochoa.

Find Astronaut Annie at the Westminster Public Library!

Cat
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I haven't encountered too many books for younger girls which feature female astronauts! This one is nice. I like that the young girl has picked to be an astronaut for career day. And I liked her families contributions to her career day character even though they had no idea what she was aspiring to be. Good story! Illustrations were sweet!
I received a Kindle copy of this story from Netgalley in exchange for a fair review.
Ann Haefele
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this book about a girl who gives her family clues about what she wants to be when she grows up. But the title needed to be different. Astronaut Annie is a big spoiler about her desired career. There is absolutely no suspense for the reader. I read this with my 6 year old granddaughter and she even said “I know she wants to be an astronaut because of the title”. If the title was different I would have given it 5 stars. Like reading about science minded girls.
Jen
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Clever, endearing book about a girl not afraid to follow her own path toward the life that she wants.

There are a couple of pages in the back about some important real-life female astronauts. (I would have expected perhaps something remembering those women lost in space also.) And then there was a page about the phases of the moon, that didn't really seem to tie into anything.
Debbie Tanner
A really nice story about a girl who is debating about what she dress up as for career day at her school. The people in her very supportive family all have great ideas about her strengths and make suggests based on them. It also has some really great author's notes about other women who used their strengths to go places women hadn't been before.
Sandra
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, stem
I agree the title gives it away.

It's a little odd her family doesn't know, but sometimes I thought it was more each of them sharing their enthusiasms and pretending to let her keep her 'secret' Especially since all their gifts coordinated so well into her costume. Maybe something to see what the kids think-did the grownups really not know or did they enjoy seeing what she's plotting?
Mrs. Mazzola
Great idea, but not the best execution. The text is a little too long for a readaloud and the content of the story seems to be designed for the listener to guess what Annie wants to be, but that answer is clearly in the title of the book, which was odd.
Margaret Boling
6/28/2019 ~ As Annie prepares for Career Day, we see her family talk about an interesting range of careers and hobbies. I enjoyed the way Annie incorporated the gifts of each adult into her costume. I also appreciated that this book had a Black family just being a family.
Kelly
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an enjoyable story of a little girl who is going to surprise her family with what she wants to be when she grows up, when they come to career day at school. There's a real feeling of love throughout the story, and that's so nice.

• Grandma's Purse