Start by marking “The Polyvagal Theory in Therapy: Engaging the Rhythm of Regulation” as Want to Read:
The Polyvagal Theory in Therapy: Engaging the Rhythm of Regulation

The Polyvagal Theory in Therapy: Engaging the Rhythm of Regulation

This book offers therapists an integrated approach to adding a polyvagal foundation to their work with clients. With clear explanations of the organizing principles of Polyvagal Theory, this complex theory is translated into clinician and client-friendly language. Using a unique autonomic mapping process along with worksheets designed to effectively track autonomic respons ...more
Published June 12th 2018 by W. W. Norton Company

To ask other readers questions about The Polyvagal Theory in Therapy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Polyvagal Theory in Therapy

Start your review of The Polyvagal Theory in Therapy: Engaging the Rhythm of Regulation
Michael Maloney
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can’t recommend this book enough for therapist that work with trauma But even for therapists who don’t this is a great addition to build your skills and bring some of the research of some of the experiential practices in therapy. Deb Dana brings a theory that was very jargon heavy in Stephen Prorges great works work and makes it client friendly and interactive. She goes into play, bodywork, processing different emotions, emotion tracking and so many other skills that will be helpful to any the ...more
Lance Hill
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has changed the way I help my clients. It’s a must read if you’re in the counseling field.
Lucia Gannon
A clear, well-researched and useful guide to Stephen Porges “polyvagal theory.” An expert translation of the theory into practice for both personal and professional use. Some prior knowledge of the theory is probably necessary as this book simplifies it so well that some of the complexity may be lost and some of the relevance of the proposed exercises missed. Very useful for therapists or anyone in the caring profession.
Jen
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work-reads
Love this book and it’s practical applications of a complex theory. Helps lay the foundation for therapy work and easily integrates into practice. Use of the maps is bringing another dimension of healing to my clients. Deb Dana is brilliant!
Randi
Oct 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was full of great information and completely changed how I think about our nervous system and its regulation. It is definitely written for therapists not parents of children who are dysregulated, but provides lots of good background. I have since found other resources for parents that build upon the polyvagal theory and I now have a strong foundation to fully understand them.
Barbara S.
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Informative, easy-t0-understand, practical takeaways and worksheets that help the mental health clinician help their clients understand the autonomic nervous systems actions and reactions to the environment. Gives hope that while our nervous systems are wired to survive, with effort and compassion, we can rewire default responses to live more fully today.
Brian Post
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read if you work with clients that have trauma. Understanding the autonomic nervous system is key to helping your clients develop self-awareness. Once they master self-awareness, they can begin the work of self-regulation.
Jack
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I originally bought Stephen Porges' book, but it was way too scientifically technical for me. At that point I could've bought his pocket guide, but this book appealed to me because I care more about the application of the theory than the theory itself. And oh boy is that application fantastic!

This review is going to be a long one, so let me tell you what to expect. I'm going to outline five things that I noticed as cool/helpful or that changed in me from having read about polyvagal theory. I'm n
Jules Morgan
Jul 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is fantastic. Polyvagal theory is hereby my new therapy baby. I love finding new language to describe internal processes and this book gave me a lot of it. I only wish she had gone into more detail about feelings that require overlapping polyvagal states! It’s absolutely fascinating to me. I also appreciate how I can weave this theory with Pat Ogden’s sensorimotor psychotherapy and Richard Schwartz’s internal family systems theory. I love it when all the pieces fit together. Would high ...more
Maria Ripoll Cera
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un libro "para terapeutas" que toda persona que desee conocerse haría bien en leer. Te enseña a crear tu propio mapa de detonantes que te provocan luchar, huir o congelar (a tu sistema nervioso autónomo). Cuanto más conozcas tus automatismos, más libre puedes ser de ellos. O prevenirlos para que no afecten tanto tu vida.

Un libro que explica sencillamente una teoría densa y que enseña a practicar ejercicios.
Raychel
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
i loved this book. it is probably the most useful therapy book i've read all year. i have been using it in groups and sessions and it has become a shared language among my clients. i have found this book especially helpful in working with clients who have trauma but are not ready to dive into the details of trauma yet. i would recommend this to every therapist.
HP CRAFFORD
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: coach
Brilliant and practical book by how our bodies as an Autonomic Surveillance system and the impact on our Way of Being in the world.
The book is broadly divided into three parts Theory, (explained the model in a very practical way.), Exercises (On how to apply the work), some interesting items to spare.
Kym
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the greatest books I’ve ever read. This theory is, in my mind, unquestionably valuable in helping people to understand the different emotional states humans progress through at different times and how to work back and forth between them. I read this as an audio book and will now re read as a written one to take notes. Brilliant.
Kimia Jalili
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
EXCELLENT
Liesbeth
Sep 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very practical, lots of exercises.
Deborah
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can’t recommend this book enough. I knew about poly vagal theory but now I know it more in my bones. Thank you Deb Dana
Deebs
Oct 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Difficult read but very worth the read lots to it!
Zen Lara
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: healing
This was a very accessible and actionable overview of how polyvagal theory can be used for therapeutic and personal intervention.
Aurora Knight
Oct 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2020
Excellent insight into how to use Polyvagal in a therapeutic setting
Tijana Coso
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you like brain science this is good.
Jillybb
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
I like the idea of this book more than I liked the actual delivery which was rubbish.
Mariglynn Edlins
Aug 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have definitely never read a more important book.
LemontreeLime
I suspect this will become subject to a landslide of research in years to come.
Caleb
Jun 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Glad I have a physical copy to go with the audio through the library. A great book with loads of practical resources and tips. Works better with your eyeballs than with your ear holes.

Beatrix Fonay
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
Great introduction to polyvagal theory and applications. Will be so useful, and gave lots of food for thought.
Stephanie Goldsmith
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful description of the clinical applications of polyvagal theory. Dana gives practical interventions to use with client. I'm really glad I read this!
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, and very profound.
Shelley
Shows how to apply the polyvagal theory to clinical practice. Excellent resource for experiential techniques.
Anne Acorn
Dec 31, 2018
Rachel
Aug 24, 2020

• Healing the Fragmented Selves of Trauma Survivors: Overcoming Internal Self-Alienation
  • Waking the Tiger: Healing Trauma
  • Accessing the Healing Power of the Vagus Nerve: Self-Help Exercises for Anxiety, Depression, Trauma, and Autism
  • Trauma-Sensitive Mindfulness: Practices for Safe and Transformative Healing
  • Nurturing Resilience: Helping Clients Move Forward from Developmental Trauma-An Integrative Somatic Approach
  • Building a Life Worth Living: A Memoir
  • Internal Family Systems Therapy
  • Self-Therapy: A Step-By-Step Guide to Creating Inner Wholeness Using IFS, a New, Cutting-Edge Therapy
  • Radical Compassion: Learning to Love Yourself and Your World with the Practice of RAIN
  • My Grandmother's Hands: Racialized Trauma and the Mending of Our Bodies and Hearts
  • Trauma and Memory: Brain and Body in a Search for the Living Past
  • The Pocket Guide to the Polyvagal Theory: The Transformative Power of Feeling Safe
  • Greater Than the Sum of Our Parts: Discovering Your True Self Through Internal Family Systems Therapy
  • Trauma Stewardship: An Everyday Guide to Caring for Self While Caring for Others
  • Neurobiology of “We,” The: How Relationships, the Mind, and the Brain Interact to Shape Who We Are
  • Parenting From the Inside Out
  • The Power of Showing Up: How Parental Presence Shapes Who Our Kids Become and How Their Brains Get Wired
  • Man's Search for Meaning: A Young Adult Edition