Start by marking “The Girl Who Ran: Bobbi Gibb, The First Woman to Run the Boston Marathon” as Want to Read:
The Girl Who Ran: Bobbi Gibb, The First Woman to Run the Boston Marathon

The Girl Who Ran: Bobbi Gibb, The First Woman to Run the Boston Marathon

In 1966, the world believed it was impossible for a woman to run the Boston Marathon. Bobbi Gibb was determined to prove them wrong. She said she would do it, she wasn’t a liar; she’d show them by running like the wind in the fire.
Published June 13th 2017 by Compendium Inc

To ask other readers questions about The Girl Who Ran, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl Who Ran

Kailey (BooksforMKs)
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was impressed with this inspiring story of a woman who didn’t listen to anyone who told her she couldn’t run a marathon. The simple story-telling style and the beautiful illustrations makes this the perfect book for young girls.
Elizabeth☮
The true story of the first woman to run the Boston Marathon - Bobbi Gibb. She ran it in 1966 which seems incredibly late in the history of women to me. But, I guess that’s important for me to know as I need to continue to appreciate the opportunities available to me and my daughters.

The illustrations are nicely drawn and are quite vivid.

Danielle
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Terrific book!
Inge
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A necessary story, compellingly told.
Beth
Excellent picture book biography about the first woman to run in the Boston Marathon who was warned, was given an explanation; nevertheless, she persisted.
Earl
Sep 15, 2017 rated it liked it
This picture book will elicit a couple of WTF moments.

WTF #1: Were females really not allowed to run the Boston Marathon because of their sex? In 1966? Fortunately, someone set out to prove them wrong. Go, Gibb!

(It's incredible to think about how relatively recent some of these victories are. I guess in a way it's hard to wrap your mind around new ideas when you've been raised to think otherwise for most of your life. It gets hardwired into your brain. But that's no excuse to accept out of date
Gary Anderson
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Girl Who Ran is a persistence story. In 1966 Bobbi Gibb became the first woman to run the Boston Marathon. As a little girl, Bobbi liked to run. Her friends did too, until they lost interest. Bobbi kept running. As an adult, she wanted to run in the Boston Marathon, but her application was denied because of her gender. So, Bobbi covered up her long hair, jumped out of the bushes, and ran the marathon anyway. We all need stories like this.

The images of Bobbi and other people in this picture b
Barbara
I don't know how I managed to miss this picture book last year, but after reading another one about Bobbi Gibb, I wanted to take a look at this one. It's terrific, and well worth a read. I even love the book's title, which refers to a feat that many considered women incapable of--running long distance. Even the opening pages hint at what often happens as girls who loved to run and move stop doing so in favor of quieter, more "ladylike" pursuits. Bobbi begins training for the Boston Marathon agai ...more
gina
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Everyone needs to read this to their children, neices, nephews, etc. This was recommended for girls online and I thought, oh then boys need to definitely read it. The story of Bobbi Gibb is so beautifully illustrated that I dare you not to tear up. My son was so confused by why the girl wasn't allowed to run, and his confusion and concern allowed us to open up so many important and powerful conversations during the reading. Oh my heart. Go. Go Now and get this book from your library! If they don ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Poletti, Frances and Kristina Yee The Girl Who Ran: Bobbi Gibbs, the First Woman to Run the Boston Marathon. PICTURE BOOK. Compendium, 2017 $17.

Bobbi Gibbs loved to run. She didn’t train with a coach, she didn’t belong to any team ever. She just loved to run. In a time when races for women couldn’t be over 1.5 miles, long distances were her thing. So she decided one day just to try the Boston Marathon. She tried to enter officially, but she was turned down. So instead, she hid in the bushes bes
Kelli
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Genre: Biography
Recommended grades: 2-5

Unique Feature: The illustrations in this book are absolutely amazing. They look like they were done as watercolor and are remarkable. Also, when Bobbi's family and friends and society is saying things to and about her, their words are sort of written all over the page and surrounding her. It's hard to explain, but they're more a part of the pictures rather than the text written and that's a cool text feature to show kids.
Kristin
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a fabulouos book telling the true story of Bobbi Gibb, the first woman to run the Boston Marathon, and showing all girls you can overcome adversity if you put your mind to it.
Mary Librarian
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Someone had to be first, the first woman to run the Boston Marathon, and Bobbi was her name. Inspiring story about not giving up or taking no for an answer. About the courage woman have always had to say no and not stop when they're told women can't. Oh yes, they can!
Eija
Love the movement in the illustrations— they’re wonderful
Nicole
Stunning illustrations complement this triumphant true story of Bobbi Gibb, the first woman to complete the Boston Marathon.
Julie
Great book with wonderful illustrations of the first woman to run the Boston Marathon
stillme
Inspiring for girls, runners, and anyone determined to succeed.
Kimberly
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved the way this story was written and illustrated. Powerful message about believing in oneself and defying those who say your dreams are impossible. Great story to read with my girls who need more examples of other women who 'believed they could so they did'
Carrie Norris
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous illustrations and well-written picture book. Reading this makes me want to read more about Bobbi Gibb and Kathrine Switzer's experience.
Ashley
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great children's picture book telling the story of Bobbi Gibb, the first woman to run the Boston Marathon! Beautifully told and beautifully illustrated, with a little surprise fold out!
Angela
This beautiful picture book tells the inspirational true story of Bobbi Gibb, who overcame the odds to become the first woman to run the Boston Marathon. Authors Frances Poletti and Kristina Yee describe Gibb's struggles appropriately for the audience, from the lack of support from her own family to the pain of the rejection letter, as well as her courage and persistence in overcoming them. Susanna Chapman's beautiful pen and watercolor illustrations are a real standout. Every page is full of li ...more
Cecelia
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
The very first thing you notice about this picture book is the gorgeous cover art. The Girl Who Ran in large, white font, against a fiery watercolor background slanted crosswise on the dustjacket. And then you see the little picture of Bobbi Gibb at the bottom, running with her hair streaming behind her, echoing the colors above. If it gets you to pick up the book, the cover has done its job. In this case, I don’t see how anyone could resist it!

Frances Poletti and Kristina Yee's picture book, Th
Steve Watson
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This illustrated children's book is all at once an inspiring tribute to Bobbi Gibb, determined girls and women everywhere, the sport of distance running, and the Boston Marathon. Gibb was the first woman to run the Boston Marathon in 1966. She ran well too, faster than I've ever run a marathon. The text of this book is so-so. It captures the story just fine in brief, but can't decide if it wants to be rhyming poetry or sparse prose. The prose at least needs to be more lyrical to keep up.

The real
Chance Lee
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-it
Inspiring true story of the first woman to run the Boston Marathon. The illustrations are colorful. There's a little couplet that is repeated throughout that I found kind of annoying. They always end with "like the wind in the fire" as if that's a phrase people say, and they feel forced. Example: "She said she would do it, she wasn't a liar [note: comma splice!]; she'd show them by running like the wind in the fire."

The book does simplify reality, by acting as if Bobbi Gibb ran and BOOM, all wa
Nella Eshbaugh
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! For awhile now, I've been trying to find books that will empower the girls in my future classroom one day, and I will definitely have to include this one in my future classroom library.

This book is best suited for grade levels, 3rd through 5th grade. A unique feature of this book is towards the end. As Bobbi reaches the finish line at the Boston Marathon, the pages fold/unfold into a spread that shows Bobbi, the crowd of people cheering her on, and the finish line.
Jo Oehrlein
May 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, sports
Hard to believe that there was a time when people believed that women couldn't run marathons, but that time wasn't all that long ago.

Bobbi grew up loving to run. Her parents didn't like it, but she ran. The rules didn't allow her to enter the Boston Marathon, but she decided to run it anyway. He father wouldn't drive her to the race, but her mother did. Bobbi hid at the start, but soon took off her sweatshirt disguise and let people realize she was a girl.

She was living proof that girls could ru
Madison Harloff
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Biography
Grades K+
Two of my favorite features of this book are the illustrations and the repeated word pattern found on many pages. The watercolor illustrations in the book are filled with vibrant colors and immense details. The text also features little poems at the bottom of many of the pages that all end in "like the wind in the fire". For younger children, instead of reading all the words in the book, you could picture walk accompanied by the little poem at the bottom of each page.
Date Com
YingYu  Chen
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It is almost like a picture book with an astounding poem, theatrical effects, and inspiration. When I read this book to my 6-year-olds, I could see their eyes are glittering. They are truly moved by how Bobbi ran for nothing but a pursuit of passion and dedication.

The pictures are almost as poetic as the words, and the narrative along with the poem has a dynamic rhythm. The words still make sounds in my heart, like the girl who ran with the fire in the wind.

PS> My little audience really wan
Melanie
An easy to read picture book bio of female runner Bobbi Gibb. Gibb was the first woman to break the no-women rule of the Boston Marathon. She entered illegally in 1966, after being rejected by the marathon committee.

The author's constant use of some form of the phrase "like the wind in the fire" was really distracting. Each phrase is written to rhyme. But the rest of the story doesn't rhyme. And the story is written in such a way that it means to be factual and easy to understand; not lyrical an
Emmie
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edr-320
Picture book biography; most suitable for grades 2-5.

"The Girl Who Ran" has the possibility to serve as an outstanding introduction to written biographies, as well as an introduction to women's rights and gender (in)equality. Bobbi Gibb, the first woman to ever run the Boston Marathon, is a strong woman who embodies perseverance and endurance. But most importantly, Bobbi Gibb is a strong woman that can (and should) be a role-model for young readers everywhere. I am always excited to read books
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Game Changers: The Story of Venus and Serena Williams
  • Dangerous Jane
  • Girl Running: Bobbi Gibb and the Boston Marathon
  • Grace Hopper: Queen of Computer Code
  • The Kid from Diamond Street: The Extraordinary Story of Baseball Legend Edith Houghton
  • Miss Mary Reporting: The True Story of Sportswriter Mary Garber
  • A Lady Has the Floor: Belva Lockwood Speaks Out for Women's Rights
  • Martina & Chrissie: The Greatest Rivalry in the History of Sports
  • Fearless Flyer: Ruth Law and Her Flying Machine
  • Dorothea's Eyes: Dorothea Lange Photographs the Truth
  • Growing Up Pedro: How the Martinez Brothers Made It from the Dominican Republic All the Way to the Major Leagues
  • Pocket Full of Colors: The Magical World of Mary Blair, Disney Artist Extraordinaire
  • Hidden Figures: The True Story of Four Black Women and the Space Race