Start by marking “Notes From the Upside Down – Inside the World of Stranger Things: An Unofficial Handbook to the Hit TV Series” as Want to Read:

ARE YOU READY FOR SEASON TWO?

No? Then grab your Eggos and prepare to enter Hawkins, Indiana – just don't forget your fairy lights

If you devoured Stranger Things and you're looking to fill the demogorgon-sized hole in your life, then look no further than Notes From the Upside Down. This fan handbook is here to tell you more about the origins of the show, including the myst
Published April 20th 2017 by Ebury Digital

Be the first to ask a question about Notes From the Upside Down – Inside the World of Stranger Things

Katie B
When the Netflix show, Stranger Things, debuted it didn't take long for it to catch on and develop quite the following. It's a bit of a nostalgia trip back to the 80s with a compelling story line and a terrific cast of actors, in particular the child stars of the show. This book was published before season 2 had aired and therefore only goes into detail about episodes from the first season.

As with most unofficial books about tv shows and films, this book doesn't really contain any insider inform
Rinn
I received a copy of this book for free from the publisher, in exchange for an honest review. Also posted on my blog, Rinn Reads.

As soon as Stranger Things was released on Netflix, I watched it all in two or three days. There’s just something about the show – the 80s setting, the dark science fiction theme, the soundtrack, the incredible cast… I love it so much and try and make EVERYONE watch it. Hence why I was interested in reading a book about the show.

Unfortunately, this book does not do the
Essi | morrisongrl
This was a fun read! I got the ebook from the library,but I really want a physical copy of this. There’s so much info about music,movies and books that I’d love to be able to just get back to it when ever I want to. There’s also a lot of footnotes,which didn’t work on the ebook that well as they were at the end of each chapter,and going back to check what they were refering to got old pretty fast. So yeah,totally read this if you loved Stranger Things,but maybe don’t read it in the e-format.

Eac
Mac Dubista Keso The Bibliobibuli v(=∩_∩=)
"Parents claim the best way to deal with bullies is to tell your teacher. No. The best way is to use telekinesis to wring the contents of their bladders out for all to see."

-Guy Adams 😆😁💚

LMAO!

A great companion to Stranger Things series. (you NEED to watch it in Netflix) I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT! One of my favorites! I'm also excited for season 3! Yay!

I've been in a book slump for almost a month. I'm so thankful for the author.ü

Some of my favorite parts :
THE DNA OF STRANGER THINGS,
FOOTNOTES! YAY!
FA
Sandra
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
It’s not what I expected it to be.
Still it was a fun read with some interesting background information on Stranger Things.

Rating: 3.25

Lauren Paletta
Interesting, but I got bored. Apparently I'm not a big enough fan for this.
Rock
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book and the tv series

~ Rock
Kelsey Marie
*****Stop by Darling & Co. to read my full review of Notes from the Upside Down: An Unofficial Guide to Stranger Things.*****

I don't know about you, but I love Stranger Things. If you haven't watched it, stop right now and go watch it. Not because there are spoilers below (there are), but because it's literally that good. I'll wait.

Notes from the Upside Down is a collection of all of the nerdy things related to Stranger Things. Now, I would never write a companion novel for a TV series, I'm
Lucia Sandin
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny and informative but definitely for the hard-core fans.
Lucia
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Got a bit boring at points but was good.
Hannah
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting book filled with lots of facts, and written in a comical way. A good companion book if you're re-watching the series.
Jess (terrifyinglyfictional)
Very interesting and informative. I love the section on Stephen King as I’m a huge King fan and have noticed a lot of the references as well!
Renee M. P. T. Kray
This book was actually way more informative than I thought it would be for a psycho-fan of the series such as myself. The author was quite entertaining in his prose voice and said a lot of the thoughts I had while watching the series.

I had to only give it 3 stars because, as some other reviewers have mentioned, it gets pretty monotonous reading the same exact formula for each chapter. I think a lot of the stuff in there was unnecessary... blank pages for notes? "Homework" assignments? Really?

Th
Madeline Ayers
This is a nonfiction book that takes you behind the scenes of the popular series "Stranger Things" with facts about the Duffer brothers, the creators of the show, the inspiration for the show, the soundtrack, the characters and the talented actors and actresses who portray them. Personally, this book didn't really fulfill my expectations. I was hoping there would be more information on how the scenes were created and inspired, etc., but it focused a lot more on the authors and directors that ins ...more
Kristine
I needed to fill the “demagorgon-sized” hole in my life after finishing season 2, and this book helped to fill that void. It was interesting to read all the 80’s influences and references that are in the show, and to learn more about the Duffer brothers. My only complaints would be that the resources list at the end does not include the most credible sources, and I would’ve liked just a little bit more insight into the episodes.
Chris Worthy
I think it is entirely possible that I'm just too old for this book. I loved the first season of the show and thought this would be fun. (I received an advance copy via Netgalley.) It just feels juvenile and I think perhaps the audience is readers who are too young to have lived through the 80s. Tweens who enjoyed the show would probably enjoy this.
Debi G.
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: disappointing
I feel like this was rapidly thrown together for Christmas shoppers. The author isn't even named anywhere on the cover. It reminds me of a stretched out special from Teen Beat.

Those who did not live through the 1980s may enjoy the lists of references to watch or read in order to catch the many allusions and sources from which the Duffer brothers' ideas are derived or inspired.

Strangerthings011
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzzziiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnngggggggggg! best book ever read it many times. intreasting. love it!
Chris Torretta
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More Stranger Things before the show comes out with Season two?! Yes, please!

The synopsis explains this book as the ability to fill the demagogue whole in your heart that Stranger Things left when season one ended. I think this is a pretty adequate way of describing this book.

First off, I love Stranger Things for many reasons. I’m a Halloween fanatic, I think that happened to most of us that grew up in the 80’s. I love all things 80’s, so watching Stranger Things was like taking me back to a mov
V
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a great Christmas gift from my husband. I really enjoyed reading THIS....like a lot. It also got me to re-watch Season 1 which got me wondering where is the book on Season 2?

Here is my "takeaway" of the book -

The Pros: I liked that the author gave some "rabbit chasers" into other movies and books in the horror and Sci-fi genre. I found myself wanting to watch a lot of the movies given as homework and glad I followed directions. At first I thought that this was going to be boring, but I
Blythe Penland
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this unofficial guide did a pretty good job of guidance. But I feel like the subtitle would be better as: A Book of References In General, But the Majority Are From the 80s. All things said, Guy Adams spent most of the novel telling the reader what to watch, read, and listen to if you like Stranger Things. I think he recommended more media than is possible to consume in this lifetime. Unfortunately, we have the Internet and plenty of other things that were created purely for the genera ...more
Paul Brown
As this is an unofficial fan text it was never going to be a five star comprehensive guide to Stranger Things jam packed with behind the scenes photos and unlimited access to cast and crew however as a book based on observation and pointless trivia rather than exhaustive research its something of a small triumph and a must read for fans of the show.
Beware if like myself you're a geeky child of the eighties there's a lot of signposting of the blatantly obvious here but do remember the author is a
Samuel
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My wife kindly used her free book credit at a library summer reading event to bring this book home to me--an admitted fan of STRANGER THINGS, 80s cinema and music, and pop culture trivia. It honestly was ok: fun because of the content but ultimately amounting to the author's recommendations for other 80s movies and soundtracks to check out that have a STRANGER THINGS flavor to them. It was refreshing not to dwell too much on the obvious references and homages--though a few get referenced excessi ...more
Pareesaparvizi
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I decided to read the book "Notes From The Upside Down", a book that discusses the creation of the show Stranger Things. I decided to read this book because I really enjoyed the television show, and I wanted a better understanding of the actual development of each scene. I don't really read books like this, and I tend to stick to fiction books. I'm really glad I decided to pick this book up at the store, it was very interesting to get into the minds of the show creators. I also thought it was in ...more
K.S. Lewis
Since one of my most favorite shows is Stranger Things, this was a must-read. Not to mention, I've been waiting on this book at the library since November 1st. As soon as season 2 hit Netflix, I went to find any reading material I could find on ST, and here we are.

This book is so in depth, it's scary. I honestly wasn't expecting so much detail, but I am glad it was there. I loved the first part where it talks about the Duffer Bros., how they came to be in the film/tv making art and the journey
Vaish
Just putting this out there: I am a die-hard Stranger Things fan. I finished the entire second season (a whole 9 hours of amazement) in two days. While you could read this book to increase your excitement in Stranger Things, I feel like you shouldn’t waste your time on it. It’s only a summary of each episode with facts about each one, and some knowledge about the people who made show. While this is all interesting, I expected this book to be facts about the show, some background information ...more
Mr. Allain
I thought about dropping down to two stars for this, but I hate to do that to a book that was exactly what it claimed to be. No more. No less. It is a fan guide. I probably never would have picked up if it hadn't been a gift. It provides some semi-comical commentary on S1 of Stranger Things as well as a lot of unnecessary "quizzes" and oddball gags that don't really land.

This book is salvaged by its in-depth discussion of Stranger Things' inspirations. I was particularly drawn to the discussion
Jenna
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Stranger Things, so I was excited to read this. I enjoyed it! But it wasn’t my favorite. The setup of each chapter was exactly the same, so it got a little boring. Majority of the book was about music. And I get that music played a huge part in Stranger Things, but I did not want to read a whole book about the music influences and their life stories. Besides that, I learned some stuff I didn’t know before and have been inspired to watch The Twilight Zone, so I say give this book a chance ...more
Rachel
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a die-hard "Stranger Things" fan this was an enjoyable little book. Though I feel as though I didn't get much new information about the show itself, I was introduced to many new books, movies, and music that I would never have thought the read watch or listen to. I loved how each episode had its own section which went into depth about its inspiration, actors, music and more. There are also quizzes for each episode, and as someone who watched the show 4 times and can almost quote every line, I ...more
Georgie
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a wonderful homage to season 1 of Stranger Things. I loved Guy Adams' take on the show - he obviously loves it and the whole book is a love letter to the show, but he balances this with observations of the show's (rare) flaws and a great sense of humour. I loved his description of Dr Brenner's scenes in a particular episode being covered in 'evil gravy'.

If you love Stranger Things, this book is definitely for you. The book and film recommendations are very handy for filling the Stranger-Things-s
« previous 1 3 next »
Horror Aficionados : Enter to win a copy of Notes from the Upside Down 8 32 Nov 07, 2017 05:45PM

• In My Humble Opinion: My So-Called Life