Start by marking “Someplace Familiar (Laurel Cove Romance #1)” as Want to Read:
Someplace Familiar (Laurel Cove Romance #1)

Someplace Familiar (Laurel Cove Romance #1)

Artist Livy Johnson needs a fresh start. That's what a broken heart and forgotten dreams can do to a person. On little more than a whim, she reclaims her grandmother’s old home in quaint Laurel Cove, North Carolina and vows to restore its original charm. When she literally collides with childhood friend, Jack Bowdon, Livy wonders if she’s back for an entirely different rea ...more
Kindle Edition
Published May 30th 2017 by Good Day Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Someplace Familiar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Someplace Familiar

Start your review of Someplace Familiar (Laurel Cove Romance #1)
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
I have two words for you: Jack. Bowdon.

Two more words: Have. Mercy.

Jack has a sexy Southern drawl that gets deeper and lazier when he has romantic intentions. “He could teach a class on how to flirt.” Muscles. Handyman. House builder. Loves his dog. Loves his woman. His best friend describes him as “the guy who swoons easily and loves hard.” Seriously – a sexy, flirty, drawling, twinkly-eyed, winking, earned-his-muscles-through-hard-work guy who swoons over the women he f
Jessica Baker (A Baker's Perspective)
The story of Livy and Jack is beautiful, wonderful, and had an element of surprise/suspense that I was not at all expecting. I was drawn to the storyline, and found myself cheering them on right from the start. This story was also about new beginnings and forgiveness. Livy's journey of self worth and becoming her own person was well written. It was on her terms, in her timeline, and balanced well with the romantic storyline.

Here's what I liked about the romantic storyline - it wasn't
Staci
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
What I enjoyed about this contemporary fiction debut: southern charm and manners, the book cover, the setting (hills of North Carolina) and the theme of overcoming a difficult relationship.

I delight in finding debuts and this author certainly shows promise. The romance fell just a bit short for me with insta love and an episode of lightning fast falling out. Also, the focus on touching was more than I needed (knees touching multiple times, falling into each other more than once, etc.
Bree
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Going back is sometimes the best step forward. Fresh starts come in many ways and usually not how one expects. Sometimes it takes facing your hurt to build a loving future.

Livy is going to the one place she can seek comfort. Like many of us, she is going to place that holds memories, fond times and quaint people. She went through extremely tough times, and the author gave glimmers of the “jerk” (would love to insert other word) that wounded Livy, made her skittish and broken. One the
Tina
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to be an early reader for this book and have to say that it is an amazing read! Teresa Tysinger is guaranteed to be on your "must read" list. For fans of Contemporary Fiction, this is a must. It's dramatic, romantic and just plain fun! One minute you will be crying and the next laughing at these dynamic characters. A beautiful story with a beautiful message.
Sydney
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Teresa Tysinger’s debut novel is a smashing hit from page one. This story is about two heartbroken and abused people come together to pick up the broken pieces of their lives as they work together to fix-up a run down cottage. Readers will fall in love with the characters, immediately being drawn to their pains and sufferings, as well as their joys and happiness. It is a story that will rip into a reader’s heart as they come to love Laurel Cove and the people in it. This is a well-written, heart ...more
Laurie
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a sweet and heartfelt reunion romance in which the Blue Ridge Mountains play a charming character. The small-town setting and Southern flavor complement Jack and Livy's poignant unexpected romance like a comforting bowl of shrimp and grits.
Meghan Gorecki
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
With a true Southern gentility, Tysinger’s debut is a breath of fresh air, yet reminiscent of the classic Nicholas Sparks. A heartfelt romantic journey from beginning to end, this novel will wrap you up in Southern hospitality, offer you a cup of sweet tea and make the reader not want to leave the colorful world of Laurel Cove, or say goodbye to Jack and Livy. A must read if you need to escape from the real world whether just through pages, or on vacation.

*Disclaimer: I receive
Lori
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"There's no place like home" How true this is even though it took Livy awhile to feel like that.
I definitely agree with the quote. As long as Jesus and my immediate family are around me no matter what we do or where we are it's home.
I can certainly relate to Livy a lot in this story. I really enjoyed seeing her grow and come to love, trust and forgive others for the wrong that was in the book.
This is also the author's debut novel that has a little bit of everything in it right down to th
Crystal Scott
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There is nothing more that I love to read then books that are based in my home state of North Carolina. Someplace Familiar is book one in the Laurel Cove series by Teresa Tysinger. I really enjoyed reading Livy Johnson's story. Livy is an artist who is searching for a fresh start and hopes to find that by reclaiming her grandmother's old home in Laurel Cove, North Carolina. Her plans are to restore it back to the charm it had when she was a little girl. Jack Bowden is a childhood friend of Livy' ...more
Suzie Waltner
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
When the life you’ve dreamed of living hasn’t worked out and people have made you feel less than, comfort can be found in familiarity. So when Livy Johnson buys her grandmother’s cottage in Laurel Cove, she leaves New York and her dreams of becoming a famous artist for a more laid back rural setting.
The friendship between Livy and Jack Bowden started over one summer when they played together as children. Now, years later, they pick right back up. But both Jack and Livy have bruised hearts
Beth Erin
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Full review on Faithfully Bookish http://wp.me/p7ngfE-VZ

There are so many things I adore about this book right from the get go. Home improvement type folks, mountains, small town, sweet friendships, and faith! When Livy Johnson pulls into town, she is uncertain and hurting yet cautiously optimistic about her new adventure. Jack Bowdon has a steady personality and a big heart.

Laurel Cove is a delightful community and I'm already looking forward to my next visit. Someplace Familiar is packed with a
Anne
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was thrilled to be on the launch team for Someplace Familiar, because I knew from the description that it would be my kind of romance. It was all that and more! What a impressive debut novel! Set in a small mountain community in North Carolina, I felt like I was right there with the characters, Livy and Jack! The setting was well-described, but not overdone. The romance was sweet, flirty, sexy, and a little angsty. I liked how Teresa wrote from each character's POV. The story flowed well, and ...more
Martha
Jun 10, 2018 rated it liked it
It was a cute story. I liked how they handled the topic of divorce and remarriage as well as dealing with the stalker ex-wife.
If you are looking for a light summer read, this is a nice one.
Toni Shiloh
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed Ms. Tysinger's debut novel. I look forward to reading another Laurel Cove romance.
Terressa
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I felt like I knew the characters before I finished the first chapter! Every page brought a deeper sense of being someplace familiar; in thought, word, action and friends. Ms Tysinger has a wonderful writing style. I didn't want to leave this story.
Denise Hershberger
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic debut novel! I am not usually that taken by a cover of a book. To me what is important is the story and the characters. But this cover caught my eye a long time ago. I can't even remember if I saw it on Facebook or Goodreads but I KNEW I HAD to read this book. And I am so glad that Teresa Tysinger sent me an advanced copy to read because it was AMAZING. And I'm not just saying that because I got a free early copy. It truly was a wonderful book for many reasons.

I loved the
Just Commonly
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
"The place reminded her of a refined lady, full of subtle beauty and without any entitlement or pride of position." (25)

Someplace Familiar by Teresa Tysinger will bring you to someplace familiar. It's the place that in your heart, it reminds you of what it was, or what it could've been, but also a place that held a special meaning. Someplace Familiar is also familiar in many ways because Livy is so relate-able, you can't help but find similarities.

"No coincidences, only affirmations
Jeanette Fallon
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Laurel Cove, North Carolina is the place you want to go to. It's a small community with good neighbors and people who care. Livy has fond memories of spending time there with her grandmother. She is trying to forget the abusive relationship she just escaped from. Her grandmother's old home is up for sale. Maybe this was God's plan for her.

Jack never left Laurel Cove. He grew up there and continued running the family hardware store. He married and was ready to have a happy life. A yea
Debbie
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm reading, I know not a surprise to anyone, but here is another proof that books do more than entertain.
In this book a character is complaining that life isn't fair and this is what his pastor replies
"what's right isn't always fair, Jack." "Fairness assumed something deserved." He didn't really deserve.......He wasn't perfect-never would be." "But if what was right included......" "Man, I tell you, if fairness led the way, God would never forgive any of us for anything. " "And grace is
Deana Dick
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a breath of fresh air this story is. Livy is a wonderful character who decides to fix her grandmother's cottage up. It's time for a new start for Livy after a relationship that was unhealthy for her ends. When the author described the cottage and all the repairs needed, it made me remember this little shack my husband and I built . We had some land and decided to build a one room cabin . It was hard work, but as it started to come together, I feel in love with the place.

Reading about Livy
Crystal
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After having her self-esteem and self-worth crushed by her former boyfriend, Livy Johnson vows to begin the healing process and find herself again. To start the process, she buys her Gram's former house with the intent of restoring this cherished home filled with happy memories from her childhood including memories spent one summer playing with her childhood friend, JB- a.k.a. Jack Bowdon. After running into each other at Jack's aunt's inn where Livy is staying, the two not only get re-acquaint, ...more
Karla
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing

The cover of this book immediately caught my eye! There is something about it that calls to me saying, "READ ME!" As Teresa Tysinger is a new author, the novel was an unknown territory to me. How glad I am that that cover caught my attention! Upon starting to read, I was whisked away to a place called Laurel Cove where I met and connected with some of the most interesting people.

The main characters, Livy and Jack were described in such a detailed and realistic fashion that it was ver
MJSH
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
"He said that the love they shared flooded into the deep cracks of his grief like grains of sand. That it didn't stitch the cracks closed, just filled in the wounds so that they were bearable."

This is the first book by Teresa Tysinger that I have read and it was enjoyable. The book combined raw emotion, heady romance, good friendships, and memorable characters with a distinct theme of grace, forgiveness, and second chance. Anyone who enjoys a good contemporary romance will enjoy this
Lenoire
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Livy Johnson decides she needs a fresh start after her relationship crumbles with her abusive ex. With her fresh start, she can mend her broken heart and follow her dreams while becoming her true self. As luck would have it, she comes across a listing for her grandmother's old home in the small community of Laurel Cove, North Carolina. Livy believes the distraction of restoring her grandmother's cottage along with the happy memories from her childhood will help heal her ailing heart.

Lynn
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A refreshing story of love and romance after heartache and disappointment. Livy Johnson returns back to her Grandmother's home that she spent Summer's visiting to fix it up to its original glory days and make a home in the mountains of North Carolina. After a rough break up with her ex boyfriend, she decides New York is no longer home, or even home to start with and returns back to her childhood roots.

What she wasn't expecting was new friendships and rekindled old childhood friendshi
Rosalyn
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a sweet, simple romance. Set in someplace familiar--Grandma's house and hometown!

Two people, Livy and Jack. They met in their childhood days. Now they meet again and their is an instant attraction. But they now have past baggage to deal with.

Hurts, self-worth, moving on, learning to trust, and so much more are found in this story.

I like the small-town setting. I love reading about Grandma's house. (for me, Grandma's house was always such a homey place
Phyllis
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
My review is 4.5 Stars

Someplace Familiar was a beautifully written book, with lovely prose that was comfortable and cozy.

Jack’s compliments collected inside her like shells in her pocket during a walk on the beach.

As Jack and Livy set out to restore her grandmother’s cottage that she had stayed in as a child, the restoration of their hearts began. The renewal of their childhood acquaintance was so sweet and natural and it was clear that their attraction was no
Ashley Dawn
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a sweet romance! Livy is needing a fresh start and buying her grandmother's house seems like fate. I really disliked her ex, he was a jerk. Jack recognizes Livy when they run into each other but I like that she didn't recognize him. That made it even better.

Jack is completely sweet and I loved his group of friends. Actually, I loved the whole town. The group that pitches in and helps just because and not expecting anything. That is how I grew up and I miss people like that!
Carol Keen
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book worked for me. First, Livy is an artist, so I connected with her right away. Next, I know people in North Carolina. Now, I have to say, North Carolina isn't nearly as Southern as I'd hoped it would be, but this book manages to keep that out of the picture and used truer "Southern-ness" like you'd have where I come from. I was grateful for that. Jack and Livy complement each other and their relationship grows naturally in this story. It's very "at home" because I'm very familiar with th ...more
I am a wife and mother transplanted from North Carolina now living in Nashville. When not working as a communications/graphic design professional, I write charming southern romances inspired by grace. My debut novel, Someplace Familiar, released in the summer of 2017 and is available here. I am a member of American Christian Fiction Writers, Religious Communicators’ Council, and the Association fo ...more
“Hiding had been effortless in New York City. Getting lost in a sea of people was as easy as stepping onto a crowded Subway car. Sweet Laurel Cove would be very different. Generations of families filled its church pews, ran its farms, and schooled its children. Anonymity was as rare as lightning bugs in wintertime—as her grandmother would say.” 3 likes
“Livy hadn’t anticipated meeting anyone and wasn’t ready to explain why the last few years
of her life had worn her so much, leaving her searching for home. Surely, Jack didn’t care to hear a sob story from a perfect stranger. Actually, Livy wasn’t sure she believed that. Something whispered inside her soul that Jack was just the person she needed to tell.”
1 likes