Start by marking “The Demon Duke (Put Up Your Dukes #1)” as Want to Read:
The Demon Duke (Put Up Your Dukes #1)

The Demon Duke

(Put Up Your Dukes #1)

Behind every good man is a great secret.

Banished to Yorkshire as a boy for faults his father failed to beat out of him, Damon Blackbourne has no use for English society and had vowed never to return to his family’s estate at Thorne Hill, much less London. However, when his father and brother die in a freak carriage accident, it falls on Damon to take up the mantle of the M
Published June 6th 2017 by Locked On Love Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Demon Duke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Demon Duke

Katy
You guys. This book. Read it. Read it now. I loved this book. I read it in three hours. My grinchy heart grew three sizes that day.

Why isn't this book a thing? The Demon Duke is everything I love about romance. It turned me into a blubbering mess. It's over the top. Mushy. Sad. Sexy. And so, so, romantic. I get that some people might read this book and roll their eyes. It's all about what you're looking for in your romance and what mood you're in. I'm pretty sure I'll always be in the mood for
Ursula
For me, this story was definitely well-intentioned. To write a hero with a disability (view spoiler) that many don't understand, even today, and plonk him in Regency England, is a brave call. And that aspect was really well-described and I had a great deal of time for the hero, the Duke. He really had been through hell.
It was just that the writing was too modern and there were too many historical inconsistencies for the book to work on that level. To introduce
Ally
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 02-purchased-99
Love the idea and intention of this book, execution suffered a bit.

sweet

Read as a Buddy Read with the Historical Book Club

Series: I think so but the other books are Time Travel. Color me lost.

Sexy times: A coupla times. This was all store bought vanilla ice cream so not a whole lot there. Missing some french vanilla, you know? I woulda liked some more ice cream, know what I mean?

where's my ice cream

Plan on reading more by the author: No. Not unless she gets out of the TT business.

Synopsis
Damon has been banished to som
Elena
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked up The Demon Duke after reading some great reviews for it, dived right into it full of great expectations aaand... I didn't like it much. Admittedly there's nothing wrong with it: I could just say that The Demon Duke wasn't really my cup of tea and call it a day.

*snorts* Yeah, right.

Other reviewers have already pointed out historical inaccuracies and anachronisms so I won't dwell on them - if not to say that they probably would have been less grating if Locke didn't intersperse her de
Joanna Loves Reading
Ok, this isn't a terrible book, I don't think. The romance seems sweet. There is a very modern feel, and there are issues with transition (I had to reread several passages to try to make sense). It just felt at best average, and I don't feel like continuing on with it. Life's too short, that sort of deal. Maybe I will try later.
Sam (AMNReader)
This book was very sweet, but at times just hit me over the head a bit too much...

More to come.
Umaiya ✨Insignificant September✨

Was this the best book I've read? No.
It was unnecessarily long, dragged and by the end I was glad it was finally over so I could get some shut eye and quite convinced it was a 2.5 star read.

This would have a really bitchy, horrid review were it not for the author note at the end.
Without a doubt I was sympathetic to the cause but even more so after reading of the author's son suffering from the condition. I can't imagine how difficult it must be and how heartbreaking too.
So an extra .5 star cause
Donna
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful story! Damon Blackbourne, now Duke of Malford, has what we now call Tourette’s Syndrome. As a child, his father beat him and then sent him away. Luckily for him, the servants who took care of him treated him as a normal boy. His father and older brother are both deceased and he must take over the running of the estate and escorting his mother and sisters to London.

Grace Mattersley (22), loves books and is not worried about being nearly on the shelf. Her father cheated on her mother so
Cyndi
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tabetha Waite
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the pleasure of meeting Margaret at RWA in Denver, and let me tell you, she was a true delight! This book was a RITA finalist for good reason. It tackled real issues of today, ones that were completely blown out of proportion in historical times. She wrote with a knowledge of polite society from the Regency era. Kudos!!
InD'tale Magazine
Regency romance lovers will savor this story, interspersed with perfect amounts of romance, intrigue and redemption.

Read full review in the 2017 October issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Judy
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First let's mention that gorgeous cover. And props for being accurate to the story.
So Damon, the demon duke of the story was given a unique affliction (which I wouldn't say is a spoiler since its obviously mentioned from the first chapter) of Tourette 's. This would have been misunderstood for the time period so I bought into everything the author had Damon go through battling his compulsions. He made a great book hero with instant sympathy. Grace the heroine was less of a success. When I think
Patricia Wissore
My first book by this author and I have to say I loved it! I've also realized I'm going to have to now go read her Magic of Love series! Love how they're all connected by family and yet still a read-alone book! Grace was my favorite type of heroine, in that she was plain spoken and her interaction with Damon showed the strong heroine she was. Damon and Grace both have several sisters and I can't wait to read their stories!
Tatiana Romanov
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite book yet by Locke, I was not expecting the Demon Duke's dark secret to play out the way it did. I found this story touching and enlightening, and the book challenged me to re-evaluate how we judge others and ourselves.
Sherri Hollister
The Demon Duke by Margaret Locke

This is the first book I’ve read by Margaret Locke. I read the description on a Facebook ad and knew this was a book I had to read. I love characters that are different. Anyone can love the rich and beautiful but who will love someone who is less than perfect. Since I’ve yet to meet any of those perfect people, I’m interested in seeing how heroes and heroines can compliment each other. How one’s strength overcomes another’s weakness.

The Demon Duke is the first boo
Dan
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Page Turner!

I had never read a romance novel until I stated the Matter of Time series, which I loved. With the Demon Duke, Locke brings to life Regency England due to her deft inclusion of detail. As in the Matter of Time series, the characters in this book have real insecurities with which they struggle, difficult relationships, but also wonderful qualities. This realistic approach gives so much more dimension than sugar-coated characters. The writing quality is equally great. I cannot wait for
BookWorm
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving this one 4 stars because it gave us something different to the usual historical romance - a leading man with tourette syndrome. You could really empathise with how Damon felt so separate from society. The romance with Grace was very sweet and her acceptance was exactly what Damon needed. Grace was a tiny bit boring in that we've seen her character type many times before but overall it was a good read.
Christine
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Arc review For honest review. Damon Blackbourne becomes duke after a accident. Grace matterstey he meets her when he was hiding due to his tick he has .he asked her if she's afraid of the demon duke .I love how she excepts him for who he is. Awesome story
Kimberly Westrope
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Well, I have just added another book to my favorites shelf. This story of Damon and Grace is so wonderfully written. I completely fell in love with Damon, not only because he is devastatingly handsome, as well as sweet and caring, but also due to the fact that I share his disdain for large gatherings and social obligations. And that library, who could resist? My favorite line comes near the end, ..."anywhere with you and a fine library cannot be anything but paradise."

Grace, though an introvert,
Emily M Johnson
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my favorite book by Margaret Locke (so far). I really liked both of the main characters and appreciated their individual stories and the romance, acceptance and unconditional of their relationship. I also loved the reappearance of Eliza and Deveric!
Elizabeth
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Margaret Locke weaves another delightful Regency romance -- just when you think it's predictable, she twists the plot to keep you guessing. She deftly works in tidbits from past books that reward her loyal readers but are in no way necessary to the enjoyment of the story. Romance is usually not my genre, but I enjoy this author's work and am glad to have shared a professional women's group with her.

This book has another interesting element that adds richness—her protagonist, the dark, brooding,
Wendy Tavenner
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the book from the first page turner!! Damon was banished as a young kid for supposedly being evil. He had not seen his family in over 16 years, then he becomes the Duke after his father and brother are killed. He believes himself a demon because of a ticking affliction. Only by the Grace of God, Lady Grace saves him from himself. A wonderful story with an even better ending!!
BJ
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good
3.5 stars. H has tourette syndrome, when his father dies, he inherits and has to take his place in society. The h is a thinker, not shy, but an observer of others. They meet and have immediate connection. He wants her and she calms him. The story should have been good, but it was quite slow and felt a little off, or flat.
Sylvia
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I have read from this author. I am totally hooked. This story was a heartfelt story about being different and the stigma about being different. I love the narration by Edward James Beesley.
Gmr
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic start to a promising new series! Author Margaret Locke weaves her wordy magic once again giving us a grand (and at times lesser grand considering the circumstances) romp through the times of Dukes, Duchesses, and other assorted titles, in a tale that promises much and delivers more still. I loved the seemingly imperfect Duke, scandalized by a society that simply did not understand... and the fact that he was inspired by real world heroes, touched my heart. What Damon did for that child ...more
Joan Osborne
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Touching and beautiful love story

What a touching and beautiful story that captured my interest and my heart throughout. I absolutely loved Damon and his struggles and treatment by his own father because of his affliction, which at the time was an unknown condition called Tourette's, just broke my heart. Damon was so deserving of finding his happily ever after and Grace was the perfect heroine for him. The struggles that someone with Tourette's deals with are difficult enough to deal with in our
Natward1yahoo.com
Didn't finish after page 32. I liked this book at first. The premise was very original. I liked the trials that Damon was going through. It was interesting and intriguing. I also liked grace from the little I saw of her. She seemed nice. The writing seemed okay too, with the exception of leaning slightly on the repetitive side, but nothing too bad. But the deal breaker for me was the stupid scene when grace and Damon first meet. I just cannot read a another book that starts off with the love int ...more
Diane Sallans
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
I received a copy of this book thru a Goodreads Giveaway. It's the first book I've read by Margaret Locke. She's now on my radar and I'll look for more of her books to read - I think this book may be the first in a new series - and it apparently mentions characters from an earlier series. The first thing that attracted me was the cover, then that it featured a Duke (I am a succor for stories about a Duke). I liked the character Damon Blackbourne - unexpectantly the new Duke of Malford after the ...more
Debby "Piene Raven"
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: authors-k-l
Damon Blackbourne, Duke of Malford has his share of problems including his illness. Sent off to live in an Abbey at age of 10 years to fend for himself until adulthood was painful. After the deaths of his abusive father and cowardly brother, he becomes Duke and has a history of being labeled the "Demon Duke" by the ton.

He meets his soul mate Grace Mattersley who lives in her own little fairytale book work. She is not phased by his tics and grows to care for the person inside and not the outer m
Josette
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read a pre-publication copy of this book and loved it. Maybe my favorite of Margaret Locke's books so far, this is the first in a new series but also builds on the stories she started in her first three novels.

In 1814 England, Damon is in his late 20s when he learns his father and older brother have been killed in a carriage accident, making him the new Duke of Malford. Not only hasn't he been trained to be duke, he's also spent the last 17 years or so in exile. But now that he's back and runn
Goodreads Librari...: Page Count 2 13 Jan 06, 2018 05:37AM
Historical Romanc...: BR: The Demon Duke 66 29 Nov 22, 2017 03:03PM
Don't tell anyone, but I started reading romance at the age of ten. I'd worked my way through all of the children's books available in the local bookmobile, so I turned to the adult section, where I spied a book with a woman in a flowing green dress on the cover. The back said something about a pirate. I was hooked (and still wish I could remember the name of that fateful book!).

My delight in wit

Put Up Your Dukes (2 books)
  • The Legendary Duke (Put Up Your Dukes #2)