Start by marking “All-American Murder: The Rise and Fall of Aaron Hernandez, the Superstar Whose Life Ended on Murderers' Row” as Want to Read:

Aaron Hernandez was a college All-American who became the youngest player in the NFL and later reached the Super Bowl. His every move as a tight end with the New England Patriots played out the headlines, yet he led a secret life--one that ended in a maximum-security prison. What drove him to go so wrong, so fast?

Between the summers of 2012 and 2013, not long after Hernand
Published January 22nd 2018 by Little, Brown and Company

Start your review of All-American Murder: The Rise and Fall of Aaron Hernandez, the Superstar Whose Life Ended on Murderers' Row
Matt
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Capitalising on some ‘pulled from the headlines’ impetus, James Patterson collaborates with Alex Abramovich and Mike Harvkey to bring readers into the troubled life of former NFL star Aaron Hernandez, exploring his rise to fame before he stumbled and crashed into a legal quagmire that would eventually lead to his suicide in 2017. While football may not have been the first thing people considered when mentioning Connecticut, anyone who had heard of Aaron Hernandez might feel differently. A powerh ...more
Tabby
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down. I bought it a few hours ago and stayed up until 4am reading it. It was written so well and had so much information I never knew about. I was a fan of Hernandez, until it came to light that he was involved in Lloyd’s murder. The story fascinated me and still does. Patterson did an amazing job writing about it and the details he used. Truly a great read!
Tooter
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 Stars
Stacey
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Aaron Hernandez is big deal in the NFL. The news of the crimes he committed is a big deal. As this was happening, it was off my radar so I was unfamiliar with Aaron Hernandez and the crime. Lucky for me I get everything all wrapped up in a book.

I was so impressed with Patterson's last true crime Filthy Rich, I had high expectations for All-American Murder. I was left a little underwhelmed. The timeline was good starting from Hernandez's youth to his last days in prison. This guy was such a ninco
Erin
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm not a fan of Football. Its just not my jam, I'm a Basketball & Figure Skating girl. Despite the fact that I don't watch Football, even I know who the New England Patriots are(the only other teams I know are the Cincinnati Bengals & the Cleveland Browns) but the first time I heard the name Aaron Hernandez was when I watched clips of his murder trial. As a True Crime fanatic, I love a celebrity trial more than anything else.

All American Murder tells the stranger than fiction tale of star Foot
Mandy
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
As an English person, I will confess that what I know about american football would probably not even fill a sheet of A3 paper, but I found this to be a fascinating read. I'd never heard of Aaron Hernandez before this, I'm not sure why, as the court cases and then his death received worldwide coverage.
As I was reading this I thought that Aaron was arrogant enough to believe himself above the law, but having finished it I think that it's a little more complicated than that.
I do like James Patter
Lisa
An interesting but tragic story of the violent acts of Aaron Hernandez and his ultimate death.

SUMMARY
Aaron Hernandez was a college All-American who became the youngest player in the NFL and later reached the Super Bowl. His every move as a tight-end for the New England Patriots played out in the headlines, yet he led a secret life. A life that ended in a maximum-security prison. What drove him to go so wrong, so fast? Between the summers of 2012 and 2013 not long after Hernandez made his first
Jeanette
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Non-fiction like this opens a window into an entire life in such a way that rarely, rarely makes it into the 364.1523 classification. Patterson has his name on it and the feature of short chapters is recognizable from forms used within his fiction work. But there is where all comparisons stop, IMHO. This just seems a better level of observation, and especially context nuance and particulars- down to conversation phone, recordings, video records that put them all into Aaron's mouth, eyes, movemen ...more
Mariah Roze
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Mariah Roze by: Matt
I just watched the Netflix special and learned all about Aaron Hernandez, so naturally when I discovered that there was a book about him written by James Patterson. I had to read it. This book was very detailed and interesting. It went more in-depth about different areas than Netflix did, so it is still worth a read. I highly suggest this book :)

"Aaron Hernandez was a college All-American who became the youngest player in the NFL and later reached the Super Bowl. His every move as a tight end wi
Vicki Willis
To be in the wrong place at the wrong time once would be bad luck, but to be in the wrong place at the wrong time in regards to shootings and murder over and over and over creates a much different picture. I am a big football fan and remember watching Aaron Hernandez come up through college and into the Pros. How someone who had the opportunities and support he had and still chose the path he chose is hard to believe. What a waste. This book put it all in order, his life from childhood to death. ...more
♥ Sandi ❣

Such a sad story about a young man who took his life, when he had so much talent and so much to give. It is another story about a wayward young man, whose talent pushed him into the limelight, when he could not shed his dubious background.

Aaron Hernandez died while in prison, convicted of the murder of a good friend. He was a finance', a father, a son and and a brother. He had been a tight end for the Patriots football team. He was dead at 28, from an apparent suicide. CTE was said to
Susan
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
An interesting read for a Bostonian, knowing the streets and alleys where some of the murders took place and knowing a lot of the players involved (no pun intended). I found it to be pretty engrossing and read it in one day. And it left me feeling sorry for Aaron Hernandez, which is something since he was a murderer when it came right down to it.
Frances L Dobbs
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Guilty? I think not.

Maybe I'm one of the few who enjoys facts about a case. While many have boycotted this book I could not. I am a Florida girl, born and raised right here in Alachua County. Home of the Fighting Gators!
I remember Aaron playing for UF. I remember the issues he faced here and I always asked the same question... Can they prove it was him? You can put him anywhere you want in the picture but can you prove it was him?
Some may call me crazy, some will disagree with me, but hear me
Morgan
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
I have never read a James Patterson book before, (though i often question whether ol' JP does more than rubber stamp his name on the final draft) so I was surprised at the short chapters. Page 228 of 363 was chapter 71.

I'm not sure if any new information was brought to light, but it felt pretty thorough.

Maybe too liberal use of pronouns, as at times it was confusing differentiating whether the "he" was hernandez or his friend Bradley, especially in the context of text message conversations.

Th
Paul
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a troubling, somewhat lurid book about the life, crimes, and death of Aaron Hernandez, a one-time tight end for the New England Patriots NFL team.

My takeaways: Every single owner of an NFL team is a billionaire. The NFL is a greedy, immoral organization that elevates and pays huge sums to excellent athletes for perhaps five to ten years of their lives, bashes their brains to pulp, and has long tried to ignore or minimize the epidemic of CTE--chronic traumatic encephalopathy that has been
Pam
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
What a thug, and tremendous waste of real athletic ability. This story also reflects poorly on the business of football in general, collegiate and NFL. Avid fans may enjoy this but I'm not in that camp. My husband bought this book and it was sitting on the coffee table.
Lisa K
Mar 14, 2018 rated it liked it
I just finished my first James Patterson book...does anybody know of any good Aaron Hernandez books? I just wanted to know what happened but the only real info I got was that Tim Tebow and Tom Brady were so annoying to hang with that they literally drove poor Aaron to do multiple homicides?
Ariel
Mar 08, 2018 added it
Shelves: true-crime
This is a straightforward telling of the tragic story of Aaron Hernandez. Aaron was an extremely gifted athlete who threw away his talent in favor of living the thug life. He had everything going for him and through bad luck, bad choices, and the possible destruction of his brain through repeated hits to his head his life went into a downward spiral of drugs and eventually murder. This book didn't do a great job of developing all of the characters like the best true crime books do. After finishi ...more
Moriah
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was very interesting to read. I never knew who he was until the trial of Odin. The reason I’m rating it as a 4 is I wish that it had gone into more detail about the suicide, the letters, etc. i just felt like it ended too abruptly with not enough information
Deb Jones
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
James Patterson brings his award-winning writing to true crime in this look at Aaron Hernandez, his life before the NFL and the crimes he was charged with and subsequently found guilty of some and not guilt of others.

Hernandez's ability to make great decisions on the football field did not always extend to his personal life as far as his choice of friends. His loyalty to those friends and their actions went a long way toward his own actions, including a proclivity to violence.

Written in Patters
Claire- Louise
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
After watching the Aaron Hernandez documentary on Netflix, this book filled in a lot of the blanks for me. There were so many elements to the murders and the psychological make up of the killer, Aaron Hernandez. Despite being a likeable guy and a talented sportsman, underneath he was clearly a troubled individual with sociopathic tendencies, a head injury and a drug problem. Here is someone who had the world at his feet, yet was still drawn into a shady lifestyle. The case presented is that the ...more
Lisa Konet
I wanted to read this because I dliske all things Patriots but this was actually a quite intriguing account of Aaron Hernandez. He has the smarts, good looks and charm. He actually grew up not too far from me in Bristol, Connecticut, while I was south on the shoreline of Connecticut. He had everything going for him in his life, but I couldn't leave behind his not-so-nice friends back in Connecticut or give up his party habits. He honestly just makes one bad decision after another and it just esc ...more
Donna Lewis
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book because I was curious about how a man with seemingly everything going for him could be convicted of murder and subsequently commit suicide. (You can tell this is a Patterson book because of the short chapters...and writing credit is shared with two other authors.). But as to Mr. Hernandez. He lost his father, he lost his focus, he was a very talented athlete, he believed in his invincibility, he abused many drugs, he hung with and was totally loyal to his gang/criminal friends, ...more
Katherine "Kj" Joslin
I have been following this story for quite some time and while a lot of this book was "from the headlines" facts that I was already aware of, there was a lot of information during the court proceedings that I was not aware of. Worth the read.
Sydney
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not sure I would convict one person of first degree murder when 3 men were present, but an excellent book, unbiased and well written
Carol
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fall River, Massachusetts (CNN)Former New England Patriots star Aaron Hernandez looked on impassively Wednesday as he was sentenced to life without the possibility of parole, a new low for a young man who once enjoyed a $40 million pro-football contract and now stands convicted in the 2013 murder of onetime friend Odin Lloyd.

Hernandez, 25, appeared to shake his head "no" earlier as jurors in the Massachusetts trial found him guilty of first-degree murder. He was also found guilty of unlawful pos
Angela Williamson
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book did not let up once I started reading it. I had not kept up with this case as it was happening so a lot of this was new to me. The authors tried to present a balanced, unbiased story. Because I question so many things, I wonder how much of Hernandez's behavior was due to repeated tackles and hits to the head. Or was it the drugs and the people he ran around with? Would things have been different if his father had lived? Were there too many excuses made based on his football abilities a ...more
Megan BG
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Appropriate that I listened to this the week before the Super Bowl (I'm a Patriots fan). This really makes you dislike football players and how much they get away with (the NCAA... the NFLPA...). Not necessarily murder... but there a lot of people who could have gotten him real help (not blaming anyone other than Aaron, but Florida and Urban Meyer - I am also an OSU fan - swept some things under the rug). What a waste... smart guy, just never sought the help he really needed.
Savanah Rae
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Koren
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: true-crime
If you are a football fan you are probably familiar with the name Aaron Hernandez. Aaron could have had the world by the tail but instead went down the path of drugs, gangs, violence and murder. He was a very talent player in college and played a few years for the New England Patriots. This book raises a question about whether brain injuries from football and rampant drug use played a role in the murderer's thinking. The author leaves it up to you to decide.
A Novel Idea Book...: FEBRUARY Book DISCUSSION 3 8 Feb 07, 2019 05:21AM
A Novel Idea Book...: FEBRUARY Book Discussion Questions 1 4 Jan 30, 2019 07:52AM
A Novel Idea Book...: FEBRUARY BOOK - Starts soon! 3 5 Jan 30, 2019 07:34AM
A Novel Idea Book...: February Book 1 6 Jan 09, 2019 04:47AM

• The Truth About Aaron: My Journey to Understand My Brother
  • Unnecessary Roughness: Inside the Trial and Final Days of Aaron Hernandez
  • Aaron Hernandez's Killing Fields: Exposing Untold Murders, Violence, Cover-Ups, and the NFL's Shocking Code of Silence
  • The President Is Missing
  • American Predator: The Hunt for the Most Meticulous Serial Killer of the 21st Century
  • Theodore Roosevelt Trilogy
  • The Darkest Places: Unsolved Mysteries, True Crimes, and Harrowing Disasters in the Wild
  • I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer
  • The Menendez Murders: The Shocking Untold Story of the Menendez Family and the Killings that Stunned the Nation
  • Exposed: The Secret Life of Jodi Arias
  • Presumed Guilty: Casey Anthony: the Inside Story
  • Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony
  • Fantasy Man: A Former NFL Player's Descent into the Brutality of Fantasy Football
  • The Reckoning
Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson is the world’s bestselling author and most trusted storyteller. He has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today, with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. He has sold over 380 million books wo