Start by marking “The Clockwork Ghost (York, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Clockwork Ghost (York, #2)

The Clockwork Ghost

(York #2)

It was only a few weeks ago that the Biedermann twins, Tess and Theo, along with their friend Jaime Cruz, followed the secrets of the Morningstarrs’ cipher further anyone had in its century-and-a-half history—and destroyed their beloved home in the process. But the Old York Cipher still isn’t solved. The demolition of 354 W. 73rd Street only revealed the next clue in the g ...more
Published May 14th 2019 by Walden Pond Press

To ask other readers questions about The Clockwork Ghost, please sign up.
Wayong It says May 12, 2019.

It says May 12, 2019.

Gideon, I’m not certain where you got the idea that The Clockwork Ghost aka York #2 is already released unless you received an ARC. (in that case, lucky you!😺)

I’m looking forward to finding out more about this steampunk alternative reality- portal story with ethnically diverse characters with a Latino geek & pre-B’nai Mitzvah twins with the most adorable & fierce service cat.(less)
Hallie Mae
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Clockwork Ghost (York, #2)
Amy Bruestle
I won this book through a Goodreads giveaway in exchange for an honest review a while back, but since it is the sequel to another book, I wanted to find and read #1 first. Now that I have finished both, I can definitely say that I will be reading the 3rd and final book that concludes the York Cipher trilogy! What a great read! I was a little worried because the title was listed under YA releases and I tend to prefer more “adult” books. However, even though this was considered young adult, there ...more
Alaina
THIS WAS SO GOOD! Please tell me there's another book?

The Clockwork Ghost was, again, so freaking good! I don't know what it is about this series but it's a lot of fun to listen to. Maybe next time around, whenever I'm in the mood for a re-read, I will try out the physical or ebook version. Just like in the first book, the gang is still solving the cipher which honestly had me completely sucked in. I'm a terrible detective and an okay-ish problem solver.. so I was glad that I wasn't in this book
Skip
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Like its predecessor, Book # 2 in the York series is a wonderful combination of steampunk, mystery and alternate history. With their upper west side apartment building destroyed in the last book, the lead trio (twins Tess, Theo and friend Jaime) are separated: the twins live in Queens now with their parents, and Jaime with his grandmother in New Jersey.) They spend all of their time together to finish solving the Morningstarrs’ cipher, plenty of which is with surprising Aunt Esther. The disappea ...more
Emily
I have no idea what's going on AND I LOVE IT.

New characters: I ADORE that we get Karl's perspective. Ono was so charming and I love him and he needs to be protected at all costs. The blond ladies are great villains -- not as delightfully creepy as Stoop and Pinscher, but I find the implications of their existence more interesting. Can't wait to see more of Dr. Newt.

New story developments: (view spoiler) Very creative twists and tu
Kirsten McKenzie
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A worthy successor to the first book in the series, which I devoured in two days. Every page stunningly twisty and turny, leading you on a merry chase through a steampunk utopian New York City.

With wonderfully age appropriate characters, and the right number of adults getting in their way, this code breaking romp is perfect for tween readers (and their parents), and for those people who prefer their books without any sex or swearing.

It reminds me of the Lemoncello Library series, but with more
Aly
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, audiobook
Once again, middle grade mysteries rock! They're so much fun and not weighed down with too much dialogue and paced well. There is so much going on in this book and even when we get clues, there's more questions. I also loved that we got random points of view, like Rocket the raccoon and Candy the blonde woman lol. This book didn't have the urgency of the first, there's no deadline to solving the cipher and so it was a little slower. I still had fun listening to it and even laughed a couple times ...more
Kim
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“To be concluded” what?!?!?!

Ok rewind, summarize. This book is a continuation of the first diving further into the Cipher of the Morningstarr twins. It follows the 3 preteens through discovering clues and the villains attempting to thwart their gain in the cipher.

I thought the clues in this book were way cooler and I even learned a few things. I must admit I skipped over the different letter clues because obviously it’s going to be solved in like a page or 2.

However, I felt like the author had
Rebekah
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
An excellent sequel! I loved the character development, the many middle of the night escapades and the growing friendship between the three kids. And I most heartily approve of the librarian, robot, and disguises. Aunt Esther is the BEST!

The Jurassic Park thing in the middle there is a bit weird, and that new character there is a bit . . . impossible? Actually, the last 50 pages or so were all pretty much impossible. So I would recommend going into this one with an open mind, and if you get real
Dreximgirl
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I listened to this one on audiobook and really enjoyed it. It wasn't quite as good as book one and I felt it didn't answer as many questions as I was hoping it would. But I still love the characters and some new mystery elements are added in which make it even more intriguing. The ending though! I need the next book now! What a reveal cliffhanger!
Kidlitter
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
One has to admire a children's book that begins with a quote from Baudelaire about Paris - "What strange phenomena we find in a great city, all we need do is stroll about with our eyes open. Life swarms with innocent monsters." Fans of Ruby's previous book in the York series will know it is a perfect fit for the world of steampunk, mystery and alternate-history she created so skillfully in the The Shadow Cipher, the first book of the series. How good it is to see Tess and Theo Biedermann and the ...more
Camryn
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What was that ending? I feel like this is going to get all mind twisty and bendy, moreso than it already was. But I don't really mind, because the way this is written isn't convoluted or annoying or confusing. I usually don't like fantasy, but this is done really, really well. I love the alternate version of Manhattan and all the history weaved in. Laura Ruby makes sure that she focuses on women (not just white women) and men who really wouldn't have their stories be so important today. Like, th ...more
 christine ✩
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
the parrot is my spirit animal

quotes edgar allan poe and sings hamilton

wait now i have to wait another year for the next book....
Emma
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can't wait to read the 3rd book there was such a hang off.
Megan
Not entirely sure what just happened?
Emma
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
Grade: B+
An ARC was provided by HarperCollins in exchange for an honest review.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: The York series is like The Mysterious Benedict Society for a modern audience, but I love it way more than I ever liked TMBS.
With their apartment building demolished, the lead trio are separated by the entire island of Manhattan (the twins live in Queens now, and Jaime in New Jersey) but they're determined to spend time together and continue to solve the cipher.
There are themes of tryi
Rhyllis Bignell
Loved the second York novel, filled with mystery, crime-solving kids, missing chimera, code-cracking , intriguing settings and more mysteries to solve. Laura Ruby's world-building in a future New York, her intriguing characters and strong main characters make this an exciting novel for readers from 11+.
Jill
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite middle grade series, and hoping to give it some hype when it comes out - kids need to read it!! Ono is my new favorite friend, and I love the ending! Just dying for the next book now!
Eden
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gosh this book was so good. I love how fast-paced and action packed these stories are. There is never a dull moment.

I also love the history that’s packed into the story. Ahhh so good!!! I can’t wait for the next one!
Melinda Beatty
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE books about puzzles and treasure hunts and this follow up to THE SHADOW CIPHER was just as entertaining and exciting at the first! Can't wait for book 3.
Lesley Burnap
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think this slice of Laura Ruby’s story is even better than the first. Everything is getting more curious as more layers are revealed. Clever, adventurous storytelling that has you craving answers!
Amita
May 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yes, best
I love the first book. But this one surpasses it.

Everything that I put in my review for the first book still applies, so I'm not gonna repeat everything I said. I'll just list the new stuff.

The additional emotional depth:
The first book never lacked in this. But new levels were reached here. Jaime is dealing with some pretty heavy stuff like discrimination/racism, Theo is having a growing crisis as he finds out that everything he thought he knew isn't so black and white, and Tess. I get so sad (s
Leah
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This felt much slower than the first book. There was a bit of action and fun and humor in this story, but it also had a lot of not much happening. The mystery from the first book continues in this one and will continue in the next one. It was still interesting, but I wanted more answers. I liked the animal plotline. That was the most interesting part of the story.
Becky
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Curiouser and curiouser!! I'm so enjoying this series - these characters are deeply resonant with me, plus the books revolve around puzzles that I'm as eager and trepidatious to solve as the kids are. Very much looking forward to the last installment!
Sarah Newman
3.5 stars - this was a fun continuation from book 1, and I really enjoyed it! Looking forward to the final instalment.
Nicole
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, unowned, 2019
Don’t remember much from the first book and still found this generally enjoyable.
Jasmine
DRAMA, EVIL ADULTS, BIG TIMELINE REVEALS, VENGEFUL CATS.

WHAT A GOOD MIDDLE GRADE.
Julie Rothenfluh
Book 2 of three. Don’t want to say too much. Another mystery added; a new clue rocks everyone. Read it in a day; picking up book 3 tomorrow! Can’t wait!
Vanessa
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I. Love. This. Series! Tess, Theo, and Jaime are back again uncovering more clues to the Morningstarr Cipher. They are all a little shaken after what happened in the previous book to their beloved home; Jaime refuses to accept his new, pristine apartment complex, Theo doubts his intellect for perhaps the first time, and Tess continues to worry about everything.

As the cipher unravels, the group is no longer sure what it will reveal, and whether they want to solve it at all. They are in constant
Wendy
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“The Clockwork Ghost” the second novel in the “York” series opens after the demolition of the Biedermann twins and Jamie Cruz’s home at 354W. 73rd Street, their families forced to move to different locations; Tess and Theo to Queens with their parents and Jaime to New Jersey with his grandmother. But distance hasn’t stopped them pursuing clues to solving the Morningstarrs’ cipher although they have to stay one step ahead of the “fixer” and his gang who are hot on their trail.

Woven into the main
Grace T
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: strong-siblings
THAT ENDING

I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS THAT NEED ANSWERING

(also Princess Bride reference yas)

(also also theo my sweet child who needs a haircut HOW COULD YOU HAVE FALLEN PREY TO THE EAGLES MISCONCEPTION there is a REASON they did not fly to mordor come ON YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE A GENIUS)
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Strangers (Greystone Secrets, #1)
  • Mr. Lemoncello's All-Star Breakout Game (Mr. Lemoncello's Library, #4)
  • The Elephant's Girl
  • The Doughnut King (The Doughnut Fix #2)
  • The Secret of White Stone Gate (Black Hollow Lane, #2)
  • Time Sight
  • Gargantis (The Legends of Eerie-on-Sea, #2)
  • The Obsidian Compass (Time Castaways, #2)
  • The Unbreakable Code (Book Scavenger, #2)
  • 5 Worlds Book 4: The Amber Anthem
  • City Spies
  • Charlie Thorne and the Last Equation
  • Lifeboat 12
  • The Problim Children
  • Stargazing
  • Cape (The League of Secret Heroes #1)
  • All the Greys on Greene Street
  • A Darkness of Dragons (Songs of Magic, #1)
Raised in the wilds of suburban New Jersey, Laura Ruby now lives in Chicago with her family. Her short fiction for adults has appeared in various literary magazines, including Other Voices, The Florida Review, Sycamore Review and Nimrod. A collection of these stories, I'M NOT JULIA ROBERTS, was published by Warner Books in January 2007. Called "hilarious and heart-wrenching" by People and "a knowi ...more

York (3 books)
  • The Shadow Cipher (York, #1)
  • The Map of Stars (York #3)