Start by marking “The Clockwork Ghost (York, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Clockwork Ghost (York, #2)

The Clockwork Ghost

(York #2)

It was only a few weeks ago that the Biedermann twins, Tess and Theo, along with their friend Jaime Cruz, followed the secrets of the Morningstarrs’ cipher further anyone had in its century-and-a-half history—and destroyed their beloved home in the process. But the Old York Cipher still isn’t solved. The demolition of 354 W. 73rd Street only revealed the next clue in the g ...more
Published May 14th 2019 by Walden Pond Press

Win a Copy of This Book

• The Clockwork Ghost by Laura Ruby
    The Clockwork Ghost (York, #2)
    Release date: May 14, 2019
    Enter for a chance to win a finished copy of YORK: THE CLOCKWORK GHOST! From National Book Award finalist and Printz Award winner Laura Ruby comes the ...more

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 5 copies available, 1963 people requesting

Giveaway dates: May 29 - Jun 26, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Clockwork Ghost, please sign up.
    Wayong It says May 12, 2019.

It says May 12, 2019.

Gideon, I’m not certain where you got the idea that The Clockwork Ghost aka York #2 is already released unless you received an ARC. (in that case, lucky you!😺)

I’m looking forward to finding out more about this steampunk alternative reality- portal story with ethnically diverse characters with a Latino geek & pre-B’nai Mitzvah twins with the most adorable & fierce service cat.(less)

Amy Bruestle
    Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I won this book through a Goodreads giveaway in exchange for an honest review a while back, but since it is the sequel to another book, I wanted to find and read #1 first. Now that I have finished both, I can definitely say that I will be reading the 3rd and final book that concludes the York Cipher trilogy! What a great read! I was a little worried because the title was listed under YA releases and I tend to prefer more “adult” books. However, even though this was considered young adult, there ...more
    Emily
    I have no idea what's going on AND I LOVE IT.

New characters: I ADORE that we get Karl's perspective. Ono was so charming and I love him and he needs to be protected at all costs. The blond ladies are great villains -- not as delightfully creepy as Stoop and Pinscher, but I find the implications of their existence more interesting. Can't wait to see more of Dr. Newt.

New story developments: (view spoiler) Very creative twists and tu
    Rebekah
    May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: favorites
    An excellent sequel! I loved the character development, the many middle of the night escapades and the growing friendship between the three kids. And I most heartily approve of the librarian, robot, and disguises. Aunt Esther is the BEST!

The Jurassic Park thing in the middle there is a bit weird, and that new character there is a bit . . . impossible? Actually, the last 50 pages or so were all pretty much impossible. So I would recommend going into this one with an open mind, and if you get real
    Kidlitter
    Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
    One has to admire a children's book that begins with a quote from Baudelaire about Paris - "What strange phenomena we find in a great city, all we need do is stroll about with our eyes open. Life swarms with innocent monsters." Fans of Ruby's previous book in the York series will know it is a perfect fit for the world of steampunk, mystery and alternate-history she created so skillfully in the The Shadow Cipher, the first book of the series. How good it is to see Tess and Theo Biedermann and the ...more
    Camryn
    Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    What was that ending? I feel like this is going to get all mind twisty and bendy, moreso than it already was. But I don't really mind, because the way this is written isn't convoluted or annoying or confusing. I usually don't like fantasy, but this is done really, really well. I love the alternate version of Manhattan and all the history weaved in. Laura Ruby makes sure that she focuses on women (not just white women) and men who really wouldn't have their stories be so important today. Like, th ...more
    Emma
    May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Grade: B+
    An ARC was provided by HarperCollins in exchange for an honest review.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: The York series is like The Mysterious Benedict Society for a modern audience, but I love it way more than I ever liked TMBS.
    With their apartment building demolished, the lead trio are separated by the entire island of Manhattan (the twins live in Queens now, and Jaime in New Jersey) but they're determined to spend time together and continue to solve the cipher.
    There are themes of tryi
    Rhyllis Bignell
    Loved the second York novel, filled with mystery, crime-solving kids, missing chimera, code-cracking , intriguing settings and more mysteries to solve. Laura Ruby's world-building in a future New York, her intriguing characters and strong main characters make this an exciting novel for readers from 11+.
    Eden
    Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Gosh this book was so good. I love how fast-paced and action packed these stories are. There is never a dull moment.

I also love the history that’s packed into the story. Ahhh so good!!! I can’t wait for the next one!
    Jill
    Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    One of my favorite middle grade series, and hoping to give it some hype when it comes out - kids need to read it!! Ono is my new favorite friend, and I love the ending! Just dying for the next book now!
    Melinda Beatty
    May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I LOVE books about puzzles and treasure hunts and this follow up to THE SHADOW CIPHER was just as entertaining and exciting at the first! Can't wait for book 3.
    ↠ cняιsтιηε ✩
    May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    the parrot is my spirit animal

quotes edgar allan poe and sings hamilton

wait now i have to wait another year for the next book....
    Kristen
    May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I've always enjoyed mysteries and love steampunk novels, of which both genres fit the York series. I love the twists and turns and a new character introduced towards the end of the book. Our trio - Tess, Theo and Jaime are on the case to finish solving the cipher, but also a missing cat and raccoon.

There's some interesting new bad guys - including blonde women who all seem to look the same but aren't. I also must say I love Aunt Esther who helps the kids out just a little bit during the book an
    Kirsti Call
    May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I received a copy of this book from the publisher, Walden Pond Press, in exchange for an honest review.

"...Cipheriests knew less than Theo himself. Once, that would have made Theo feel proud. Finally, he was the expert! He didn't feel like an expert. He felt like a lone pea lost in a soup of cream sauce."

This stunning second book in the YORK series is filled with mystery, puzzles, and intriguing characters and situations. Told from the point of view of the Biederman twins,(Tess and Theo)and th
    Karissa
    Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I really enjoyed this second installment in the York series a lot. This volume presents a number of new mysteries which are very intriguing but doesn't really provide any answers yet.

Tess, Theo, and Jaime continue to follow the secrets of the Morningstarrs’ cipher. This leads them to new and interesting discoveries. Along the way they encounter resistance from strange women in red dresses. Eventually things get so dangerous that their very lives may be at stake.

I continue to really enjoy the wor
    Liz Hatcher
    Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I enjoyed this book, but not as much as The Shadow Cipher because - 1. the story didn't flow as well and 2. there were not enough clues to solving the cipher as the first book. The book brought in several new characters who I didn't really like; but, it seems to be a part of the story. There were several exciting and interesting happenings in this book which I enjoyed very much. The discovery of the new little character Ono and the scene in Station One. I understand Ms. Ruby was seriously ill wh ...more
    Brooklyn
    May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    What the!! This book was an amazing sequel to The Shadow Cipher! I loved it sooo much! I want the next book so bad right now! Make sure you have a book you are VERY excited for to read next because I feel a reading slump coming for me! I’m excited for my next read but NOTHING will be able to top this!
    Cecillia
    Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I inhaled this book. A great follow up to the first, and I loved the deeper character developments and finding more clues and the cliffhanger ending. I hope book 3 comes out soon. Thank you Ms. Ruby for your love of New York City and of its long history.
    Grace T
    Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    THAT ENDING

I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS THAT NEED ANSWERING

(also Princess Bride reference yas)

(also also theo my sweet child who needs a haircut HOW COULD YOU HAVE FALLEN PREY TO THE EAGLES MISCONCEPTION there is a REASON they did not fly to mordor come ON YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE A GENIUS)
    Emily
    May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: 2019
    This series just keeps getting better (which I didn't believe possible after falling so in love with the first book). I devoured this whole book in a single day. It's going to be a looooong year waiting for the next (final?) book!
    Fatima
    May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: kindle
    Better and more exciting than the first. The very end makes me worry a bit for how the third book might unfold. But this book was a delightful ride.
    AndrewTheSuperNerd
    Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    OMG when’s the next book coming out??? Ending was confusing in a great way.
    Ms. S
    May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Sarah Sammis
    OK.... the last 10% took a fascinating tangent.

This book doesn't need any time to establish the validity of the cipher. That question has been blown wide open and now it's clear that the twins and their former neighbors are attuned to it in ways that no one previous has been.

66CC99 - marginalized uhoria labyrinth
    May 22, 2019
    Chris Poma
    Feb 06, 2019
    « previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
    • Untitled (Dreamer #3)
    • Like a Love Story
    • Last Night at the Telegraph Club
    • Arcanum
    • Untitled (Nightshade Legacy #2; Nightshade World #8)
    • Sorry For Your Loss
    • Chasing Augustus
    • Dragonfell
    • Lady Hotspur
    • Untitled (Ghost House, #3)
    • The Ragpicker King (Sword Catcher, #2)
    • Finding Orion
    • Untitled (The Book of Dust, #3)
    • Lion Down (FunJungle, #5)
    • Untitled (Threads of Power, #2)
    • Cloudforest (Cloudforest, #1)
    • Spark
    Raised in the wilds of suburban New Jersey, Laura Ruby now lives in Chicago with her family. Her short fiction for adults has appeared in various literary magazines, including Other Voices, The Florida Review, Sycamore Review and Nimrod. A collection of these stories, I'M NOT JULIA ROBERTS, was published by Warner Books in January 2007. Called "hilarious and heart-wrenching" by People and "a knowi ...more

York (2 books)
    • The Shadow Cipher (York, #1)