Start by marking “Quozl” as Want to Read:
Quozl

Quozl

The sci-fi comedy classic that fans will flip over!

From the bestselling author of Jed the Dead--here is the out-of-this-world comedy that introduced "Flip-A-Mation" (animated flip art inside each book) and the most lovable aliens in the universe...

The Quozl knew they'd love the third planet from the sun. But it never occurred to them that anyone lived there...

Includes
Published December 12th 1991 by Severn House (first published May 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Quozl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quozl

Start your review of Quozl
James Steele
May 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Divide it into three parts for easy reference: the landing, the encounter, and integration. The events in landing and encounter are interesting enough. Foster does a wonderful job creating this alien race, complete with their grooming, social and sexual practices. All quite appropriate to establishing their mindset. It’s a great work of society-building.

Ignoring the climax, integration contains the most realistic method of introducing an alien race to the world. Would we really go to government
B.T. Lyons
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books of all time. Sadly the cover art does not do the depth of this book justice, as it weaves a complex society into its integration on Earth with great skill and poise that belies the "cartoony" art. This is definitely a case of "do not judge the book by its cover". The characters are exceptionally well developed, as is the growing interrelationship between the Quozl and Earthlings, and the dangers such interactions can pose. Grab this one for a fast and entertaining read ...more
Jason
Mar 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I first read Quozl as a youth and it quickly became a favorite and often read book. So much so that it was destroyed through constant reading. I found a cherry hardcover copy in a used book store and blazed through the book in a day. Very entertaining and a fascinating commentary on the human condition through the eyes of alien colonists.
Maria Beltrami
The alien invasion at the time of the talk shows. The Quozl are cute aliens, a cross between a cat and a rabbit, lovers of piercing, the bright colors and jewelery, peaceful after a sublimated and ritualized bloody past. At their arrive on Earth, they discove only at the last moment that it is an inhabited planet, which is why they hidden in a place difficult to reach for some fifty years, while all will settle. But one day the inevitable happens: a young human and a young Quozl meet and make ...more
Donna
It's interesting that the original cover of this book (seen here) makes it look like a ridiculous farce while it's actually quite a decent first contact story. It has some humorous moments but it's not a comedy at all. The Quozl come to Earth looking for a new home and are surprised to find it already inhabited by an intelligent species. They manage to live undetected for 50 years but eventually the day comes when they are discovered.

This was a 4 star read most of the way through but the last
Mathew Anderson
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you want an intriguing and heartwarming story about a human and alien meeting for the first time and how their species are later widely introduced to each other, this is as good of a story as it gets. It's like E.T. in a way.

Twenty years since the first book I read by Alan Dean Foster, and I come across this absolute gem of a story. It's easy enough to read yet has a complex and very compelling story.

The initial interaction between a human and quozl is just a nice happy introduction that
Joana Felício
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wishlist, read-to-buy
READ THE FULL REVIEW ON MY BLOG: http://thebookaddictsblog.blogspot.pt...

I got this ebook from Netgalley in return of an honest review.

I need to start by saying that I barely read any books set in space, or with alien characters, so I am not an expert on this matter, but I think I can honestly say this is probably one of the best developed out there right now.
The Quozl culture, their costumes, their identity as inteligent beings, their way of living. It felt as if nothing was left out.
Zeb Kantrowitz
Oct 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-read
Those readers who are familiar with Foster’s ‘Flinx and Pip’ adventures are sure to find this book worthy of those stories. Imagine yourself on an interstellar colonization trip to an unknown planet. You spend five generations getting there, and when you finally land, you are not the only sentient race on the planet. Though you are more advanced technologically, the other race has overwhelming numbers and is divided into warring tribal societies.

It is decided by your High Council that it would
Kevin
Aug 17, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: juvenilia
ADF frequently goes the "comedic" route, but it never works for me. He has a knack for pleasing prose, really he does, but he's fatally bland, and his attempts at humor and horror fall flat. Space opera is his forte; I may knock something like "The Tar-Aiym Krang" or "Icerigger", but if you want a rousing silly scifi adventure they're go-to books. But he aims too low when he goes for broad accessibility, and this, at best, is what he comes up with: bunny rabbit aliens.
There is a not-bad
Jeremy Schwartz
Interesting but naïve

The alien Quozl that Foster created are fascinating. Their culture, philosophy, social hierarchy are unique and very fun to read about. Even their ponderously slow method of space travel and colonization is interesting which allows for a proper introduction into who the Qouzl are as a race. It is only when they begin to interact with humans on a grander scale do I lose interest in the narrative. The transition from hidden secretive race to media sensation is too rapid and
Alice
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quozl, not your average Easter Bunnies

Oh Joy!!! A new favourite author to read. I realize that he has been writing for years but I just discovered him and this stand alone sci-fi book is a great introduction to his writing. The idea of large intelligent alien rabbits landing from outer space was so intriguing that I had to download it immediately. It opens up with a large, long dose of the Quozl and their culture and beliefs. Very well done. Complete in depth world building. I wish that he wrote
Themistocles
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: scifi
Ah darn. A very interesting topic, an equally interesting approach, all marred by a excruciatingly slow unveiling. ADF stretches it much, much longer than he should in order to fill pages, and it's a shame. I wanted to see what happens next, but after reading the first third of the book I decided there are much more promising books on my to-read shelves to make reading the rest of this worthwhile...
Jeff Ritterpusch
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Fantastic! Great story, wildly imaginative and a solid thesis for how to assimilate into a new world. I wish I could've given it 4 and a half stars because of an ending that seemed a bit rushed and had a couple of plot inconsistencies but I gave it a 5 to counter a few reviews that I feel are very unfair to this charming and fun read
Andrew Rose
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think I read this book first when I was 13 and thought it was hilarious. I was worried when I re-read it as an adult that it wouldn't hold up but it did. I wouldn't recommend the book to someone that young normally but it didn't scar me in anyway. It was funny with great characterization and thought-provoking.
Brandie
Gave the book only 3 stars simply because I have a dim memory that I liked it and there has always been this fuzzy memory in the back of my mind that pops up from time to time about the story. My have to re-read it some day to find out why. (Read while in Jr. High school, I think...)
Ray Dunn
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First Contact by a master of the art

An old style book, where the first half sets the scene. Then the action really picks up.

I'm pleased to see there are several of Alan's book that I have still to read.
SDF Smith
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Entertaing

I gave it five stars becauee this story desrrves five stars. I was guided visually , emotionally, and entertaingly to a new concept on Aliens. It was humorous and thoughtful at the same time. A really great read!!
Branden Scott
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another winner for Alan Dean Foster. I've read this book multiple times and still get great enjoyment out of it.
Peter Feltham
Bunnies from the planet Quozl need space to expand their rabbit-like reproduction. Fortunately, these rabbit-like aliens are also technologically advanced so they can build spaceships to populate new planets. Unfortunately, earth is covered with warring humans during WW2 when they arrive. These bunnies have evolved beyond warring: according to the Quozl, war is a product of sexual domination... I had to read it to the end because I had no idea where it was going. It is a stretch.
Flint Weiss
Mar 16, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was so very boring, slow, and tedious. I picked this up because I enjoyed Foster's the Spellsinger but Quozl feels like it was written by someone else (unless Spellsinger was the aberration).

This actually felt like it was a short story that was stretched and stretched into a full length book. I ended up skipping chapters at a time and not missing anything. Your time is precious. Spend it somewhere else.
Martin
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'd prefer to give this 3.5, but didnt want to drop to 3 stars.

It's a book from my childhood.

It's about how messed up humanity is, and how far we have still have to go.
Whitney Green
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Funny and creative. Who wouldn't want to bang one out with a sexy alien rabbit?
Claire
Dec 14, 2019 marked it as sampled-only  ·  review of another edition
Read the first few pages and decided not to continue.
Denise Griffith
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
interesting, funny and kinda boring
Jeff Soyer
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Finally! Good news: Open Road Media is releasing a Kindle edition of Quozl, by Alan Dean Foster (Amazon link). Quozl is a lighthearted science fiction tale of a race of alien “rabbits” who land on Earth, go into hiding, and finally reveal themselves. Adults and young adults will enjoy this pleasant novel of first contact (both of the humans, and the Quozl) and how the Quozl are finally introduced to humanity at large.

The planet of Quozlene is overpopulated. A multi-generational interstellar ship
Jamie Jonas
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book both defies and exceeds expectations.
As someone who is increasingly interested in the Extra-terrestrial question, at least in hypothetical terms, I found the story of the Quozl invaluable. Yet, given the great but whimsical cover by the hyper-talented James Gurney, as well as the "flip-a-mation" inside, I thought at first that I was about to read one of Foster's thoroughly enjoyable but lightweight outings. Not so! Thinking of cornerstones that were laid long before, I have to take
Riana
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
A colony of highly evolved aliens are flying around space in search of an inhabitable planet to start their new settlement. Earth appeared a dream come true, everything a planet should be – until they discovered the violent locals. These libertine vagabonds from the far-away planet Quozl decide to settle on Earth nevertheless and have to plan every move with great care and secrecy. After all, encouters witht earthlings are believed to be fatal...

This tale seems to span across several dozens of
Matthew Bourns
I was given this book to review by NetGalley. This book while branded a comedy science fiction story is more dry than some of his other books. There are funny moments but for the most part it is a science fiction story of aliens hiding on earth. The story glosses over the tech that allows the Quozl to expand into space and live underground, while expanding on their social structure just enough to get an idea of how it is organized and how they got to this point in their evolution. The story is ...more
Ross Armstrong
I received an ebook copy from Netgalley for an honest review.

Reading the blurb on this title, I thought it could be a fun little tale. I have read other works by Foster and he has written a large number of movie and TV tie-ins as well.

Unfortunately, this does not work well. The basic premise of a rabbit-like alien species sent out to colonize from an overpopulated homeworld and arriving on Earth during WW II should have been a cute story. I think my problem with the book is that it comes off as
David Caldwell
Apr 23, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty sure I read this when I was much younger,but don't really remember it so going to give it another try.Here is hoping it was merely time that made it forget it and not the quality of the book.
I really tried to like this book. Unfortunately in the long run, I couldn't not say I did. The book is obviously marketed as humorous, but it isn't really that funny. In fact most of the time it is hard to decide if Mr. Foster is trying to make a joke or a point.The beginning of the book is
« previous 1 3 next »

• Vax Humana (The Unbelievable Mr. Brownstone Book 13)
  • Sorcery Reborn (The Rebellion Chronicles #1)
  • G.I. Joe: The IDW Collection Vol. 7
  • The Memory of Earth (Homecoming, #1)
  • Evil Genius: Becoming the Apex Supervillain
  • Road to Gold: The Untold Story of Canada at the World Juniors
  • Ex-Superheroes 2
  • Rogan's Monsters: Wastelands
  • The Cost of Being Special (Survival of the Fittest Book 1)
  • Dinner at Deviant's Palace
  • Boundary Haunted (Boundary Magic, #5)
  • Aftermath (Decons and Magical Nulls-Elite Division #1)
  • Malcolm MacPhail's Great War (Malcolm MacPhail #1)
  • Escape Velocity
  • The Forgotten Girl
  • The Gideon Oliver Mysteries Volume Two: Curses!, Icy Clutches, and Make No Bones
  • Bloody Christmas
  • John Rawlings Investigates (Part One) (John Rawlings Box Set Book 1)
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more