Start by marking “The Girls of Firefly Cabin” as Want to Read:
The Girls of Firefly Cabin

The Girls of Firefly Cabin

Albert Whitman has bought Cynthia Ellingsen's middle grade debut, The Girls of Firefly Cabin. In the vein of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, the story follows four tween girls, their individual struggles, and the bonds they forge during an unforgettable summer at camp. Publication is slated for spring 2019.
Hardcover
Published May 28th 2019 by Albert Whitman (first published 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Girls of Firefly Cabin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girls of Firefly Cabin

Toni
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rtc
Thank you to Edelweiss and the publisher for the ARC provided in exchange for an honest opinion.
Amber
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary copy of this eBook from the author, publisher, and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

When Lauren gets a scholarship to attend the Bluebird Pines Summer Camp, she is excited and hope to make friends with the girls she is sharing a cabin with as Fireflies. Can they become good friends and be the winners of the Faces of Blueberry Pines contest? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was a pretty good YA middle-grade read about friendship, Summer Camp, and more. I
Lana
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Girls of Firefly Cabin made me wish I was a kid again, about to head off to summer camp! This story is about four girls that spend the entire summer away at camp. They swim, canoe, sing, roast s’mores, compete amongst the other cabins for the ultimate prize and play a few pranks as well.
The four girls of the Firefly Cabin are all going through their own personal battles when they arrive at camp and couldn’t be more different than the next, yet somehow they manage to form such a tight bond t
Samantha (WLABB)
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Summer camp! A magical place, where one can frolic and enjoy nature, while sipping bug juice and applying ample amounts of sunscreen and insect repellant. It is also a place, where fast, and sometimes, lasting friendships form. Such was the case for Archer, Isla, Jade, and Lauren.

The main reason I wanted to read this book was because of strong female friendship, and indeed, I definitely got that. However, I wasn't so sure these four were going to gel, because they came from such different backgr
Kate Waggoner
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-read
@KidLitExchange #partner

Thank you to the @kidlitexchange network and the publisher for the advance copy of The Girls of Firefly Cabin. All opinions are my own.

The Girls of Firefly Cabin is a beautiful story of friendship. The only thing that Lauren, Isla, Jade, and Archer have in common is that they will all be staying in the Firefly cabin at Blueberry Pine Camp for Girls. Lauren is an orphan who has grown up in a series of foster homes and won an essay contest and scholarship allowing her to a
Cindy
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book! Let me tell you! This was a middle grade book about four very different girls from very different walks of life coming together as cabin mates at Camp Blueberry Pine in Northern Michigan (let me just say, I live in northern Michigan so this really made my day). Each girls has her own set of real life trials and tribulations. And with the help of each other they are able to come together and solve or make better each other's problems. This book is bout friendship. The kind that lasts f ...more
Alyssa Chaney
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edelweiss
Check out this review and others at my blog Too Many Books!

A special thank you to Edelweiss and Albert Whitman & Co for providing a free advance digital copy in exchange for an honest review.

When I picked up this book, I was really hoping for a cute middle grade read about friendships and found families and I was not disappointed. This book was everything that I had been expecting and more. The found family aspect, especially unlikely, was particularly strong because all of the girls were mo
Cynthia Ellingsen
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
As always... I'm a little biased but I'm a fan!
Kasey Giard
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

THE GIRLS OF FIREFLY CABIN is one of the cutest books I've read in a long time. I loved all the summer camp stuff-- references to campfires, silly songs, and shared jokes that are so iconic of the experience of summer camp. But it's more than simply a cute book.

Each girl comes to camp with a secret and a deeply held belief that the other girls simply can't or won't accept her if they find out the truth. For Lauren, the secret is her life at a group home, where going to a fancy camp is impossible

Ms. Yingling
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
E ARC from Edelweiss Plus

Lauren, Jade, Isla and Archer all end up in the same cabin at a fairly swanky camp by a lake. Isla doesn't want to be there, but her parents are traveling around Europe, so her Internet business and attempts at reading great Books will have to wait while she and her allergies deal with bugs in the woods. Jade has recently experienced a personal tragedy that makes it hard for her to engage with the other girls. Lauren is glad to be there, since she lives in a group home a
Jana
I had the opportunity to read a NetGalley digital ARC of this middle grade novel in exchange for a review. This summer camp story shares the ups and downs of a group of four eleven-year-old girls from four very different backgrounds as they build relationships in their shared cabin at Blueberry Pine Camp in Michigan.

Lauren is an orphan from Arizona who has spent most of her life in and out of different foster homes. She won a scholarship to the camp through an essay contest. Isla, from New York
Lana
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
Janelle Hackbarth
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, favorites
I got an advanced copy of this book from Edelweiss Plus in exchange for a review. Thank you, Edelweiss Plus!

Four girls (Lauren, Jade, Isla, and Archer) meet their first day at Camp Blueberry Pine when they are all assigned to the same cabin: Firefly Cabin (hence the name of the book) and slowly become friends. They all have personal "baggage" they brought to camp.

All the girls are different: Lauren's an orphan who's at camp because she won a scholarship, but doesn't want the other girls to know.
Keshia
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
@kidlitexchange #partner Thanks to the #kidlitexchange network and publisher @albertwhitman for the review copy of this book - all opinions are my own. This book was the perfect read for a sunny day. Four girls meet at summer camp, each with different dreams and goals for the summer, as well as various life stressors happening back home. It isn’t long before a solid friendship begins to form, and the girls unite to win their camp competition. The girls demonstrate perseverance, determination, an ...more
Michelle Gersbach
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From Camp Rock to The Parent Trap, summer camps have been popular in many different movies. The Girls of Firefly Cabin is yet another spin on friendship, secrets and summer camp. This is a sweet novel for middle-grade readers where everything just seems to work out. While this is not necessarily a bad thing, to a mature reader, it comes across as far too convenient.

The four main characters all struggle with secrets that shape their experience at camp. From living in a group home to having asthm
Nicole Windhagen
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
First off thank you to Netgalley and Albert Whitman & Company for providing this eARC!

The Girls of Firefly Cabin by Cynthia Ellingsen was such a perfect summer camp read filled with a great story of friendship! We have four main characters:
-Lauren: A girl who has been in and out of the foster care system and was highly anticipating her summer at Blueberry Pine Camp.
-Isla: A girl from NYC who wants nothing more than to go home and focus on her small business.
-Archer: A girl who just wants to
Catherine Perkins
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC in exchange for a review of the book.

This book is a perfect book for middle grade readers. It has a little bit of every sort of problem a middle school kiddo might face. The book has a touch of humor and left me in happy tears at the ending. I'm buying a copy for my classroom library!
Elise
Aug 27, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I'm always up for a MG summer camp story, and this one looks promising! Love the cover!
Valerie McEnroe
ARC from Netgalley

I’ve been in search of good summer camp books, since it’s a great realistic fiction topic for girls. I had high hopes for this book, but sadly, it fell far short of my expectations.

Four girls, assigned to the Firefly cabin, bond at summer camp. Lauren is the optimist. She is attending camp on a scholarship and doesn't want the other girls to know she lives in a group home. Isla is the rich girl. She has fallen head over heels for a boy at the brother camp. She doesn't want the
Darla
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Four girls come to summer camp and are assigned to the Firefly Cabin. They all have a weakness, a struggle that is pulling them down. Together they find the strength to fly. I found this to be a charming and inspirational reminder of the power of friendship. Each of the girls contributes in their own way, but my favorite by far was Lauren. I hope this will be the first in a series?

Thank you, thank you to Albert Whitman and Edelweiss for providing a digital ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Cori
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A summer camp story? Say no more! Super sweet story about 4 girls who are summer camp cabin mates and become close friends despite their differences. As the summer progresses, they let their barriers down and learn to trust each other and share their darkest secrets. Filled with drama, forgiveness, second chances, and first love, it's a lovely story about friendship.
Rebecca
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a pleasant middle grade girls book set during summer camp that focuses on 4, 12 year old girls from different backgrounds who are sharing a cabin and trying to become friends.

It was an easy read and each girl had a problem or worry in their life that over the course of the book that the other girls find a way to help with. I know that most pre-teen girls would relate to at least one of the girls of Firefly Cabin.

I’d recommend this to girls aged 10-13 years old.
Tona-T
Nov 22, 2018 marked it as to-read
Congratulations!!
Its a good bock, its very interesting.
Sarah Avallone
Jan 05, 2019
Mitastouch
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Middle grade read about four girls away at summer camp. After some false starts the girls learn to trust each other with their problems. As the summer progresses they learn the truth about each other and end creating life long friendships. A nice reminder about being honest and relying on friends in times of need.
Paula
Dec 04, 2018
Dave Sloan
Apr 04, 2019
Rebecca
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I’d recommend this to girls aged 10-13 years old.
Mitastouch