Start by marking “In a Pirate's Debt (Love on the High Seas)” as Want to Read:
In a Pirate's Debt (Love on the High Seas)

In a Pirate's Debt

(Summer of Deception #0)

PREQUEL TO SUMMER OF DECEPTION! Luke Barrett's pirate ancestor!

b>Saving her can land him in a hangman's noose at low tide in Charles Town Harbor. Repaying her debt to him will consign her to a life worse than death.

When confronted with a forced marriage, Travay Allston flees her stepfather's Jamaica plantation and dives into the sea. Death would be preferable to life wit
Published May 30th 2017 by Smitten Historical Romance (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about In a Pirate's Debt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In a Pirate's Debt

Start your review of In a Pirate's Debt (Love on the High Seas)
Coco.V
Aug 14, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (8/14/2019)! 🎁
Pegg
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Swashbuckling story with enough romance and danger to keep those pages turning. Travay Allston knows one thing very well, she'll never marry Sir Roger Poole. Never. But she doesn't expect that her flight from one man will land her in the arms of another ... and a pirate at that. If she could loathe anything more than Sir Roger, it might be a pirate, the same type of man who killed her father. But danger and nature block her path to freedom time and time again. Can a lost childhood friend hold th ...more
Alyssa
Oh my stars.

Katherine McDermott
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Travay Allston is fleeing Jamaica and an arranged marriage to a man she does not love, Sir Roger Poole. She is so desperate that she urges her horse over a cliff and into the ocean where she is saved from drowning by a pirate ship, the Blue Heron. Captain Lucas Bloodstone is a formidable man whose parents have been abducted by his enemies. The pirate captain having come face to face with his own sins, has experienced a conversion and has asked God to help him rescue his loved ones. From Travay’s ...more
Cassandra
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What an adventure! Very interesting read. This is the first time reading a book like this. I learned a lot about piracy in the 1700s. The romance was also very lovely and swoon-worthy. Another aspect of the book that I loved was the faith one. This book was saturated with the gospel. Luke was a man of honor and I loved his heart for God. I hope to find a man like him one day. This author is the one to look after!
Linda Carroll-Bradd
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Elva Cobb Martin has created a lush adventure/romance set in the Golden Age of Piracy with this clean novel. Realistic characters with struggles that make them fight for every touching moment. Childhood playmates Travay and Lucas meet again as adults but their budding relationship is thwarted at every turn--sometimes by their own uncertainties, but mostly by others with greed-based plans. I enjoyed learning about this era and the author’s research of specific descriptions and setting details mad ...more
Hannah
I guess I’ve just read too many pirate stories, but I’ve heard so much of this sort of thing before I can see what’s coming, and not in a good way. I cut my teeth on Sabatini’s swashbuckling pirate stories and this one just isn’t in the same class. If you enjoyed the romance-adventures of a few decades ago, give it a try, but I’ll be pointing away from this book over to the author’s debut, an excellent modern-day mystery.

Heroine gets lusted after by every man who sees her
Attempted rape
A bit of p
Cindy Huff
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this swashbuckler romance tale. Haven’t read a book about pirates in ages. Colonial setting in the Caribbean made the story more interesting. A bit of the Scarlet Pimpernel ( an old movie reference: hero had a duel life) in the mix as well. Lots of sword play and rescuing of damsels in distress. Let’s not forget all the unexpected twists and the wonderful ending. I suspect a sequel is coming. This is a must-read.
Kathleen Rouser
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Travay Allston literally falls into the hands of Captain Bloodstone as she does her best to escape from marriage to the scoundrel, Sir Roger Poole, by diving off the edge of a cliff on her horse.

She doesn't know that the young and handsome pirate, Captain Bloodstone, is Lucas, someone she knew and cared about as a child. He has been her protector before and will learn that to be Travay's protector is no easy task. After all, he is busy seeking recompense from the Spanish and on a quest to find
Barbara
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Suspense and romance on the high seas

Christian romance set in 1700's when piracy, privateering and countries battled for superiority of the high seas. Our hero and heroine survive one tragedy after another all the while trying to keep their faith steadfast and true.
Renee
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good read for a rainy afternoon

I've always liked pirate adventures and this one ranks right up there. Pick it up and hang on. It's a fun story!
Bess
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pirates
Nice adventure with great action! Wonderful read...talk about just in the nick of time!
Michelle
Sep 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Not a shred of common sense in any of the main characters!

What you might like about this book:
1) A LOT of damsel in distress rescues! (I personally love heroic rescues and for any book to have a good rating I require one good rescue. This one had so many, I lost count.)
2) One amazing discription scene of a storm. It reminded me of the movie The Perfect Storm.
3) The plot had potential. It atleast was interesting enough that despite some of the things I absolutely hated about the book, I finished
PAMpublish
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Finally, a well-written unique and intriguing historical (1720s) action and romance novel involving piracy and adventure on the high seas. Always appreciate a novel whereby I actually learn something with unpredictability involved, especially a surprised ending. Without reiterating the entire plot, childhood friends unexpectedly meet when Luke rescues Travay when escaping a forced marriage. Several more times Luke comes to her rescue until she must marry a hated enemy to save his life. Despite b ...more
Sallie
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating story!

I've never read a novel about pirate's before & it was fascinating! The story was so rich & the characters had so much depth I felt like I was on the ship with them. I highly recommend this book if you like clean romantic suspense stories. Lots of good spiritual advice about going through difficult
times also!
Terri
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good book

I loved the plot and characters. Each one was developed very well and you felt like you knew them. I love the Christian values and the power let the main character showed in his belief for God.
Amy R.
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story was interesting although it seemed they spent half of it in near-death experiences. I didn't love all the times where God supposedly told them something was going to happen or talked directly to them, but I did like that she showed how much he struggled to give up his worldly ways.
SHERRY
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really like Travay, she is a well developed character and believable. Lucas is a good hero. I liked the idea of a Christian pirate.
It was an exciting and action packed novel.
Ms. Martin is a new to me author, but I will be looking for other of her books.
Shivekat
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
WAAYYYY to religious for me. But the romance was cute. A little overdone with their ships literally always being taken over by some sort of pirate. Honestly it got exhausting near the end.

Not terrible, but not my favorite.
Joan Arning
Mar 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Pirate or privateer, Lucas "Captain Bloodstone" is a strong man who leads a double life! Travay Allston is a brave young woman who jumps off a cliff in order to avoid marrying scoundrel she can't stand and is rescued by Captain Bloodstone. There is lots of action in this book !
Pat Christie
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ebook

She’s escaping a man she doesn’t want to marry and is rescued by a pirate. That pirate is really her childhood friend, he’s loved her forever. There are many ship wrecks, fights and even prison but eventually they are wed.
Julynn
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved this epic tale on the high seas that contained plenty of adventure, danger, romance and especially FAITH!!! Ms. Martin reminds me of Ms. Tyndall who is my favorite Pirate writer. Very enjoyable read and can't wait to read more of her books. Thank you Ms. Martin!
Frances Moncrieffe
Good Pirate Reading

Good story line. Very adventurous. Definitely a page turner. Hated for it to end. Will definitely be looking for this author again
SaraBette
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fun-hf
I was in the mood for a good, fun, clean pirate story and besides the hero's inability to keep from kissing the girl whenever he sees her, this fit the bill perfectly. Full of adventure and pirate battles, I'm already planning on reading it again.
Rebecca Garrett
Nov 30, 2019
Jenny
Jul 24, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Charity's Cross (Charles Towne Belles, #4)
  • The Merchant's Yield (The Leeward Islands #2)
  • Aiming for Love (Brides of Hope Mountain, #1)
  • The Redemption (Legacy of the King's Pirates, #1)
  • The Ransom (Legacy of the King's Pirates, #4)
  • The Noble Guardian (The Bow Street Runners, #3)
  • The Witness Tree
  • The Piper's Pursuit (Hagenheim, #10)
  • Lakeshire Park
  • Hope's Highest Mountain (Heirs of Montana, #1)
  • The Highlanders
  • Lacy's Legacy (Westward Home and Hearts Mail-Order Brides, #1)
  • Fall Flip
  • An Uncommon Woman
  • A Distance Too Grand (American Wonders, #1)
  • Evermore (The Lost Princesses, #1)
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • Stormy Haven (Coldwater Bay Intrigue #2)
Elva Cobb Martin's passion is to write adventurous, romantic novels that not only entertain, but celebrate the moral truths found in classic fiction. Truths like honor and respect, fidelity and reverence. She lives in the South Carolina upstate with her husband and a mini-dachshund. For more information visit her web site at: elvamartin.com.

Summer of Deception (1 books)
  • Summer of Deception