Start by marking “A Scarlet Woman (The Fitzgeralds of Dublin, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Scarlet Woman (The Fitzgeralds of Dublin, #1)

A Scarlet Woman

(The Fitzgeralds of Dublin #1)

Can an idealistic young doctor and a fallen woman find love when Victorian society believes they should not?

Dublin, Ireland, 1880. Tired of treating rich hypochondriacs, Dr Will Fitzgerald left his father’s medical practice and his home on Merrion Square to live and practice medicine in the Liberties. His parents were appalled and his fiancée broke off their engagement. Bu
Published September 6th 2017

To ask other readers questions about A Scarlet Woman, please sign up.
Lorna Peel Hi Maritina,
Yes, there is a sequel to A Scarlet Woman. A Suitable Wife will be published on 5 September 2018 - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4..…more
Hi Maritina,
Thanks for your question!
Lorna(less)

Start your review of A Scarlet Woman (The Fitzgeralds of Dublin, #1)
Kathy Golden
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Having read Lorna Peel’s Into the Unknown, when I saw the announcement about A Scarlet Woman, I contacted her for an ARC to read, and review, at my option. My thanks to her for sending me a copy.

I’ll begin this review by saying, “Someone contact the movie makers. I want to see this story on the big screen.” This HR is one of the best I've read. As with her other book, Lorna is not trying to write a story to fit a certain mold or certain expectations, yet what she has created is a plausible r
Kelly  The Sassy Book Lover
*I received a copy from the author in exchange for my honest review.

This is a very different book in many ways and I loved it! There are many things covered in the book that you normally don't see or if they are mentioned they don't play a major part in the story. I never knew what was going happen next because something was always getting in the way for them, but also bringing them closer together. Many shocking scandals, secrets, and happy endings throughout the book that keep you hooked. Thei
booksofallkinds
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
**RATING 4.5**

A SCARLET WOMAN by Lorna Peel is a beautiful, gritty tale of love, despair, and learning to trust, set in Ireland in the 19th Century.

Isobel Stevens grew up in a harsh household where her father ruled supreme so when she finds herself seduced and abandoned, it is no surprise to find herself disowned and penniless. Heading to Dublin, Isobel will do what she must to survive but on the night she meets Dr. Will Fitzgerald, both of their lives will change forever. Finding a different w
Anna
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Drama, drama, drama! This story needed to remove half of its agnst plot points and just developed what they had. I was expecting a story about a soiled dove who picked herself up by her bootstraps, was able to get out of prostitution and on the way fell in love.

Further I hoped the second half of the story would be about the H and h's marriage, dealing with the demands of being a doctor and doctor's wife both physically and psychologically.

Instead this book remains superficial, thinking that dr
Ally Swanson
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
---3.5 Stars---

Although this book came with a warning label, I had no idea it was going to be at this level of material. I still felt overwhelmed. I’m not sure you can prepare yourself to be exposed to this kind of content. I was truly shocked and surprised to read such disturbing passages and even had to skip over several lines as it was very uncomfortable to read. I consider myself to be quite modern and accepting of all equalities – but this is totally something else. My reviews don’t contain
Stupid Fox
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such great fun for a setting I love and a genre I don't usually read. I'm a huge fan of upstairs downstairs like Downton Abbey. But not big on romance. Not quite sure if that's really what this is but it's definitely a major aspect.
And if that wasn't enough, if I did read romance I normally wouldn't care for straight romance. F/F for this girl.

Yet this was utterly delightful. I assured the characters and the plot. It was emotional, often tense, and very satisfying for those of us who love this s
KayBee's  Bookshelf
This was my first read by this author. This story was set in 19th century Ireland. Isobel and Will managed to pull me into their story in the first half of the book. The characters were developed. The story was moved along at a believable and moderate pace. You can fell the despair by Isobel and she kept facing challenges with no end in sight. She and Will had a cute bit of banter going on as well. The relationship was a necessity to Will and you can feel his determination. The author has spent ...more
Nicole Laverdure
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
* Reviewed for Books & Benches

A powerful Irish love story!

The moment I saw the cover of Lorna Peel's novel, A SCARLET WOMAN, I knew I had to read it. Ms. Peel is a new-to-me author and she didn't disappoint with this fabulous tale set in Ireland. She nicely blended her characters and Irish history together to create a captivating love story. I really enjoyed this introduction to the Fitzgeralds of Dublin series; what a beautiful surprise! I simply could not put it down and I will surely watch fo
Cindy Woods
Dec 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
Ridiculous!

This book is a mess!

From what began as a very good beginning, it is a shame that it evolved into such a convoluted and ridiculous story.

Set in Victorian Era Ireland, a young doctor goes on a drinking binge with friends and ends up at a brothel where he meets a prostitute he becomes interested in. They eventually begin writing letters back and forth. The first third of the story is actually very good as the two get to know one another. If the author had stayed with this it might have
Fiona
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Scarlet Woman (The Fitzgeralds of Dublin, #1) is a fascinating historical tale set during the Victorian era in Ireland. There are a multitude of themes in this wide ranging novel with romance, mystery and suspense being just a few. The book includes violence against the female protagonist and, sadly, this reminds the reader that women had little or no rights during this era and I must admit that there were several scenes which were difficult to read.

The author has balanced her cast of charact
Barbara
A Scarlet Woman is a fast paced historical novel, full of great twists and turns which plunges into the dark underbelly of Victorian Dublin, Ireland. All the characters are three dimensional, fascinating people. This novel made the first week of my vacation pretty much perfect. I have rated it five stars for being everything that reading for enjoyment is meant to be. I'm looking forward to reading more of Lorna Peel's Fitzgeralds Series in the future.
Patricia Balfe
An impressive and well written novel set in Dublin, Ireland in 1880 with a seemingly impossible romance between Will, a doctor, and Isobel, a fallen woman and which doesn't shy away from tackling tough subjects. I will look out for book two in this series as I am eager to discover where the author will take Will and Isobel next.
Zoe
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book - it was my kind of thing - gritty, fast moving, with strong characters and passionate love. A Scarlet Woman drew me in immediately from Will and Isobel's first meeting in a Victorian Dublin brothel and it kept me hooked until the very last page. Straight on to the next book in the series!
Andrea
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Will and Isobel's evolution from friends to something more was realistic and a joy to read. This story had excellent character development, meaningful secondary characters and wonderful internal monologue and dialogue. Just the right amount of historical details were added to this story to flesh out the Irish setting. I look forward to reading the next book in the series.
Mark
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you like to read novels that are well written, impeccably researched, have strong and courageous main characters and lead you through a tale of love and suspense then this novel is for you! Lorna Peel certainly knows how to write an exciting novel! It is the first in a series that I am interested in continuing.
Donna
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Definitely NOT a book for everyone but I really enjoyed it. Character development is key in this book and to see the transformation/maturation the two main characters undergo was very intriguing. I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes historical fiction with a difference. I look forward to reading the next book in the series.
Nancy
May 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
Not exactly what I expected! Ugh!

If you like really bad and at times, unnatural and repetitive dialogue, characters you don't care about, graphic sex scenes, implausible storyline, and cringe-worthy situations, then this book is for you! For me this is just erotic fan fiction and bad fan fiction at that! Not well written and history? Where was there any of that?
Kate
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book so bad. I read the reviews, the synopsis and made my way through the first hundred pages and told myself that I was going to learn to like it.

Alas, it fell flat for me. I just found it too depressing to think that merely two hundred years ago, being a woman absolutely sucked. Scratch that. Being anything but a white man sucked.
Sarah Avery
This book was a joy to read from from the first page to the last with great characters and exciting but believable situations. Will and Isobel's story just hit me in all the right places and I hope that book two is published soon!
Yvonne Walton
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dieselblackcat

I have just read her second book after tis and oh boy what a read both these books are. I bought the second book before I finished the first so I could go straight on to it. You won’t be sorry. Happy reading.
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great historical romance with a gritty plot and plenty of drama, twists and turns. The main characters, Will and Isobel, are intriguing and I'm eager to read their continuing story in the next book.
Bernie
Feb 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
This is NOT a historical novel! Sorry I bought a 2book set. I will not read the second book. Her story line is unbelievable, with twists and turns. I am not a price but the graphic sex in every chapter was too much!
Diana
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great read, well written with raw emotions and characters to fall in love with. Innocence, betrayal, survival, passion, suspense, family, trust and love. Everything you want in a romance is here.
Monica
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family-saga
I have Irish ancestry so I was looking forward to reading this book and it didn't disappoint. It is a lovely love story set in Dublin with characters I found myself rooting for and I'm eagerly looking forward to reading their continuing story in book two.
Jodie
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has been sitting on my TBR pile for a while. I had no idea what a gem I had. Likable characters, both primary and secondary, great plot, some twists and turns. I couldn't put it down. Will definitely be reading the next in the series.
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
A Scarlet Woman is the first historical romance that I have in a long time as I have been pulled away from this genre and into the world of dystopia, apocalyptic, post-apocalyptic and science fiction with a twist of romance.

When I read the summary it drew me in but not too deep at first well because I was like no not historical romance but it wouldn't leave me alone I kept thinking about that summary and the more I thought about it the more it pulled me into its depth and I knew I had to read i
Marion
This is an entertaining and informative read which does not shy away from the harsh realities of Victorian life that most people (including myself) never see in the novels we read. I recommend it very highly.
John Cozad
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
intensely romantic, too much self degradation for the heroine but she finally comes to terms with her plight and it ends happily-she caught a really good guy!
Mercedes
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Angst and love

Good enjoyable historical romance with drama, interesting different story and characters.
Will and Isobel are great intriguing characters.
Enjoyed reading
Antonia
Excellent historical novel and extremely well written with amazing characters that jump off the page. I can't wait to start the next book in the series.
Turning Pages At ...: A Scarlet Woman (The Fitzgerals of Dublin #1) (Historical Romance BR) 11 10 Aug 05, 2018 12:15AM
Meet A Scarlet Woman's Isobel Stevens 1 2 Oct 08, 2017 05:06AM
Meet A Scarlet Woman’s Dr Will Fitzgerald 1 1 Oct 01, 2017 05:42AM
Merrion Square 1 1 Sep 24, 2017 04:33AM
The Liberties of Dublin 1 1 Sep 17, 2017 12:51PM
Monto: Dublin’s Red Light District 1 1 Sep 12, 2017 12:59PM
Read an excerpt from A Scarlet Woman 1 2 Aug 12, 2017 08:59AM

• Sisters of the Southern Cross
  • Love and Marriage at Harpers: A heartwarming saga from bestseller Rosie Clarke (Welcome To Harpers Emporium Book 2)
  • The Hard Way Home (The Star and the Shamrock Book 3)
  • The Slum Angel
  • The Flower Girl
  • The Wedding War
  • The Brighton Guest House Girls: Hardship, heartache and the healing power of friendship
  • The Promise of Tomorrow
  • Past Encounters
  • Catrina's Return
  • A Love Forbidden
  • His Sexual Partner
  • The Queen of All that Dies (The Fallen World, #1)
  • Impossible Dream (The Percy Place #1)
  • A Class Apart (A Matter of Class, #1)
  • The Children from Gin Barrel Lane
  • What Did You Do In The War, Sister?: Catholic Sisters in the WWII Nazi Resistance
  • Thunder & Roses (Fallen Angels #1)
Lorna Peel is an author of historical fiction and mystery romance novels set in Ireland and the UK. Lorna was born in England, grew up in North Wales and now lives in rural Ireland. A SCARLET WOMAN, A SUITABLE WIFE and A DISCARDED SON – books one to three in The Fitzgeralds of Dublin Series set in Victorian Ireland – are out now on Kindle, in paperback and on Kindle Unlimited. Book four - A FORLOR ...more

The Fitzgeralds of Dublin (3 books)
  • A Suitable Wife (The Fitzgeralds of Dublin, #2)
  • A Discarded Son (The Fitzgeralds of Dublin, #3)