Start by marking “Orbit (Theonite, #2)” as Want to Read:
Orbit (Theonite, #2)

Orbit

(Theonite #2)

This was a world where two black women with spears trumped three white men with guns, and one unarmed musician trumped them all. This was going to take some getting used to...

After barely escaping Earth with their lives, Joan and Daniel scramble to piece together the mystery of Killer 31 while dodging police, security guards, annoying family members, and dark hooded fi
Published May 17th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Orbit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Orbit

Start your review of Orbit (Theonite, #2)
sal
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
this was a good second (third?) book in the theonite series, and probably helped establish a very good base for the book that comes after it - except that book will never arrive, because the author decided to discontinue the series. i am still devastated.
Stephanie
   M. L. Wang has outdone herself with this second installment in her Theonite series – it had me from page one and never let me go. While Planet Adyn takes place on the Earth we know, Orbit takes place on the Dakkabana space center above Planet Duna, the home dimension/planet where Daniel Thundyil is from and Joan Messi, lone Earthling theonite, now finds herself.
   Planet Duna can be considered the opposite of Planet Earth – most people have powers, space centers and shuttles are commonplace,
Claire
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book manages to be so many things at once. It had me laughing out loud in one chapter and crying the next. Parts of it are really fun - Joan and Daniel are on a non-stop thrill ride, making new friends, engaging in superpowered hand-to-hand combat, and playing detective - but there's this undercurrent of exhaustion and terrifying strangeness (view spoiler). It's a st ...more
Silvia
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I started this series by accident, and continued 'cause I couldn't put it down. This second entry, in particular, is exceptional for the detail that went into the world-building and for the thoughtfulness that went into designing a society that developed on completely different tracks and presuppositions than ours - from the different time measures to the dressing styles, from the traditions for knowledge-sharing to racial relations. It accomplishes the task of making us reflect on how we take f ...more
Angela H.
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
ML Wang is surprising me with recent book series!

The book does end in a cliff hanger; however, I love how the author focuses on Daniel finding his true identity and Joan finding her true friends in unknown parallel universe.

I thought the book was long initially for a short plot. After reflecting, I'm glad she did. She developed the characters that will be playing a key role in finishing the job his father started on Earth.

I loved how she lures readers into a smooth, yet relatable story. Lesso
Karen
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I think I liked this second book even better than the first book, and I will be looking for the third book in the series.
Katy
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy_2020
very different from the sword of kaigen but still a really wholesome and heartwarming story with very touching friendships :')
Lekhana Gogineni
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Orbit is even better than the first book in this series. In this book we get to explore Duna, the concept of which M.L. Wang made very thought provoking and intriguing. Duna is basically Earth but upside down and backwards. The planet Duna is literally upside down (North is South, and East is West), and everything else is the direct opposite. Until a few thousand years ago Duna's history (I may be getting this slightly wrong but this is how I understood it) was exactly like Earth's but then Theo ...more
Robbie Antenesse
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The storytelling in the Theonite series has been excellent so far, and I'm really looking forward to the next book! The concepts of race and caste are eased into view in this book, and the glimpse of ideas for how the world would look without a white conqueror history was hugely interesting to me.

I'd definitely recommend this book to someone who wants a fun, interesting, and deep new fantasy world to dive into. It does rely on the first book in the series, Theonite: Planet Adyn, but that's also
Thomas
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the first book so I thought I would try the second and was not disappointed. This book continues the story of Joan and Daniel as they mysteriously arrive on the Dakkabana Space Center. This story surpasses the first book and really develops your understanding of the world Joan finds herself now belonging to. There are many topics covered by the story that are real world issues that ground the story but it is balanced by the fantastic. I highly recommend picking this book up and ...more
Megan
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great, further character building. World building edition. The foundation of a budding generational super hero. Author takes care to create a whole new language and class system for the read to study & understand. Reader is a visitor to world right along with 1st main character Joan. Will read more!

Worth reading from book one, reader is drawn into a world, having to navigate a new language, class system, values and beliefs.
Olivia
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the things that strikes me most deeply about this book - and the series in general - is the wholehearted love put into developing it. The Yammaminke language is immensely impressive as a fictional invention for a fantasy world, and I am constantly amazed at how fully and fluidly it has been put together that the author can have characters hold whole conversations in it. If only it were as easy for me to learn another language as it is for Joan!
Alexandra
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is incredible! I've read it three times so far and I've adored it every time. The characters and the problems they face are handled convincingly and the world building is fantastic.
I'm not sure how to put into words how much I loved this book, but I thoroughly recommend!
Allison
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it
A good book, well written with a good story. Just too much worldbuilding within dialogue for my taste; I skipped a lot to get back to the plot. I can bear it one or two times but man, there was just so much of it. A 400 page book could have likely been 300. All of the world building (in the form of a native talking about this or that custom) interesting for sure, especially from an anthological POV, I just got overwhelmed by it, though that is likely how the main character felt. There were also ...more
Scott Sammons
Great continuation of a very good series

This is going to be a rather long series, due to the authors love of rabbit trails, and the conceit of creating new languages and constantly defining terms after presenting the made up words. I love some of these characters, the effort to make character voices unique is noticeable and commendable.
Janita Terresa
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I really want to read Theonite: City of Ghosts now. I'm not sure why but the ending really got me and know I'm desperate to read the next one.
But I loved reading it and would definitely recommend.
Shanice
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love!!

Love the world building the author has put into the story it makes the book universe so much more real. And I love the main group of kids I can't wait to see what adventures they get into in the next book and hopefully next couple of books!!
Rajesh Das
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
I hate Daniel. He is so irresponsible. How could you leave a friend who is also an alien in an unknown space station. Like the first book, nothing much happened in this book too. They just running around in circle.
Anthea
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Even better than the first book in my opinion! You will be able to dive more deeply into the world of the Theonite books. For me it was a page Turner. Lovely characters, character development, action and world building.
Billy Stephens
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Engrossing

Excellent world building. While the raw material for the story isn't exactly new, the author twists & the story 180 degrees and keeps it flowing. Not as simple as the first glance suggests.
Sydney
May 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I feel like this is a book you’d use to teach young white kids about racism LMAO

I just want to see Joan learn some real powerful stuff at school but they spend most of the book running from the police. Both books have been pretty anticlimactic.
Steph Schleicher
Jul 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Airbender + Harry Potter in space

Engaging, cool world-building. Premise is not really new, and there's quite a bit of wish fulfillment, chosen one tropes, but not bad for a sophomore release.
Annabelle
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was so good! I couldn't stop reading! I read 514 pages in 5 days! I would recommend this book to anyone! I am not a big fan of science fiction, but I love this series.
Colleen (Soggywarmpockets)
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am absolutely in love with this series and I cannot recommend it highly enough. I need the third book to be out right away.
Craig Moore
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good read

Really enjoyed the story and character development. This author really knows how to build a world and make it believable.
Tempestt
Jul 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Pretty good

It was better than the first but all the terminology was hard to follow. I like the idea of a flipped world.
Phil Matthews
Mar 12, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Booring

This story is about a brat who runs around like an idiot. It drones on and on and on. I only got about half way through before I gave up.
Brandon
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More engaging and compelling than the first book, getting closer to the "prequel".
Alok Talekar
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Love the world building, but Daniel is not really an interesting character. Joan is the typical princess in Amber.
Wiley Bogren
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

Great author, great writing, great ideas. I’ve really enjoyed each of the books I’ve read from ml wang so far, and I’m looking forward to the next one!

• Never Die
  • Diamantine (Weapons and Wielders, #2)
  • Sin Eater (Iconoclasts, #2)
  • Street Cultivation
  • Aching God (Iconoclasts, #1)
  • Of Dawn and Darkness (The Elder Empire: Sea, #2)
  • Of Kings and Killers (The Elder Empire: Sea, #3)
  • A Traitor in Skyhold (Mage Errant #3)
  • Along the Razor's Edge (The War Eternal #1)
  • Age of Empyre (The Legends of the First Empire #6)
  • Reborn: Apocalypse Volume 2 (Reborn: Apocalypse, #2)
  • Of Killers and Kings (The Elder Empire: Shadow, #3)
  • Of Sea and Shadow (The Elder Empire: Sea, #1)
  • Uncrowned (Cradle, #7)
  • Reborn: Apocalypse Volume 3 (Reborn: Apocalypse, #3)
  • Six Sacred Swords (Weapons and Wielders, #1)
  • Of Darkness and Dawn (The Elder Empire: Shadow, #2)
  • Into the Labyrinth (Mage Errant #1)
Hi, I'm M. L. Wang, writer of sci-fi & fantasy, winner of Mark Lawrence's 5th Self-Published Fantasy Blog Off (SPFBO).

I'm rarely on Goodreads, so if you need to get in touch, please see the contact page of my website: https://mlwangbooks.com/contact/

Theonite (3 books)
  • Planet Adyn (Theonite, #1)
  • City of Ghosts (Theonite, #3)