Start by marking “That Neighbor Kid” as Want to Read:
That Neighbor Kid

That Neighbor Kid

Acclaimed author/illustrator Daniel Miyares returns to the sweet, nostalgic tone of his beloved illustrated book, Float, in this gorgeous, spare picture book about making a new friend.

There’s a new boy in the neighborhood, and he’s up to something very curious. His next door neighbor, a girl his age with two long braids, peeps around corners and watches as he scavenges woo
Published May 9th 2017 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about That Neighbor Kid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That Neighbor Kid

Michael Fitzgerald
Oct 25, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Why do we need this book? Trees died for this?

Crappy illustrations tell a trite, hackneyed little story - predictable and dull without any development of significance. There are exactly two words in the book - and both of them are "Hi." I wanted to throw it across the room.

Compare this nonsense to how the amazing wordless trilogy by Aaron Becker (Journey, Quest, Return) does girl-meets-boy.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Love Miyares' work. Love this wordless picture book featuring friendship and collaboration at the core of the book.
Jillian Heise
Fantastic! Love Miyares' books, & this is another stunning wordless gem to share with students. Love the message, love the story, love the illustrations and use of spot color.
Niki Marion
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I adore how Miyares uses the tree as both visual barrier and connective tissue that facilitates the burgeoning friendship between two neighbor kids. In one spread, branches reach and beckon to the new neighbor as the tree straddles the gutter.

Miyares also employs verticality and horizontality as visual metaphors for connection. One character literally disassembles a fence to use its tall boards to build a tree house, beginning with horizontal ladder steps nailed up the tree trunk.

After the new
Kifflie
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This is a lovely, mostly wordless picture book about a girl who is curious about the new boy in her neighborhood and his fascination with building a tree house. Miyares's artwork is so gentle, yet full of wonderful details.
Danielle
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A short, beautiful song of a book.
Margie
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even if you have a fear of heights, once you arrive and enter everything changes. The small space, four walls with perhaps a single door, a single window and a roof to keep out the weather, is a place where memories lasting a lifetime are created. Wishes are spoken aloud. Promises are made. Secrets are voiced.

When this haven is constructed by hand and with help, its value increases. That Neighbor Kid (Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers, May 9, 2017) written and illustrated by Daniel Mi
Desiree
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What is the new neighbor doing? One inquisitive girl gathers her courage to find out. She discovers the new neighbor is building a tree house and offers her help. The illustrations in this book are used brilliantly to show both the careful building of a tree house and a friendship. At the beginning of the story the illustrations are black and white. As the story progresses and the friendship grows subtle hints of color are introduced into the narrative. Good book for book walks and one on one re ...more
Roben
In this almost wordless book, a young girl watches a neighbor boy take apart a wooden fence. She follows him to see what he is up to and discovers he is building a treehouse. She offers to help - he seems unsure at first but then welcomes her - and a new friendship is born. This is a beautiful book that is illustrated in black and white until the first glimmer of friendship appears - and the illustrator adds a bit of color to each page as the friendship grows.
Earl
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this nearly wordless picture book, a curious girl wonders what the neighbor boy is up to. Not only does she find an answer but a new friendship as well.
Jen King
Annotated Bibliography Entry: That Neighbor Kid by: Daniel Miyares

Summary:

A little girl is curious about the little boy who recently moved into her neighborhood. This boy seems to be fascinated with tress and tree houses and she notices that he begins to build what she recognizes as a tree house. The curious little girl decides she would like to help him build this tree house. The two meet and say hi to each other (which is the only word in the book) and establish a friendship. At the end of th
Nick Somsavanh
That Neighbor Kid (2017) is a wordless picture book written and illustrated by Daniel Miyares that tells the visual story of a young boy moving into a neighborhood and reading a book on Living in Trees in his new backyard. Unbeknownst to the young male, his new neighbor, a young girl around the same age, spies on him from a far and continually progresses closer to him as he begins building his tree house. While he attempts to build the tree house, he finds himself confused by the instructions in ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Miyares, Daniel That Neighbor Kid. PICTURE BOOK. Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers, 2017. $17.99. Content: G.

In this nearly-wordless picture book, a new boy moves into the neighborhood. Through watching him, the girl next-door realizes that he is trying to build a treehouse -- and struggling mightily. Thanks to her kindness and her construction skills, the boy makes a new friend and a solid treehouse.

This is a lovingly-illustrated tale of budding friendship. The wordlessness fits the
Monica Lomeli
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Impression: Relate-able and creates a heart warming feeling.m
Impact: Readers can connect to the characters, especially young readers who might not have good comprehension but still enjoy books.
Constructive Opinion: Even though it only had One word, I thought this book was very cute and creates a warm heart feeling of friendship.
Two Design Elements: Light grey, white color scheme start with a senseless feeling, when a cute friendship is built the heart colors up.

A dull start that leads to build
Goshen PL Childrens
At this point it is a given that every book in our wordless book shelf is also on our staff favorites shelf. That's just the way it is, I don't make the rules. There is something about them that is so enchanting. I think it is a mix of the simple, yet engaging story and the the detailed, yet subtle illustrations.

This is a wonderful story of building a tree house and discovering new friends. There really isn't much more than that, but there doesn't need to be. A book is only called on to tell on
Jana
In this nearly wordless picture book, the reader sees a lovely friendship develop through the construction of a treehouse. The book opens with a moving truck in front of a house. There are two shy neighbors peeking at each other. As the boy starts to build a treehouse from the boards in the fence, the girl comes and starts helping. I'm assuming the boy gets the proper permission before he starts ripping the fence apart... Anyway, I love the way the author tells this whole narrative with few word ...more
Becky B
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little boy starts building a tree house, but seems to be having issues. A curious new neighbor comes to his aid and the two find a new friendship and more color in their lives through the experience.

This book is entirely wordless except for when the two kids each say 'Hi.' Miyares conveys feelings with facial expressions and the use of color. (It starts off gray scale and then color starts seeping in when the girl starts helping.) It's a sweet wordless story of a friendship forged through a sh
Bmack
This is beautifully illustrated wordless book. It starts out with pencil drawings of a reading a book in the back yard and we see part of a moving truck next door. The next two pages show the boy upside down in the tree still looking at his book, "Living in Trees" while a little girl peaks over the fence. As the story progresses the little girl watches the boy start to construct a treehouse and eventually climbs the tree with her hammer. As they work together to construct the treehouse the illus ...more
Great Books
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ages-5-8
A gentle, nearly wordless story of a new friendship. As the moving truck pulls away the new girl to the neighborhood glimpses and eventually approaches, her new neighbor, a young boy planning a treehouse. As the companionship grows the treehouse is completed and a friendship begun! The story ends with the friends waving to each other from their rooms with the treehouse between their houses. The black and white illustrations are soft, with coloring gradually added as the story develops. A charmin ...more
Margaret Boling
11/24/2017 ** A lovely (nearly) wordless picture book which begins in black & white with increasing color as the friendship develops. I appreciated the flip in gender roles - the girl helping the boy improve the tree house. I was thrown out of the story by the girl's jumper (dress) and the really elaborate treehouse they built.

Caldecott ?? - I don't see what this book does that's innovative or different from past books. I don't think it will be the winner.

I chose to read this book because it
mary dewley
The pictures speak for themselves! The inky drawings subtly begin to incorporate color as a somewhat shy girl becomes friends with the new boy next door when she discovers that he is building a tree fort. She offers to help and their friendship blossoms and color begins to fill the sky and lighten the shadows, until the end, when they are both in bed and we see only the glow from the light of their windows, making that connection in the darkness.
Stephanie Fujii
I am not a fan of books without words. But do I ever check to ensure that the book has words? Nope. This one doesn't. It's a sweetly illustrated story, though, about two neighbors who meet to build a treehouse, and as their friendship grows, the black and white illustrations become more colorful. It was cool to talk with my daughter about what that might mean - hooking her on color symbolism early...
Linda
A “nearly” wordless picture book that’s such fun to follow, then to celebrate the end. One young girl moves into a neighborhood and notices a boy reading in a tree. She peeks in, also sees a project, and then that he is struggling with his plans. What happens then will make readers smile. Sometimes friendships are made with successful collaborations! Illustrations slowly have color as the story emerges.
Fromwordstoworlds
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Daniel Miyares, author and illustrator of the beautiful Float, returns with another silent, tender story about friendship.

Two neighbours, a busy boy and a shy girl, experience the natural stages of friendship. As the boy is up to something, the girl, led by curiosity observes him from a distance. Slowly she approaches, shows interest and helps him build a house tree.

Colours and light complete the grey of the first pages as the two children discover the meaning of true friendship.
Darinda
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A new boys moves to the neighborhood, and a neighborhood girl watches him with interest. He's reading a book about living in trees, scavenging boards, and carrying a bucket of nails. She gets the courage to say "Hi" and a new friendship is born. One that involves the childhood fun of a tree house.

A great wordless picture book. I loved the artwork. Mainly black and white, with color introduced as the story progresses.
Paul
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The story holds together and unfolds at a good pace, but it doesn’t go anywhere, other than “we can be friends.” At least the female character knows how to read the blueprint to built the structure. It is good to see creative people trying out new ideas, even if they don’t succeed (in my opinion), but I wonder about the publisher who invested in this project—most reviewers are very favorable toward the book, so it looks like the bet paid off.
Kelly
This is a wordless book that has beautiful illustrations. The illustrations are done in black and white and tell the story of a boy who is new in the neighborhood. The neighbor girl is curious about him, and as the friendship grows, a little bit of color appears on the page. It's a lovely little story and book.
D. Field
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I really enjoyed the illustrations. The color slowly increased as the children became friends. I like the idea that friendship adds color to our lives and whether this was the author/illustrators intention or not it is a lovely idea. I do wish there had been a few more words to go with such nice illustrations.
Elisabeth
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like Daniel Miyares. I always think I’m not a fan of wordless picture books, but then I find another Miyares book and realize that just isn’t so. This is a sweet story about new friends. I loved how the color is gradually added to the story and the spare beginning with just black, white, and shades of grey. Lovely.
Keeley
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Caldecott Read!

I'll preface my review by saying that I do not think this is worthy of the Caldecott. That said, I did really enjoy this one! I am warming to wordless picture books- and this one helped! The art is so well done that the children's faces were more than expressive enough to tell the story. I love the colors growing along with their friendship- a very sweet and imaginative book.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Farmer and the Clown
  • Lines
  • Professional Crocodile
  • Letters to a Prisoner
  • Flashlight: (Picture Books, Wordless Books for Kids, Camping Books for Kids, Bedtime Story Books, Children's Activity Books, Children's Nature Books)
  • Wolf in the Snow
  • Hank Finds an Egg
  • Pool
Daniel Miyares is the author and illustrator of several books for young readers, including That Neighbor Kid, Bring Me a Rock!, and Float. He lives in Kansas City, Missouri.