Start by marking “Living On A Rainbow” as Want to Read:
Living On A Rainbow

Living On A Rainbow

'Living On A Rainbow' is a story about mental health, bullying, growing up, battling against adversity but most of all it is a story about love. The love between a man and a woman. The love between a boy and his best friend. The love between a mother and her son and the love between a boy and his father.

Harry 'H' McCoy is not an ordinary boy and his life is not an
Published May 18th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Living On A Rainbow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living On A Rainbow

Start your review of Living On A Rainbow
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This is one of those books that I don't think my review could ever do justice to. It really is a fabulous read.

We get to meet H, which is what everyone calls him in the book, from being a young lad, meeting his best friend Andy and growing up until we catch up with him in the present day in his forties.

I have to say that by the end of the book, I felt like H had become a very close friend. I was bereft to have to turn the last page. I had become so engrossed in his life that I wasn't ready to
Lynne McCartney
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have loved all of Calvin's books and yet again this one did not disappoint. The story of H McCoy and his life and relationships, was written, as always by Calvin, with such realism and compassion. Struggles with mental health are not always an easy read but Calvin writes with humour and in such a relatable way. I wanted to get to the end and discover the conclusion but at the same time I didn't want it to end, as I now find myself missing H and Andy and what could be going on in their lives. I ...more
Karen Kerr
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful story

I have given this book five stars as it is a truly endearing tale. Having been affected by mental health issues in my family this book gives a realistic insight into how things can spiral when there are anxiety and mental health problems. Our lead character is a lovely guy and you can't help but like him and I have to admit I did shed a few tears for him. I liked the fact that this book covers a period of time I myself was growing up. There are also a few funny situations which
Peter
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Story rattles along as we expect from Calvin and there are plenty of nostalgic references including musical ones that had me playing REM, James and Leonard Cohen cds. The last fifth of the book focused around mental health challenges was particularly good and maybe there was a whole book focused on that chapter of H's life - maybe go deeper rather than wider in a future book. That said I don't want to put any pressure on the author. Keep writing as you enjoy Calvin and I'll keep reading.
Amanda Sayer
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is another fantastic book by Calvin Wade, I absolutely loved it from the first page until the last, I started to read slower for the last few chapters just so I could enjoy it for longer. It is written as though you are there along with the characters every step of their lives, both good and bad. I loved it and it’s going to be another favourite.
Paula
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
O My

0h my I have read all of Calvin Wades books now and without doubt I have enjoyed all.This one I completely related to especially the depression with H as it was & is to close for comfort as exactly what has happened with my husband.So disappointed that I have to wait for the next book,love all the music analogies & living my youth through his characters.
Sammy Jackson
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Less than 24 hours to read this, another fantastic read by one of my favourite authors, a sensitive subject dealt with really well
Evaline
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another brilliant book from Calvin Wade. I could not put it down and did not want it to end. I find his characters very relatable and his stories have the ability to take you on a journey of emotions where you can be laughing out loud and then a few chapters later, heartbroken. Can't wait for the next one!
Donna Newborough
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant!
At last, a book that had me hook, line and sinker and when I wasn't able to read it, all so could think about was when I could pick it up again. For me, books like this have been few and far between of late.
I loved this. I really do like Calvin Wades style of writing. I loved the characters, especially the close friendship between 'H' and Andy and the fact that the book takes is full circle.
I would thoroughly recommend this. It's got it all, friendship, family, love, hopes and dreams,
Denise Share
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a marvellous book! I don't think I've ever seen an Amazon review page with what looks like 100% 5* reviews before but now I can understand why. A thoroughly enjoyable read, not in the slightest bit depressing, and so lovely to read about such a wonderful father/son relationship. I loved the music references all the way through too - quite an additional dimension. Definitely 5-stars, and could we have a follow-up book about Andy? - I'd really love to know more about his story!
Michael Reid
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A good read, not a comfortable one though

I enjoyed the characters, loved the setting which brought back a lot of memories. Every town should have a pub called the Cemetery. Some subjects are going to make the read uncomfortable, behind the mental health theme is a lot of sympathetic characterisation and real problems. Handled with a lot of humour until things just aren't funny any more. A good story brings reaction from the reader, I reacted with: laughter (something in my eye) tears (nightclub)
Colette Lamberth
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When a friend recommended this book and gave it a 5 star rating I was a bit concerned that I might not feel the same, but as it turns out it's well worth the accolade. I was really drawn into the lives of H McCoy, his parents and his best pal Andy. I laughed and cried and was sorry to leave their world when I reached the end of the book. Highly recommended.
Carol Sandford
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great book

I thoroughly enjoyed this and couldn't put it down until I'd finished. Loved reading H's life, hated his nasty boss. Loved Andy, loved H's mum & dad. Yeah, loved the book
Claire Boreham
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
4.5 stars. Really well written with great characters
Rebecca
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The cover perfectly illustrates where we find our main character, H, at the beginning of the story - stood on the edge of a bridge, both afraid and morbidly fascinated with heights. His best friend Andy at his side, trying to talk him down andconvince him thathis life isn't over.
In Living on A Rainbowwe re-liveH's rollercoaster life, rewinding the yearsfrom that precarious moment on the edge, back through his adulthood and teenage angst to where it all begins - with a happy child in a loving
Sharon Martin
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing

This is one of the best books I have read for a very long time. It made me laugh, cry and I didn't want to put it down. I didn't want it to end.
Adele Shea
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just love Calvin Wades style of writing. It's like you are living the characters lives with them. As a person who suffers with mental health I can't totally relate to what 'H' went through. Another great read from Calvin. Thank you. XX
Maureen
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully observed characters, witty and vibrant, and yet this is a story of mental illness and depression. It opens with the main character H, seemingly about to commit suicide by jumping from a bridge. That it is his life-long friend Andy who ‘talks him down’ is the starting point for a compassionate and revealing story that had me hooked from the first page. The musical references and the familiar London locations added to the pleasure of this surprising book.
A highly recommended 5 star
Misfits farm
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
H tells us of his life growing up. Always with his friend Andy by his side. The book starts with Andy sitting next to H on a viaduct with H deciding what to do with his life as he has just found out something about his wife that he wished he hadn’t. He then begins his story, telling of his childhood, his much adored father and of his first sexual encounters, all laced with a little humour. You can’t help but love Calvin’s characters and I am sure like me many will be reminded of those we have ...more
Lydia
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Although it's taken a while to read, this was a good read on how much stress and other factors all mixed together can become a burden on a person, who is trying to do it all. Throw in the GFC, and all things get hectic, and cause a mental breakdown.
I enjoyed reading the book and the ending, and seeing how things worked out for 'H.
Louise Child
Sep 06, 2017 rated it liked it
A good read.

Loved the music running through this tale . It is otherwise a fairly ordinary life but beautifully described .The friendship running through was wonderful .
melissa skinner
Jul 20, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Art of Hiding
  • The Woman at 72 Derry Lane
  • Liar Liar (Helen Grace, #4)
  • The Good Samaritan
  • Fifty Years of Fear (Dark Lives, #1)
  • So Lucky
  • The Day We Met
  • The Fear
  • After I've Gone
  • One For Sorrow
  • A History of Loneliness
  • Theo (One Love, Two Stories, #2)
  • The Summer Guest
  • The Olive Branch
Calvin Wade was born in Ormskirk, Lancashire in 1971. He studied Economics at Manchester Metropolitan University, graduating in 1992. On graduation, he worked in a record shop for eighteen months to fund a backpacking trip around the world.

Since returning from his travels, his working life has been in the mortgage industry, working for Alliance & Leicester, Yorkshire Building Society and
“Those that form the nucleus of our friendships and family bonds, at any given point in our lives, do not necessarily remain with us through time. There may be a variety of reasons for this. The relationships themselves may be fragile or their world may only ever have been intended to collide with ours for a short span of time. Ambition and love draw people in different directions, work lives can create nomadic pathways and loves journeys can take us on geographically diverse paths. Death may also arrive to cause its ultimate diversion or, as so often is the case these days, our mental health may become mental illness.” 0 likes