Start by marking “The Third Wave: Eidolon” as Want to Read:
The Third Wave: Eidolon

The Third Wave: Eidolon

In 2003, the largest recorded solar flare collided with Earth. The sensors measuring the solar storm were destroyed at an X28 rating, but it was determined later to be an X45 class flare. A satellite monitoring solar activity picks up something far surpassing that classification and on a collision course.

A solar storm, so strong that X classifications no longer apply, hi
Published May 18th 2017

To ask other readers questions about The Third Wave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Third Wave

Start your review of The Third Wave: Eidolon
Amanda Felix
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A tale of true terror....

John O'Brien has out done himself with this stand alone book. I was not sure what to expect other than a great book, knowing the author and his penchant for great horror and adventures. This is by far his best. A horror book because the science and arrogance of man can clearly be seen when they meddle with forces that can never be truly controled. But of course the people that survive don't know this, only that something has gone very wrong and the world they once knew is
Karina Halt
Very intriguing!! Frightening possibility.. ? Recommended! Very good read.
RJ
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ultimately I really liked this book. The beginning for me was slow and complex. The most difficult part was understanding the hadron collider experiment and the effect the accident had on people. Once that was clear the story flowed more freely and I began to enjoy and appreciate the characters and the struggle they were enduring. The plot build up and character background was quite detailed and excellent. I especially enjoyed the relationship between Sam and his teenage daughter Erin. The sub p ...more
Soukyan Blackwood
Oct 17, 2019 rated it liked it
all reviews in one place:
night mode reading
;
skaitom nakties rezimu

About the Book: First wave was the largest Solar Flare ever witnessed colliding with Earth. It killed all electronics, all backups, anything even remotely functioning on electricity, thus killing millions who depended on it. Among the broken machines was the Hadron Collider in the process of two particles colliding. The second wave, caused by those two particles ripping the very fabric of time and space killed billions by rippin
Patricia Wilson
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The best yet, from O'Brien

I've been an avid fan of John O'Brien's since the first volume in his New World ten book series was released. This time Mr. O'Brien has set a new standard for writers of fiction. Having gone beyond the norms of descriptive writing he has placed himself high among the best of the best with this book. This apocalyptic saga has the most enchanting panoramic views rarely seen in this genre. The storyline has all the deep personal emotions of any classic literature availab
Joan
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Earth is hit by a massive solar storm before it was predicted to hit so no one had prepared. Millions around the world die, others have their souls ripped out and the really unfortunate ones have their souls partially detached.
An American submarine is below surface running tests, American soldiers are on a mission in Afghanistan and a man and his young daughter are having a father/daughter road trip. The soldiers, the father and daughter were in caves while the sub was below the surface an
Cynthia Terrones
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK BLEW ME AWAY, A DEFINITE MUST READ!!!!!!

WOW, this book was the best and seriously blew me away!! No monsters or zombies here, but something even more scary, one thing that can't be stopped, a Solar Srorm and one thing done at the wrong time, that no one realizes could be the end of all mankind, a test in Quantum Physics. After its all over, the earth will never be the same, especially for Erin & her father Sam, Commander Lawrence and his men on the Submarine and Sgt O'Malley and his
Michael Tuccillo
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A very unique tale you will not want to miss!

As I started reading this story, I was thinking that the normal end of the world scenario would play out so many times before. However, to my pleasant surprise, this is no ordinary story. It's a search into the concept of a soul and roll it takes in this great adventure. I highly recommend it as it is unique, and in my opinion, is one of the best stories the author has written to date. Saying that, I have many more to read so we'll see. Enjoy!
Wayne Tripp
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome story from an even better author!

This is a major departure for Mr. O'Brien and what a great story! This story explores what could happen if we had an unprecedented solar flare coupled with the Hadron collider smashing particles at the exact same moment. No zombies in this book but rather an imaginative story of survival after all electronics and power fails. I really don't want to say more about the story for fear of causing spoilers.

I think John has outdone himself with th
Andrei
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I was a bit disappointed by the book, maybe it is because my personal preferences but it seem more like a collection of stories about different groups of people experiencing the life after a solar flare, I was expecting things to fit more nicely, more connections between the characters and a more solid ending. But then again I know that are those who like this type of writing style, so I don't want someone to deem this book mediocre, is just my appreciation.
Chris Piehota
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting concept but could have been executed better.

This book presented an interesting concept regarding a convergence of events, natural and man-made, that yielded grave consequences. The concept was interesting but the book was not presented in what I considered to be an exciting or interesting fashion. The characters were ok but the story progression was hard to get through. The ending also left a bit to be desired.
Diane Sigler
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gave Me Goosebumps

Amazing story! I almost wish it was longer. I kept hoping for Erin to meet up with the other group of soldiers and Afghanis. I wanted so bad for her to find love, have babies, etc. But she saved the world. How cool is that! Loved the characters, and the development of them. Loved the story, it was just so bizarre! At the end, I had goosebumps and tears in my eyes. Thank you for such a fantastic tale!
Neale
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Huge fan of the books John O'Brien writes, so I hold him (and some other authors) to a higher standard.... What I'm trying to say is if I just picked this book up and wasn't expecting anything I would have probably given it 5 stars.

The book was enjoyable, interesting premise and I made pretty short work of it (2 days). If this is the first book you read by John and you enjoy it - then you are probably in for a treat with his other books (particularly the "A New World" series).
Judy Hickman
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow, very enjoyable

Outstanding story. I immediately cared about the characters rooting for the humans. I loved the different characters and four once the monsters weren't the humans normally seen shtf stories. Although some of the storey was military related it was easy to understand and not overly techie. Love John O'Brien and he hits a home run with this story.
Lorrie Wolf vanblarcom
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The 3rd wave: Awesome

Wow, I couldn't stop reading this book. A very scary and beautiful tale on the apocalypse. No brain eating zombies. Way better. If ur wondering if u should get this book, Do it. You won't regret it.
John R. Dailey Jr.
May 27, 2017 rated it liked it
A WEIRD AND SAD TALE IT IS....

Hello, this is a different one right here. Really no way to tell you much without spoiling and I don't like spoiling. Definitely different. Felt very rushed and incomplete to me. Thanks.
Ari Liebe
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book couldn’t stop reading , i really recommend if you haven’t read it, take a time to sit down and have a wonderful and intriguing nail biting time
Glenn
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nice twist

Very cool taken not quite zombie but enough. Didn't care for the ending but if u are going to try and wrap it with one book, it kinda works.
Robert Lambert
Jul 16, 2017
Patrick
Mar 13, 2019
Punkbaster
rated it did not like it
Feb 21, 2018
Richard
Feb 12, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Add new book 4 13 Mar 16, 2019 01:42PM
John O'Brien is a former Air Force fighter instructor pilot who transitioned to Special Operations for the latter part of his career gathering his campaign ribbon for Desert Storm. Immediately following his military service, John became a firefighter/EMT with a local department. Along with becoming a firefighter, he fell into the Information Technology industry in corporate management. Currently, ...more