Start by marking “Consent (The Loan Shark Duet, #2)” as Want to Read:
Consent (The Loan Shark Duet, #2)

Consent (The Loan Shark Duet #2)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  927 Ratings  ·  229 Reviews
When Gabriel broke down my door, he took over my body and life. Never with force, but always with clever manipulation. He stripped me of my independence, my defenses, and my clothes and turned me into an addict for his touch.

Once, I had dreams and a future. Now, I have fears, scars, and insatiable needs. I’m damaged beyond repair, but if I’m to survive the most dangerous
Published November 14th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Consent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Consent

Sophia Triad
My pride won’t let me grovel for myself, but I’ll do anything for my baby.
Degrading myself like I’ve never done, I kneel down farther and kiss his feet, my tears spoiling his expensive shoes.
“Please, Gabriel, I beg you. Please, don’t kill us. I’m sorry. I’m so, so sorry. I’m sorry for running, but I didn’t have a choice.”

Valentina run as far away as possible. She was hungry, tired, scared, but determined. And she is found. And she is desperate mostly for the life of her unborn child and of h
Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends)

description
descriptionHoly mother of god was this book INTENSE. I think this may be one of the best duets I have read all year. WOWZA...so good. The writing remained fantastic. The pace (up until 75%) was great. The plot was engaging. The setting unique. There were twists and turns. The sex scenes were hot. The secondary characters were fantastic. And I LOVED both main characters (up until 75%). Valentina, what can I say? This poor girl was like a puppy that just kept getting kicked over and over and over again. And
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
🌟🌟🌟🌟1/2 STARS

photo DMnB96BVwAAT_wn_zpsdowqsjju.jpg

Wow!!!, What a read this was, I was engrossed until the bitter end.
"Consent" starts where "Dubious" left off and right from the get-go we are plunged right back into the raw and gritty world of Gabriel Louw AKA The Breaker.
So Gabriel is now on the hunt, his very delectable prey Valentina Haynes has bolted along with her brother Charlie to whereabouts unknown.
Valentina and Gabriel Both with very crossed wires over this now very real pregnancy and a new baby on the near horizon.
Gabr
Deborah
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5*

This is part two Dubious has to be read first and the same goes for this review.

So Consent picks up exactly where Dubious left off. Valentina is scared and running but her fear overruled her common sense, she grabbed Charlie and ran not giving a single thought to money. Now it's too late, if she withdraws any money she'll give away their location and so she finds herself alone with Charlie, no money, no where to live and no job.

Gabriel is beside himself and desperate to find Valentina but h
Natalie The Biblioholic
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, arc, dual-pov, dark
Picking up where Dubious left off, Val has run off and Gabriel is desperate to find her. It’s literally life or death for her and her brother, but Gabriel refuses to let anything happen to her and is willing to do anything to keep the owner of his heart safe. Even if that means going against everything he once was. Even if it means the end of life as he knows it.

I couldn’t wait to get my hands on this book. The author found a fan in me from the first book and these characters held on for their
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
Oh yes! Love love love.
~~~~~~~~~
Oh this book is the perfect completion to the two book series. Gabriel is a perfect blend of hard and calculating. Mean and controlling. Tender and loving. Impassioned and giving.

The author gave it her all and crafted a wonderful, absorbing read that took you on a roller coaster of highs and lows. She told you what would happen, but the process still made your heart crack open. I just couldn't wait until the truth came out and my heart could be happy again too.
Mindy Lou's Book Review
Consent picks up right where Dubious leaves off and thank goodness for that because it was a huge cliffhanger that had me on edge to see what was gonna happen next. In fact, this whole series has kept me on the edge of my seat.

I don’t think I’ve been more surprised by a series than I have by this one. Not only was it so much more than I expected, it also had elements to it that just blew my mind. This has one of the most anti Hero’s I’ve read to date and I never felt a person deserved the heroi
Madeline ❤️ Romance Bibliophile ❤️
♥♥ 5 Nail-Biting Stars ♥♥

Different reactions while reading…

description

I feel like it's been forever since I've fangirled over a series like this. This dark romance is amazing and brings so many different factors to the table. For one, it's hella sexy and has a lot of kinky sex, and who doesn't like that? It deals with forced seduction and how two people can build a real relationship after having such a rocky start, and how far they'll go to protect each other.

The last book left us hanging with Valentina r
Carvanz
Wow! I absolutely loved not only this book but this duet!

I’m hesitant to say too much about the storyline so I’ll try to keep this as spoiler free as possible.

Valentina is such a strong woman who has suffered through so much and yet it never beat her down. There were times that my gut clinched due to her circumstances and despite her fear and despair she held tight to the hope that she could get through to the next day for herself and her brother Charlie.

While what she experienced in the first
Sharron E.
I received a copy of this book through NetGalley for my honest review.
I'm not much for long af reviews, so cutting to the chase.
READ THIS DUET, GUYS.. A TOTAL EMOTIONAL ROLLER COASTER WITH STEAMY OFF THE CHART SCENES, YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.
~IreneOust~

How much did I enjoy DUBIOUS, the first book of this duet?? Enough to request an ARC of CONSENT which I NEVER do!!

Charmaine Pauls got on my radar completely by accident and I am SO HAPPY that she did. I didn't even know I was in the mood for a story such as this one till I started reading it and just ... couldn't stop. From the writing to the main characters and supporting cast, there isn't anything I didn't love about this duet. The story made me eat up pages like there is no tomorrow and I en
Snow
Nov 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: drama, romance

What was this?!

Like really?!

I gave into my compulsion...so i had to finish what I started...and...

fuck me...

BUT

this WAS SUPPOSED to be

a DARK read!!!

but instead...it was a mushy melodrama...there was too much *eye rolls* for my usual liking or tolerance, especially since I wasn't expecting this kind of unraveling...it just made me edgy and annoyed...

and I just didn't relate to this overblown cheezy stuff that ended up like a fairytale...

Kizzle Kay Books Reviews
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
ARC PROVIDED FOR HONEST REVIEW

I didn't just walk to find this ARC but my butt ran to sign up! This series is so transfixing and I read this book in one sitting.

This is an author I had never heard of before, so I had never read any of her books. These last 2 book have been so good that I now have an obsession for her and can't wait to read more of her work.

This book picks up right where the first one leads off which I love, I hate when books have time gaps in between the novels.

With that said,
Dirty Dayna
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-r2r-arr
4 "I didn't say I love you" stars
Consent is not a standalone and I feel like I should have been asked for consent before I jumped into this wild book.
consent takes back up the second Dubious ends.

" the embrace is what he offers. this is his answer. he wont set me free. what I get in return for love is a consolation hug "
"He covers my clit with his lips and sucks me through the orgasm until I'm trembling with aftershocks. "

"Touch yourself he commands. I find my clit and rub while he fucks me
Aղցela W.
I was given this book for an Honest Review
This was book 2 in The Loan Shark Duet . This book picks up where the first book left off Valentina finds out that she is going to have a baby and she runs away along with Charlie her brother. Gabriel is worried about Val he knows that she is having his baby and she has no money. This was a really good book I hated his mother Magda and his ex Sylvia in this book we find out the real reason why she wants Val and her brother dead and it is unbelievable.
Mg ♥ The Bookishmedialite
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
description

4.5 "I'm more than a vendetta or a debt, and he's more than The Breaker" stars.

"He's my darkness and my love, and he has no idea how truly I am his."

I have been obsessed with this story ever since I devoured Dubious–one of my favorite books of this year. With Consent, Charmaine Pauls delivers an intense, nail-biting story with a lot of twisting and turnings that will keep you on the edge of your comfy seat until you hit the end.

Consent is the the conclusion of The Loan Shark Duet, the perfe
Nicole
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favourite, arcs
A roller coaster of emotions...

I honestly feel very sad to see the series come to an end, I found it really hard to "extract" myself from Gabriel's and Valentina's world cause I adored both characters and especially the plot.

One thing for sure is that all your questions are going to be answered in this part...

The author has outdone herself (as always) with the finale.. so many things are happening, blow-minding twists, explosive secrets will be revealed, emotions are all over the place... sa
Joyous
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, 4-star, arc
So, this whole package delivered by Miss Charmaine Pauls was astounding at best. I mean I did not see that ending coming at all. This book started where the previous one ended on a cliffhanger and Thank God for that. Also, I didn’t have to wait for reading this one, which was a bonus. Otherwise I sure had scratched my eyes out in anticipation.
All the characters remained same along with few minor additions or subtractions as well (May those souls rest in peace!). The little suspense e
MsMoxy
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Consent 5 Stars

Goodbye. This is where I make my peace, find my acceptance. It’ll be a long road to healing, and I honestly don’t know if I can do it. Holding the pendant over the jar of keepsakes, I let the chain run through my fingers, allowing it to slip from my grasp, link by link. It drops with a clink on top of the mementos. This is where it belongs, with all the other lives I took.

OMG!!!!

I CRIED…

AND CRIED…

AND CRIED!

Above quote exemplifies perfectl
Jamie (TheRebelliousReader)
Arc provided in exchange for honest review from Netgalley

5 stars. This was such an emotional ending to the duology and I loved every heart stopping moment of it. While the first book was a lot darker and heavier in subject matter, this one was really damn sad. Beautiful ending, but sad nonetheless. I can’t decide which book I loved more, they were both so fantastic!

This picks up exactly where Dubious leaves off and the beginning half of this novel had me on edge because I was terrified of how ev
SansaReads
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing

This author delivers a splendid perfect five star conclusion..

The whole time I just kept thinking “OH MY GOD.”

Charmaine Pauls leaves you salivating and anxious with dubious and she heals you and brings you right back with Consent. The conclusion was everything I had hoped for and more. Considering that Dubious was my first ever read by Mrs. Pauls followed by consent, I was extremely impressed with her work.

description

Gabriel and Valentina pick right where they left off in Dubious and there isn't a minute
Tessa
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, dark, romance, mafia, series
I received a copy of this book through NetGalley for my honest review.

4.5 stars!

This continued where the last one left off. It was a wild ride and so much happened within the story and really was a wonderful story.

A lot of emotions went through me. Some things happened that hurt my heart, and some things made me grin. This one wasn't as dark as the first book, but it was heavier. There were a lot of repercussions to things and that had to be dealt with.

There was one thing that happened that I
Janee
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, arc
This was a exciting Duet! The first book hooked me. The second was just as great if not better. Val is the girl who has though every wrong that can go on in her young life. Parents die, big brother in car accident with had brain damage, and more that goes on to make these two books so addicting.

As the this book comes along Gabriel finely figured out how his greed, selfishness, and mother ruined his life. He puts all his wants and need aside for Valentina. At the end of this book become not so da
Ana (thestarslisten)
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
FUCKING CRAZY, SEXY, MIND-BLOWING, AND HEART STOPPING. I can't express how much I love this duology.

*ARC received via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.*

"What lies in front of me is a broken creature, an angel with torn wings and pieces of her soul and body missing. Despite the injuries, she still fights to fly."

SPOILER FREE REVIEW

P L O T

THE PLOT IS MESSED UP AND CRAZY!
When I thought Consent couldn't get any better compared to Dubious and the drama couldn't get any worse, it just di
Sissy's Romance Book Review
Consent by Charmaine Pauls is Book Two in "The Loan Shark Duet". This continues the story of Valentina and Gabriel. You do have to read the previous book "Dubious" before reading this one to fully enjoy their story.
Consent picks up where Dubious left off. Gabriel is trying to locate Valentian who has up and left with her brother and not thinking to take any money with her. Gabriel plans on things going different than how he was working it before when he get a hold of Valentina again. Valentina
Amber- Leave Me Alone I'm Reading
Whoa! What a fantastic finale to the Loan Shark Duet! I was on the edge of my seat the entire time! This series has been one hell of a wild and twisty ride. These characters are so frustrating at times but it was awesome to see their growth in this book. Highly recommend this duet!
Maura Pritchard
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Intense Dark Romance
This is the second book in The Loan Shark Duet. The emotions that are evoked are intense in this book as is the first book. The story of Gabriel and Valentina continues. Their story is not a calm boat ride on a placid lake. It’s a boat ride on a stormy sea where you get thrown up to the top of a 20 foot swell to plummet headfirst down to the bottom. I cried for both Valentina and Gabriel. I screamed at the both of them in frustration. Loved this book! Yes its intense and dark
Rodgine
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: me-gusta
⋆ ARC kindly provided by the author for an honest review ⋆

Here comes the hardest part: Writing a review for an exceptionally brilliant story without spoiling everything to the readers. So, here are some lines that I love to distract ya'll.

"You're evil."

The smile vanishes, and his expression turn serious. "Yes, I am, but no matter what I am, you're mine."

Consent picks up after that cliffhanger from Dubious. Really, who loves a cliffhanger? Well, if it's from this kind of story, that will be me
Lauren Townley
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
SQUUUEEEE! I literally thanked sweet baby Jesus when I received the email saying I'd been approved for an early read of Consent! After finishing Dubious, I lied back, let out the biggest sigh.. then growled. What the hell was I going to do whilst waiting for the second part!? Well, jokes on me cuz apparently someone out there loves me; I was sent a copy!
Right, so Consent literally picks up straight where Dubious left off, like to the actual minute. I love that! There's no annoying time gap where
B.E.L.L.A.Mc
ARC NetGalley

Good ending to a good duet. Lots of angst and steamy sex. It wasn’t quite as gripping as the first book but had enough excitement to hold my interest to the end. There are some shocking revelations and events. Magda? I still cared about Val and Gabriel. Gabriel remains a strong Alpha throughout, which is a must for me. Valentina handles the bad hand she’s dealt like the smart and strong woman she is.

I dropped 1* because the whole ‘surgery’ angle didn’t feel right to me. Surgery can
Charmaine Pauls was born in Bloemfontein, South Africa. She obtained a degree in Communication at the University of Potchestroom, and followed a diverse career path in journalism, public relations, advertising, communications, photography, graphic design, and brand marketing. Her writing has always been an integral part of her professions.

After relocating to Chile with her French husband, she ful
More about Charmaine Pauls

The Loan Shark Duet (2 books)
  • Dubious (The Loan Shark Duet, #1)

Romance Deals

• The Wedding Shroud (Tales of Ancient Rome, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
  • Better Off Without Him
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Veronica's Dragon (Icehome, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • No Prince Charming (Secrets of Stone Series Book 1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2)
  • Be My Reason
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed (Honor Bound Book 2)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • His Unlikely Lover (Unwanted, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love Me Sweet (Bell Harbor, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Ember (Red-Hot SEALs, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taking Catie (Temptation Saga #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Desire After Dark (Gansett Island, #14)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Scotch King (Scotch #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • This Love of Mine (Mirror Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Storm Warrior (Grim, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures with a Rookie (Misadventures, #11)
  • Finding Libbie: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love at Last (Love in Bloom: The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor, #6.5)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Nitro's Torment (Sydney Storm MC #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Only You
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Lily and the Duke (Sex and the Season #1)
  • A Girl's Best Friend
    $9.99 $1.99
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender/Submission Bound Hearts 1 & 2
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
    $7.99 $3.49
  • Mistress of Magic
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • INK: A Love Story on 7th and Main
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Misadventures of a City Girl (Misadventures, #2)
  • A Ruthless Proposition
  • Hometown Girl
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
  • The Fixer Upper
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Forever Hunted (Forever Bluegrass #9)
  • The Cafe by the Sea
  • My Brother Michael
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Elect (Eagle Elite, #2)
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Dodging Temptation
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Find Me (Corrupted Hearts #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunger (The Energy Vampires #2)
  • Bittersweet
  • The Light In Summer
    $5.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Collision Point (Brute Force, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Storm Bound (Grim, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Valiant (Spy Girl Book 4)
  • Wrecked
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sapphire Heist (Jewel, #2)
  • The Other Side of the Story
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Out of Focus (Adams Grove, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What If
  • Impossible Saints
    $22.73 $1.99
  • Hudson (Fixed, #4)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Only a Millionaire (The Sinclairs #6.5)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Elite (Eagle Elite, #1)
  • Kulti
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Soul Summoner  (The Soul Summoner, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • April / May / June (Calendar Girl #4-6)
    $8.99 $3.99
  • Twilight / Life and Death (Twilight, #1, 1.75)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Hard Love (Hacker #5)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • A Walk to Remember
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Secrets in Death (In Death, #45)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Hard Limit (Hacker #4)
    $6.99 $0.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • Valorous (Quantum, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tempting Dusty (Temptation Saga, #1)
  • When Never Comes
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Misadventures with the Boss (Misadventures, #12)
  • Baby Daddy
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twice Bitten (Argeneau #27)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Misadventures of a Good Wife (Misadventures, #6)
  • Calendar Girl: Volume Three
    $8.99 $3.99
  • Love and Other Unknown Variables
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Storm Warned (Grim, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Real Thing (Sugar Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Bronze Horseman (The Bronze Horseman, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Light After Dark (Gansett Island, #15)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • How To Marry A Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)