Start by marking “The Boy Who Lived with the Dead (Inspector Albert Lincoln #2)” as Want to Read:
The Boy Who Lived with the Dead (Inspector Albert Lincoln #2)

The Boy Who Lived with the Dead

(Inspector Albert Lincoln #2)

The second historical thriller in the Albert Lincoln series by acclaimed crime writer Kate Ellis.

A child haunted by the past . . . A village troubled by secrets . . .

It is 1920 and Scotland Yard detective DI Albert Lincoln is still reeling from the disturbing events of the previous year. Trapped in a loveless marriage and tired of his life in London
Published December 6th 2018 by Piatkus

To ask other readers questions about The Boy Who Lived with the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy Who Lived with the Dead

Start your review of The Boy Who Lived with the Dead (Inspector Albert Lincoln #2)
Beata
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
The second offering with Inspector Albert Lincoln starts a year and a half after solving his previous case. This time Albert goes up north to a small village in Cheshire which witnessed his failure as a policeman. Some years back he did not manage to find the murderer of a small boy, and this defeat has stayed with Albert ever since. This time a young woman is found murdered in the graveyard, and her baby missing.
The plot is quite complex, actually there are several subplots, interestingly link
Puzzle Doctor
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding follow up to A High Mortality Of Doves. Full review at classicmystery.blog
Valerie Campbell Ackroyd
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had already read one Kate Ellis this week, one of her Wesley Peterson series, a series I read at least one of every other month. Eventually I will catch up with her. Having returned that one to the ship’s library, I noticed it had another Kate Ellis but this one was not part of the Wesley Peterson series but featured another detective, Albert Lincoln of Scotland Yard, and is set in 1919-1920. The fly leaf sounded quite interesting—Albert returns to a village in North West England where he had ...more
Elaine Tomasso
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I would like to thank Netgalley and Little, Brown Book Group UK for a review copy of The Boy Who Lived with the Dead, the second novel to feature DI Albert Lincoln of Scotland Yard, set in 1920.

When Patience Bailey is killed in the village of Mabley Ridge DI Albert Lincoln is sent north to lead the investigation, due to his familiarity with area. He has mixed feelings about the secondment, glad to escape the pressure of his failing marriage but apprehensive about returning to the sce
Bridget
This book was not what I was expecting from its title, nevertheless, it was a remarkable, fast-paced thriller with many twists in the plot. There were many threads to the story all of which were neatly developed. I hadn’t read the first book before reading this and although I think I would have benefited from doing so, I didn’t feel as though my enjoyment of “ The Boy Who Lived With the Dead” had been spoiled.

This enjoyable historical crime thriller was set in 1920 and DI Albert Lincoln is sent
Sharon Terry
This is the second Albert Lincoln in what is supposed to be a trilogy, the first being A High Mortality of Doves.

Once more, DI Albert Lincoln has to venture into a rural village to investigate the murder of a young woman and the disappearance of her baby. One of the key witnesses is Peter, a young boy who seems confused between fantasy and reality and whose tales are not believed by others. He talks of a "Shadow Man" he has seen in the cemetery near his home. Peter is also the brother of a youn
Abby Slater- Fairbrother
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Boy Who Lived With The Dead, picks up 18 months after the previous novel in the series A High Morality Of Doves. This time the case that Albert Lincoln is called to is in Cheshire. It is the location of a previous murder, that Albert was unsuccessful in solving. The case of little Jimmy Rudyard weighs heavy on his mind. With a woman murdered and a baby now missing. Albert must work quickly to solve the case and locate the baby.

The novel opens in September 1920, at the village of Mabley Ridg
Maria
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed reading this book. I enjoyed the twists and turns as the detective ask the questions and you start think you know who done it and there would be another twist or turn. I love Kate Ellis style of writing. I will definitely be reading more of her books.
Margaret
Jan 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: crime
Sequel to "High Mortality of Doves".

Did not enjoy at all. Felt more like a filler piece than a novel in it's own right.
David Gilchrist
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book set post WW1, great characters and I feel another one will come along with Inspector Albert Lincoln being the lead.
Alma
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love the writing style of Kate Ellis and as a 2nd book in this trilogy I finished it in 2 days so I'm looking forward to the 3rd and final novel in the series
Simona
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic - Albert Lincoln returns - such a understanding of the harm of war - secrets, lies, respectability in a small town. Really looking forward to book 3
Theunis Snyman
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In a certain way this book is a continuation of “A high mortality of Doves”. I suggest that you read that book before this one so that certain things are not spoiled for you. But in other respects the story of this book stands on its own. Once again we are confronted by the horrors of the First World War. And then there is the baby who disappears, the boy who “fabricates” stories, the man without a face and the murder of a young women and an old women. The reader becomes emotionally involved wit ...more
Louise Marley
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Kate Ellis! She's one of my all-time favourite authors, mainly because her plots are so fiendishly clever I can never work out 'whodunit'. Or if I do, my guess will be only a small part of the story. I don't know how she does it!

Kate Ellis is mainly known for her 'Wesley Peterson' archaeological mystery series - set in the present day but with a historical mystery threading through the stories. The Boy Who Lived with the Dead is the second in her 'Albert Lincoln' series and is
Helen
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Atmospheric sequel, mainly set in Cheshire. Very good on the aftermath of the First World War - the impact on communities and families, the flu epidemic, the former soldiers begging in the streets, the bereaved turning for comfort to suspect spiritualists. This is still quite melodramatic but not so much as the previous book in the series. The cemetery provides some very Gothic moments - a woman murdered by being pushed unconscious into an open grave and buried alive, for instance. A mystery fro ...more
Anna
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn't realise, when I found this book in the library, that it featured DI Albert Lincoln who had first appeared in A Mortality of Doves. This was equally as good a read. It is set just a year later. For those who have yet to read the first book there's an unobtrusive 'catch up' included within the story which means that each book can be read as a stand alone. There are plenty of twists and turns in the plotting to satisfy 'whodunnit' fans. I certainly didn't guess the outcome until very near ...more
Sara
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good old-fashioned whodunit. Very readable. A perfect read for a rainy Sunday afternoon. Some serious issues are dealt with: war, PTSD, the death of children, serious illnesses, murder, betrayal, and just about every deadly sin, but these issues are softened by the quiet gentility and underlying goodness of the main characters. Peter, "The Boy", is a wonderful and very real personality - it would be nice to read more about him in subsequent novels.
Ant Koplowitz
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Very good. A solid mystery set in 1920 sees Scotland Yard detective Albert Lincoln return to northern England. This time he's investigating the random murder of a mother and child.

Kate Ellis pitches things just right and there's a convincing sense of atmosphere and place. I think that this book is even better than the first Lincoln story.

Highly recommended.

© Koplowitz 2019
Amanda Williams
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m so glad that she did a second book, set in the time period just after the war, a woman is buried alive and her baby is missing Inspector Lincoln investigates when things don’t seem right, you also get the perspective of a young boy Peter he has a great imagination but every one says he’s a liar but is there truth in what he says.
Such a good book really enjoyed it, very atmospheric
Karen Keane
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
The second book about DI Albert Lincoln and I think I enjoyed it even more than the first one. Albert is certainly a flawed detective but in this book he seems more human and more likeable. Albert is sent to the North to try and solve the murder of a mother and her baby son, but things aren't always what they seem. A fantastic read which kept me guessing right until the last few pages.
Maria
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, review
Timothy Dobbin
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Set in the aftermath of the first war, sees a London detective return to a village to investigate a murder after previously failed to solve one that occurred there before the war. Some of the threads from Kate's previous book are picked up and there are more left for the next one, perhaps?
cheryl horne
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great book from Kate Ellis and left me wanting to read the next in the series. I know its meant to be a trilogy but the series must go on.
Highly recommended but read mortality of doves first
Charmaine
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Excellent murder mystery story with a clever plot and many twists and turns and multiple suspects. A vivid portrayal of the characters and the suffering caused, to many, by the horrors of the First World War.
Ann
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Remembered reading the first installment of this series, but failed to remember than I didn't love it.

It all came back to me.

While it is a convoluted murder mystery, an interesting side note is that every couple portrayed in unhappy.

Dismal.

Sherree
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very good story and a couple of different mysteries. Definitely enjoyed this read.
Louise
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I got a bit confused with all the name changes but a really good read
Baz
Nov 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting plot idea which I enjoyed. I'll look for more books by Kate Ellis
Sandra
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
a evry good book. I have previously read the author's Wesley Peterson books which I liked but found a bit tame, but this one in a different series I feel captures the time period well.
Sally
Dec 25, 2018 rated it liked it
There was some repetition of Albert’s life with his wife and former “love” but the book was still an interesting read. Albert may be a good detective but he’s weak around women.

• The Stone Circle (Ruth Galloway, #11)
  • Cold as the Grave: Inspector McLean 9 (The Inspector McLean Series)
  • Many Rivers to Cross (Inspector Banks, #26)
  • The Long Call (Two Rivers, #1)
  • The Lost Shrine (Hills & Barbrook #2)
  • Fall Down Dead (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #18)
  • The Stalker
  • Dead at First Sight (Roy Grace, #15)
  • A Bitter Feast (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James #18)
  • Cruel Acts (Maeve Kerrigan #8)
  • The Stranger Diaries
  • To Catch a Killer: Enter the mind of a murderer and you may never get out
  • The Secret of Cold Hill (House on Cold Hill, #2)
  • No Time to Cry (DC Constance Fairchild, #1)
  • Murder in Belgravia (A Mayfair 100 Murder Mystery #1)
  • How the Dead Speak (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #11)
  • Carrion Comfort
  • The Scandal
Kate Ellis was born and brought up in Liverpool and she studied drama in Manchester. She worked in teaching, marketing and accountancy before first enjoying writing success as a winner of the North West Playwrights competition. Crime and mystery stories have always fascinated her, as have medieval history and archaeology which she likes to incorporate in her books. She is married with two grown up ...more

Inspector Albert Lincoln (2 books)
  • A High Mortality of Doves (Inspector Albert Lincoln #1)