Start by marking “Unbelievable?: Why after ten years of talking with atheists, I'm still a Christian” as Want to Read:

No one likes to be told they are wrong; but is that any reason not to listen? Seeking to burst the 'Christian bubble' that many believers find comfort in, Justin Brierley began to invite atheists, sceptics and non-believers onto Premier Christian Radio to unpack and understand the so-called 'unbelievables' of the Christian faith.

Now, over ten years later, Premi
Published June 15th 2017 by SPCK

To ask other readers questions about Unbelievable?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unbelievable?

Start your review of Unbelievable?: Why after ten years of talking with atheists, I'm still a Christian
Rod
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just met this celebrity at the Apologetics Canada Conference March 2018. Gotta love funny British guys.

My wife knew who he was -- I've never heard of him. Apparently he has a successful radio show and podcast offering called "Unbelievable?". I've now listened to about 10 episodes: they are nice and somewhat frustratingly entertaining. So I bought his book.

The book is a rather short undertaking of his life and radio ministry. A good introduction is all.

But he’s no theol
Alex
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
I found "Unbelievable?" by Justin Brierley an easy and approachable read. He begins with a chapter on his own faith journey and the origins of the Unbelievable? radio show. He then covers many of the major arguments for Christianity such as the argument from design, the argument from morality (including an interview with Richard Dawkins), and the evidence for the resurrection of Jesus. He tackles the thorny issue of suffering with sensitivity. I think he is on the money in his closing chapter wh ...more
Jacob O'connor
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My church has a disproportionate amount of talented preachers. As good as they are, I've noticed a trend. The better I like them, the longer I've known them, the more I trust them - the better their sermons get. The more I care about them, the more I care what they say.

I feel the same way about Justin Brierley. I've been listening to his "Unbelievable" podcast for a few years. He's a warm, likable guy, and I appreciate how fair he is to his guests. Even the ones with whom he disagrees. Brierley
Michael Brady
Justin Brierly, host of Premier Christian Radio's "Unbelievable?" in the UK, has just written a book titled "Unbelievable?: Why after ten years of talking with atheists, I'm still a Christian." It's quite good, though it contains little we haven't heard on the radio program (or the podcast). So of course me and some of the other non-believers who hang out at the "Unbelievable?" forum are having a crack at a "Justin Response Book" in a manner inverse to the Christian response to Bart Ehrmann's "H ...more
J.J. Richardson
This was great as an audio book. Such a format plays off of Justin's talents as a broadcaster and a story teller in a way that's inviting, engaging and comprehensible for the everyman.
Daniel
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really well written, insightful and easy read. It's the sort of book a Christian or skeptic would enjoy because Justin engages with the types of questions people actually ask which makes it worthwhile, irrespective of your current standpoint.

Some of the reading highlights were listening to Justin retell highlights from some of the debates he has overseen over the years, some of which I've since listened to since.

This would be one of my top-5 books to give to a skeptical fr
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a brilliant book. Justin managed to broach so many topics while maintaining a warm, personable, intelligent, understandable and thought-provoking style. Some people may say that it's all been said before in the radio show but I am a regular listener and he managed to succinctly explain many things in clever new ways. It was a joy to read and I will be recommending this to my Christian and non-Christian friends alike.
Aidan McDonagh
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Measured, considered, balanced, simply put but also concisely written. I love seeing Christians who don’t bury their head in the sand while atheists decry their faith. The fact that he willingly welcomes, invites and engages with atheists of all kinds on his show displays a confidence not only that Christianity can take the heat but also that he is willing to intellectually engage with these big issues and objections to Christian faith or indeed theism in general. And this comes acro ...more
Nick
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Having been a semi-regular listener to the Unbelievable? podcast down the years, it was great to hear Justin's journey to bringing the show through to fruition, which he details in the opening chapter.

The majority of the rest of the book summarises the best arguments for and against the existence of God, as well as the best arguments for and against the life, death and resurrection of Jesus, and Justin does a wonderful job at summarising them with necessary brevity (to keep the book
Tim Heath
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book both easy to read (while tackling some heavy topics) and hard to put down, which is why I finished it in four days. Whether you are a believer or not, this book should be essential reading for anyone wanting to approach life’s biggest questions from a logical, truth seeking point of view. It really is that helpful. Highly recommended!!
Taylor Rollo
This might be my new favorite book to introduce Christians to apologetics. Brierley provides a winsome, charitable, and helpful argument for Christianity. I have a couple of issues with the book, which I will get to, but those, in my opinion, do not impugn the overall helpfulness of this book.

The book begins with an appeal for charitable and civil conversations between atheists and Christians, and he is not simply knocking the angry atheists but challenging angry Christians as well. In fact, he
Tim
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
This is a skilfully written book that makes the case for Christianity with great clarity, Brierley's skills no doubt honed by his years hosting debates between believers and atheists. It left me, a convinced Humanist, totally unmoved, but it's an important read for my fellow non-belieivers to help them understand where Christians are coming from, and why an obviously intelligent guy believes what we see as total rubbish. One clear conclusion that can be drawn is that it is nigh on impossible to ...more
Tommy Grooms
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've listened to the Unbelievable? podcast for a few years, so I was excited to read Justin Brierley's book. At its core it is an apologetics book making the case for Christianity, but what sets it apart is Brierley's unique experience fielding hundreds of conversations between believers and nonbelievers making the best arguments for and against the faith. Brierley uses his experience to make his arguments with the fairness and respect that is characteristic of how he moderates the show.
Lars
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Justin Brierley adds a balanced, informed, personal, accessible and theologically sensible book to the apologetics genre. If you know someone who is, for whatever reason, just entering the conversation, this is definitely an appropriate place to begin.
Curt Bailey
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
I began listening to the Unbelievable? podcast about 9 months ago. Podcasts were new to me at the time, and this was one of the first awesome shows that I managed to stumble across. Since then, Unbelievable? (the radio show/podcast) has been very helpful in developing my faith and forcing me to reason through my beliefs.

You can imagine my excitement then when I heard about Justin’s book. Justin Brierley is the moderator of the debates on his show, and he does a wonderful job. The num
Luke Ellison
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have listened to Justin's radio show and podcast, Unbelievable? for awhile now where he facilitates discussions primarily between Christians and skeptics. Justin is a Christian, but I am always amazed at how impartial he comes off in the show - you would hardly know he is a Christian! Anyways, I really respect Justin and decided that I would read his book in which he defends his Christian faith.

I like Justin's approach to the book - he tries to consider the skeptics point of view a
Msimone
Jun 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Brierly recounts the debates concerning the existence of God and the belief in Christianity issues in his dialectic conversations with atheists, sceptics and agnostics whom he has interviewed over the years on his weekly podcast series "unbelievable."

This book is readable to the non-Christian, but more so to the Christian. Its interest for me rests in the author's énumération of the apologiste such as Stephen Law and Richard Dawkins, whose books are widely read by non-believers, and
Matthew Taylor
The book is a pleasant, but disappointing read.

I am an avid listener to Justin's Unbelievable podcast and I was very keen to read his story and his account of the the first ten years of the show.

In his opening chapter he encourages good dialogue between those with and without faith. A position I wholeheartedly agree with. It's why I listen to his show and why his show is the only religious show I make the effort to listen to.

Unfortunately that's the only good
Cody
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unbelievable? Is the Mere Christianity of our time. A book that uses arguments of the head not to win an empty argument but to pierce the heart of someone searching for God.

I love apologetics books. I have read many. Mostly I read them for entertainment, because I am sick that way. I also enjoy hearing something unique in the field. However, most are written in and for the Christian echo chamber. Most are dry, one-sided, incomplete, and without nuance.

Unbelievable? Howeve
Rejoy Thadathil
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-books
L.I.T. Tarassenko
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good book. Not arguing much that is particularly new, however the author acknowledges that.

What makes it more interesting is his years of experience moderating debates on his radio show/podcast between atheists and Christians, where he has had some some high-profile and/or heavyweight speakers on.

Examples include Dawkins, Arif Ahmed, Bart Erhman, Derren Brown, Laurence Krauss (atheists); John Lennox, Alister McGrath, Gary Habermas, Andy Bannister, NT Wright (Christians) a
Samuel
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you have spent much time listening to Unbelievable? Justin Brierley's radio show/podcast, then there may not be much new here, the topics he covers in the book are topics he has covered time and time again after 10 years of weekly conversations between Christians and non-Christians. But he does state that right up front, this is his taking the best arguments he has found in his 10 years of conducting conversations and ruminating why some are more compelling than others, and where he personall ...more
Ehi
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great read, from someone who’s spent a decade as a Christian facilitating debates with non-Christians about the veracity of the religion’s claims. It went through the biggest questions against Christianity and provided both sides of the argument. As a Christian who’s experienced doubt, I liked that it fairly presented both sides. It was a great read that summarised quiet dense historical and scientific work. I would recommend it to anyone who’s curious about religion.
John Jaksich
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well-written book by Justin Brierley that details his conversations with noted Atheists. Reading the book gave me clarity regarding what it means to be Christian, scientist, and writer. It wholly recommend the book. I believe the book is needed for many us who spend our days reading and writing science --and who also wonder what it means to connect with those who no longer accept religion. We are not in the minority.
Philip
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read. Easily accessible and highly recommended. Justin has had conversations with the top scientists and theologians and mixtures of the two and highlights why he remains a Christian. Funnily enough, they are many of the same reasons I am a Christian. I finished this in a couple days and will be purchasing for a few friends both Christian and non.
Ada
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Succint yet covering a lot of topics and angles in defence of the reasonability and coherence of christian faith, thorough yet accesible, delivered in a friendly and humble manner, I have enjoyed it as much as I enjoy Justin’s radio show, Unbelievable. He is a model of caring opened, respectful conversations on tough subjects with people of disagreeing opinions.
enyanyo
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
...the belief that humans are created free, equal and with inherent dignity only makes sense if there is a God.

I've been a fan of the podcast for some years now and it was great to read Justin's arguments for faith. He delves into deep topics while making his writing still accessible. Recommend this for sceptics and believers alike.
Jesse Rice
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of the arguments are a little too long or less than convincing, but overall this is a good introduction to apologetics with the recognition that Christianity is so much more than arguments and reason. Both of those have a place, but ultimately we must continue past those to truly encounter Christ.
Matt Chapman
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Besides a couple of theological points I disagree on, this is a very helpful read.
It's extremely readable and provides clear answers to many of the commonest objections to Christianity.
Good for Christians and non-Christians alike.
Matt Hill
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
giant fan of this podcast for years, so was very thankful for this book . . more surface level than i'd anticipated, but in the end it was very comprehensive and solid and well-done . . a really good intro to the issues and the basic case that can be made for Christianity . . highly recommend! :)

• Can We Trust the Gospels?
  • The Skeletons in God's Closet: The Mercy of Hell, the Surprise of Judgment, the Hope of Holy War
  • No God but One: Allah or Jesus?: A Former Muslim Investigates the Evidence for Islam and Christianity
  • God's Undertaker: Has Science Buried God?
  • Is God a Moral Monster?: Making Sense of the Old Testament God
  • Evidence That Demands a Verdict: Life-Changing Truth for a Skeptical World
  • The Bible Tells Me So: Why Defending Scripture Has Made Us Unable to Read It
  • Confronting Christianity: 12 Hard Questions for the World's Largest Religion
  • Making Sense of God: An Invitation to the Skeptical
  • Simply Christian: Why Christianity Makes Sense
  • Gunning for God: A Critique of the New Atheism
  • God's Big Picture: Tracing the Story-Line of the Bible
  • Essential Sacred Writings from Around the World: A Thematic Sourcebook on the History of Religions
  • The Inner Reaches of Outer Space: Metaphor as Myth and as Religion (Collected Worksl)
  • Self-Analysis
  • Reflections of a Scientist
  • Morality Without God?
  • Seven Theories of Religion
“It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it. Joseph Joubert I” 1 likes
“God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pain: it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world.’5” 1 likes