Start by marking “Eliza and Her Monsters” as Want to Read:
Eliza and Her Monsters

Eliza and Her Monsters

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  46,291 ratings  ·  9,597 reviews
Her story is a phenomenon. Her life is a disaster.

In the real world, Eliza Mirk is shy, weird, and friendless. Online, she’s LadyConstellation, the anonymous creator of the wildly popular webcomic Monstrous Sea. Eliza can’t imagine enjoying the real world as much as she loves the online one, and she has no desire to try.

Then Wallace Warland, Monstrous Sea’s biggest fanfict
Hardcover, Owlcrate Exclusive Edition, 385 pages
Published May 30th 2017 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Eliza and Her Monsters, please sign up.
Jada Grisson Emmy is an engineering prodigy. It's never explained at length, but the assumption is she skipped a few grades. And don't forget, she's fifteen now. :…moreEmmy is an engineering prodigy. It's never explained at length, but the assumption is she skipped a few grades. And don't forget, she's fifteen now. :p :)(less)

·  46,291 ratings  ·  9,597 reviews

Start your review of Eliza and Her Monsters
Emily May
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
She drew so many monsters that she became a monster herself.

4 1/2 stars. The only reason it's not 5 is that it took a little while for me to get into it. But when I did, it completely blew me away. I liked this even more than Zappia's Made You Up.

I'm not going to lie to you - a huge part of my love for this book is because I related so much to Eliza. So freaking much. Well, except for the part where she's a talented webcomic artist and I'm not, but shhh.

Some of you know this, but others do
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
I took waaaaay too long to finish this book, but I honestly don't have any regrets about that. I actually think it lined up perfectly with something I'm facing in my own life right now, that's similar to what Eliza faced with being a creator online. I feel so connected and understood by this story and I'm glad I finally worked myself up to finishing it.
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, contemporary
I finished a book for the first time in more than a month!!! Yay!!!!
This was such a good read! It was so much more than I was expecting and just gripped me right from the beginning. Loved it!
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
UPDATE: $2.99 Kindle US today 9/12/19

I got some wonderful stuff in the mail yesterday (7/3/17) and I love them! I love getting stuff from the pub etc.

I loved this book so very much!

*****There will be some spoilers because I can't help myself*****

I love the book has drawings and stories all through-out the book. They are so awesome!

I love Eliza. She's quiet, wants to be left alone in her online world where she writes her webcomic: Monstrous Sea. She has two wonderful friends online that have hel
emma
in a friendly reminder that i've sh*t on all your faves, i posted this review!! find it here (preferably before unfollowing me out of righteous fury): https://emmareadstoomuch.wordpress.co...

------------
Hindsight is 20/20.

I now understand, having read this book, what I did not grasp previously: that maybe I shouldn’t have expected to like this.

For one thing, I full on hate Francesca Zappia’s other book with everything that I am, which in retrospect is seeming like a more important factor than i
Emma Giordano
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 STARS! I REALLY REALLY REALLY LOVED THIS READ
(also gonna leave this review blank for now bc I MUST FILM A VIDEO REVIEW)
Maria
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.8/5 Stars ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

“You found me in a constellation.”

― Francesca Zappia, Eliza and Her Monsters

This book was an adequate distraction from my real life right now. Which is exams, pressure, exams, kill me, exams, fuck-my-life, death. I enjoyed reading 50 pages of this every day before I went to sleep after a stressful and straining day.

We start off with Eliza, an unsociable, shy and introverted high school girl who is experiencing anxiety and depression and is closed off to the virtual wor
amy ☂︎
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
fangirl: who are you
eliza and her monsters: i’m you but stronger
Samantha
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites-2017
I just binge read this in a day. No regrets. 4.5 stars.

As someone who isn't the biggest fan of contemporary, THIS is the kind of contemporary for me. It's a celebration of fandom and online life. It's like Fangirl on steroids. It deals with mental health, and negativity online beautifully. AND, one of the fandoms the protagonist was a part of is actually a real serial novel the author puts up on Wattpad and Tumblr. So cool. This is a love letter to fandom and I ADORED it.
Elle (ellexamines)
I understand that it's a teenage thing to say parents don't get it, but they don't get it. It's not their fault they were born two and a half decades before me, but would it kill the to ask me what I'm doing on the phone before they assume it's something pointless?
This is maybe one of the best contemporaries I've ever read. I mean, I read it in three sittings within the same five hours. Francesca Zappia: you're doing amazing, sweetie.

THEMES AND MENTAL ILLNESS

What good is a care
C.G. Drews
This is like the ultimate book for those of us who hiss at sunlight and live on the internet. SO MUCH INTERNET APPRECIATION. I also absolutely adored the writing, the anxiety/depression rep, the themes of creating and art and writing, and how many illustrations were in this book. Like so many illustrations?!???? I'm so pleased.

I shall just hug it now.

I also really loved the author's debut Made You Up! And like I couldn't help comparing them a little as I read...and I definitely loved MYU more. B
High Lady of The Night Court
"Like life, what gives a story its meaning is the fact that it ends. Our stories have lives of their own—and it’s up to us to make them mean something."

I think a part of me just died because this book is over. I don’t think I can process what is happening right now. I love this book so much I don’t think my heart is beating anymore. I’m still screaming my head off internally.

This book dealt with so many social and emotional issues with such clarity and depth I don’t think it gets better than
Warda
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
[4.5 ⭐️] My heart has been wrung out. I woke up with my heart feeling so full and being in pain. I need to drown my sorrows in ice cream. Haagen Dazs Strawberry Cheesecake, preferably.
Gosh, this was so relatable!

Pretty sure you all know what this is about, but just in case you don't, it's about Eliza and her world. The Sea Monsters. The fandom she's created and chose to write anonymously about. Her art. Which in turn becomes her life. She's more active online than she is in the real world. She's
She-who-must-not-be-named

I am reeling with a tempest of emotions of what transpired in this book. This story was everything I wanted it to be and I couldn't wish for more. It took me longer than usual to finish this book because I held onto every page, every paragraph, every word and every syllable refusing to let go. My love for this book hit a crescendo, and there is
Melanie

“You found me in a constellation.”

Friends, I loved this story. And if the ending was a little different, this would have been such an easy five star read. I love books centered on creators on the internet. While reading this, I was constantly reminded of one my favorite books of all time, Radio Silence by Alice Oseman. Which, I’m not really sure if here is any higher praise than to be compared to that book.

But basically, this book is all about putting yourself out there, carving your
Francesca Zappia
Feb 15, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
UPDATE 7/10/17: I've had a lot of people ask what they can do to support and show demand for full, published versions of Monstrous Sea and The Children of Hypnos. The first Children of Hypnos book is currently available to read on Wattpad, and can be found here: https://www.wattpad.com/story/9547883...

Monstrous Sea now has a short teaser also available on my Wattpad. Unfortunately for right now, it's ONLY a teaser, but it would really help me out if you read, voted, and commented on it, and it w
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I went into this book expecting greatness, honestly. A book about fandoms, anxiety, and being a child of the internet? You already know I can get behind all of that. Plus, a romance that forms through written correspondence? MY LITERAL FAVORITE TROPE? Sign me up! … Unfortunately, though, Eliza wasn’t quite everything I hoped it would be.

“I made Monstrous Sea because it's the story I wanted. I wanted a story like it, and I couldn't find one, so I created it myself.”

→ Eliza Mirk ←
Eliza herself
jessica
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i havent read a book with so much extra content since ‘illuminae.’ this totally makes me want to get into webcomics. like, how cool do they sound?! and then i need to find me a wallace so we can fangirl together. serious couple goals, right there.

i really liked the main story of this book, but my attention was completely drawn into the webcomic eliza created. there was so much beauty in the storyline and illustrations - i was so enthralled by it all. even though i would have loved more than the
Cristina Monica
Unpopular opinion this way comes...

2.5 stars. I don’t think it’s normal for a book to take one hundred read pages to finally enjoy it. I wasn’t interested in reading about the online community of Monstrous Sea lovers, because I’m not new to fandom and most of it was repetition of what we all already know.

I want to be moved by the emotional experiences. Unfortunately, this takes time with this book, because Eliza keeps everything in. She suffers from anxiety. She’s also very shy and isolates her
elena
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I read this in one sitting and if that doesn't say something then I don't know what does. This really was one of the most relatable and entertaining books I've ever read. There was not one moment I was bored through reading it and as it was ending, I was hoping there was more but all I got was a final art piece in the end. I was completely hooked since the beginning.

Eliza Mirk is the creator of the mo
mxa ☂︎
......must................
........reread............
..........can't............
............resist.........

////////////////////////////

*I used my phone to type this review so I apologize for any mistakes or if some parts don't make sense lol*

I'm not an artist but this book made me eat, sleep and live the life of two amazing characters :')
The story was just absolutely beautiful. It dealt with a combination of issues that we face within ourselves in our daily lives but in a very delicate manner. W
Sana
Eliza and Her Monsters wasn't a book I was hoping to love because I really didn't like Made You Up and thought they would be similar. But this book was just so highly praised and loved by everyone that I had to check it out. Everyone was a sobbing mess over it. So here I am, finished with it and sobbing because @all my mates, I get you all.

This book is just so hopeful, relatable and heart wrenching that I'm still thinking about it!!!! Honestly??? I didn't know what emotions and feelings were un
Lala BooksandLala
Adorable. Intense. Nerdy AF.
Ashley Nuckles
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 STARS!

THIS BOOK WAS SO ADORABLE AND I FEEL LIKE I FINISHED IT IN 24 HOURS AND I COULDNT STOP THINKING ABOUT IT AND I LOVED IT SO MUCH OMG
Tweebs♥️
"You found me in a constellation."

*packs my stuff*

Y’all can find me in a constellation because I'm outta here.

What is Earth??

Wow.

Who would’ve thought that picking this book up would make me forget the answer to 1+1. Who would’ve thought that picking this book up would make my skin clear. Who would’ve thought that picking this book up would make me hear colors. Who would’ve thought that picking this book up would make me question why no one gave me a "warning"

warn·ing
ˈ/wôrniNG/

- a
✨ A ✨
Why? Why did I take so long to finally pick this up?

“I found you in a constellation.”

Eliza is the creator of the popular webcomic Monstrous Sea, online she is known as LadyConstellation. Nobody knows who LadyConstellation really is and nobody knows that Eliza Mirk is LadyConstellation.

The real world isn't as interesting to Eliza as the online one is. She doesn't know how everyone else IRL makes it seem so easy. She's shy, has social anxiety, is an introvert and finds making conversation wi
April
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't related more to a character since Cath in Fangirl.
may ❀
So, what is it that makes Eliza and her Monsters such an incredible book? Besides the fact that it was written by the Queen, herself ?? there are a lot of reasons. . .

- #1: The Characters
- Not only is there lots of diversity
- BUT THE CHARACTERS ARE NERDS
- We have Eliza herself as a comic artist
- A guy who writes fanfiction
- INTERNET FRIENDS
- Annoying as hell little brothers
- The introvert life
- A reasonably dysfunctional yet caring family
- The fandom life literally consumes their regular life
emi
500000/5 stars

He had found her in a constellation.

Hey warning. There’s spoilers. I forgot to mark them. Also I kinda get lost in thought with this review a bit so I kinda get off track but whatever. Thanks for reading and have a good day. Heart emoji and all that.

Do you know what? Let’s just get personal here why don’t we?

I was just shy of 19 years old when I read Eliza for the first time. I just finished my first year of college, where I had made a grand total of zero friends so far. I
Heather
4.75/5

LOVED THIS BOOK!

• Radio Silence
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Geekerella (Once Upon a Con, #1)
  • The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue (Montague Siblings, #1)
  • Sadie
  • Truly Devious (Truly Devious, #1)
  • Autoboyography
  • Fangirl
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)
  • Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, #1)
  • The Upside of Unrequited (Simonverse, #2)
  • They Both Die at the End
  • The Vanishing Stair (Truly Devious, #2)
  • Carry On (Simon Snow, #1)
  • The Hand on the Wall (Truly Devious, #3)
Writer of MADE YOU UP and ELIZA AND HER MONSTERS. Represented by Louise Fury of the Bent Agency.

Also wrote The Children of Hypnos serial on Wattpad (https://www.wattpad.com/story/9547883...).

Social Media: @ChessieZappia

You can find links to all my social media on my website, www.francescazappia.com.

Articles featuring this book

The young adult genre continues to lead literature in embracing new voices, championing all types of diversity, and, well, just really...
“You found me in a constellation.” 344 likes
“Broken people don't hide from their monsters. Broken people let themselves be eaten.” 322 likes