Start by marking “Dark & Stormy” as Want to Read:
Dark & Stormy

Dark & Stormy

Published May 17th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Dark & Stormy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark & Stormy

Start your review of Dark & Stormy
Kat
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What starts as a luring romance, turns into a gripping thriller. Great small town setting with an awesome cast of characters. J Mercer masterfully takes you on a journey full of twists and reveals that are woven so skillfully into the story you'll want to read it again and again. Highly recommend!
Coco.V
Apr 12, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (4/12/2019)! 🎁

Blurb:
Faryn Miller wants to build a new life in a small town. It's her last chance to figure out, of all the roles she's played in her thirty-some years, which one truly fits. Her aim at simplicity sounds like the perfect medicine until she meets Kai Allen, who’s spent his life doing everything the hard way and never bending for anyone. Lucky for Kai, Faryn has no preconceived notions about what he’s done and who he is, unlike the rest of town.

When cryptic m
Lynda Dickson
Dec 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Ages 17+
Shelves: adult
Faryn moves to a small town for a fresh start and meets a number of local characters in her new bartending job. She's not looking for romance, but she can't help her attraction to Kai. Kai has a troubled past, but he's trying to reform, and he thinks Faryn is just the one to help him. When Faryn notices strange things happening in her apartment, the locals blame it on the ghost of the previous tenant. But could it be that someone has it out for her? What is Faryn running from, anyway? Has someon ...more
Claire
This review originally appeared on BrizzleLass Books.

J. Mercer has been incredibly clever with this book, writing a description which gives you enough information to reel you in without actually telling you anything! I went in knowing it was a romantic suspense and I really wanted to read it!

Faryn moves to a small town, it’s clear she’s running from something but we have no idea what, she’s a beautiful kind hearted woman who everyone loves instantly. She finds an apartment, and a job and settles
Barb P
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Breadcrumbs of what is to come yet it is still a surprise and filled with suspense.
Grace Augustine
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
From the first word to the last, you are on the edge of your seat. Complex characters give way to a brilliantly written story of two troubled people who find solace in each others' arms. You will laugh, cry, cheer, and be mystified at the twists in this plot line. I highly recommend this read. Incredible writing from a first time author.
Diana
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book had me hanging on page by page. With thought provoking character development and surprises at every turn. I highly recommend this fantastic read! I can't wait to pick it up and savor it all over again.
Judy Munoz
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received a review copy of this book from the author through Voracious Readers. This book blew me away! It is well written, fast paced and has numerous twists and turns. Add to that a steamy, sensual romance and you have an entertaining and gripping story. The twists and turns kept you guessing and the romance makes you swoon. All of the characters were well developed and believable and the author definitely captured the small town feel. I fell in love with both of the main characters, Kai and ...more
Gina
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this book down! When I reached the last page, I sat, breathless, stunned. J.Mercer's voice sucks the reader into a charming world that seems promising for two broken people, until their dark and stormy pasts come back to consume them.
Faryn moves to a small town to start over, and while working as a bartender, meets local badboy, Kai. The two fall for each other, but Kai has a past of his own he wants to overcome. When a stranger continually breaks into Faryn's apartment and threat
H.B. Jasick
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can’t wait to read this book again! I was captivated from the very beginning. This story is romantic, then its thrilling. It has so many twists and turns and layers that I guarantee that when I read it again, I will find something new that I missed before. This story was fantastic to the extreme! I want more, and I wish I could go back in time just so that I can read it all brand new again!! Read this book, and read it multiple times!

Reviewed by #TheUnratedBookshelf & Sweet Spot Sisterhood
Vickie
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what an intense story. I really liked it and was so surprised at the turn of events throughout the book.
The characters were all very well-developed. I got a good feel for each of them. My emotions were all over the place as I read this story. I must say my heart broke for Kai and for Faryn. The story really touched me.
The setting was well portrayed and it was easy to picture myself in a small place where everyone know everything about everyone else.
I would highly recommend this story to oth
Bonnie
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So good I read it twice! Feels like I know these down-home characters and lost myself in their real- life struggles and the relationship that was finally setting them free from the trap of the past. Engaging, provoking, and downright surprising! I couldn't wait to turn the next page...
Sara Braun
Jul 02, 2017 rated it liked it
I would rate this book a 3.5, definitely better than just 3 stars. It was a fast-paced read and very easy to get into. It was not a book that stayed with me long after I read it but I very much enjoyed the mystery that unfolded!
Mairead
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful mystery wrapped up in intriguing characters. It keeps you guessing right to the end.
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
Dark & Stormy is the debut novel by J. Mercer, and we travel with Faryn as she leaves her old life behind, and goes to the middle of nowhere, USA, for some peace and quiet. The reasons for this aren't clear, although you do find out as the book progresses. She gets herself a job, a place to live, and everything seems to be going A-Okay. Then she meets local bad boy, Kai, who does a complete 180 and becomes 'respectable', much to the disgust of his long term best friend, Andy, and ex-girlfriend, ...more
Tina
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Our story starts out simple enough, a new girl in town meets cute hometown guy and he falls head over heels instantly. The amount of discussion regarding their lust, but respectful lust, was a bit excessive for my tastes. I understand new relationships are exciting and full of positive emotions, I just feel like it was a bit of instalove and an extraordinary amount of discussion about the feel of each others skin and trying to control their lust for each other.

The story moves forward eventually
bookslovegina
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I don’t even know how to really put into words how I feel about this book. I know for me after finishing it there was anger. The ending wasn’t what I was expecting and it left me feeling a bit raw inside.

There wasn’t enough character development or enough story provided about the characters to make me fall in love with them. Faryn and Kai were two people who fell in love blindly. Neither of them knew enough about the other but let their natural chemistry put them into a serious relationship.

They
Jo
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is a real chameleon of a story.  Starting out as romance, and morphing into a thriller, it is a tale which improved as it went on.

There is an underlying darkness throughout the narrative which keeps the reader on edge and the threat, which starts as a reasonably low level one, gradually ramps up to the shocking conclusion.

A gripping read.

I voluntarily reviewed a reviewer copy of this book.
Courtney
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dark & Stormy pulled me with the characters that we feel like we have all seen living around us. It quickly moved from "known territory" into twists and turns that kept me rushing through wanting to know what was next. You find yourself feeling the emotions right along with the characters all the way to the final page and then you find yourself thinking about them and the story that was just told long after you close the book at the end. A great read! ...more
Margot Frye
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as a complimentary copy from Voracious Readers Only. J. Mercer has done a great job writing such a shocking and twisty story. I enjoyed the characters and the situations presented in the book. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is willing to read and discover with twists and turns along the way.
Valerie Biel
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I was completely impressed with the level of writing overall— but in particular I loved the complex characters and amazing twists. Frankly, the ending was stunning. Well done!
Shauna
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a good story. Definitely kept me on my toes. Not at all what I expected
Jeune
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow, this book took me on an emotional ride.Good story, it kept me from beginning to end.
Gina
Melissa Juvinall
Sep 15, 2018

• The Devil's Woods
  • Escape
  • All Fall Down (Embassy Row, #1)
  • The Witness
  • Rosemary & Antonio
  • See How They Run (Embassy Row, #2)
  • L.A. Ice
  • Take the Key and Lock Her Up (Embassy Row, #3)
  • Beyond the Savanna
  • KAT
  • Caterpillar Summer
  • Strongheart: Wonder Dog of the Silver Screen
  • Dragons in a Bag (Dragons in a Bag #1)
  • Bernice Buttman, Model Citizen
  • Operation Frog Effect
  • The Secret Lake
  • Beatrice Zinker, Upside Down Thinker
  • The Unicorn in the Barn
J. Mercer grew up in Wisconsin where she walked home from school with her head in a book, filled notebooks with stories in junior high, then went to college for accounting and psychology. She wishes she were an expert linguist, is pretty much a professional with regards to competitive dance hair (bunhawk, anyone?), and enjoys exploring with her husband—though as much as she loves to travel, she’s ...more

News & Interviews