Start by marking “Death Mage (Prof Croft, #4)” as Want to Read:
Death Mage (Prof Croft, #4)

Death Mage

(Prof Croft #4)

Playing fast and loose with the Order’s rules has finally caught up with me.

Sentenced to hunt down a cagey insurgent known as the Death Mage, I’m not feeling overly optimistic. Wizards with far more experience have tried and, well … died.

But overmatched or not, I want this assignment. The Death Mage killed my mother—he might also be my father.

I can’t lose my head, th
Published May 17th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Death Mage, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Shannan From my understanding, he had already lost it by the time they made the sword for him.

Start your review of Death Mage (Prof Croft, #4)
Gergana
Is Prof Croft worth checking out?

Negatives: I'll be honest, the series don't stand out much. The world is ok, the protagonist is ok, everything is ok and that's pretty much it. If you want to read something similar I suppose to the Harry Dresden series, only without Harry, then Prof Croft is what you need. The books didn't leave a lasting impression on me and I am not in a hurry to get the fifth one.

Positives: Nevertheless, there is some great potential here. The author is a great storyt
Ursula Johnson
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: brad-magnarella
Professor Croft's Greatest Challenge and True Legacy

Wow, what an ending to Professor Croft's story arc. I normally read this series while listening to the audiobooks, but the audio book for this particular book won't be out for a few months. I had also read all the other books except Purge City, so there are major spoilers in this book. If you have read the earlier novels, Brad takes bits of what seemed like trivial information and tied them all together in a thrilling, dangerous, heartbreaking
Donna
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I believe the stories are getting better as the series progresses. Croft's life is getting much more complex as truths he has believed all his life are exposed as perhaps not as valid as he thought. His mother's murderer is called into question as is the Order who oversees his magical exploits. (BTW, it becomes clear why the Order didn't discipline him when he used magic against their edict in an earlier volume)

He discovers a secret that his grandfather had imparted to him. (I think I must be co
Donraj
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Prof Croft series has been pretty firmly 2nd tier urban fantasy at best from the beginning. The first book was okay, the second book was more of the same, then starting with the third book it started building on itself in a way that was genuinely interesting. This book goes several notches past that with a premise that is not just clever but retroactively makes a lot of otherwise fairly bland stuff from the previous books brilliant in retrospect. At this point I'm eager to see where the seri ...more
Kat Lebo
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Death Mage (Prof Croft, Book #4)
by Brad Magnarella

Definitely the best in the series so far. Although Croft starts out still unable to keep a firm hold on his cane/sword/staff and amulet, this novel is probably more about his growth as a wizard and gaining confidence to fulfill his potential, that about the very dire affect of the novel's crisis. Again, we have excellent proofing and editing, great plotting and pacing, tons of very exciting action, a major change in not only Croft's worldview, bu
VenezuGerman
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My first review on here. I also want to mention that I listened to this as an audiobook (Don't Judge).
I also apologize for uppercase/lowercase mistakes, I'm on a german autocorrect.

Talking about the series I would say that it is okay, good Entertainment Nothing too heavy to Digest but Nothing boring either. This book however...is the culmination of it. In my personal opinion what the series could have been and at some Points it really f*cked with my brain and the expectations I had for this Stor
Barbara
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This Prof. Croft series has kept entranced from beginning to end. I am so glad that we are not saying goodbye to Croft as a new series develops. I hope more will be written about "The Team." I also would like to see more of Vega's and Croft's relationship developed. This last book in the series pulled all the twisted threads that have been strung out in the others in the series and made a neat braid that is twisted but tidy. Things that we believed as readers were revealed to be not true and thi ...more
GP
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Probably the strongest Professor Croft yet.

A real growth story for the world Magnarella has built and for the Everson Crofton character. The stakes are very high in this one, and it's also tied up in the mystery of Croft's family, the Order and his mentor, Chicory. Everything I'd have to say would count as a spoiler except these points. The pacing is good, the tension is real and you are really not gonna know what's what until the end. There's at least 1 moment of wtf, Crofton, why so dumb?, but
Jan
Wow! What a ride! The death mage twists Croft's perception of reality so that he has to doubt everything he's ever known. The essence of evil also invades Manhattan and the populace goes crazy with rioting without purpose. Croft is taken to unfamiliar realms and fights some of the most disgusting creatures ever encountered. Fast paced and fascinating! Had to just keep reading until finished. I will read it again when the audiobook comes out!
Em Taylor
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Updated opinion since reviewing the first in the series

While there are still similarities between this series and the Dresden Files series, as I had hoped, the characters in this series developed enough, and the stories got even better. So if you are put off at first don't be! I would say they are not as dark or as complex as the world of Butchers books, but still they are fab.
Frank Bertino
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Great Read

Professor Croft is still trying to save the world. He fights evil, protects people, and fits in a bit of romance. The chess game has many twists and turns. It is difficult to see the next moves and know what is truth. I like the action, humor, and romance. This book takes the series to the next level. A lot comes together from previous books. I look forward to the next book.
Joseph
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A solid piece of urban fantasy

The series definitely builds on a lot of the building blocks of the urban fantasy genre, but the characters are likeable (well, the heroes are, the villains are suitably unlikable ) and the story is solid. I look forward to a future where we get to read more about Prof. Croft.
George
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really like the Prof. Croft books, and I think this one is one of the best.
The writing was crisp, his relationships with the other characters made sense withing the context of the book, as well as the universe as it previously written in the earlier novels.
I first encountered Croft and Wesson in a short novel that was included in a box set called "Eight in the Chamber" (some of the books in that collection are quite good, others, not so much. So, if you get it for yourself, be warned), so I wa
Todd
Jul 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Croft finds out that someone called the Death Mage is responsible for his mother's death. He starts tracking down clues to find out who that is and where he can be found. Things are not always what they seem.
This book has more of a Cthulu type feel than film noir that the previous volumes had. Croft will have to up his game to get at the being responsible
Dick SantaCruz
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WOW

This was one of the best urban fantasy books I have read. And I read at least 2 each week. Everything you thought was good, turned out to be a lie. A true double bluff.
Creative, action packed, thought provoking and leaving you anticipating the next book.
Steven
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good!

There was a bit of a disconnect between this one and the previous one, just because of the opening. I checked a couple of times to make sure I didn't skip a book. BUT, once I got my bearings, yeehaw!
Nipa
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow

What an ending. A bit sad at the end but excellent storytelling. I couldn't put it down. Definitely looking forward to reading more about Prof Croft's adventures. Also looking forward to seeing him get properly trained so he doesn't have to rely on his luck quotient.
Jill Nojack
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read the last two books in the series over three days. Could not put the final one down. I s'pose I'm going to end up movings from this series to the next one. Curse you, entertaining writer fella! How will I ever get my work done when I can't put your books down?
Jeff
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book!

Amazing book and an amazing series and I hope that it continues! The series is getting so good and since Caroline screwed him over I'm glad to see the professor might have romance in his future! Can't wait for the next book!
Janet Swiftbird
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
The end is just a beginning

When you think all is lost you realize that the end you think is just the beginning of a new story.
What a great adventure and storyline. Terrific series.
pauline hemmings
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great book from Brad Magnarella. Plot twist, new characters and family history revealed. This book leaves you feeling like you know and understand prof Croft on a new level. I can't wait to start the next novel in the series.
Wendy
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Death Mage

I gave this a 5 star rating because as with the previous Professor Croft books I could hardly put it down,how could I possibly put it too one side as he trudged through a black mould infested world or confronted his enemy's indeed who is the enemy ?
Giriniss
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
One of the rare occasions when a book in the middle of the series turns out to be the best book, waaay better than other books in the same series. One of the best brain washing depictions and lovecraftian elements - sold.
Robert P.
Mar 10, 2020 rated it liked it
This was the best book so far, and it was the unexpected strength of this book that convinced me to keep reading the series.

It actually seemed like the 30-something man child was having moments of self reflection that he wasn't immediately brain dumping.
Alon Lankri
Jul 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this ark quite a bit, and that it slowly built up to this who is the bad guy conclusion. I dislike the relationship with Vega, finding it tiring and pretty pointless. It feels like the author felt the need to copy Dresden Files too much with a policewoman.
Fabienne Valdes
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Never fails!

LOVE the Prof Croft series! He's like a modern Indiana Jones! Looking forward to more in this universe from Brad!
Suzie
Another great continuation to the series. A good light read between fantasy series, but has enough weight of its own still.
John
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome read

The storytelling is fluent and connects the reader to the characters flawlessly. I can not get enough of Professor Croft, please bring more.
Diane Diorio
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Soooo....not what I expected

Amazing back and forth not at all what expected to happen bluffs double bluffs don’t want to ruin anything but definitely read and be surprised
Jcad6169
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love this series! It would be a great series for a teen and an adult. The stories are interesting, funny, warm and exciting.

• Druid Apprentice (Colin McCool #9)
  • Druid's Due (Colin McCool, #8)
  • Druid Mystic (Colin McCool #10)
  • Druid Vengeance (Colin McCool #7)
  • Bullets & Blades (Montague & Strong Case Files #7)
  • The Golem (Montague & Strong Case Files #10)
  • Druid Enforcer (Colin McCool #6)
  • Reaping Wind (Montague & Strong Case Files #9)
  • Silver Clouds Dirty Sky (Montague & Strong Case Files #4)
  • Hell Hath No Fury (Montague & Strong Case Files #8)
  • Dragons & Demigods (Montague & Strong Case Files #6)
  • Moonlight Druid (Colin McCool #3)
  • Full Moon Howl (Montague & Strong Case Files #2)
  • Blood is Thicker (Montague & Strong Case Files #3)
  • Homecoming (Montague & Strong Case Files #5)
  • Druid Justice (Colin McCool #5)
  • Carnage (The Temple Chronicles #14)
  • Faerie Storm (Harbinger P.I., #8)
Brad Magnarella writes urban fantasy for the same reason most read it - to explore worlds where vampires and shifters walk city streets, magic crackles from fingertips, and the faerie realm is only a wish, curse, or seductive kiss away. It's shamelessly fun.

A child of the '80s, Brad enjoyed a steady diet of comic books, D&D, epic fantasy, and Stephen King, which conditioned his young mind for the

Prof Croft (8 books)
  • Demon Moon (Prof Croft, #1)
  • Blood Deal (Prof Croft, #2)
  • Purge City (Prof Croft, #3)
  • Black Luck (Prof Croft #5)
  • Power Game (Prof Croft #6)
  • Druid Bond (Prof Croft #7)
  • Night Rune (Prof Croft #8)

News & Interviews

“I raised the hand to my head and felt the slick skin of a leech. The creature, whose weight I had mistaken for water, extended down my back, its tail ending below my waist. Its mouth was attached to the crown of my head, sucking the life from me. I” 0 likes
“wargs,” 0 likes