Start by marking “A Stash of One's Own: Knitters on Loving, Living with, and Letting Go of Yarn” as Want to Read:
A Stash of One's Own: Knitters on Loving, Living with, and Letting Go of Yarn

A Stash of One's Own: Knitters on Loving, Living with, and Letting Go of Yarn

A new, addictive-to-read collection of essays and stories celebrating yarn—specifically, the knitter’s reputation for acquiring it in large quantities and storing it away in what’s lovingly referred to as a “stash.” The pieces in this collection span from comical to earnest, lighthearted to deeply philosophical, in a celebration of the how, why, when, and what stash each k ...more
Published September 12th 2017 by Abrams Press

Aoife
Asking a knitter what he or she plans on doing with the yarn he or she just bought is like asking a squirrel what it plans on doing with that nut it just buried under a pile of leaves. Obviously we plan on using it. Now? Later? For what? How can we know? Our main priority is simply to get that yarn safely back home and stored away in our stash. We’ll know when we need it.

I read this book to have a good time and I’m honestly feeling so attacked right now…

As it is the case with anthologies you get
Barbara
Clara Parkes is my favorite writer about knitting. In this book, she edits a collection of essays from people she invited to write about the topic of the yarn they have in their stash. Stash in this context means yarn (mostly). However, in many of the essays the writers talked about mothers who knit or did other kinds of work (we don't call it crafts but that's an essay in itself) with fiber and fabric.

The essays about mothers who knit were my favorite because my mother knit. She did little of i
Sharon
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this in small installments when I had a few moments to just sit and relax. I do not knit, I crochet. The facts are the same. I have a stash. My husband built full depth, floor to ceiling, shelves for me in half of a double closet to contain my stash. I also have an entire wall of bookshelves of craft books for just about every craft out there ,with an entire bank of crochet and knitting books (others in my family knit). My stash is mostly hands off without asking for others, although the ...more
Toni
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great compilation of wonderful stories by knitters of all ages and backgrounds. Very enjoyable, and I haven't knitted in years! (I want to though.) 😉

Thanks to my Goodreads friend Barbara (Lit.Prof.from Maryland) who made me aware of this delightful book.
penny shima glanz
Within this collection, Parkes and 22 essayists help us to examine our own personal meaning for that often loaded word, Stash. In addition, beyond our own definitions, we can think about how we and our stash (or lack thereof) fit as part of the global fiber community. What are the stories we hear in our stash? Do we whisper its secrets? Where is its place in our homes and in our lives?

I believe strongly in the power of books to come along when we most need them. This essay anthology appeared in
Corrie
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm so skeptical of "writing about knitting" books because the few times I've tried knitting essay anthologies, the writing has been unbearably bad. This is the opposite!
Each essayist writes in a unique voice that is funny, honest, and/or raw, and the large majority of the essays have great pacing. Who knew so many people in the knitting world also had writing chops? Oh, yea, they're creative types.
I especially loved Debbie Stoller's eponymous entry and all the various jabs at KonMari. Props t
Charlene Dean
Dec 30, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Don't know why I bothered reading this. It was full of uninspired pieces about stashing (or not) yarn. I have a yarn stash so thought I could find, at least, some of these stories relevant, humorous, or even enlightening. They were not. In fact, one piece about feminism and stashing yarn seemed very condescending and slightly offensive. My stash is my business and I don't care what anyone thinks, but I certainly don't see it as a weapon for equality.
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this collection. 4.5 stars. Eminently readable for a lover of yarn, the essays run the gamut from humorous to serious, the collections described from minimalist to SABLE-level, and the stashes from yarn to fiber to fabric.

Some of my favorites essays: I loved the beautiful and generous spirit behind Jillian' Moreno's fiber stash, and how easily it flows into her own creativity and to others. I appreciated Eugene Wyatt's tale of giving yarn away - it was a good reminder of how muc
Annie
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
If one thing is pretty much universal about knitting nerds it's 'The Stash'. We joke about it, sometimes feel guilty about it, sometimes revel in it... in short, most of us can't pass up a sale, charity resale shop, going out of business sale (*sigh*), or any other place which has the potential for stash enrichment without at least having a look. There are, apparently, knitters who have one project going at a time and who buy supplies for that project and only that project, knit on it until it's ...more
Barbara VA
An anthology about stashes of yarn and so much more. I freely admit that I do have stashes - books, yarn, fabric, cds, movies, cans of tomatoes, spices (especially paprika). We have a decent sized home, I have room. My daughter has moved to her own home but we do have custody of her books and t-shirts, dolls and unicorns for the day her daughter is ready for them, our son collects books and drums. My husband also collects books (do you sense a theme!?!), tools, chairs (we once counted that we co ...more
keres
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed all of the essays in this book - from the sad to the humorous. My top favorites
from this bevy of essays: "Triptych" by the always entertaining Stephanie Pearl-McPhee; "Spinning Stash" by Jillian Moreno; the final essay, "A Stash of One's Own: Yarn as a Feminist Issue," by Debbie Stoller.
Karen
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Every contributor has the love of yarn and knitting in common with me. I found myself in agreement with so many of the statements in the book and enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts on what a "stash" is and if/how it should be controlled.
Cmfremin
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book with moving stories..
CatBookMom
I pre-ordered this, so the Kindle edition hit early on release day. I'm reading one essay at a time. I always enjoy Clara's books.

Full review later.
Marilyn Gardner
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating set of essays on yarn storage ....giving and getting. I'm now totally committed to my stash.
Elaine Cook
Dec 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
Ordered without even thinking twice. It is a collection of essays, so only one written by CP. Most I enjoyed, some were a surprize, but it's not as good as Knitlandia.
Joan
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of chapters from designers, knitters, writers and a shepherd, among others who describe their stashs of yarn. The characterization of a stash as a collection of yarn resonated with me and reminded me that I need to pull it out and visit, even if a project doesn't suggest itself.
Shari Blakey
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read all of Clara Parkes' books and they have all been great, but I probably enjoyed this one the most since I am a knitter and do have a stash that is way too deep! These essays are well written mostly by people well known in the knitting world-some humorous; others more serious, but all were very interesting to me.
Jenn
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knitting, 2017
I really wanted to like this more, essay collections are always a mixed bag for me. Some resonated, some didn't, but I think ultimately I'm no longer in a place where I'm interested in people's lofty thoughts about yarn stashes. I'm sure I would have enjoyed this more if I had read it about a year and a half ago.
Malia
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really lovely collection of essays, probably the best knitting writing I've come across. What I loved is thinking about my own yarn stash, and how my feelings about it flow into various viewpoints expressed in the essays. It's amazing how something can be inspirational and stressful and invigorating and overwhelming and comforting all at the same time. I also loved the concept of stashing as a jumping off point for other kinds of explorations, like Franklin Habit's heartbreaking essay ...more
Marie
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of good meaty essays here. A non-knitting friend picked it up, read a couple of the essays, and then told me he now understands better how the “stashing” mentality works. So yay!
Bunny
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knitting, read-in-18
[My stash is] memento, remembrance, and souvenir. An expression of not just what I want to make but also who I am, who I love, where I've been, and who loves me. And I'll keep as much of it as I want to, even if it's rainbow sparkle.

This is an intensely gratifying read for any and all knitters, or yarn artists. Not because it justifies our ever-expanding yarn stash, but because it justifies our ever-expanding yarn stash and welcomes us into the yarn loving family. Whether you stash yarn, or buy
Merry
Nov 15, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, nonfic
A book about different yarn stashes and not a single picture? Odd. I've been on ravelry for a few years, and only recognized a few names; it would have been nice for a small introduction of each essayist, because otherwise, it's just a bunch of faceless names blebbling about something yarn-adjacent. The essays also varied in subject, like the authors got too vague of a memo. The essay about Dheberia Rabari women took a heartbreaking turn, yet gave no info on maybe helping out those women? So tha ...more
Annie
This is an ARC that a friend brought back from Book Expo, in paperback. It's a collection of short essays by knitters, designers, and others who work with fiber, centered around "the stash." It's fun to read the thoughts from folks known in the "fiber world." Not earth-shattering, it is a comfortable book -- which is perfect for a book about yarn.

12-7-18 -- thank you, Clara Parkes, for bringing together this wonderful variety of voices. Clearly, "stash" is more than a big pile of yarn.
Jackie
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
As is often the case with an anthology, the essays in this book were a bit of a mixed bag -- many were quite predictable (though still enjoyable), and a couple really missed the mark for me, but I found more than a few quite touching indeed. For that reason, of course, particular essays are likely to appeal, or not, to particular readers; my personal favorites were those written by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee and Franklin Habit.

Many knitters feel some amount of guilt about their stash (whether in who
Colleen O'Neill Conlan
If you're a knitter, you already know what a stash is. It's that bag or bin of yarn (or multiples thereof) you have cached away for future knitting endeavors. And if you're a knitter, you are likely already familiar with, and a fan of, Clara Parkes, editor of this collection. I have purchased and read all her books (except for the elusive and out-of-print Knitter's Book of Wool – please reprint!) and am an avid follower of all things Clara.

This being an anthology, it's not all Clara. She introdu
Carol
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once I started reading this book, I was really hooked. I read every chance I could. I am rotational hobbist! I start on one hobby like working large jigsaw puzzles and when I tire of that I switch to another hobby and another! Knitting will be coming up for me. I used to have a stash before I moved and parted with it with regret. Then I started winning books in contests and began a book stash which I am now working my way through.

Each story in this anthology is written by a different person is
Candace
Some of the essays were funny, some made me think, some were just so-so (I don’t care how many Ravelry members have stashes above #?, etc.). Definitely something I think knitters would enjoy perusing at their own pace.

Knitting has become more than just a craft I learned how to do so I could make my first grandchild a respectable baby blanket. It is something I look forward to each day ; maybe because it’s meditative, relaxing. Maybe because I know when I’m done I will have made something with m
Cat
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a knitter or crocher (did I even spell that right?) But I love yarns! I have a small stash for using in various crafts: weaving, mobiles, scrapbooking...etc... So I feel ok reading this book and can relate to many of the stories! I collect paper, rubber stampers and markers....etc.... I understand these writers and their yard stashes! I loved the one writer who referred to yarns she never used as yarn pets! Love it! I can't bear to use some skeins I have as the project worthy of them has ...more
Sue
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could really relate to these stories. I have a stash and most of the yarn was bought with no special project in mind but just because I loved it. I delve into it from time to time and still enjoy adding to it 'tho! I particularly related to two of the stories (although they all resonated in lots of ways).

Rachael Herron's "The Comfort Yarn" gave me understanding as to why I knitted through the week that my large extended family and I sat in the hospital with my mum for her last days, "without
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Knit to Flatter: The Only Instructions You'll Ever Need to Knit Sweaters That Make You Look Good and Feel Great!
  • All Wound Up: The Yarn Harlot Writes for a Spin
  • Adventures in Yarn Farming: Four Seasons on a New England Fiber Farm
  • The Opinionated Knitter
  • The Principles of Knitting: Methods and Techniques of Hand Knitting
  • Mason-Dixon Knitting Outside the Lines: Patterns, Stories, Pictures, True Confessions, Tricky Bits, Whole New Worlds, and Familiar Ones, Too
  • Sweater Quest: My Year of Knitting Dangerously
  • Knitting Pearls: Writers Writing About Knitting
  • The Knowledgeable Knitter: From Planning Your Project to Fitting and Finishing, All You Need to Know to Unlock Your Knitting Potential
  • Sensational Knitted Socks
  • A Life in Stitches: Knitting My Way through Love, Loss, and Laughter
  • Sock Knitting Master Class: Innovative Techniques + Patterns from Top Designers
  • You Can Knit That: Foolproof Instructions for Fabulous Sweaters
  • Yarnitecture: A Knitter's Guide to Spinning: Building Exactly the Yarn You Want
  • Sock Architecture
  • Slow Knitting
  • Hand Dyeing Yarn and Fleece: Dip-Dyeing, Hand-Painting, Tie-Dyeing, and Other Creative Techniques
  • Norah Gaughan's Knitted Cable Sourcebook: A Breakthrough Guide to Knitting with Cables and Designing Your Own
CLARA PARKES left her career in the booming high-tech industry to pursue her love of knitting. She lives on the coast of Maine in a farmhouse full of yarn. She is the publisher of KnittersReview.com and a contributor to Interweave Knits."
“Asking a knitter what he or she plans on doing with the yarn he or she just bought is like asking a squirrel what it plans on doing with that nut it just buried under a pile of leaves.” 1 likes
“Hand-dyers are never in competition with each other. Rather, we push each other to expand our worlds.” 1 likes