Start by marking “Dongeng” as Want to Read:
Dongeng

Dongeng

Exiled. Powerless. The world he grew up in is changing—he feels it, feels the devastation being wrought. But what can he do so far away from home?

Lost. Afraid. She’s being enlisted to help save Alam Dongeng—a magical world she knows little about. How can she tell stories she doesn’t even know?

Worried. Confused. He’s long forgotten his grandfather’s stories—it’s familiar, b
ebook
Published May 31st 2017 by Anna Tan

To ask other readers questions about Dongeng, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dongeng

Start your review of Dongeng
Angeli Reads
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: lost-interest
I received an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Gave this 3.5 stars.

I like the rich folklore bursting in this book. The plot is very unique and it is a different kind of fantasy from the usual ones I read. There is a slight romance seen here and I think it's really appropriate not to focus more on the romance but more on the storyline.

There were times when I was confused because of the backstory happening here. But I was very pleased with the unexpected plot twist near the end. I was a bit
EL
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the story.
Some parts were confusing, but by the end I could piece things together. I feel like the wrong characters were center stage to what could have been a stronger story about Abdul Mansoor and Aria.

I am a fan of blending cultures. After all, we share a beautiful world. Different families come together and create new families, blending together what was, what Is, and what will be.

I definitely would love to learn more about Maylasia, and her stories.

Thank you, Anna Tan.
Susan Lee
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Definitely enjoyed this east meet west tale! A little slow at the start but picked up pace when the dark side appeared! I've enjoyed how the story was weaved with the folklore's but still felt relevant.

You can read my full review here:
Daphne Lee
Aug 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Carol Chu
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

I was given a copy of an arc ebook by the author via Story Cartel in exchange for an honest review.

Firstly, let me state that I took several sittings in reading this book. Namely because I thought this book is in the horror genre but I'm lucky I thought wrong or I'd abandon it halfway. So because this book is more FANTASY and ADVENTURE I enjoyed myself immensely, except for some of the supposed horror parts which after that I laughed at myself when it didn't quite scare m
C.S. Wachter
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though at times confusing, Dongeng has moments of expressive language and an otherworldly charm to it even when Sara is in the “real” world, which pulled me into the story. Coming from a background where I know nothing of Malaysian folklore, Dongeng peaked my interest and I began looking the characters up on the internet, wanting to learn more.
Two kingdoms exist in the same fantasy world where Sara wakes up at the beginning of the book: the folklore of Alam Dongeng, and historic Western Fairy T
Ciana
Jun 19, 2017 added it
I love how Anna creates the backstory to create a suspense in the reader's mind and their curiosity to know what happens next. Although the story focuses on the protagonist, Sara, there are surprises that involves her manager's grandfather and his involvement in the confusion that she faces. There is a budding romance between Sara and her manager - all in the midst of searching for the reasons behind her sudden disappearance and safe return. It is not until towards the ending that the truth is r ...more
Linda
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
loved the way the fairy tales twist and turn from East to west
Evelyn
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Originally, I bought the ebook for this story book. But I found the hard copy of the book in Penang, Malaysia. So, I bought the hard copy and finished reading in five days.

The story was interestingly written with a simple plot to understand. No twist and turn story. What I didnt like was a chinese girl involved with a malay guy. Ha ha.

Anna, keep it up! Bring more of these stories coming!
Celine Wu
May 31, 2018
vivien khoo
Jan 24, 2018
Anna Tan
May 19, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: malaysiana, my-books
is currently reading it
Aug 04, 2017
Nancy Foster
Nov 04, 2017
Anna Tan grew up in Malaysia, the country that is not Singapore. In 2015, she traded in a life of annoying other bean counters for one of annoying the online world with questions about life and death and everything in between. The answer is sometimes 42. Sometimes they try to eat you.

When she is not writing or nitpicking over other writers' copy, she can be found reading a book or attempting to or

News & Interviews