Start by marking “The Things We Don't Know (A Shared Human Future #1)” as Want to Read:
The Things We Don't Know (A Shared Human Future #1)

The Things We Don't Know

(A Shared Human Future #1)

6000 years. Six Civilizations. One ultimate goal.

From a letter, we wrote a word, then came sentences, books, epics. We asked questions that propelled the formulation of the sciences, the arts, our culture, and our philosophies. All that we know and love today was built by one daring life at a time over six thousand years.

Part historic, part scientif
Paperback, 2017, 177 pages
Published July 31st 2017 by Tarun Betala

To ask other readers questions about The Things We Don't Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Things We Don't Know

Start your review of The Things We Don't Know (A Shared Human Future #1)
Kaushal Gupta
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We are a part of a universe, as we call it, wherein there are innumerable thoughts in our mind, questions that run through to seek answers, beliefs that are nothing more than a perspective and above of them is the fear, or whatever adjective you would like to choose, of the unknown.

It is a less of a book and more of an essay that you would like to just read through and through since it is devoid of any twist or turns like a fiction or semi-fiction book. If you had the questions simil
Nayan Patel
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book by the author for an honest review.
Firstly let me put it out there that it's been a really long time that I have read a non-fiction book even though theological/historical topics deeply interest me. Being decently well versed with the religious texts of some of the major religions of the world, I definitely wanted to read another person's take on the same. I think that this is where I erred since I should have really gone into this book with a comp
Michael
For me it did not live up to the expectations I built up when I first heard about the book. It was worth the small amount of time devoted to the reading.
Andreea Daniela
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“The Things We Don’t Know” by Tarun Betala starts with a rather interesting premise of answering the most daring questions that ventured in the human mind. With the promise to explain, and even try to answer some of the most notorious questions of mankind (Who are we? What is the purpose of life? Who is God? What is our universe? ), the book embarks you on a journey to the past in order to explain the present. It explores history, religion, philosophy and exposes theories about the development o ...more
Alex Reneski
I commend the author for his attempt "to answer some of life's most pressing questions, but I find the answers both shallow and misleading, akin to a bull session in a college dorm. For example, several times he refers to Christianity as a "sect" of Judaism. He dates everything with BCE and CE, without referring to the "Common Event" from which the modern world dates our history.
He devotes a whole chapter on the contributions of India to world knowledge and philosophy, and sort of skips over th
Celine DePoitiers
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
First thing I have to tell you is that it had been ages since I had read a non-fictional book that wasn’t a poetry book, so I was a little afraid to dig into it.
I expected it to be slow paced, or a little boring, but this book has completely surprised me in a very positive way.

Tarun faces some of the biggest questions in life with the delicate touch of a master narrator. He never pushes the reader too far. He makes the reader think, which is the final purpose of books.
Pag
Hasso von Moltke
A nice introduction to some basic concepts

This book is a nice little introduction to some basic concepts like religion, science, and our acquisition of knowledge. It's got nice little refresher about the Library of Alexandria, the Qin Empire, and various eastern religions.

That said, the book is pretty eclectic. While it follows a general chronological order the different chapters are only vaguely tied together with fairly generic themes like "truth" and "knowledge." When the author
Abode
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book like a child who has lost his past and trying to trace it from history which seemed to have been destroyed at some point along its course. Conflicting theories and beliefs all pointing to how I came into existence, all claiming to be the truth while I’m just at peace with my choice hoping someday, it doesn’t end up being false.

The book “The Things We Don’t Know”, is about history, philosophy and religion and how our opposing beliefs might tend to rob us of a beautifu
Ritika Mona
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Got an advance copy of this book and couldn't stop reading it. The fluidity meant I readit in one sitting! In talking about how we’ve burned books because of our beliefs, the author actually does a pretty good job of covering our world history as well. So a reference to Chinese History, Roman and Christian history pretty much makes up about half the book.

if you're looking for a very exhaustive and indepth book, this probably isnt the book you want, but if you're looking at a general history and
Marina G
I found a lot of interesting information in the "Things We Don't Know", about lost civilizations, religions, facts. It is journey through time and space, from Alexandria to ancient China, from Buddhism to Christianity, from myths to truths. Althought there were several mentions of the greek philosophers, I expected to read more about the ancient Greece. Overall, I believe it was a good effort in giving a general view of "the things we don't (but should) know".
Linda
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Understanding the infinite with a finite brain

This is a fascinating read of man's growing knowledge of the planet and himself since the beginning of human thought. Man attempts to explain his world with ideas of his time. Both collected historical data and value ideas of man's purpose as a life form give the reader much to ponder.
Wander Girl Life
Christopher M. Martinez
May 01, 2018
Nikita Dhanani
Teddy Cha
Dec 27, 2018
Clipinchick
Apr 16, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I this book for free from the author/publisher in response for an honest review of the book. I have not had the opportunity to read this book at this time. I will add my
review of this book once I have read the book. Thank k you for allowing me the optometrist review your work. I look forward to reading this book.
Stephanie Duffrin
Nov 17, 2017
Rikki Porwal
Jul 29, 2017
Linda Tilling
rated it did not like it
May 05, 2018
Jun 05, 2018
Nan
Nov 13, 2017
Bloggers/Book Lov...: New Book + Free Giveaway! 1 17 Aug 08, 2017 02:24AM
Tarun Betala is the author of The Things We Don't Know. Since 2005, Tarun has published several poems, essays and short stories.

Over the last three decades, Tarun has lived in 4 countries across the world and his passion to explore the world has brought him to to more than twenty countries.

Currently working in the Financial Data world, Tarun lives in Singapore with his wife
“We believe because it gives us faith. It gives us the willingness to go through our day, to keep the existentialist threat of meaninglessness away. We believe because we crave to be seen, to be known, to be understood. We believe because that is the only thing we can do. If there is no one to judge us - to tell us that we are good, and that if we are bad, we can be redeemed - why bother living at all? Why bother being good at all? If there is no one to look after us, and we are truly alone in this universe, what purpose do we have? We have nothing but the present moment, and only temporariness.” 0 likes
“We, of all the beings that we know of, can think. We can eat, write, build, save. We can predict, estimate, and count. We can preserve food for lifetimes, and in times of crisis, we can find ways to ensure our survival. With each passing generation, our sphere of control of our existence is larger. What if the earth is hit by an asteroid or there is no way to stop global warming? We look to colonize other planets. The fate of our species, in a few years, will not be tied to the fate of the earth. Our home planet must be cared for ... but as we go interplanetary and then interstellar, our control on our lives and the evolution of our species grows. As far as we know, we are the only species that has a say in the development of its future.” 0 likes