Start by marking “Have You Seen My Cat?” as Want to Read:
Have You Seen My Cat?

Have You Seen My Cat?

A little boy's cat is missing, and he embarks on a fantastic round-the-world quest to find his lost pet. Along the way, he meets lots of interesting people and sees many beautiful members of the cat family, including lions and tigers and panthers. But over and over again he has to say "This is not my cat!" until at last he finds the cat he's looking for -- who has a deligh ...more
Published September 1st 1997 by Aladdin (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Have You Seen My Cat?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Have You Seen My Cat?

Start your review of Have You Seen My Cat?
Hilary
I do get tired of these sort of books, that is not my..... or are you my..... but I expect this was around when this theme was not so overdone. A boy is looking for his cat and passes many cats of the world before he finds his own. It would have been nicer to see a lion in the wild rather than the zoo and at the end the cat has a litter of kittens.
Shawn Deal
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
A young boy's cat is missing and he is asking several different people across the world if they have seen his cat. This book shows how many different kinds of cats there are around the world.
Melanie
Feb 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love adding voices and sounds for each cat:) I also have the kids help me ask.
Isabel Smith
Very few people can take a book that basically only has two lines and make it a success. Eric Carle has managed to do this with Have You Seen My Cat?, which features a call and response format throughout the entire book: "Have you seen my cat? This is not my cat." This particular version of the beloved picture is awesome because it has the slide out page feature that not only shortens the book (which is definitely more appropriate for a board book) but also makes it more fun for the reader to ...more
DJ
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a fan of Eric Carle's art. I have a few of his books, so I'm slightly biased.

This book is about a boy trying to find his cat, and people from different parts of the world would show him a feline that is native to the country to see if that's his cat. Example: India would be Tiger, Africa would be Lion. etc.

Henry really liked this as he love anything animals, and we have a book called Animal Tales with 30 different animal sounds (another book I recommend, 4 stars), and some of the cat pictur
Jenny Franklin
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
I got "Have You Seen My Cat?" by Eric Carle for my 2 1/2 year old. She loves it, There is a little boy who looks everywhere for his lost cat. There is repetition which she loves,it is very very simple. It was good just as is for a week or so, then we started to add a lot of things to the story because my daughter kept asking "why isn't it his cat" and "what cat is it" and things like that. we read it like this :"This is not my cat it is a ____ cat because it _____" and she loves it, she now is a ...more
Mariana
Sep 26, 2007 rated it did not like it
You have got to be kidding me. In terms of repetition, it's good for very small children and the illustrations are beautiful. But there really isn't any substance in it at all. The fact that the target audience is young, does not mean that you can throw basic story elements out of the picture.

Well... I guess it's the illustrations that really move this story along. So if you have a child that can't read yet, it's wonderful.
Julie
Sep 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
We all ove Eric Carle! This is a must have classroom addition. In this book a little boy is looking for his lost cat. He goes around the world, through different countries, meeting all kinds of people in various cultures. He also meets many types of cats, but they are not his. The illustrations are amazing, children can learn about the types of cats around the world, culture, and communities. Great book!
Clacie
Aug 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
My son picked this one from the library because he recognized the art as being similar to The Very Hungry Caterpillar. I'd say that's pretty observant for a 4 year old. He was excited to read it, so we did. "Let's put this in the bad pile." he said.
ABC
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: younger-kids
Very simple text, but I love the illustrations.
Sarah Sammis
Dec 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pc, read-in-2004
Can't count how many times I've read it with my kids.
Ashton Miller
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Title: Have You Seen My Cat?

Author: Eric Carle

Illustrator: Eric Carle

Genre: Predictable Book

Theme: Animals, predictability

Opening Line/Sentence: Have you seen my cat?

Brief Book Summary: A little boy lost his cat and is asking people all around the world if they have seen his cat. Each time they point to a type of cat, it ends up not being his cat. At the end of the story, he finally finds his cat and her kittens.

Professional Recommendation/Review #1:
Moir
Candy | Evianrei
Jan 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Bought this book because my husband is a big fan of The Very Hungry Caterpillar and I thought my 2 month old son who enjoyed that book would enjoy more Eric Carle books! I'm biased as a cat lover so I had to get this one.

The visuals are awesome, my son loves them, and the sliding panels are super neat and interested him. I do worry though that over time this mechanism in the book will wear down.

Rated lower only because the story is incredibly repetitive (I know it is only a children's book) bu
Lee Ann
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2016
Okay, look, I know this is a book for kids who can barely even read yet. But it had me at "Eric Carle" + "cat."

It opens with a dedication "to all the cats in my life," for Pete's sake -- of COURSE I'm going to love this book.

It's a simple story of a boy looking for his missing cat. He goes around the world asking diverse people from different ethnic backgrounds and cultures if they've seen his cat. They point him to a wide variety of cats -- including bobcats and lions! -- but none of them have
Joan
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A little boy sets out on a round-the-world search for his missing cat. Meeting many interesting people along the way, he sees many beautiful members of the cat family. There are lions and tigers and panthers. But where is his cat?

With Eric Carle’s child-friendly, repetitive text and his singular paper-cut illustrations, this is a book for parents and children to treasure.

Recommended.
Sara
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Have you seen my cat? is a typical Eric Carle book with a typical pattern throughout the book. This book is ideal for early readers, but also young Toddlers because the words are easy and so repetitive. The illustrations have the typical style as all other Eric Carle books and are child-friendly and inviting. This book would also be a great way to introduce different "wild cats" to children.
Nicholas Mennel
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Contemporary Realistic Fiction
K-3rd
This is one of those books that is able to draw out a simple concept and make a full and entertaining story. As this boy searches for his cat, he travels to places that give the reader an opportunity to learn about the world outside of what they are familiar with. I appreciate how it draws children into the bigger world around them.
Anna
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Eric Carle always has amazing artwork in his books and I love it. The story is basically a boy looking for his cat and everyone keeps pointing him in the direction of a cat they have seen, but it's not his cat until the very end.
Hiba Yuki
Another great Eric Carle book, it explores different types of cats, and cultures too.

We've loved this book for a couple years now, the pull out tabs have been glued back in so many times, I've lost count.
Maliha Arman
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ga-pre-k-books
This book is known and it's bright and beautiful illustrations. The audience is definitely for younger children but also introduces larger vocabulary words for Pre-K. The rhyming words in this book are fun and easy to memorize and identify.
Kelly Mangan
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Courtney
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Books like this are so informational for children and hold such a wealth of knowledge. I really enjoy reading books, like this one and many others to my children, for if you start them young then they will grow to have a love for reading and adventure!
Amanda
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baby-books
Classic Eric Carle book! My son loves the illustrations and repetition. As an adult reader it gets a little too repetitive, but that is exactly what makes it perfect for beginning readers. Great for ages 1-7.
Robin Raines-Bond
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun book about many different types of cats.
Heather McC
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
So many cats featured! A fun, predictable book that will get readers shouting along with you until the grand finale.
Miss Sarah
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it
A child goes looking for it's cat and meets many others along the way. will he find his? toddler and up
Linda B
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Around the world looking for your cat and yet, so many other cats to meet! Colorful and delightful.
Mrs. Ruigrok
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute story and shows many different cats and why it's important to have details! In typical Eric Carle style the collage cats are beautiful!
Hiba Yuki
We've read the sliding version of this book, and found it more appealing.
Samantha Holtsclaw
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Simple comparison story on finding your pet.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Doggies: A Counting and Barking Book
  • If I Ran the Zoo
  • Oh My Oh My Oh Dinosaurs!
  • The Greedy Python
  • Penguin Problems
  • Dr. Seuss's Horse Museum
  • Most Marshmallows
  • The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day
  • When I Get Bigger
  • The Berenstains' B Book (Bright & Early Books)
  • Sheep Go to Sleep
  • Merry Christmas, Little Pookie
  • Oh!
  • Octopus Opposites
  • Chester's Way
  • Puff, the Magic Dragon
  • Little Blue Truck
  • Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?
Eric Carle (born June 25, 1929) is a children's book author and illustrator, most famous for his book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, which has been translated into over 30 languages. Since The Very Hungry Caterpillar was published in 1969, Eric Carle has illustrated more than seventy books, many best sellers, most of which he also wrote, and more than 71 million copies of his books have sold around ...more

News & Interviews