Start by marking “MTIV Process, Inspiration and Practice for the New Media Designer” as Want to Read:
MTIV Process, Inspiration and Practice for the New Media Designer

MTIV Process, Inspiration and Practice for the New Media Designer

Outlines the approach for working with clients to develop clear, cogent, and creative communication. Divided into three parts, this book offers a methodology for artistic and professional work and also offers technical advice for translating this to the web.
Published May 31st 2002 by New Riders Publishing

Be the first to ask a question about MTIV Process, Inspiration and Practice for the New Media Designer

Start your review of MTIV Process, Inspiration and Practice for the New Media Designer
Gabino
May 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hillman Curtis is a New York-based web/flash/video designer of some international reknown in the design community. His company has worked with some major clients, including redesigning the Adobe website and creating 60-second Flash documentaries for Rollingstone.com. The book he published on Flash web design sold 100,000 copies and among other awards he was picked as one of the "world´s best flash designers" by Create Online.

So, with credentials like that Hillman Curtis set out to write "an hom
Jon
Mar 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Curtis has some wonderful insight into the creative process. He covers practical steps in producing great creative, talks about realities working with clients, and gives some personal real-world examples. I especially enjoyed his first-person journey of discovery on what a "concept" is, based on Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. Applied Visual Arts really does tie into other forms of art and inspiration (like music), which is cool.

He also invited other experts to speak into specific areas of
Paul
Nov 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
When new media design was a burgeoning profession, this book began to help define the way in which designers could speak about their work and understand/imagine forms of process. It was a wonderful book in college and should be a must-read for design students to begin understanding the client-oriented aspects of the profession (and how to create stuff you love despite them). For the most part, I'd say this book is still applicable in describing new media design today.
Thomas
Apr 08, 2011 rated it liked it
The copy that Hillman Curtis created was really good. The "Practice" section at the back I could have done with out and would have given the book a much higher rating. But, MTIV is well worth having for the first 2/3rds of the book and it has held up well over time.
Gary
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: design
This book is decent for a quick inspirational process tip, but I can't say it's a great read or even a jumping off point for motion/media design newbies. I'll be honest and say after the first 60 pages I skimmed the rest because I lost interest and didn't find myself gaining much out of it.
Jennifer Patel
So far, this book has proved to be an asset for me, as a studying New Media Designer. I'm one of those who needs to be assured that I can do it, and I can do it well.

Hillman Curtis also offers many useful tips from his own personal experience.
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a really good book for anyone that is looking for guidance in completing professional design projects. Curtis speaks of different approaches and ideas in which he and his team have accomplished a variety of projects. This book is also helpful in motivating creative minds, such as myself.
Toneisdead
Aug 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to be a better designer
This book is neccesary. Period.
Drew Grohowski
Jun 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
amazing amazing amazing amazing design
Aitor de la Cámara
Jan 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Insparing and challenging
Ryan Price
Oct 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A must-read for anyone who does client work. Just like it says: Process, Practive and Inspiration.
Hawthorn

• Behind the Beat: Hip Hop Home Studios
  • Creativity for Graphic Designers
  • Atlas of Graphic Designers
  • The Elements of Graphic Design: Space, Unity, Page Architecture, and Type
  • Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration
  • The Typographic Desk Reference
  • Notes on Graphic Design and Visual Communication
  • The Packaging Designer's Book of Patterns
  • American Nightmare: The History of Jim Crow
  • Sticky Wisdom: How to Start a Creative Revolution at Work

News & Interviews

“It does wonders for my own psyche to turn envy into inspiration. No matter how successful we become, we're never above that.” 1 likes