Start by marking “The Little Bed & Breakfast by the Sea” as Want to Read:
The Little Bed & Breakfast by the Sea

The Little Bed & Breakfast by the Sea

Escape to the seaside this summer!

Mae loves running her little Bed & Breakfast, it’s the perfect place to raise her adorable four-year-old daughter! And no matter how persistently local vet, Alfie, chases her, she just doesn’t have time for men in her life.

Willow is busy building her dream home with her husband, Ethan, but with every month that passes she secretly worries
Published June 28th 2017 by HQ Digital (HarperCollins)

To ask other readers questions about The Little Bed & Breakfast by the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Bed & Breakfast by the Sea

Start your review of The Little Bed & Breakfast by the Sea
Dash fan
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
5☆ Beautifully Written, Compelling story of Friendships and New Beginnings.

The little bed and breakfast by the sea is a charming feel good story that will leave you feeling warm and cosy inside.
It's beautifully written, and the atmosphere surrounding the bed and breakfast is enchanting.

The story is told by each of the 3 main character's points of view. I know some readers find this off putting, but I actually found it ok. It was easy to follow and the stories linked in with ease.

There are 3 mai
Melindam
Netgalley Arc provided by the Publisher in exchange of an honest review.

3.5 Stars

A light and restful beach-read.

Mae is a single Mum with a 4-year-old daughter, running a small, cozy B&B in a small seaside town on the northwest coast of Britain and working in a local pub to make ends meet. She is devoted to her daughter and to her work and busy fending off the unoffensive, but insistent overtures of the local vet.

Willow runs a little shop, she revamps unwanted, old household objects. The old ho
Claire Robinson
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 - "Is that a cone in your pocket... or are you just pleased to see me?" Stars!

Another excellent book from Jennifer Joyce. If you are looking for an enjoyable easy-going read for the summer then The Little Bed & Breakfast by the Sea is the perfect addition to your Kindle.

This is the second book I have read by this author, and one of the things that I fell in love with in the first book and what carried through with this one is the innate Britishness of it. The characters again are down-to-earth
Rachel Gilbey
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

I loved The Little Bed and Breakfast by the Sea, both the book and the building. For it really is a tiny B&B as it only has 2 rooms available for customers, with Mae and her 4 year old daughter Hannah living in the rest of the house.

The B&B is set in a gorgeous little Northern coastal town Clifton-on-Sea, which we get to see through the eyes of Melody who is taking photos of towns such as these. It takes a while to fully understand why it is she is a photographer who is a bit unsure of
Pamela
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. A light, easy summer read. Three women with a "little something" that is bothering them, but with wit and humor, Ms. Joyce tells their tale. The characters and setting will keep you entertained. This is a lovely and sweet story.

**Thank you to the publisher and Net Galley in exchange of an honest review.**
Stacey
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a really lovely and enjoyable read by Jennifer Joyce. It's lighthearted and the romances make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside! I found this book really easy to read and it made the book go by so quick! I was soon finding that I was nearly finished but didn't want it to end!

This is the perfect book to read by the pool on your summer holiday but also a great one to read snuggled up on the sofa with a hot cup of coffee. There are three main characters and their stories - Mae, Willow and
Katie
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, chick-lit
Prepare to fall in love this summer with this charming seaside town of Clifton-on-Sea in the North of England. I loved that Jennifer Joyce set the book up in the North as there are many gorgeous seaside towns up there but don't get the advertisement of towns in Cornwall and Devon.

The main basis of the story is focusing on three women who I each fell in love with. Jennifer did a gorgeous job of describing each character and they each have their own distinct personality. Mae runs a B&B in the tow
Nicola Clough
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my first book by this author and it will not be my last as it was excellent and is perfect summer read and to be by the seaside and about friendship and new beginnings and I really didn't want the book to read as so well written. It's about three main people Mae who runs a bed and breakfast and had a no time in her life for love as she thinks of her daughter and her job along with running the bed and breakfast but can she change all that with the local vet wanting to go out with her. The ...more
Kaisha (The Writing Garnet)
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
All reviews can be found on my blog at https://thewritinggarnet.wordpress.com

Whilst reading a book, have you ever felt a sudden urge to shout out ‘YASSSS!!!’?

You have? Me too. Want to know why?

After reading Jennifer Joyce’s previous novel (and enjoying it), I felt like that particular story was missing something. What though, I had absolutely no idea. Seeing as I am familiar with the authors other books, I knew that she had it in her to go the extra mile with her storyline this time around. I ha
Roberta
Quite a fun story, but the plot line with the B&B owner and the vet makes me uneasy, as it reinforces that “if a woman/girl says no to you, just keep on asking until she changes her mind”, which at its root means the person persisting has absolutely no respect for the other person’s choices. What makes it worse, is that when she finally decides she does want to date him, rather than ask him out on a date, she hangs around waiting for him to ask. I enjoyed the other characters’ story lines a lot ...more
Kim
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, net-galley
This was such a charming, heart warming book set in a bed and breakfast by the sea. You feel wrapped within a warm and cosy blanket enjoying the friendships and romances in the beautiful setting of Clifton on Sea whilst enjoying a cup of tea and enjoying a plate of cookies!

Mae runs a lovely bed and breakfast by the sea where she rents 2 rooms out in her house. She also has to work shifts in the local pub to help make ends meet. She has a 4 year old daughter and keeps rebuffing the advances of th
Danielle Urban
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Little Bed and Breakfast by the Sea is a sweet summer tale. Jennifer Joyce is a talented writer. Her charcaters were so believable. They felt real. I kept asking myself...are these characters real people or pieces of fiction created by a mastermind. This ummer is full of action. Love is in the air...readers like myself can feel it and the heat is scorching...however, it maintains a clean yet hilarious vibe. Three women go through life with some tough spots. Each one has a man to deal with. O ...more
Sophie
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love Jennifer Joyce’s books and they never, ever disappoint, so I was very excited to download a copy of her newest book The Little Bed & Breakfast by the Sea, and it was a joy to read. I’m a huge fan of Jennifer’s books anyway but I also love a seaside setting, as my favourite place to be is by the sea – so this book was a win-win for me and it was an utter delight.

Mae has always dreamed of running her own little bed and breakfast, and her wish has come true. She rents out the spare rooms in
Petra Quelch
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It has been a while since I read Jennifer Joyce's book but I couldn't resist this beautiful paperback when I saw it being proudly displayed on the bookshelf. Not only the cover is delectable the story inside is packed with lovable characters and setting that immediately transported me to the seaside town of Clifton on Sea.
The Little Bed &Breakfast is centred around three women - Mae, Willow, and Melody. Mae is a single mother and owner of a gorgeous B&B where Willow and Melody luckily end up sp
Janette
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A charming story of new beginnings, family, friendship, love and sadness. It is told from the point of view of the 3 lead characters. I liked each of the three women - each with a very different story to tell.

The story was well written with warm characterisation set in a picturesque seaside setting. The location of the story is beautifully described - I could almost smell the sea air and hear the seagulls. It has a cosy storyline which flows along perfectly. Perfect for a summer day in the gard
Mrs Vicki Gower
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A lovely enjoyable easy to read summer story. You easily fall in love with the charming seaside town, and the three women who come together, become friends. They all have different problems in their lives, but all have hope and romance towards the end. A nice easy feel good tale.
Emma Crowley
Jun 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Jennifer Joyce certainly hasn't kept us waiting long for a new book as it was only back in February that The Little Teashop of Broken Hearts was published. I had really enjoyed this book so was thrilled when I saw the cover for The Little Bed and Breakfast by the Sea which again turned out to be charming, heartfelt read that I flew through as I found it so enjoyable. I've said it before but bed and breakfasts seem to be this Summer's theme for books published in the lighter end of women's fictio ...more
Rachel Humphries
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What an absolutely fabulous story! Fun, sweet & light hearted, it's a perfect summer read when you're lounging around the pool.

I loved each of the 3 women & their personal journies navigating some difficult times. All of the secondary characters were fantastic too & reading this book definitely conjured up a lot of my childhood memories visiting a caravan park in Wales.

Will definitely look forward to reading more from this author
Melinda Anders
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. If you like Maeve Binchy you should read this one.
Grace J Reviewerlady
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What an enjoyable, easy read .. one which has left me with a smile in my heart!

This novel centres around the lives of three very different women, unknown to each other at the beginning but soon to become firm friends. The setting is glorious, well-described and easy to picture and, indeed, crave to visit. It's a lovely story, heart-warming and a perfect holiday read. The characters are well-drawn, well-named and completely individual. It's the kind of book you close with a sigh .. completely sat
Tracey
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a joy this book was. This is an easy summer read which will have you smiling and laughing more than once. The romance isn’t sloppy either, I hate sloppiness. I found myself associating with a couple of things mentioned which made this book even more enjoyable to me.

I loved the characters and the setting, the writer got everything right, yet again. This is a wonderful read, ideal for weekend retreats. It’s not a heavy read and will keep you entertained throughout
Carol Beasley
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I very much enjoyed this book. The changing POV's allowed for a more rounded story than can sometimes be found in these books and it was nice to see a realistic approach to the romance. It is definitely a slow burn romance but it was still engaging and sweet.

This is definitely a lazy day read when you just want something slow and sweet to read.

- I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review
Sammm
3 for 2.5~2.75; if this book still rate 2.7+ when having 150+ eaters; I'm lowering mine to a 2. Willow's part was the most interesting to me, but even factoring that, I still can't say I liked the book.

Minor review WIP

A digitized ARC of this book was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Diane
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
( Thank you NetGalley and the Publisher for allowing me to read this ARC for an honest review)
The Little Bed & Breakfast by the Sea by author Jennifer Joyce is a delightful book to read anytime of year, but be prepared to almost hear the waves of the sea, or smell the fried foods, or crave and ice cream from the promenade as you read. The story focuses on three different women with problems they feel are too personal to talk about or difficult to overcome.
Mae is a single mother of a young daugh
Angela Sandford
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
The Little Bed & Breakfast by the Sea is a lovely story about the coming together of three women - all with different heartaches and difficulty moving on.

Mae runs the B&B and has a daughter aged 4, Hannah. Hannah’s father isn’t on the scene - he left as soon as he found out Mae was expecting. Mae finds it hard to trust men and let them into her and her daughters life. There is one man though, Alfie, a vet, who keeps asking Mae out.....will she finally give in?

Willow is staying at the B&B after
Memphistigergal
Oct 25, 2017 rated it liked it
The Little Bed and Breakfast by the Sea by Jennifer Joyce
PM
Mae is fulfilling her dream of running a bed and breakfast in the house her grandparents left her in an English seaside town. Willow is a local shop owner who is trying to build the house of her dreams with her husband, but fate seems to be against them. Melody is just an amateur photographer passing through trying to get a prize winning shot. This story brings these women together under one roof and their lives become forever entwined.
R.S. Williams
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Like many books, the first thing that caught my attention was the title and the cover. It looks so inviting and warm. Then I read the blurb and pressed request straight away. The house and tabled and chairs all look so inviting. I want to sit there and enjoy the sun while I write.

This warm summer tale will have you wrapped up in one chapter. I love the change of POV and the story from all thee ladies perspectives. Mae is a busy woman, focusing on her 4-year-old daughter, running a B&B and takin
Sally Coles
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mae has turned her Grandparents old house into a B & B and is trying to make a living for herself and her young daughter so when guests cancel at the last minute right in the middle of the holiday season she is worried......that is a lot of money to lose and where can she get more guests at such short notice.

Willow is doing up her lovely beachfront house with her husband Ethan,. but things are not going to plan - he is the love of her life but is he drifting away from her and the house is taking
Nikki Brown
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A lovely book, about the lives of 3 women who are thrown together in differing circumstances.

Mae, the owner of a bed and breakfast and Mum to a daughter. Willow, married to Ethan and who runs an upcycling shop in the town. Melody, who's visiting on a holiday, taking pictures of quintessential English seaside towns.

Each with their own story, each fighting their own demons. Between them they each help each other.

A lovely story and good book which I found really hard to put down.
Elizabeth Grieve
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lovely feelgood read set in a charming Northern (a change from the usual Cornish setting!) seaside town. It's certainly a place I'd want to visit! Mae runs a small bed and breakfast, and two guests arrive unexpectedly, resulting in a friendship between the three women. Don't want to give spoilers so will not say more, but it is a heartwarming story of love and friendship.
Thanks to the publisher for a review copy.

• Finding Hope at Lighthouse Cove (Welcome To Whitsborough Bay Book 3)
  • Christmas at The Chocolate Pot Café (Whitsborough Bay, #7)
  • The Little Kiosk By The Sea
  • Making Wishes at Bay View (Welcome To Whitsborough Bay #1)
  • The Secret To Happiness
  • Searching for Steven (Whitsborough Bay, #1)
  • Summer at Coastguard Cottages
  • Coming Home To Seashell Cottage (Welcome To Whitsborough Bay Book 4)
  • Charlee and the Chocolate Shop (Whitsborough Bay, #5)
  • Bear With Me (Whitsborough Bay, #4)
  • A Springtime To Remember
  • Game of Scones (The Little Teashop, #1)
  • Ninety Days of Summer (Goldebury Bay Book 1)
  • The Little Village of Happiness
  • Christmas Every Day
  • A Riviera Retreat
  • Lola & The Man: A heartwarming and magical Christmas story.
  • Ninety Steps to Summerhill (Goldebury Bay Book 2)
I'm a writer of romantic comedies who lives in Manchester with my husband and our two daughters. I've been scribbling down bits of stories for as long as I can remember, graduating from a pen to a typewriter and then an electronic typewriter. And I felt like the bee's knees typing on THAT. I now write my books on a laptop (which has a proper delete button and everything).

You can keep up to date wi

News & Interviews