Start by marking “The Last Thing She Ever Did” as Want to Read:
The Last Thing She Ever Did

The Last Thing She Ever Did

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  19,873 ratings  ·  1,335 reviews
From the #1 New York Times bestselling author comes a psychological thriller exploring the things we dare to do when no one is looking . . .

The community along Oregon's Deschutes River is one of successful careers and perfect families. For years, up-and-comers Liz and Owen have admired their good friends and neighbors, Carole and David. They appear to have it all--security
Published January 1st 2018 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about The Last Thing She Ever Did, please sign up.
Kelli It is a stand alone book. I think it would be appropriate for older teenagers. There aren't any racy sex scenes, although he does talk about infidelit…moreIt is a stand alone book. I think it would be appropriate for older teenagers. There aren't any racy sex scenes, although he does talk about infidelity. There is some violence, but nothing too gory. It is a great book! Hope this helps! (less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·
 ·  19,873 ratings  ·  1,335 reviews

Start your review of The Last Thing She Ever Did
Meredith
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley

The characters in this book are a bunch of self-centered a**holes, but they make for an entertaining read!

The Last Thing She Ever Did is a suspenseful, quick read filled with twists and turns. The characters are appalling, the story is over the top, and there's tons of drama--this combination makes for an addictive reading experience!

Behind the closed doors of the beautiful facades of Bend, Oregon yuppie couples Liz and Owen Jarrett and Carole and David Franklin, ugliness lurks.
Kendall
Jan 08, 2018 rated it liked it
The Last Thing She Ever Did is a fast and engaging thriller. This was my first experience with Gregg Olson and I can definitely see why many people like his style of writing :).

Gregg Olson knows how to leave his readers on the edge of their seats! Can I just say... talk about a year of bad luck!! Yikes!

Liz and Owen live in a small Oregon community by the Deschutes River. They are good friends with their neighbors David and Carole who appear to have it all with a sweet and charming little boy. O
Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
3.5 Stars

The Last thing She Ever Did is an intriguing story and it caught my attention right from the start. I felt a little sympathy for one of our main characters right from the start but that did not last long. In one moment things changed for our characters and it sets off a chain of such awful behavior, it was hard to find any sympathy for these unlikable characters. Of course, except for Charlie.

Gregg Olsen does a great job here creating some very unlikable characters who react very badly
Sarah Joint
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a nerve-racking book! It made me feel for characters I thought I couldn't. A bit, anyway... as this book is full of characters that are difficult to like. Just when you think you've identified the worst character... oh, you're wrong. Bad decisions run rampant in this one. Suspenseful enough to keep your attention if slightly predictable. I know a lot of people won't be a fan of the ending... but even though it was jarring, I was okay with it.

Liz and Owen are on their way to success. After
Nazanin
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
3 Stars

Well, this book was really good. It was predictable but the writing was really good. It held my interest and I was enjoying it, then I read the ending and it disappointed me! It didn’t satisfy me! I wanted to know about that unfinished conversation, about (view spoiler) or what was Carole’s reaction or what she would say after knowing about the truth or what the detective would do; the right thing or wrong one! It was like I read this bo
Brenda
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
I've read a few Gregg Olsen books before and enjoyed them. I tried to keep an open mind as I read this book, but characters doing really stupid things, making really bad decisions, and compounding their lies drive me nuts! There was more than one character in this book that did just that. I see that some readers didn’t like the ending. By then, I didn’t really care. I couldn’t trust anyone to do the right thing, so why would they start then?

I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway. I thank Amazon
Tulay
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Couldn't give five stars.

Reason for four stars is; readers have to decide what was "The Last Thing She Ever Did." I like clear start with clear ending, don't want to wonder, may this or may be that.
Missing three years old boy, his mother's suffering was little long. There are many twists kept my heart beating fast. We know what happened to him, questions was how and when he was going to be found.
Glad that this tragedy opened the eyes of Carole and Liz.
Kris - My Novelesque Life
RATING: 4 STARS
JANUARY 1, 2018; Thomas & Mercer

This novel is crazy! I mean crazy in a good way. I will warn you that there are some uncomfortable scenes in this book, so if you don’t like gritty suspense novels, you might want to pass on this one. Charlie, a young boy, is out of his mother’s sight for several minutes and vanishes. A neighbour and close friend to his mother knows what happens but coming forward will ruin their lives. Other than Charlie, all the characters were pretty much selfish
Victor *I Was In The Pool!*
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, thriller
I didn't like anyone in this story. I didn't like the split-second and life-altering decisions that were made. I didn't like such a simple premise.

I read this in one sitting.

I didn't look for any opportunity to do laundry or dust picture frames. I planted my backside on the sofa and with the exception of a few bathroom and coffee breaks, I read the whole thing. The writing is that good.

Not only did I not connect with anyone, I didn't like them. There was one person that I was somewhat sympatheti
Sherri Thacker
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Holy cow!!!! What did i just read????? This book is one gripping, fast paced story from the very first page to the last!!! I started it this morning and just kept reading!!! It had me on the edge of my seat. So many lies, so many secrets ... it just fully engaged me the whole time!! But wait ... the ending !!!! Hmmmmmm. That’s all I’m gonna say. You need to read this book. 5 stars from me!!
Gary
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
A community full of perfect families with successful careers, what could go wrong. But for the families along Oregon’s Deschutes River life is about to change. Liz and Owen have always admired their good friends and neighbours, Carole and David. They appear to have it all, security, happiness, and a beautiful young son, Charlie. But when Charlie vanishes without a trace, and all that seemed safe is shattered by a tragedy that is incomprehensible, except to Liz.
A terrible accident, and Liz makes
Samantha
Jan 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
I tried to enjoy this but I gave up mid way. I’m going in to 2018 with the ‘life is too short for books you don’t connect with’ so I’m giving up with this one.
It’s stuffed full of characters who each have this disgusting selfishness about them that makes my skin crawl. A little extreme you may say but it’s my unshakeable reaction to this book sadly.
The story (this happens at the beginning so no spoilers!) basically revolves around a woman who reversed over a 3 year old boy, hides the body and
Christina Renfro
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This will quickly become a fan favorite! Think you've made some bad choices? Grab this book, have a read, you will see how one bad life choice can snowball out of control!
⋆  yel  ⋆
Jan 20, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-reads, review
Date read: January 17-January 20, 2020

Actual Rating: 1.00 STAR

WHAT THE ACTUAL F***!! I can't believe I just wasted four days to read this awful book. The only thing I'm glad about was the fact that I finally came to its end and I no longer need to waste anymore time reading this.

This is the most exhausting, agitating and annoying book I've read in a long time. For real. It gets worst and worst with every chapter. I just hate this so much I just wished I didn't came across this book. I'm
TheCowboyWayne
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read

I'm honored to think Amazon considers my to be contextually similar enough to Gregg Olson's enough so that they appear to have removed my previous review of this book based on possible bias. However this isn't the case.
I read, no, i devoured this book in 2 days. Which for me is quite a feat. It was simply that good of a story.
That the author lives locally is pure coincidence I assure you.
This story feels real. It can be true a true story, but thankfully isn't (i hope!).

Megan  Carpenter
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Where to start with this book? This book is by far the best book I have read this year! From the very first page all the way to the last this book has you on the edge of your seat! The way this book is written you find yourself turning page after page and wanting to just keep reading! The twists and turns in this book are outstanding they leave your mind to wander to what if's and who done it. If I were to rate this book on a scale of 1 to 10 I would give it a solid 10 the writing is outstanding ...more
Suzanne Flohr
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gregg you have done it again. I am never disappointed when I read one of your books. The characters were great easy to connect to . You take me to another world when I read your books. I cannot wait to read another one.
Chris
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
if you have not heard of Gregg olsen you must read this book. outstanding writing and a bit scarey in places. loved it.i find with his books you just cant wait to see what is on the next page.
Lee Husemann
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This is a fantastic book and one that you will not want to put down. There are lots of twists and turns in it with a real surprise ending. This is one of the best books I have read this year. I highly recommend this to anyone who loves a good thriller.
Donna Weber
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
“Oh, what a tangled web we weave...when first we practice to deceive.” Walter Scott, Marmion

I almost put this book down... Set on Oregon's Deschutes River, Greg Olsen tells  a deeply disturbing story of a mother's worst fear, a horrific unthinkable act and the repercussions that follow. The Last Thing She Ever Did is fraught with guilt, grief, betrayals and an escalating sense of paranoia among a highly despicable cast of characters, save for a few.

A bit disappointed in the ending.
Eve
May 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Wow, I didn't like this book at all! I wish I never started reading it! This was very bleak and depressing look into human nature.

I was repulsed, disgusted, irritated, horrified by the characters and this story. The way the characters made one bad, stupid, irresponsible decision after another and never acted like adults they were, was beyond my understanding. (view spoiler)
Alaina
SO GOOD!
The Last Thing She Ever Did will have you on the edge of your seat THE ENTIRE TIME. I was probably a hot mess the entire time while reading it. I barely slept while reading this book because it was so freaking addicting! I just wanted to know everything! I couldn't wait! Plus, my mind was like "WHAT IS SLEEP?!?" "DON'T KID YOURSELF! READ THE DAMN BOOK LADY!". Yup, the book won this round and I'm not regretting anything.

Okay, so this book is about two different couples, who are friends, a
Yellagirlgc
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Liz was running late to take her bar exam and the unthinkable happened. She hit her best friends son with her truck and hides his body. Her husband Owen helps with the cover up. Watching Carole fall apart not knowing where her three year old is was tearing Liz apart. She wasnt the only person keeping secrets.
As things unfolded I sympathized with Carole. Not knowing what happened to Charlie on her watch and blaming herself. As mothers we can't keep a constant eye on toddlers. Liz was a weak woma
Dale Harcombe
Carole and David, after tearing down the older home that was there, live in an upmarket house along the Deschutes River in Oregon. Some people in the area resent these neighbours and their acquisition. Neighbours Liz and Owen live in an older, smaller place that has been there for years. Despite the differences in their circumstances, the two couples have become friends, Liz and Carole particularly. It seems Carole and David have wealth, security and a beautiful young son, Charlie. Until the day ...more
Lynda Kelly
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Hmmm....this was a solid 4* till I looked back before composing this review at the notes I'd made on my Kindle and as I did I realised there are a LOT of things mentioned I'm having to defer to Google for. A lot. Now, I easily preferred this to the 2 true crime books I've read by him, since both were edited terribly. No proper proofread. This is definitely WAY better presented which I was happy about. Plus I selected this as my Kindle First book for December and paid for it so I'm glad it wasn't ...more
Ella Star
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing

OMG this book truly tested my limits! I don’t tend to get squeamish often but this one made me feel sick to my stomach all the while providing a compelling story and a satisfying conclusion I was sooo praying for.

This book was honestly incredible and solidifies my belief that T&M thrillers are some of the best out there. This is my third one in a month or so and I just can’t get enough.

I loved the characters the
Lisa
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An edge of the seat thriller.

A gripping novel , from start to finish. This is the first time I have read anything by this author, but it certainly won't be the last.

Just when you think you know where the story is going, it bends and twists and takes you down an unexpected path. A riveting read x
Marina
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
I finished this book very quickly, as (tbh), I skim read 70% of it. I didn’t find it very interesting and the characters were quite unappealing. (view spoiler) I know many people have enjoyed this book but it just wasn’t for me. ...more
pat goode
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good book

Enjoyed this book.was full of shape we and just when you tbhi k what happens next. It goes a other way
Andrea
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good fast paced thriller. I liked it, not TOO complex, fast paced enough to keep me turning pages.

• The Stillwater Girls
  • Owned by the Mob Boss (Russian Crime Brotherhood, #6)
  • The Midnight Wife
  • In An Instant
  • Last Day
  • The Girl Who Lived
  • Bloody Christmas
  • Unspeakable Things
  • I See You (Criminal Profiler #2)
  • Thief River Falls
  • When I Was You
  • A Killer's Wife (Desert Plains, #1)
  • Bred in the Bone (Widow's Island #4)
  • Wall of Silence
  • The Last Sister (Columbia River, #1)
  • The Poison Garden
  • Only Daughter
  • When She Returned
Throughout his career, Gregg Olsen has demonstrated an ability to create a detailed narrative that offers readers fascinating insights into the lives of people caught in extraordinary circumstances.

A #1 New York Times bestselling author, Olsen has written ten nonfiction books, ten novels, and contributed a short story to a collection edited by Lee Child.

The award-winning author has been a guest on

Articles featuring this book

The danger is always close to home in domestic suspense thrillers. Here, the narrators are unreliable, the terrors are psyc...
“a negative soul who made a point of slicing the joy from any possible moment with her razor of a tongue.” 4 likes
“Beetles never stop. They gnaw silently and relentlessly. Guilt is like that too.” 2 likes