Start by marking “Be the One: Six True Stories of Teens Overcoming Hardship with Hope” as Want to Read:
Be the One: Six True Stories of Teens Overcoming Hardship with Hope

Be the One: Six True Stories of Teens Overcoming Hardship with Hope

Emmy Award–winning ABC News chief national correspondent and Nightline coanchor, Byron Pitts shares the heartbreaking and inspiring stories of six young people who overcame impossible circumstances with extraordinary perseverance.

Abuse.
Bullying.
War.
Drug Addiction.
Mental Illness.
Violence.

None of these should be realities for anyone, much less a young person. But for so
Published May 16th 2017 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Be the One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be the One

Grace Duffey
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Be the One is an outstanding book about six teenagers that fight for a good life. The author of this book is a journalist that has met these people and heard their stories in person. Some of these stories can be a little heavy but they still show true leadership in life. These kids have experienced bullying, war, violence, and other actions. Some of these stories are sad and depressing but most of this book is inspiration for young readers who read this book.
Be the One is an unforgettable book
Jennifer Ernst
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Be the one is a very inspiring book, if makes you feel you can achieve so many things just like these kids in the book that were their own hero. I feel that this book taught me a lot and helped me understand how a lot of kids are not as fortunate as we are.
This book took place in 6 different kid's lives. Each section was about each kid and their life story. The whole tone of this book is kind of sad because these kids grew up with such a horrific childhood. This book inspires me to not judge
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Pitts, Byron Be the One, 119 pages. Simon and Schuster, 2017. $18. Content: Language: G; Mature Content: PG-13; Violence: R.

ABC News Correspondent Byron Pitts tells the story of six teens who have overcome hardships in their lives. He tells about the hardships of each of the teens which includes: rape, being bullied, caring for mentally ill parents, living in war torn countries, and the death of loved ones. As each youth tries to persevere, Pitts asks each teen “Where do you go when the world h
FloeticFlo
Be the One is essentially based off six interviews/profiles by ABC News Correspondent Byron Pitts. I picked up an ARC (advance reader's copy) of this book at ALA Midwinter in January, and it's been my on-and-off purse book for awhile. I finally committed and finished it this weekend. Be the One is good for that because it's six separate stories of a child who overcomes. This is the kind of book that makes you sad and mad that he world is what it is, but also proud that the world is what it is -- ...more
Sandra
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bea-2017, middle-grade, ya
The writing isn't all that good. I was disapointed because he came across as an excellent speaker. Maybe he isn't used to writing for teens.

The result is that though the situations might be a bit adult, they're oversimplified beyond journalism into homogeny and the language is more middle grade than teen. The personalities of the teens in question seem secondary to the narrative for him, giving all the stories a type of terrible similarity despite the disparity of situations.

Rather than general
Lori
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book for my preteen and decided to read it myself as well. I enjoyed the short stories of various youngsters overcoming major obstacles and tragedies in this book. I wish the stories delved a bit deeper and allowed us to invest more with each individual. I do think this would be a good book for teens and preteens to read, especially as the problems of those that age seem so much bigger than they may be in reality and these stories may help give important perspective. Plus, it is a ...more
Nickie
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a disturbing book and one about overcoming insurmountable odds. Pitts writes the stories of six teens from around the world who have survived unspeakable hardships and have gone on to make something of their lives and not wallow in self-pity. I wanted to wallow is self-pity for them! I think this would be a good book for that teen who is dealing with family, health, or other major issues because it shows that others have faced that and worse and have not given up. This is a high school o ...more
Celeste
Feb 20, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was hard to read. It's short and each chapter is about a different teen who has had to overcome hardship in their young life. I guess it I didn't like it because the front cover said it's a story of hope, but really the whole book concentrated on the awful parts of the teens life. It just missed the mark for me. Also reviewed on kissthebook blog
Kirsten
Interesting and inspiring, but something about the writing didn't move me. I can't quite put my finger on it except that the simplicity of the writing doesn't match the gravity of some of these teen's life struggles. Perhaps I'm being overly critical. I'm guessing teens would really like it.
Taylor Dean
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book!!! These stories are so inspirational and I ate this book up! It was so easy to read and I flew through it! Whether you are going through hardship or not, I think everyone should read this book. I am speechless after reading this book. Everyone should read this.
Wendy
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really quick read; most inspiring for and oriented to youth. Quotes that describe much of what the book presents:"Where do you go, where do you hide, when the world hurts too much?" "Facts don't change, but each of us has some control over our truths."
Brenda Kahn
This collection of inspirational stories has its heart in the right place.
Allegra
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is truly inspiring. it is amazing how resilient the human spirit can be.
Katie
Aug 03, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, ya
Good stories that could be helpful/ inspirational to teens, but poorly told. The writing is not good.
Betty
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great collection of 6 teens who have overcome adversities to be successful. Told in a journalistic voice, I would like to hear more from the teens themselves.
Chelsa
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Great idea!

I love the idea of this book and how it focuses on young adults as survivors. However, it isn't well-written. Be the one!
Terri Dreismeier
A must read for every student, parent, teacher, and administrator.
Sundi
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
Great book full of powerful stories of perseverance that will certainly make you think about where you're choosing to stay stuck or choosing to move forward.
Stacey Walden
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this entire short book in a few hours. His words are heart wrenching, captivating, and hopeful. As a future teacher, this book will stick with me for a long time.
Shauna Yusko
Will definitely find an audience.
Sarah B
Kimberly Jones
Jun 26, 2018
Marisa
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick YA nonfiction book meant to share I slurring stories of teens and what they overcome to pursue their goals, dreams, and find their purpose.
Faith was a constant theme brought up in the book. Wish it less prevalent when considering books to recommend to a large audience in a public school setting.
Amy