Start by marking “Paper Cranes (Fairytale Twist, #1)” as Want to Read:
Paper Cranes (Fairytale Twist, #1)

Paper Cranes

(Fairytale Twist #1)

Tristan Parker is lost.
After living through his parent’s bitter divorce, Tristan surprises everyone when he decides to uproot his life and move across the country with his dad. Disenchanted, Tristan deals with his pain by shutting out the world… until one day, when trying to retrieve a lost baseball, he climbs a tower and meets a girl.

Helena Thompson is like no one Trista
Published June 23rd 2017

To ask other readers questions about Paper Cranes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paper Cranes

Jennifer G
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
"I voluntarily reviewed an advance copy of this book. All opinions expressed are my own."

Jordan Ford captured magic in Paper Cranes. This is a departure from her normal books, but you won't be disappointed. It's a captivating retelling of Rapunzel.

Tristan is in a deep depression following his parent's divorce. He is disillusioned and cynical about love after his mother cheated with her boss. Now he's living with his father acting the role of the adult while his father wallows and drinks his nig
Lola
I received a free copy of this book from the author and voluntarily reviewed it.

If you're looking for a modern day fairytale that has a definite fairytale feel, but also deals with serious topics, this is the book for you. This book is very different from the books by Jordan Ford I've read before and there were parts I enjoyed very much, but also parts that left me feeling a bit meh. I think part of that is because I just read a very good book and another part is because I usually don't enjoy fa
Lenore Kosinski

4.5 stars -- I received a free copy in exchange for an honest and unbiased review/opinion.

So, as with all my reads this week, I was very distracted while reading this book, and had a hard time getting sucked in.  But somewhere after the halfway point, this book took hold of my heart and didn't let me go, making me stay up until 4:30 am to finish it.  To say this book finished in an amazing fashion is a bit of an understatement.  I arrived at the end with t
Emmi
Paper cranes is a little different than Jordan Ford‘s other books but she did an amazing job of telling this beautiful fairytale-lovestory and making me fall in love with Tristan, despite his initially faint heartedness ;)
This book tackles some tough themes and I‘m sure many young people can relate to Tristan‘s feelings. He is hurting and lonely and miserable and then he meets his „ghost girl“.
For her, he finally wants to break free from the dark and we get to see the caring young man he is unde
Paz Vivanco
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't give less than 5 stars to this wonderful book.

It got me in since I started reading it, and then I just fell in love with Helena and her sweetness and kindness personality, and how much Tristan enjoyed been with her.

Their friendship starts when Tristan throwed a baseball ball of kid and it landed inside the window of a tower of the house next door, so to get it back he had to climb to the window. After that first encounter they got to keep seeing each other again.

I found so cute the wa
Lori Shankle
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ms. Ford has done it again. I had somewhat low expectations for this book after seeing it was a modern version of the fairy tail Rapunzel. But boy was I wrong. Although it is based on the similar story line, Ms. Ford wrote it in such a great way that does not seem like a fairy tale. The story line is smooth and just pulls you in and you just need to read page after page. There were so many emotions going on, excitement and dreams that I could not just put the book down. If I could give this book ...more
Vanessa
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must read! I love the elements of fairytale interwoven with real life love and tragedy. The characters are very well written and you'll find yourself completely swept away into their thoughts. The ending.........I can't tell you 🙄 but it's my favorite! Thank you Jordan Ford! This will be a book I read again and again. 💜
Manta Eu Jin
I'm in a Kpop fandom and there's this way of classifying stans: soft and hard. Well if you're a soft stan, you mostly see your fave as a fluffy, "smol", ball of sunshine that you want to protect from the bad things on earth, and you use the word "soft" as an emotion. Then, if you're a hard stan, well, just think of 5o shades of Grey type of adoration for your fave.

So for "Paper Cranes" I feel so soft for this novel. It is based on Rapunzel so the premise was very familiar. But the characters wer
Jillian Mitchell
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have always loved fairytales. When I was little fairytales were the realm of happy endings where the guy gets the girl in a heroic display and they ride of into the sunset. Often in these stories the hero is a knight who is tender and caring to the princess who they protect. I have always loved the genuine care they posses with the person they love and how special they treat her. Any girl wants to be treated like this and it is nice to read a modern day adaptation of how just a regular guy can ...more
Kate
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Paper Cranes is pure magic.
Set to the tones of a fairytale, and lined with references to Shakespeare, Jordan Ford's latest will draw you in until you don't want to come up for air! Written in our hero Tristan's POV, Paper Cranes is poignant, lyrical, and all-consuming. Not to be missed, either by longtime fans or first-time readers.

Tristan Parker doesn't believe in love. Not anymore. It's hard to, when his parents have just gone through a biter divorce and left him as part of their fallout. Tris
Renee Adams-Cook
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh my heart. ❤💔😁😭

This book was AMAZING!!!!!! Wow, I can't ever describe how much I loved this book.

Helena and Tristan's love storey is of epic proportions. Literally overcoming everything to be together.... ahhh. (Wipes away a tear)

I don't even know where to start telling you everything that was so right with this story.

The fairytale feel...
The innocent love...
The magic...
The multiple life lessons...

Jordan rendered me speechless and those closest to me will tell you that's an impossible task.

Rep
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
Paper Cranes is a fairy tale retelling, taking you away from the contemporary romance/suspense that Jordan Ford has previously published. It starts with a sullen Tristan, who has had his life disrupted due to his parents' divorce. He moves away from his mum and her new boyfriend to stay with his dad, but didn't realise that he would end up looking after him. All seems lost as he sinks deeper into bitterness and sadness. However, when he goes to rescue a lost baseball, he finds more than a ball. ...more
Bobo's Book Bank
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have so much to say about this book, I'm not even sure where to start! I'll admit that the Young Adult genre is not my first pick (but I DO like it!), since I often have a hard time connecting with the characters. However, I love YA author Jordan Ford (I've reviewed three or four books from her) because her spellbinding words flow so easily, they invite me into her world and keep me there until the last page. I found myself reading this beautiful book with both a smile and a few tears. There's ...more
Linda
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow, wasn't expecting this, but loved it. Sad, but hopeful, and at times heart-breaking, but inspiring.

Tristan was one of those kids that I truly empathized with. I may not have had to experience life as a child whose parents divorced, but know a few who have and how difficult and sad it can be for everyone. Tristan makes a decision that smaller children cannot, but is tough regardless. To have to choose between your parents is hard on any kid, but in his case, also having to be the parent just
Bel
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This really captivated me right from the beginning. I love the fact that it was written from Tristan's perspective. He is a teenage boy struggling to adjust to his new life after choosing to live with his father after his parents' divorce. He is shut off from the world and wishing away his youth until one day, a wayward baseball throw into a neighbours tower window leads him to meet a girl that will change his life forever.

Helena cherishes every day, loves books poetry and making paper cranes to
April
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
I voluntarily read and reviewed this book.

Paper Cranes is the newest young adult book by Jordan Ford. It is a bit different than her other titles. It is very much a fairy tale twist type book mixed together with contemporary teenage aspects and serious subject matter. This story is about a teenager named Tristan who moves into a new town and befriends his neighbor, Helena, who never leaves her house. What starts out as friendship slowly turns into a first love for them both. When Helena's mother
Rachel Barnard
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
“I know it must seem odd sometimes like we’ve never really fit into this world. But there’s magic in words and storytelling. I’d be lost without books, Tristan. They’ve kept me afloat through my darkest days. Escaping into another world full of love, enchantment…heroes. It keeps me breathing.” (Kindle Locations 1450-1452).

Tristan decided to live with his dad when his parents divorced because his mom had someone to come home to and his dad did not. Tristan feels more and more burdened taking care
Juliana Ignácio
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jordan Ford's books never disappoint. This is another well written story and full of surprises. Sometimes I had to hold my breath waiting for the events.
Tristan is dealing with the pain of his parents' divorce by closing himself to the world, but when he needs to retrieve a lost baseball, he climbs a tower and has a big surprise.
Helena lives isolated in her "castle" because of her mother's paranoia, which doesn't allow her to leave home and have contact with the outside world.
When Tristan and He
Kimmie
Well hell! That book needs a warning label. I had
to wait a few moments before writing this review
in reference to this book. It is so artfully crafted
and written. But I did go through half a box of
tissues. It was one hell of an emotional ride.

This is Helena’s and Tristan's story. This book is
told solely from his point of view. Tristan has
been through a rough patch with his parents’
divorce. He is in a funk and so is his dad. Till he
climbs a tower to retrieve a ball and that is when
he find
Leanne ~ Tales From The Heart
This book was different from others I've read by this author. The way it started I had reservations, I love this author's work but thought oh what if I can't get into it. The story soon evolved and my heart was captured.
Poor Tristan is a teen boy who is barely surviving his parent's divorce. New school, haunted house next door and no friends..he's a moody boy but what teen isn't.
A modern day twist on Rapunzel. Who is that girl in the tower? Why doesn't she come outside? I thought she was a ghost
Bri Lind
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book! It is such a great spin on a classic story. My heart melted and smiled all throughout this story of Tristen and Helena. They fight for wach other despite their differences and outside influence, only to have tragedy strike them. I enjoyed Helena and her way of seeing things. I loved so many ideas within Paper Cranes such as not holding onto things and letting it go, not holding grudges. It really bring to heart that you have to be true to yourself and live in the mome ...more
Nana Pickrell
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
I was privileged enough to receive a copy of this book from the author for an honest review.

This was definitely a departure from Ms. Ford's other books. Here we have Tristan and Helena in a twisted tale of Rapunzel. While I did have a somewhat hard time getting into the book, it didn't take me long to love Tristan. As I was reading this I was thinking back on another book like this, A Thousand Boy Kisses by Tillie Cole. While it was a great book, I hated the ending and it seemed to me this one w
Gina Cihacz
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I voluntarily reviewed this ARC Book. This was a beautiful book. A wonderful retelling of Rapunzel. I laughed, I cried and I dreamed. This is a must read and already has a home in my library. Jordan Ford's books keep getting better and better.

Tristan Parker is looking for something to bring meaning to his life after his parent's bitter split and divorce. He chooses his Father and moves away from his familiar home to a new home in a small town. Helena Thompson is a ghost. At least that is what e
Amy Yoder
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it
I love Jordan's books. This one I loved as well. She created a world to get lost in. She shows real pain and true joy.

Tristan is a strong male lead. His struggle of his mom's betrayal and loyalty to his dad show how great his love is. His pain and anger shine through and his need for the joy Helena has is so evident.

Helena's love is her shining feature. Her mother's illness hasn't stopped her from having a joyous life. She's just the light Tristan needs.

This book was a good read for a rainy d
Sonia
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A really wonderful and touching story. Such a different take on a fairy tale. I enjoyed reading it very much and really got attached to the characters... If you need a cute <3 heartwarming <3 fun <3 story this is the book for you!!!
Megan
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A sweet, beautiful fairytale without the fairies. I loved the poetic story with all its ups and downs. With its magical wonder and eveyday plights. Keeping me entranced and holding on til the emotional end with all its magnificent feelings.
Kym  Young
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this sweet modern day story with the fairy tale twist. Tristan and Helena take you on an emotional rollercoaster during their journey. There are twists and turns along the way, some will leave you smile and some will pull on your heart strings and leave you feeling emotional. These beautifully written characters are likeable and well written, their story line was developed and the story will stay with you long after the last page.

** I voluntarily reviewed an arc of this sweet bo
Kelly Mccurdy
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Paper Cranes is a beautiful book. It's taken me all week to write this review because I just don't think that my review will do it justice. Jordan has written a book that will make you laugh, cry, smile, and hug your kindle.

I know that I cried in this book. Jordan put twists and surprises in this book that I don't think that I could have ever seen coming. Just like all of Jordan's book, you will love this book.
Sophie Koufes
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Paper Cranes is a enchanting retelling of the classic fairytale Rapunzel. A modern day fairytale with a twist that is magical. I love the reference to Paper Cranes & poetic quotes throughout the novel. A bewitching tale with a well interwoven plot twist & ravishing characters that will keep you spellbinded. A sweet tale sure to tug at your heart that you will need a tissue box. Perfect afternoon read with tea. I volunteerly reviewed an advanced reading copy of this copy.
Jackie
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lovely retelling of a great classic, Rapunzel. Need a box of tissues to get through the story and I was thrilled to be able to help review. Anything by this fantastic author is super for me.
Jordan Ford is a young adult romance author.

“Writing high school romances brings me the greatest joy. My heart bubbles, my insides zing, and I am at my happiest when immersed in a great scene with characters who have become real to me.”

Her first series, The Big Play Novels, is based on a high school football team in the fictional town of Nelson, Idaho.

"I've totally fallen in love with this team a