Start by marking “The Portal (Junction 2020, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Portal (Junction 2020, #1)

The Portal

(Junction 2020 #1)

This is an updated cover edition of ISBN-10: 1453730877/ISBN-13: 978-1453730874.

New Year's Eve, 2019.

Mari Stratton attends a New Year's Eve party with her brother Randall and her hearing-impaired friend Lauren. A collecting game begins in the dark fields outside prior to the celebration countdown. When midnight strikes, Mari finds herself and four others propelled by a vio
Paperback, Second Edition, 246 pages
Published June 22nd 2017 by Amazon Digital Services (first published August 23rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Portal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Portal

Start your review of The Portal (Junction 2020, #1)
Brenda
As Mari Stratton and her friend Lauren were searching the darkness for the golden balls they needed to find before midnight, the backyard shed seemed a good place to look. It was New Year’s Eve 2019 and the excitement was high at the noisy party they were attending. When they were joined by Stephanie, Tony and Mari’s brother Randall the five of them were alarmed when the bell sounded to warn it was nearing midnight. But as midnight struck, a wind storm of massive proportions surrounded them. Sud ...more
Melody Delgado
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This YA story was an action-packed page turner from the very first moment. Mari and her friends attend a New Years Eve party in 2019 going on 2020. While on a treasure hunt, these five find themselves in a shed and are then transported to another land. The story unfolds as Mari tries to figure out where they are and how to return home. I've never read a story like this before. It was extremely unique and imaginative with subtle ways Mari grows and changes along her journey.
Kirsti Call
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Super creative and fun adventure story!
Carol Riggs
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
This is my light fantasy novel for young adults (and adults!) that I’ve always had a soft spot for. I wrote the original version of book 1 in the 1990s, revised and released it for a few friends and my mom in 2010, and now have revised it again in 2017. It used to be third person (Mari, she) and now it’s first person (I, me). I also changed it from past tense to present, which I find more immediate and gripping. The book is probably technically more of a novella, being under 55,000 words (246 pa ...more
Patrick Hodges
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shifters, young-adult
Rating: 3.5/5

The story:

At the stroke of midnight on New Year’s Eve, 2019, adolescents Mari, her brother Randall, her best friend Lauren, her frenemy Stefanie, and Stefanie’s boyfriend Tony are sucked into a portal and transported to a world full of danger. They find they all bear the same brand, a mysterious symbol, on their arms. Mari soon discovers, much to her dismay, that the landscape of this world, and some of the nasties that inhabit it, are very familiar… namely, because they are creatur
Kimberly
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Portal (Junction 2020) is an exciting fast-paced fantasy with just the right amount of darkness and light. Set in a fascinating world, the story has a unique plotline, twists and turns, adventure, action, and a strong main character. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and look forward to the sequel.
Dave Higgins
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Mixing an intriguing variation on characters mysteriously transported to another world with an immediately recognisable portrayal of teenage brittleness, Riggs provides a decidedly young adult tale on the border of science-fiction and fantasy.

Mari Stratton doesn’t especially like Stephanie, but doesn’t dislike her enough to miss her New Year’s Eve Party. However, what starts as the typical mix of teenage posturing and petty squabbles turns serious when Mari, Stephanie, and several other party go
Hope
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it
** I received a copy from the author in exchange for an honest review. **

First Impression: Traveling through time or dimensions is an intriguing prospect.

Characters: I found the characters to be a bit flat in this first installment. Although younger readers might relate to the young characters in The Portal, older readers may struggle with the lack of development.

World Building: Riggs shines once she pulls you from the real world into her imagination. This is the second book I've read, and she
Linda Hamonou
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the best book from Carol Riggs I have read so far. It took me a while to read it because I was still thinking too much of the book I read before it, so that has nothing to do with the book itself.
This is a very nice story an a YA/teenager story a lot more interesting in the way of character relationship than most book in the genre that I have read recently. Here you have no stupid love triangle, nobody is confused about their feelings and there is no real love at first sight craziness,
Lillian
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyably Creepy!

After reading a heavy WWII story, I needed a fun and easy read. This was it! The Portal will be enjoyable for anyone from young tween to old granny. It was very fast-paced with lots of action.

I was intrigued by the idea of a world in another dimension created by our own nightmares. Who hasn’t had those monster dreams in their youth? Imagine waking up and finding your scariest fear right outside your door! Imagine running through a dark forest, fighting your way through the beas
Derik
Dec 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. The story is unique and feels like a different take on the Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland. I think the book starts off really strong and had me interested in reading more about the characters and the world they ended up in, but I was less interested in the story as it progressed.

The story might be written for a younger audience which for be why I struggled with some of the plot. I often pictured the main character as being 1
Liesl Takle
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine waking up to find your most terrifying nightmares have become your reality. This is the case for Mari and her unlikely group of unintentional travelling companions.

I had a little difficulty getting into the flow of this story, due I think to my wanting to get a bit deeper into understanding the characters at the start instead of just going with it to learn as the story went along. That and my dislike for a couple of the characters to begin with.

Once I settled in though I found it to be a
Eli Celata
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun, fast-paced book great for a vacation beach-read. The main character, Mari, is straight-forward and manages to inspire trust and secret-sharing from the people she meets in her adventures to protect herself and her friends.

Written in present tense, the quick dialogue and whimsical decision-making keeps the plot light even when the author delves into dark territory. There were times when I yearned for more meaty descriptions, but in keeping the focus narrowed and streamlined, I appreciated
Talia
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
The idea of the story is interesting. The whole plot of being stuck in a nightmare landscape is compelling.

However, execution was lacking. The prose seems juvenile and the characters are just stereotypes. Not worth it.
Randy Harmelink
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-portals
Nothing momentous. Nothing memorable. Not a lot of character development. But I enjoyed the story and found it easy to read.
Melissa Levine
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Maria
This was intense.

I loved the idea of one's dream-and-nightmare world. The science fiction premise was mostly easy to understand, with a simple setting and story and a good bit of adventure and loads of action. There were quite a few things that were unclear to me, though - such as(view spoiler)
Iryna Combs
Cheryl Bradley
Amy

• Her Mercenary Harem: A Steamy Reverse Harem Paranormal Romance
  • Burn The Witch
  • Donn's Hill (The Soul Searchers Mysteries #1)
  • The Gauloi: An Earth Saga Story
  • A Frozen Heart (A Blood War Novel, #1)
  • Miracle on Chance Avenue (Love on Chance Avenue #2)
  • The Eidolons of Myrefall (Guardians of the Deep Book 1)
  • Slaves of Dardekum: The Lightbringer, Book 1
  • After Days
  • The Reclaiming: A Novella
  • The Gift
  • Dragon King Charlie (The Dragon Mage, #3)
  • Angel Falls
  • Navigating the Stars (Sentinels of the Galaxy #1)
  • Reclaiming Honor (The Way of Legend #1)
  • SINKHOLE: A Speculative Fiction Short Story
  • Accidental Time Travelers: Laughter, fun and adventures all packed into a 30 minute read!
  • Scent of Cedar (The Friendly Beasts of Faraday Book 1)
I'm a writer of Young Adult fiction who lives in the beautiful, green state of Oregon. My sci-fi debut, THE BODY INSTITUTE, explores themes of body image and identity. Cool news!--this book is under development for a TV series with NBC/Uni and producer Lane Shefter Bishop. Dreamscape has also produced an audiobook that released April 21, 2020.

My other books are BOTTLED, THE LYING PLANET, and the J

Junction 2020 (5 books)
  • Nightmare Realization (Junction 2020, #2)
  • Silent Scream (Junction 2020, #3)
  • Future Terrors (Junction 2020, #4)
  • Vanishing Fears (Junction 2020, #5)