Start by marking “City Affairs: My Quest for Love” as Want to Read:
City Affairs: My Quest for Love

City Affairs: My Quest for Love

"THIS BOOK REIGNITED MY LOVE FOR A GOOD ROMANCE"

An epic tale of heartbreak, despair, hope and second chances, inspired by a real life story. Felicité has a reasonably successful career, working in London’s Canary Wharf financial district; and is a faithful, doting wife. Her husband is an author and serial cheater. After catching him cheating for the umpteenth time, she se
Published May 15th 2017 by Revival Media

To ask other readers questions about City Affairs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City Affairs

Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
Made it thru. Conflicting thoughts. 2.5 Stars
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This book was definitely an interesting read. There were two places from the start where I truly thought I would just give up and not continue. There are multiple issues with the structure of sentences and the flow of the story, especially in the beginning.

However, I did persevere and I am glad I did. I think it’s interesting to look at different points of view and writing talents by authors.

Because this book is written by
Lena (The Printed Girl)
I was warned beforehand that I shouldn’t read this book when I’m easily offended by fiction involving adultery or even BDSM, so I knew what I was walking into. After said that, I don’t mind those things happening in a book IF it is written in a believable manner. And that was definitely NOT the case in this particular book. Without going into much detail (I’m trying to avoid spoiling too much) One of the characters makes out with the boyfriend of a good friend of hers right after learning that s ...more
Eva
Sep 23, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I requested this book on Netgalley in return for an honest review

Nope. Really bad. Stupid characters, awful dialogue and I did not care about anybody or anything. Whoops.... I wanted to like it, I can enjoy a sexy/bdsm story at certain moments but this didn't do it for me. I found the main character to be annoying, someone should smash her hard so she wakes up and see the real world. I'm all for a bit of rough sex, but I dislike it when I have to read about someone (man or woman) who's saying n
Jeanette
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-readers
I was pleased to have won this book in a recent Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

I was born and raised in Greater London, not that far from the Canary Wharf. Mind you, the Canary Wharf was nothing like it is now when I was born. I moved away from London in 1981.

I really enjoyed reading this novel and whilst I rarely write what a story is about for fear of spoiling for others, I do recommend it.

Sara
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reviews PublishedProfessional Reader

This was a very interesting and exciting read. The characters were very well written. I wish that the epilogue was a little longer. Maybe there will be a follow up book! That would be awesome. There was a lot of chemistry with Lissie and Pierre that started right from the beginning all the way to the end. I would recommend this book to others that enjoy a darker romance novel.
Jane Willis
Sep 10, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've given this one star because no stars isn't an option. Looking at other reviews, this seems to be a Marmite book, everyone loves it or hates it. At least it isn't provoking indifference, which I'm sure is what an author fears most!
Although I'm not keen on reading books with a lot of BDSM in them, I've read a few that have had good characters and plausible stories and enjoyed them despite the sex rather than because of it, but the characters in this book seemed to be about nothing BUT sex. Ev
Jessica
This book is SOOOO BORING! For the publisher to email me to make sure I was ok reading this book because there was going to be sexual "triggers", I was expecting something more excited & a lot more provocative. I also had issues with all the different point of views. Not everyone needs their own pov, it's unnecessary. Also, this book is taken place in & around London. So it was written with British slang & a lot of British/European words that I just confused me, which in turn was tak ...more
Kathryn  CLiK Book Blog
I requested this book from Netgalley

Though not my usual read or genre, this book had an interesting premise to it.

The characters showed real humanity but I was a little disappointed with the story overall. Some of the chapters could have been better written as they seemed to drag on and didn't really add to the overall story.

The addition of a disclaimer for the triggers was good but the story really didn't contain anything that would have been upsetting to me. In general, an enjoyable read, tho
Ayekah
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well... the writing was great. Let me start off on the right foot here. Seb King writes a good story.
I just couldn't like the characters, neither of them. Felicite didn't have a backbone, Pierre was kind of a slick kitty and the BDSM I felt was rather benign. Having said that the warnings didn't bother me, I've read much darker and detailed and this was neither.

The book did have good flow and the backstory was tight. I do understand why he wrote them the way he did, but Felicite just came off a
Heather 123
Oct 16, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF

I never give up on a book this quick, but I literally couldn't get past the 3rd page! It needs some serious editing and proofreading before being published because the writing turned me off from the first page. Incomplete sentences were a huge issue.

I almost felt like this book was translated using a free online service from a different language and no one checked to make sure it made sense in English.
DawnMarie  Carpintero
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
5 Stars

I received this book for my honest review.

This is the first book that I have read by this author and I was reserved going into this book because of the freshness and that this really isn't my type of normal read but this author brought so much to the table when I opened the ebook.

I admit it didn't catch me at first page and a lot never do but this book by page four had me wanting to read more but at the same time not read more. It's kind of a catch for me when reading books that I agree w
Connie
Jul 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC of this book. Admittedly, I did not finish reading it. It's apparent that an editor was not involved in the writing process. The book is infested with malapropism, wordiness, and spelling errors. The subject matter is unpalatable. Every character i encountered (including Lissie, a "hopeless romantic") could not possibly be more dysfunctional. Do not feed your mind with this book - it festers with domestic abuse, adultery, and self-disrespect.
BCD Book Review - Rachel & Jen
Amount of sex 4.5 / 5
How explicit 4.5 / 5
BDSM/Fetish 5 / 5
Story 3.5 / 5
Overall: 3.5 / 5
Review:
In some ways, this is three books with one conclusion. I say this as first the book is written in two different styles and second, the characters' purpose/plot shifts. Parts one and two are written in 1st person perspective and switches between several characters. Meanwhile, the third part is only in Felicité's perspective. The plot of the book is written in three different ways. The first part of the
Emma
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What can I say? I found this book disturbing but I wanted to keep an open mind so I decided to finish the book. It reflects, I think the darker side of BDSM. Felicite/Lissie a beautiful looking woman who had confidence in her career but not in herself. I still can not get over the fad that the plot was based on a true story. It is amazing what the rich and powerful can do to manipulate someone else's life. In Lissie case Pierre influenced her job without her knowing. He kept her from getting let ...more
Sara
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This wasn’t a winner for me.

Aware of the warnings before I requested this book I was expecting heart pounding moments, moments that made my heart hurt, basically I expected to feel something whilst reading this book. I found myself skim reading which I hate doing when I know the author has put time and effort into writing a book, but it just couldn’t be helped. The story or characters didn’t grip me at all unfortunately. The excessive POVs were just that, excessive and at times confusing. There
Tehteh
So, this galley came with a ton of warnings abour sensitive content, I had to give mt personal guarantee that the content would not offend me or something. I never got to be shocked at all.
I unfortunately only got to read about half of this book, and it didn't do much for me.
The beginning builds extremely slowly, there are like six different POVs and I was almost shouting at my tablet for the author to "get on with it already!", because I didn't see the point in so many barely related POVs.
It g
Liefie
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To me London is the most romantic and fascinating city in the world. I definitely favour books set in its streets. City Affairs does it justice by giving us a glimpse of its inner workings, from the magnificance of the Bank of England, to fast-paced Canary Wharf and gentry-laden Mayfair with its exclusive members-only establishments.

All of this as a backdrop to a gripping tale of second chances (another favourite!). I was immediately hooked by poor Lissie's utter devastation and downward spiral
Shona
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given this novel via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This novel has me torn and I find reviewing it with a definite star rating difficult.

I adored the writing style and descriptive way the personalities of the characters were played out, drawing me into the life of Felicite, appreciating her nature of mistrust and desire for control to be taken out of her hands. Pierre was the perfect dominant personality, knew what he wanted, and went for it.

Where my torn feelings come in is th
Mrs
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm afraid I really didn't enjoy or connect with this book, it wasn't the BDSM scenes or bad language etc it was because there wasn't a character in the book I could honestly say that was at all likeable so I just ended rushing through the book as I didn't care in the least what happened to them. The ending was also rather strange not sure what actually happened and it was no clearer from the epilogue.
That said I see a lot of reviewers have given it 5 stars so for this book it's obviously a matt
Kathy
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
City Affairs: My Quest for Love is by British author Seb King. Set in London, our heroine Felicite has discovered her husband was cheating on her. Again. I was disappointed she even wanted to give him another chance, and yet all the while she seemed looking for just the right man. When Pierre set his sights on her and begins wooing her, she is enthralled. The story is very British and is obviously written as such that the average American reading the book might wonder what certain words and phra ...more
K. Nilsson
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
Seb King is a new-to-me author. I liked the title and the cover. The blurb needs work, but that is because the book needs work.

What I liked about the book was that it has potential. The characters were flawed enough to entice me to read further.

What bothered me about the book was the plot. It had none. It meandered.

My advice would be to submit the book to an editor who does more than address sentence structure. And then try to relaunch it.
Emma bramley
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This is a very exciting story. The characters have amazing chemistry between them. This is a darker romance story. I was hooked from the first page. I just couldn't put this book down. This book flows really well from chapter to chapter and the back story was well written. I cant wait to read more from this author in the future.

Highly recommended

I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy of this book
www.obsessedbookreviews.blogspot.co.uk
Linda K
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm sorry but yes.....50 shades of ...something. It could be because the whole bdsm is not my scene but even then a good story line would be appreciated. It just seemed like losing control and just doing it to say you did it but not even liking it? It's a circle in square. I get it that world has no boundaries but there is discipline which to my understanding from reading other bdsm books control was key to heightened the pleasure. Not in this book. sorry
Sharon Jarvis
While the first half of the novel was a little slow and probably could have been edited to tighten it up, the second half was totally hot!! The author certainly knows how to depict sexual scenes that are enticing and provocative. Well done. If you didn’t like 50 shades of grey don’t go here but if you did it is better!! The characters were diverse and added colour to the story.

Thank you to Netgalley and author for a ebook copy to read and review.
Beq
Jul 14, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as a goodreads giveaway, and honestly, it's just boring. None of the characters have a spark to them, and there are far too many narrative voices, all of which read exactly the same. Dialogue is awkward and bland, and there are too many chunks of exposition; give me a character's background if it's relevant to the story, and organically, not just in several paragraphs at the beginning of their unnecessary narration.
Jes
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley-arc
I started this book back in Sept 2017, made it half way and quit. I hated to DNF this book so the first of 2018, I picked it back up; I hate to say this - I forced myself to finish reading City Affairs. The book has a good base but it was too wordy in places and I didn't connect with the characters. I love finding new authors and the blurb is what made me want to read this book but I am sad to say this, the book wasn't as good as I was hoping for.
Sharathkumar
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story is interesting. It is about adultery, BDSM and more about the woman finding her identity. The story is all about the transformation of the protagonist, Felicité and her internal conflicts she faces with having to make challenging decisions.

It was a great read and I liked the characters in the book.
Leith Devine
I have mixed feelings about this book. On one hand, it was an "interesting" read; on the other hand, I thought the sex was overdone. There was a plot, but it's overshadowed by the BDSM.

Thanks to Revival Media and NetGalley for the ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Helga Nel
Feb 13, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I requested this book on Netgalley in return for an honest review

I am all for a good romance book, but this one just did not do it for me. I really struggled and eventually called is quits. Sorry!! maybe next book.
RiriRomantiques
Not for me at all.
Poor writing and uninteresting characters.
This book is NOT romance and should not be categorized as one.
Seb was born and raised in the environs of London. After a decade in investment banking, punctuated by a healthy dose of international travel (lived in Damascus, Zurich and Cairo) he found his real passion in life is writing.

Conversant in five languages, Seb is a sucker for learning about different cultures and peoples. His dream is to become a celebrated author, travelling the world to engage wit