Start by marking “The Devil's Poetry” as Want to Read:
The Devil's Poetry

The Devil's Poetry

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  70 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Alternate Cover Edition can be found here.

Questions are dangerous but answers can be deadly.
Callie’s world will be lost to war – unless she can unlock the magic of an ancient manuscript. She and her friends will be sent to the front line. Many of them won’t come back. When a secret order tells her she can bring peace by reading from a book, it seems an easy solution - too
Published June 13th 2017 by Kindle Press

To ask other readers questions about The Devil's Poetry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil's Poetry

Montzalee Wittmann
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Devil's Poetry by Louise Cole is a Kindle Scout book I won and is very intriguing. I love a good fantasy that is mixed with suspense and an urban setting. This is fast paced thriller that is pretty good for the most part. I had a few issues with her being true to her characters but that maybe just me. About half way through the book it lost focus a bit then got back on track. I really enjoyed it overall, except the character thing.
Kirsty 📚📖❤️
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, horror

Ok before we do the review I have a huge bone to pick with the synopsis of book 2 which is at the back of this. HUGE spoiler so if you buy this book and really like it - stop before you get to that page. It really could've been done worded just that bit differently. I don't understand the need to stick a great big plot point so visibly for all to see. It just spoils it. Now there's no air of suspense for what happens next.

Anyway... this book. I really enjoyed it. It lulls you with its charm. It
Raksha R
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 / 5 stars

“I won’t fight for one side or the other. I fight for them all”

Let me just start by saying that I was pleasantly surprised with The Devil’s Poetry. I received a Kindle ARC of this book and loved it! This book is definitely more powerful than it seems which is why I was so surprised. It follows Callie, a seventeen year old girl who is given a very powerful book, which apparently has the power to restore peace in her world. At the time, World War 3 is going on, taking young males fr
Samira
Seventeen year old Callie's world is at the brink of WWIII. She and her friends, Gavin and Amber, watch as their classmates over the age of 18 join the mandatory conscription in case the peace talks between India and Pakistan fails, as England prepares for a nuclear war. While Callie's world is falling apart, she is still a normal teenager with somewhat normal teen problems. Her dad acts like she doesn't exist, the boy she spent the summer with is ignoring her, and every piece of technology she ...more
Alyson Larrabee
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Louise Cole writes like a dream (sometimes a nightmare, but in a good way!). I loved this book, especially the heart of the story, told by the 17-year-old protagonist, Callie. Her voice seamlessly transformed from typical teenage whininess or boy-crush angst to timeless, fluidly omniscient philosophizing. Her words, and the images they created bloomed beautifully in my mind's ear and my imagination. Okay, all this flowery, poetic stuff aside, the plot flows like a waterfall and rumbles downhill ...more
Susan Angela Wallace
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
The devil's poetry by Louise Cole.
Callie’s world will be lost to war – unless she can unlock the magic of an ancient manuscript. She and her friends are being drafted and many of them won’t come back. When a secret order tells her she can bring peace just by reading from a book, it seems an easy solution – perhaps too easy. But how do you make the right decision when no one will tell you the truth? Callie soon finds herself hunted, trapped between desperate allies and diabolical enemies.
There ar
OBC Mini
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Where to start with this book?!

I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!!

Now i could leave my review like that but i wont!!

Now don’t let the title put you off, it isn’t a poetry book or a book about the devil but a beautiful story about Callie. Her life has never been easy, loosing her Mother at a young age, felling like she never fits it and a Father that’s very distant with her on an emotional level.

Callie has always found comfort in her books, much to her Father’s dislike, so when a book that's been thrown into
debbie humphries
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Greatly entertaining

I liked the style of writing very much, the story was different and not entirely explained but there's more in the series so I guess we just have to wait. Again , very well written.
Lisa
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book had war and destruction and put the weight of the world on a seventeen year old's shoulders. it was a terrifying world! It was a great book and I am glad I took the time to read it.
Gary Bonn
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First I'd better say that the author is a colleague. Notwithstanding this I cherish this book for so many reasons. In particular the ending which is as near to aerobic reading as is possible to get. Louise is an exceptional writer and brilliance shines from her work. I am so glad to have this book in my collection. Whatever age you are, sit back and be sucked into a whirlwind adventure.
Richard Sutton
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Louise Cole's new book introduces the reader to the story of a young woman coming to terms with her own demons as well as those lurking all around her in the world she thinks she knows. Callie is a very bright, very inquisitive, book-devouring seventeen year old. She's as conflicted by the emotions she can handle as she is by those she can't. Yet. Thrown unexpectedly into a terrifying chain of events, Callie must confront who she really is. The development of the other characters that she intera ...more
Kirsty Stanley
Can reading save the world?

I loved the opening paragraph which was so evocative.

“I’d never realized war could be so quiet. The National Service letters had whispered through our doors that morning. It seemed such thin pages should have torn under the strain of such a heavy message.”

Initially because of this I thought this was going to be an historical novel - I’d read The synopsis ages before - but then the horror dawned. It was set now. In the days of Facebook and terrorism - National Service
Manon
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
*2.5 Stars*

I was provided an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I won’t describe the plot because I’m not sure I’d be able to and I think it may be one of those books where it’s better to jump in without knowing anything.

I liked this story at first. The concept seemed original, the world was pretty well described, I was into it.
Unfortunately, it didn’t last. I felt like the writing got messier and messier and it completely lost me.
I also couldn’t connect with any of the characte
GSMC Book Review Podcast
In many ways The Devil's Poetry follows fairly standard themes for Young Adult books: Callie lives (and has a complicated relationship) with just her father after the death of her mother when she was six. She knows nothing of being a reader until seemingly random circumstances thrust her into a life she didn't know existed. And there is a very handsome young man that comes with that new life. But things aren't always what they seem, and you soon realize, along with Callie, that her new role as a ...more
Bex
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a really interesting concept that intrigued me from the start – it was very original, and I really liked how it combined fantasy with a war in a semi-contemporary setting (as in, Callie had been living in a normal world). I also loved reading Callie’s point of view as she found out more about the book and the Order, and how her confidence visibly grew.

The Devil’s Poetry is told from multiple POVs, and almost every perspective possible was shown. As a war is taking place, it was really i
Catherine Cavendish
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Devil's Poetry is set in a dystopian near-present with the world on the brink of World War III. Louise Cole has created a suspenseful, exciting read at the heart of which is an ancient book. But this is no ordinary antiquity. It possesses powers to change the course of history - but only in the right hands. Needless to say, there is an evil group - in this case the Cadiveri - who are hellbent on insuring that global catastrophe takes place. Wrapped up in all this is a girl, Callie, and her c ...more
Susan Roebuck
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing

The world tips on the edge of WWIII. Sounds somewhat familiar and how I wish someone like the main character, Callie, were here, in our wold, with her gift of Reading. Very imaginative book with a host of characters that keep the reader on the edge of his/her seat wondering what's coming next. The evil Cadaveri (people...demons? who are bent on creating havoc and war - remind you of anybody?) know that the only thing standing between them and their plans for chaos is seventeen year old Callie.
Th
Cassandra **The Bibliophagist**
Callie thought she lived an ordinary, complicate life. It just became much more difficult when she is pulled into a secret order. How does she know what she needs to do will benefit the world rather than hurt them? Through her adventures and discovery about herself and the order, she falls for Jace, her guardian.

I enjoyed this story. It was unique and engaging, making me want to continue reading. The relationships between various characters seem believable, not forced. The epilogue makes me anx
Gretel
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
One of the things I liked best about The Devil's Poetry was the futuristic historical details (such as the draft) that provided context and insight into the state of the world. The range of political players were interesting, at time even quite unique. The book felt clearly young-adult, so at times the teen-ness of the characters could be irksome, but overall the story was full of themes for all ages.
Rebecca
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-scout
This story was more powerful than it first appears. The writing takes you deep into the world of free choice and tackles a lot of moral issues. Is the sacrifice of one acceptable for the salvation of many? Although magic is involved in this story, the message was still clear about how the masses can be easily swayed by the words of a charismatic speaker. It's well-written and an engaging story, and well worth reading.

I received a copy of this book through the Kindle Scout program.
Misty
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
One girl can really change the world

Overall I really enjoyed this book. I was invested in the characters and the fact that a book holds that much power was a really interesting concept. Though I have to admit I'm still not quite sure why that is. The caldevari (spl) are a bit of a mystery to me still as well especially after reading the ending and finding out what happened to Alec. I can't wait to read the next installment and finding d out what happens.
Nicola Parkinson
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is not my usual genre to read but I absolutely loved it! It only took me 2 days to read, goes to show how much I didn't put it down, I also read in the car, which I don't usually do as it gives me a headache bit I needed to see what happened.
I really enjoyed the story line, found the characters relatable, had a couple of smirks and NOOO! moments which is always a good sign.
Loved the fact it was based in Yorkshire (Yorkshire girl here 😄) only thing I'd say, and I did tweet the author, remo
Charlotte Burns
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Callie’s generation are being conscripted. Tensions are building and World War III is on the horizon. Callie is given a book by a stranger in a club and told to keep it, but not read it. Can a true Reader ever resist that temptation? Callie hides books from her father all the time, but this book is different: this book is powerful, and it seems Callie is the only one who can harness its power to save the world. But at what price? She is being hunted by the Cadaveri, with their terrifying white e ...more
Louise Bodle
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
3 chapters in and this book was unputdownable. I fell in love with Callie and thoroughly enjoyed this incredible journey of self realisation that Louise took her on in this book. Callie is truly unaware of the powers she possesses and as we learn more about her history, her character grows magnificently. Her strong relationships with characters around her are phenomenal to read and I truly enjoyed getting to know Jace along with Callie (I am rooting for these guys!)

This books touches on all emo
Amy
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted here: https://amiiiesbooks.wordpress.com/20...

Hello and welcome to my first ever review as part of a blog tour! I would like to thank Faye Rogers and Louise Cole for letting me participate in the blog tour for this book. And so on with my thoughts…

I really enjoyed reading this book. It has a very unique concept and story that I was just into from the start. I loved the idea of the order and a book full of poetry that might somehow be able to help bring peace to our world.

Louise
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Ok so ignore this review - I'm the author. What do I know? It's your views that count. I just haven't found a way of adding my books to my page without rating them. It's not like I can say I haven't read them, right?
Louise x
Megan Hillery
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Nothing was abnormal about Callie's love for books. However, the fact that reading from one particular powerful book was to determine the fate of the world certainly rang peculiar...

Young people left, right and centre were being called up by the National Service to fight in the ongoing oil wars and conflicts in the Middle East. There was nothing Callie and her friends could do about it. That was until a secret order sought her out and informed her that reading from an ancient manuscript will b
Danielle
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
(I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review.)

In the midst of World War III and watching her classmates carted off to war, Callie discovers that she’s got a magical power: a connection to an ancient text. When she reads the strange poetry, she can project her feelings of peace to anyone who hears it… and with enough practice, perhaps she can save the world. Now, everyone wants to control her and angst ensues.

2.5 stars.

This book is pret
Liam
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had no idea what to expect from this book when I started it. I didn't even know what genre it was. However, Louise's beautiful writing quickly drew me into her story. It turns out that it's set in a near-future, where wars are breaking out around the world, conscription is back and causing turmoil in a Yorkshire high school, and the fate of the world rests on some upcoming peace talks in London. It's a really interesting setting and one we don't see very often in YA. Not quite contemporary, b ...more
OrchardBookClub
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*Review by Nicola*

Where to start with this book?!

I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!!

Now i could leave my review like that but i wont!!

Callie has always found comfort in her books, much to her Father’s dislike, so when a book thats
« previous 1 3 next »
Coffee Break - YA...: SOAR - 2018 May - The Devil's Poetry by Louise Cole 2 14 May 03, 2018 01:36PM
Urban Fantasy: Kindle Monthly Deal 1 7 Apr 04, 2018 02:21AM
Louise Cole read English at Oxford and hasn't stopped reading since. She’s an award-winning journalist, a former business magazine editor and director of a media agency. But she is most alive either reading or writing stories. Her family mocks her for telling stories to her dogs. Her fiction includes short stories, young adult thrillers, and other stuff which is still cooking.
More about Louise Cole

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • The Rules of Magic
    $11.99 $4.99
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)