Start by marking “Women Within” as Want to Read:
Women Within

Women Within

This multi-generational novel presents three women whose paths cross at the Lindell Retirement Home. Constance Maynard, fierce, independent and proud, reflects on her long life promoting women's rights through her career as a professor of history. Eunice Fitch, the perfect caregiver, is often unlucky in love, yet even in middle age refuses to give up searching for the perf ...more
Published September 7th 2017 by Black Rose Writing

To ask other readers questions about Women Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Women Within

Start your review of Women Within
Michele Benchouk
Apr 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
I could not get into this book. It goes through the lives of three women in different generations, but their lives are so hard. None of the female characters are particularly likable, and the men they get involved with were pretty pathetic. In addition, there is so much detail that the story gets bogged down and doesn't really flow like a book you get pulled into.

The best thing about this book was the tapestry, its history, and its working by several women -- a shared testimony. I also love nee
Corinne Bennett
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's a multigenerational book about three women, whose paths converge at Lindell Retirement Home. Constance is a fierce, independent woman, who is also a mother but never married. The novel begins with her reflects on her long life promoting women's rights through her career as a professor and the barriers she encountered in the field of academics as a woman. Eunice is a caregiver at Lindell, who has never experienced true, lasting love, but doesn't want to give up on the possibility. Through te ...more
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
FirstLine ~ The Lindell Retirement Home was lovely.

This book is so rich in characters that you will immediately be sucked in. In a setting that builds upon the characters and their unlikely connection, Parrish writes a story that every woman will be able to relate to. You will be moved by this story and it will stay with you long after you are fished with this book.
Lex Nuttall
Fascinating read from different angles.

This book definitely strays away from my normal genres of reading but that being said I enjoyed it enough to get through it in a day. It was fascinating to read about life as women from different times in both life and society - however with the underlying theme of feminism and being a strong, smart, independent and fiercely capable woman, in what can be a difficult world staying the overall same. It was great to read of the career successions of some char
Joyce
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read the Kindle version, but don't see that as an option here.

5 stars

What a wonderful book!

Constance Maynard lives in a retirement home. She is fierce, independent and outspoken. She is a woman after my own heart. (When I get to be her age, if I am fortunate, I want to be like her.)

Her caregivers are Sam Clark and Eunice Fitch. Sam is what is euphemistically said to be “a big girl.” ((Oh, I hate that term.) Eunice is kindly and generous, but seems to be rather doomed at love – or so she belie
Debbie Shoulders
May 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literary-fiction
Parrish explores the uniqueness of woman focusing on three characters whose lives (and choices) have left them mostly alone. Constance, a history professor chose work and embroidery, independent of men until she retires to assisted living. There is she is taken care of by Eunice and Sam. While Eunice is good at taking care of others, she is less so with herself, often taken in by manipulation. Sam, told she was a child of rape, is scorned by her grandparents and take refuge in poetry.

Parrish ma
Tenisia Davis
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love books like this!

I love Books that really take time for you to get to know the characters.
The Lindell retirement community is where we start with three women Constance, Eunice and Sam.
The women are - Constance is an elderly woman, her care taker Eunice and Sam.
Constance is a retired feminist professor. Eunice is a natural caregiver who has bad taste in men and Sam is a “big boned” insightful young woman.
Heather
Oct 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I don’t have much to say on this book. It was just ok. It tells the story following three women who are connected by one single place (2 work there and one is a resident). I thought he first story was well written and put together, but then it just went kind of off track. I didn’t find a connection. It was an easy read, but I do not recommend it.
Kathleen Kane
Three strong women who were not likable people. The men in their lives were not likable either. The only thing that held these 3 women together was the tapestry and the retirement home. The storyline was rather weak in my opinion.
Mary
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a story about 3 women who meet in a Retirement home. This is not the kind of book you finish and say that was a inspiring read. The book overall is depressing, one women is intelligent with no social skills, another makes extremely poor choices in boyfriends and the last women has low self esteem. Just not a celebration of women.
M.M. Schreier
Nov 29, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
This is the worst kind of Women’s Lit in my opinion. On the surface it’s about gender roles and empowerment and complicated women who overcome adversity, but when you interpret the subtext it reinforces a whole bunch of societal programming.

Constance is strong, independent, and continuously bucks gender roles—to the point that she specifically chooses to adopt her younger half-sister and claim her as daughter in a time where single motherhood is a stigma in order to thumb her nose at society. Ye
Carmen Blankenship
Women Within by Leigh Parrish is one of the books that take you by surprise. It's not a heart pounding grab by the throat novel but a novel rich in characters.

Women Within is is about three very different women at the Lindell Retirement Home. Constance, who is in her eighties, reflects back on her life as a scholar and fierce advocate of women and women's rights. This is all at a time in history when strong women were still consist threat.

Sam and Eunice both work at the retirement home. We fo
Jenna
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book

My mother is 92 and I recently toured a few retirement communities like the one in this book, and the writer described them perfectly — down to the smell of the carpet!

The characters were absolutely believable and very different from each other and that was the gist of the story. From a woman in her 90s, to a woman in her 50s, to a woman in her 40s, to a woman in her 20s, she covered every generation beautifully. How she wove those characters together and crafted a story about th
Shannon
May 03, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Yeah...not great. Had we parsed out all the references and discussion of sex...that for no apparent reason had to be in there, it may have some reasonable plot points. The only ending that was any fun to read was Sam's. The rest are just sad. Not every book has a happy ending, I get it, but the astronomical levels of hopeless stupidity and stuck-in-life problems were hard to get through. And for as many people that feel stuck in their lives, many more make choices to change life for themselves.
Paula Shoup
Oct 21, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It just ended

Liked it all the way through. . Then I turned a page and it said "The end" kind of disappointing
Ryley (Ryley Reads)
This book was less of a strongly-plotted novel about women and feminism, and more a character study of women over the decades. I didn't necessarily dislike this difference, but I found it a bit slow and lacking in a plot or direction. Ultimately, I wasn't able to finish this book.

Thanks so much to Book Sparks for sending me a copy of this book for an honest review, as always, all opinions are my own.

As I mentioned, this book follows a bunch of women from the turn of the century onward. From an e
Mary Latela
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Anne Leigh Parrish and her Stunning Exploration of Three Women
Reviewed by Mary E. Latela @LatelaMary

Anne Leigh Parrish is the brilliant story-teller who brings the reader into the depths of deep emotion, particularly regret and bitterness. Women Within is her latest book, a gem woven together on many levels, and nicely connected by a mysterious tapestry sewn by at least four distinctive hands, some stitches even and tight, others ragged and mismatched. Constance, Meredith, and Sam live or work a
Lynda Kelly
This was a tricky one to score for me. The story was an interesting one but sort of petered out rather than ended and it did have some pretty crashing errors within its pages !
The three women featured were all very disparate and had led very different types of lifestyles, therefore. If I had to select one word to describe each it would be as follows: Constance-funny, Eunice-horny and Sam-liar. This made Constance my particular favourite of this trio, she had some terrific lines that had me chuck
Debi Lantzer
Aug 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: frc2017
As part of the BookSparks book tours last year, I was provided with several books to read and share with my readers.  Today's post is about Women Within, a novel by Anne Leigh Parrish. For an unknown reason, I had failed to post this review before, so after reading it today, I wanted to make sure and get it out there.  I had never previously heard of this author, but as it turns out, she has written several other books and at the moment, I have another book from this same author in my "TBR" (to ...more
Joyce McKay
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed the book. Constance, Eunice, and Sam are three women who were developed very well in the book. They all had dysfunctional families that they eventually managed to overcome. Their lives were below par until they awoke to their own strengths. They all had to fight society's limits on women, to a certain extent. They were all a generation apart, but met in the Lindell assisted living facility, where Constance was forced into a life of dependence by her weakening body. Sam and Eun ...more
Wilma
Oct 16, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was depressing. It was about a nursing home, some of its residents, some of its employees. The first woman introduced was Constance who was raised in an unusual way. Her mother went mad and was sent to an institution. Her father sent her to live with her Grandmother. Her mother got out of the institution and got remarried and had another child. The mother went mad again and gave the child to Constance to raise and Constance was a single parent under scrutiny by those around her.

Next we
Carol
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: already-read
I had high hopes for this book and started to like the first character, Catherine, but she just faded out and there was Eunice. Huh?
Maybe there will be more to connect them later, but I was too bored to bother to find out. I skimmed the descriptive yet non-essential stuff, which was a lot.
The book never really took off, though I read just over half of it.
Thank you NetGalley for the chance to read an advance copy in exchange for an honest opinion.The best I can say is that I liked the cover
Loretta
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This book started out fine, but as it shifted the focus on each of the other two main characters I got a little lost. Too many people to keep track of and it was confusing to keep all the stories straight as they continued to interact with each other. First time to read this author and I got this book free on BookBubs.
Nancy Moody
A story of 3 women whose only connection is the retirement home. I found the women weak, and their choices in men poor. The tapestry was poorly explored and I thought it would have played a larger plot line weaving these women together but sadly no. Would not be a book I recommend, read it for book club .
Anjana
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have to qualify that my rating does not directly reflect on the quality of the book, just on my reaction to it. Please read the whole review on my blog
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it
I received this book free from the publisher via netgalley.com in exchange for an honest review.

Please see my full reviews available at www.coffeeandtrainspotting.wordpress.com.

For requesting arcs and books to review, please visit www.netgalley.com.
Linda
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmmmmm

This book was different than I expected. The first section was tough to follow, but served as valuable foundation for the remainder of the book. It makes me think of the old adage of six degrees of separation.
Hanau
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

I really enjoyed reading this book. The ending leaves loose ties which I normally don’t like all that much. I’ll make an exception here though. Kinda reminds me of a Jim Jarmush movie ending leaving everything open, too.
All in all a great read
Miriam
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was about three different women, whose lives were supposed to be connected. However, the book felt unorganized, the ending was abrupt, and there were so many grammatical errors. This book left much to be desired.

• The Apple of My Eye
  • Unexpected (Bittersweet Book 2)
  • The Port Elspeth Jewelry Making Club
  • The Secrets Mothers Keep
  • Chancey Jobs (Chancey #4)
  • The Book Club
  • The Letter (Comfort Crossing #3)
  • The Last Lost Girl
  • The Beekeeper of New York: From Yemen to the US, Yusra Khaldun must fight to save her brother.
  • The Road Home (The Letter #2)
  • Coming Home
  • The Bend in Redwood Road (Missing Pieces, #1)
  • Frozen Butterflies
  • Breakfast at the Beach House Hotel (Beach House Hotel #1)
  • Appearances
  • Christmas at the Lakeside Resort (Lakeside Resort #1)
  • Casa Clara