Start by marking “Product Leadership: How Top Product Managers Launch Awesome Products and Build Successful Teams” as Want to Read:

In today’s lightning-fast technology world, good product management is critical to maintaining a competitive advantage. Yet, managing human beings and navigating complex product roadmaps is no easy task, and it’s rare to find a product leader who can steward a digital product from concept to launch without a couple of major hiccups. Why do some product leaders succeed whi

Published May 12th 2017 by O'Reilly Media

To ask other readers questions about Product Leadership, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Product Leadership

Matt Henry
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was so excited for this book, but it turned out to be an absolute chore to read. The valuable insights were few and far between, the tone was lifeless, the structure was bizarre with lots of repetition, quotations from practitioners felt randomly thrown in.

I'm lucky to live near the Pluralsight headquarters and have heard Nate Walkingshaw and other Pluralsight PMs speak about their processes. I got so much more insight from a one hour talk than from this entire book. There also is a level of
Teddy Zetterlund
Product Leadership is the perfect companion to Marty Cagan's book Inspired (a PMs bible, read it if you haven't already). People new to product leadership will undoubtedly learn a lot from Product Leadership, and experienced product leaders will be inspired and learn a great deal as well.
Ethan
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book on product that leaves out the jargon and fine details of what that really matters in the longer run. It is more of a career companion code book that you go back to refer to again to ensure you're roughly on the right track.
Amrit
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
What inspired me to read this book was interviews with more than 100 product managers and how they built awesome products. Unfortunately, this book didn’t live up to my expectation. More details down below but first some pros of the book.

This book is good compilation of what product management is all about. It even takes it a step further to explain product leadership and share how it’s different from product management. If one is starting out in product management, this can be a good beginning
Dan Kalbasi
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has many valuable notes and talks! It reviewed various teams and companies and interviewed with their leaders. Another part of the book is going through the basic of product management and partially UX.

However, this book can be much better and deeper. For instance, it covers the metrics that product managers need to use in their product performance evaluation, but the details are not deep enough to give you a practical ground. This gets annoying sometimes while you reading the chapter
Vince Nguyen
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book on product leadership and product management. Insightful, practical tips and guidelines drawn from industry leaders.

The book genuinely inspired me to learn more about PM and seek out challenges to take it to the next level - Product Leadership!
Hossein Nasrabadi
کورس مدیریت محصول. برای ایجاد بیگ پیکچر در ذهن pm
Stefan Ritter
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ABC of product management.
Justohidalgo
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essay-business
There are some bad reviews of this book. I understand some of the reasons, like the constant repetition of some concepts that are quite clear to understand. But the ones related to how these concepts can be already found in other places are not relevant to me. The main issue of this book is that the title and blurb generates some expectations that are not fully covered. Many of the chapters summarize what a product manager is. The ones that focus on actual product leadership are actually descrip ...more
Kelly
Dec 03, 2018 added it
Shelves: abandoned
Didn't finish.
Alex Watson
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The mark of a successful career advice/strategy book is how many pages I've folded the corner of to come back to later and there's lots in this volume on running Digital Product teams. Wide range of interviews and examples, my only criticism would be (and this based on personal need) wanting more on working enterprise/traditional orgs.
Petr Augustin
Mar 16, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
For some reason, this book just didn't jived with me.
One is definitely the overall quality of the paperback, structure and these weird black and white low quality photos?? And other one is the quality of writing, mental models this book is trying to create and its substance. Compare to something like https://strategyzer.com/books/value-p..., which oozes character and thoughful content.

Half of Product Leadership is just absolutely basic observations on the industry, it seems more like a book for
Lance Willett
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful overview of what it means to build software products and teams.

First key point: the best product leaders tell a story about the product in the context of a customer’s success.

Second key point: "Product Leads" are leaders and not just managers.

Product Lead’s job is not to constantly manage or direct, but lead the team by clearly articulating the goals. They provide context (via customers, market landscape).

I ❤ this! "Dream in years; plan in months; evaluate in weeks; ship daily." —DJ Pa
Benjamin Eins
Unfortunately this book didn’t offer any interesting insights to me. The content is focused on the absolute basics of product management and general leadership. There’s a lot of repetition. Many of the quotes by product leaders aren’t very valuable, as they too are focused on the very basics of product leadership.

I didn’t find interesting real world examples and anecdotes that I had hoped for. The book describes product leadership in a very abstract way. That results in abstract and shallow rec
David Mytton
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it
I find it annoying how some howto-style books spend a lot of time explaining what they're going to tell you in the next section and chapters. It feels like it's dumbing down the content to a) tell you what you're about to be told; b) tell you; c) summarise what they just told you. That might be fine in a speech or verbal talk but it's tedious and unnecessary in print. At least for me. Maybe it does work though because this is an O'Reilly book and they are a successful publisher of this kind of c ...more
Ismail Elshareef
A good book that sums up what matters most in product leadership. Contrary to some beliefs, hard skills are not at the top of the list. The most critical attributes of a product leader are:

– Highly Collaborative: They know how to work effectively with others to move the company's missions forward. Their high level of empathy makes them great at understanding what motivates others and tapping into that to align everyone on the mission at hand.

Solid Communicator: Leaders, especially product lead
Yoric
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I identify myself about leadership not being "officially recognized as part of the job" but being necessary.

One idea jumps from the introduction:
Ultimately, the job of the manager or leader is to get results through other people.

I always felt somewhat uncomfortable in an organization, being either "a programmer" or "a lead developer" just because of that.
My mindset is people who do the hard work should deserve the reward, so why is that the "leader" position is higher than the "doer"?
I felt unco
Logan
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly, there are still not many books on the important no-longer-burgeoning field of Product Management. I’ve previously reviewed the popular Marty Cagan book “Inspired”, which is a decent “Product Management 101” introduction to the field. Product Leadership is a very solid “PM 201” level course, this time focusing much more on the “management” aspect than the tactics of product development. A lot of the content in this short book is interviews with product managers about their experienc ...more
Kaspars Purmalietis
Waste of time.
An easy read, but at the end of the day did not feel that I took anything from this book. Also, the structure of the book did not make any sense and seemed like the author just tried to put together quotes of 100 PMs in one text without a clear narrative or goal what he wanted to achieve with the book.
However, if you are new to the discipline, you will probably find some useful information and maybe the book will even be enjoyable.
Mike Siegel
This book did a good job of identifying the balances one must seek as a Product Manager. The book incorporates a good chunk of real-world examples but I would have liked more examples and less theory.

The biggest takeaway for me was their lists of questions to ask in certain scenarios. The book did a good job defining the qualities to look for in a Product Leader with loads of practical advice on how to hire.
Chad
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A practical reference

Simple and practical advice with many best practices for directions product review. I would love to find more detail on tactical execution practices, could be hissed inside of case studies. All in all, I can tell that will be referencing this content in the future, today is a good sign if value creation.
Andrius Baranauskas
Apr 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Good to start with, although raw around the edges — as the discipline itself

It is great to see one of the first, if not the first, books on Product Leadership! Being certainly useful and extensive, it also feels a bit raw and unprocessed, and quite a difficult read. It could benefit from more drive and positivity, better organisation and less repetition.
David Gattig
I have expected a lot more from this book and the overall hype around it. The writing was boring and the concepts got explained over and over again... and again. Maybe this book has something interesting for someone completely new to Product Management, at the same time I could not glean anything too insightful from this book.

Jc
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked the interview format used throughout the book. This gave me insights into how other companies are tackling product management issues. The book is well structured and certainly gives a lot of food for thought. I wouldn’t recommend this book if you are new to product management as the examples given will resonate better if you have experienced some of the situations yourself.
Kyle Russell
Jun 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Some great insights derived from real-world experience throughout, but large chunks felt poorly written. Either obvious typos or odd use of quotes that don't seem to fit with the point being made in the context around it.
Istvan Szabo
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work-related
An exhaustive overview of how to ensemble a high performing product team and how to tackle all the challenges that might come along with building out new products. A def must-read book for everyone involved in digital product management.
Philipp Cannons
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book with a lot of stories from real Product leaders

Goes through many useful frameworks and does a nice overview of things to think about leading a product team. Recommend taking notes to go apply pieces as you read.
Matthew Tringali
The values and principles outlined in this book were timely and poignant at this point in my product career. While at times it felt like some topics were explored in great detail at the expense of others, all in all I've pulled many insights from this book and expect to return to it regularly.
Arturo Hernández
In general, it has a lot of interesting content however because of the writing format it doesn’t really get deep into any of the topics it covers. At the end it feels more like an overall introduction to Product Management, which is nice but not what I was expecting from this book.
Sloan
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good insight into leadership as it pertains to working primarily in the scope of software products. Still some great nuggets of wisdom pertaining to general leadership as well and I definitely recommend it for anyone that currently leads or is learning to lead.
  • Product Management in Practice: A Real-World Guide to the Key Connective Role of the 21st Century
  • The Practitioner's Guide to Product Management
  • Intercom on Product Management
  • Design a Better Business: New Tools, Skills, and Mindset for Strategy and Innovation
  • The Elements of User Onboarding
  • Discussing Design: Improving Communication and Collaboration through Critique
  • Build Better Products
  • Kanban and Scrum - Making the Most of Both
  • Data-Driven Design: Improving User Experience with A/B Testing
  • Lean Customer Development (Hardcover Version): Building Products Your Customers Will Buy
  • Strategize: Product Strategy and Product Roadmap Practices for the Digital Age
  • Service Design for Business: A Practical Guide to Optimizing the Customer Experience
  • The Product Manager's Desk Reference
  • The Lean Product Playbook: How to Innovate with Minimum Viable Products and Rapid Customer Feedback
  • Radical Focus: Achieving Your Most Important Goals with Objectives and Key Results
  • Why We Fail: Learning From Experience Design Failures
  • Sense and Respond: How Successful Organizations Listen to Customers and Create New Products Continuously
  • Microinteractions: Designing with Details
“What is common in high-performance teams is that they are cross-functional, collocated, and autonomous.” 0 likes
“In order to set your team up for success as it scales, it’s important to consider what the core product and design principles for your organization are — and articulate them clearly so everyone in the team understands them and can apply them in their work.” 0 likes