Start by marking “A Fighting Chance” as Want to Read:
A Fighting Chance

A Fighting Chance

(Free At Last #1)

When Mackenzie meets Carter, it’s love at first sight. They have a blissful year together before trouble arrives. In the form of Carter’s two teenage sons.

When Hunter and Carey decide they want to live with their father in California, Mackenzie knows right away that she’s in for a tough time. And she couldn’t be more right.

The two boys show her on a daily basis that she’
Published June 5th 2017

To ask other readers questions about A Fighting Chance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fighting Chance

Start your review of A Fighting Chance
XxTainaxX Curvy and Nerdy
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars. This was not what I expected at all and as someone who has read thousands of books, it's not an easy task to be surprised. Mac is a young woman in love with an older man and challenged by his two sons. I don't want to delve too much into the plot because it would taint the experience. The story edges some very fine lines and even tentatively crosses over them but at that point, the characters were developed so well that I wasn't exactly turned off to what was starting to happen. Witho ...more
Betül
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, arc, romance, reviewed
**ARC provided in exchange for an honest review**

description

This book really took a whole 'nother direction than what I expected. In the beginning when I realized this, I didn't know if I would end up liking it or not. However, it did keep me interested until the end, and there was no moment that I wanted to put it down. However, in my opinion a lot of information was missing. Especially in how Mac and Carter's relationship actually developed. Their love didn't feel real because of this. So I did
Tania's Book Blog
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was just wow. I voluntarily accepted an advanced reader copy of this book.

This story started out pretty rough. Mac is 25 years old and dating Carter a man almost twice her age. He has two teenage sons, Hunter who is 17 and Carey who is 15. When they first meet her they dislike her BUT Hunter secretly thought she was hot. They were rude to her especially Carey until one night things shifted and they started respecting her. They both realized that Mac cared more about them than their own pare
Marika
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I don't now what I expected but this was not in my sight at all lol..mostly because I went in blind, as I mostly do..crazy I know, but I am so happy I did that..the story took me on an emotional journey..not only for Mac's past, the relationship between Mac and Carter, but for the teenagers as well.
As I said, quite interesting and completely unexpected..waiting fo more ;)
Jennifer Pierson
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I believe that this is the first book that I've read by Annie Stone, (I promise I'm not too challenged, just read a ton of books like a beast), and I did enjoy it, not to mention I wouldn't have guessed the journey I was taken on from the blurb. In no way is that bad, just wanted to state it for the record, as it was a good surprise. In a nutshell, Mackenzie is 25 years old when she meets, and falls for the much older Carter. Even as age is just a number (that's my story and I'm sticking with it ...more
Tami
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Phewww boy! I thought we were going to have a Mrs. Robinson moment, nearly one but she held it together. I kept turning the pages. I have never read a story like this. I was captivated.

Janna ♥ I'm A Sweet And Sassy Book Whore ♥
rating and review to come after tour
Lexi Totti
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
Reviews from the Heart (Kimberly Anne)
Holy Hotness What A Story!!!

Every once in awhile, I'll get a story that I can't just simply read...I Devour It!! This is one of those stories!! I felt that it started as a Hate Story, moved onto a Love Story, then became a story about sacrifice and growing up! I Loved Everything About It!!

Mackenzie had a hard life until she met and fell in love with Carter. He was everything she was looking for in a man. He was kind, sensitive but, he was older than her and had 2 teenage sons. She had worked ver
S-n-M Book Blog - Steph
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow!! Annie Stone is a new-to-me author and she hooks you right from the beginning!

I wasn't expecting this AT. ALL!

You just need to read this to understand what I'm saying! Don't let the synopsis or blurb scare you away. Get. This. Book.
Stephanie
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was truly not what I was expecting at all. I could not put this one down. The description should not deter you from one-clicking on this one! Can't wait to get my hands on the follow up for this book!

Note, I did receive an advanced copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Annie Stone
Jun 01, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
COMING SOON! JUNE, 5th!

Subscribe, if you don't want to miss anything: http://www.subscribepage.com/afightin...
Konny
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Fighting Chance by Annie Stone is the first book in a three book series.

Meet Mackenzie - Mac, and Hunter.
Mac meets Carter Tilman and they have this crazy insta-chemistry. He´s a successful, much older than her business man.
Fast forward. One year later they are happy, very happy. And then his teenage sons move in with them. Mac and the boys gets thrown in cold water. This can´t go well. They despise her and want her gone.
Hunter, he´s the older brother at 17, is an angry, shallow and crude teen
Coco.V
Sep 17, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
💝 FREE on Amazon today (1/5/2018)! 💝

Blurb:

The two boys show her on a daily basis that she’s not good enough for their dad. In fact, they make it quite clear their lives would
Alexandra
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book ever ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
Ja Bo Sa
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
only two words: absolutely perfect! ❤
Angela
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was graciously provided an ARC by the author for an honest review

This is a first time reading anything by Annie Stone and as usual I was very surprised. Her writing style is very similar to a suspense or thriller author, but with a very sultry feel to it. Forbidden Romances are my thing! I cannot get enough of them, but when it is a "mother figure" for her "child" I get a little grossed out. Stone did an amazing job of making us forget that these characters had any other relationship that a fe
Lauren
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have never read a book by Annie stone before but as soon as I saw the blurb for this book I had to read it! Firstly I have a question! Is this book a standalone or well there be a next book?! Surely it cannot be a standalone.
I will openly admit that for the first half of the book I hated Hunter and Carey. I thought they were evil spoilt brats. I will even openly admit that I shouted curse words at my kindle because of them. I was shouting at Mackenzie to stand up for herself! My hatred toward
Linda Barrett
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Annie Stone is a new author to me and what a fantastic book I chose to get into her writing.
This book had me hooked from the beginning and it definitely wasn't what I expected it to be.
I absolutely loved reading this book and I can't believe the author had me hating someone one minute and then routing for them the next.
It had me screaming at my kindle in the end as I need to know what happens next.
Please tell me they will be another book?
I'm just hoping I won't have to wait too long for the next
S
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I would like to start by saying this books was just not for me. I'm not sure if some would consider this a spoiler, but the Hero of this book was not who I expected it to be. I didn't really connect with any of the characters. The Hero seemed to struggle with being carefree versus being a mature adult. Carter didn't seem like the person I would expect Makenzie to be with; at times I questioned their connection. I did like Makenzie, but while there was empathy for what she went through there was ...more
Paula D
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book shocked me totally different than the blurb implies. Mackenzie meets Carter and they hit it off instantly then a year goes by and Mac meets Carters sons Hunter and Carey. Why does Hunter hate Mac so much? Wow just wow you get a whiplash when the surprise happens but I'm actually loving it. This book is very hard to review without giving anything away. Love comes in many different ways but maybe you fall for the wrong person all along? I can't wait to read the rest of this series it's j ...more
Babs
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
This book took a different direction then I was expecting.

Mackenzie is is love with an older man and his two sons challenge her in every way possible. Carey and Hunter make her life hell and was happy when she stood up to them. We learn they went through some challenges themselves and their relationship with Max was nice to watch.

Hunter and Max became close after she tells him about her own childhood but she keeps it simple.

I did want to know how Carter and Max’s relationship came about.

We will
Wendy Livingstone
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first time I have read any of this author’s work, but what an introduction it is. Mac and Carter are in a relationship, but when his sons come to live with them, this changes the dynamics, and has Mac questioning the direction her life is going. It is difficult to write this review without giving away spoilers, so all I can say it, give this one a go!
I hope that there is a 2nd book after this, as I was hooked and intrigued throughout. Looking forward to reading more from this author;
Angala Fox
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book. This was a great older man/young woman book. I loved that this story had suspense and intrigue. Definitely a must read.
sheila
Oct 15, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Can not finish this

I thought it might have been good but I won't know if it gets better. I quit reading after the comments about ugly fat girls being grateful for any kind of attention.
Rebecca Austin
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-companies
Mackenzie Hall is 25 and a therapist at a local gym for abused women. A year ago she entered into a relationship with Carter Tilman, 43, the head of Tilman Financial Group and she has just recently moved in with him.

When a visit from his sons, Hunter, 19, and Carey, 15 surprises the couple they are shocked when the boys announce they went to stay. But the boys resentment for Mackenzie is apparent and she becomes a person she herself doesn't recognize - afraid to rock the boat.

When Carter begins
Jen
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, owned, arc
I received an advanced reader copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

A Fighting Chance by Annie Stone is a compelling look at love and relationships. I do want to start by saying that A Fighting Chance is the first book in a series, and this book contains neither a nice and neat ending nor a happily-ever-after. A lot happened in this book, and I commend the author for all the topics she brought up in this first part of the total story, but if you want your story contained in one book
Sara Strand
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Let me start by saying I went from one end of the book loving spectrum to the complete other end during this book. I started it thinking it was going to be weird, that I was going to hate it. By chapter five I wasn't sure if I was even going to finish it or if it was worth finishing. Once I got 3/4 of the way in I was on the edge of my seat because I didn't want it to end. I loved this book THAT much.

It centers around Mackenzie (known as Mac) and Carter, they've been together for a little over
SBee Reviews
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Review Rating: 5.0 out of 5 stars.

Loved this story, there is a lot going on here!

I received an Advance Reader Copy for A Fighting Chance (Part I) written by Annie Stone and voluntarily reviewed this book. This is my first read from this author, and I have to say that I wish Part II was still available because I have been hooked.

There is a whole lot going on in this book. Carter Tilman only had eyes for Mackenzie "Mac" Hall at a party at his new headquarters of the Tilman Finance Group. She was j
Denise Clare
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three and a half stars

Honestly, this book suprised me. First, I was almost smashing my kindle to the wall because I could just soooo not stand Hunter and Carey's personality and TOTAL state of assholeness. (and by the way, I always take it as a huge hit that (even after careful selection of what I read) it seems that I cannot avoid the suffering through a book's first 50-100 pages without cringing at the immaturity or harmful ignorance of some characters.)

But!

How Annie Stone has managed to brin
« previous 1 3 next »

• Don't Let Go (The Invisibles, #1)
  • It All Started with a Lima Bean (Intertwined Hearts, #1)
  • The Best Man
  • Billionaire BOSS: Secret Baby
  • Protecting the Heiress (The Heiress Duet #1)
  • Angel Fire (Angel Fire #1)
  • Given (Star Breed, #1)
  • Summer With My Dad's Best Friend
  • The Passionate One (Billionaire Bride Pact)
  • Alien Conquest (Alien Invasion, #1)
  • Alien Prisoner (Alien Invasion, #2)
  • The Ward of Wyvern (Dragon Mage #1)
  • Hunger (Hordesmen, #1)
  • Terror (Hordesmen, #2)
  • Dreikx (Hordesmen #5)
  • Sidone (Hordesmen, #3)
  • Fever (Hordesmen #4)
  • Fire in His Chaos (Fireblood Dragon, #8)
I'm a contemporary romance writer, who likes her men tattooed, her women independent and her coffee strong.

My stories are all about love, but some are of the romantic kind, some of the sad kind and others of the very steamy kind. So if you can stand drama, foul language and some sex, you came to the right place.

Love, Annie