Start by marking “Aliens” as Want to Read:
Aliens

Aliens (Alien #2)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  3,987 Ratings  ·  99 Reviews
Having survived one encounter with an alien, Ripley is persuaded to return to the planet where her crew found the alien ship. A colony has been established there, but suddenly all contact with the settlers has been lost. Accompanied by marines, Ripley is going to find out why.
Published June 1st 1986 by Warner Books Inc (Mm) (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Aliens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aliens

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
If this has been an original novel, and the movie came from it, then it would have been a five star easy. Since it's a novelization of an existing movie that's superior, it gets a three star rating for different reasons.

First, the story most of us know and love is great written down. Reading it, I envisioned the actors in their roles, the score powerfully pushing through the action and run scenes, the beautiful, uncomfortable design of the ship and aliens. Written down it lost a little impact, e
Tosh
Jan 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Is this going to be a stand-up fight, sir, or another bug-hunt?

Not as good as the movie, though it stayed very close to the script. Some of the dialogues were more lengthy, a few scenes were added, and the foul language was cut out. Also, missing Bishop's knife trick, and didn't quite capture Hudson's charming personality.
Hollowman
Mar 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this one few weeks before seeing the film ... in '86. Foster says it's his fave write of the three he did for the trilogy. Probably agree ... he had gotten good experience and momentum from his 70s/early 80s projects ... so was in the sweet-spot/golden-age of his career.

Clear, no-bullshit, super-fluid writing style--not dragged out or over-long ... can be read in a few hours. But not dumbed down for the movie-only crowd.

It has some of Cameron's Director Cut version scenes. Shares Cameron's
Wendy
Aliens is one of my favourite movies so this book had a lot to live up to, with the potential to utterly fail me. As you can see from those five stars, it did just fiiiine. I'm trying to read more novelizations, which means Alan Dean Foster is going to appear often on my list. I should never have doubted him. He is skilled at capturing every element that makes me love the movies, with the added bonus of the inner monologues and varied perspectives that this format grants. My only complaint stems ...more
DNF with Jack Mack
Really good audiobook. I'm guessing Foster liked Dante's hellacious scenes.
Jim Lay
A serviceable novelization of the screenplay but with little else to offer. And for whatever reason, all profanity was removed from the dialogue, which made it feel kind of sanitized and weak. This was most evident in the climax with Ripley's famous line "Get away from her, you bitch!" Somehow changing that to "Get away from her, you!" comes across as weak sauce.
Andrew
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Back in the 80s and 90s it seemed that so many films were being turned in to novelisations - sometimes to my amusement even when they started out as books themselves - (for example Piers Anthony's Total Recall retelling the Philip K Dick short story). And it seems that Mr Alan Dean Foster was at the forefront of that moment. Now at the time I used to think that he was just mercilessly cashing in on the fame of the film to sell the book - and not very good books at that.

Okay as in so many times I
Jules G
Apr 15, 2008 rated it liked it
I don't remember the first time I read this book or when I purchased it, but it's one of those novels that you hold onto from childhood and the teenage years. The cover is lost along with the summary page, but it still retains the title page. Like a worn stuffed animal, the tattered and well-read remains will never come off my shelf. If you have a similar book on your shelf, perhaps you'll understand my review is a bit sentimental.

I saw the movie when I was a kid. Of course, it was edited and on
Anjali
I've been a fan of the Alien series of films for a long time, though this is the first time I've read a book based on the series.

I enjoyed reading this book because it does something that I find most tie-in books do - it added something extra to the story with little snippets of information that wasn't in the film.

However, I knocked a star off my rating for two reasons:

1. I found the sanitisation of the language - the removal of the swearing - particularly grating; especially the removal of 'b**
Alex
Aliens, the film is up there as one of the best sequels ever made IMHO.

However, one of the reasons that film is so spectacular are the amazing action scenes with humans vs aliens. Sadly, this was the letdown with this novel - I found the action did not transfer very well into the written word. I found it hard to quite picture everything that was going on during the fights and action scenes.

Otherwise, this is still a great story and the interactions and dialogue between the characters particularl
Andrea
Aliens is my favourite movie. The series itself is what I think of as 'accidentally feminist' (the role of Ripley was written for a man) and when Alien proved a success, the script for a main female character immediately took us to a motherhood plot.

But still, I really like this movie, and when someone mentioned this novelisation, written from an early draft of the script, I couldn't resist.

Hard to imagine I'd be spoiling anyone here, but if you somehow haven't yet seen Aliens, stop reading, go
Flint
Jul 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I can't highly recommend this book enough for those of you who can't get enough of the 1986 movie. The novelization contains all sorts of goodies like extra dialogue, alternate scenes (ie. Burke cocooned) and extended scenes, as well as an overall better insight into some of the characters and better explanations for various little things which was skimmed over in the film, especially why Newt is able to navigate the air ducts so expertly or why she calls Riply, "mommy" at the end. This is basic ...more
Nicola
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dieser Teil der Buch-Trilogie hat mir besser gefallen, was auch daran liegt, dass die Voraussetzungen einer Buchumsetzung einfacher waren, als noch bei Alien. Trotzdem kommt auch dieses Buch bei weitem nicht an die filmische Vorlage heran, als Lustmacher auf den Film und als Lesestoff für nebenbei taugt es aber allemal.
Patrick Kozlowski
The book I read was Aliens by Alan Dean Foster. This novel was a moderate size, 247 pages. This is a sequel to the original book Alien. It follows after the events of the first book. The character, Ellen Ripley ends up going back to the unknown planet from the first book for multiple reasons. This was a great sequel that surpassed the first book.
The book had a good variety of characters, so you couldn’t forget them throughout the storyline. You have the marines who each have their own personalit
D.L. Denham
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Novelizations of movies are often jutted to the back of the bookshelf after one reading. Reviewers are critical, normally arguing that it is just an attempt to make money off a popular film franchise, and at times they do so justly. Yet, some novelizations often tell the story in a way film simply cannot commute: taking the reader into the minds of the characters. And for this, Alan Dean Foster is a force to be reckoned with. Written originally in 1986, Foster respectfully adds to the Alien univ ...more
Glen
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book brought back vivid memories of my first viewing in a run down theatre in Waterton Lake Alberta with my cousin Spencer Todd. I was young then and scared shitless of James Cameron's masterpiece that would become one of my most beloved scifi epics eclipsing even the likes of Star Wars and Star Trek.
The concept of the Colonial Marines always struck a cord with me and still does, Foster's adaptation is well done adding the full story to the novel which was not seen i theaters which
Rob Damon
Jan 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I saw this book in a local bookshop back in the early months of 1986 I had no idea a new film had been made so I snatched it up and read it straight away.

As I had only seen the first film and knew how creepy it was I took all of that into this book. The experience of reading this before seeing the action epic James Cameron put on screen made me imagine a more creepy film. I kept wondering how on Earth they were going to pull it off. As it turned out, although I have come to appreciate the f
Anadyr21
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you've seen the movie, you already know it's a great story. Generally, books are much better, and offer more insight, than the movie that it's adapted from. This book might be an exception, only because the extended edition of the movie adds the stuff that's already in the books.

As a whole, it does offer a bit more on each Marine, who in the movie, we barely catch their name. I actually wish the author would have gone more overboard into each character, though, I understand that it would have
Eya
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As hard as it is to believe, I've just finished reading this book in English for the first time. Don't get me wrong, I read it for the first time more than twenty years ago but that was a translated edition. I've been reading books in English for about the same number of years but never found my way back to this one until now.

And guess what, it's still as good as it was all those years ago. Until this book, I was growing up on a diet of classics and local literature, pretty much the only stuff
Kain
Jul 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge fan of the Aliens franchise and despite having watched the movie often enough to quote the script verbatim, I picked this novel up to give it a read. While it remains fairly faithful to the movie and expands upon some interesting points, the author's apparent aversion to swear words made many of the iconic lines from the movie fall flat and left me far less thrilled than the cinematic version.
Binny Bond
Oct 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again a book based on a movie just doesn't have the depth that an original novel has. That said, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and found it most gripping in all the right places.
They messed up Ripley's "Get away from her you bitch" line.
Also the Alien descriptions were a little thin. You need to have seen the movie.
Erik
Decent adaptation of a classic film. It's based off an early script, so there a few differences to the final original cut of the film. Some of these scenes were filmed but not included, others played out differently. Doesn't capture the action and suspense nearly as well as the movie does. I've never read a book based off a film that was as good as actually watching it.
Timothy Boyd
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alan Dean Foster is one of my top 5 favorite writers. He does an excellent job of adapting the screen play into a great SiFi story. The tons of little details he adds really make you feel like you are getting the backstory on things. Very recommended
Stu
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What do I say.....read this to shreds growing up, bought the ebook for 6 bucks, still love it. If you like the movie, you'll like this
Mark Palmer
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent.
Jay
Mar 18, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After I read this book, I "wrote the game" as a graphical-text based adventure. Another 300 hours of programming I'll never get back.
Adrian
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read it many times with interest when I was a young squirt. I'm rating it as if I was 13 ;)
Beau Johnston
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, sci-fi
An easy read for a familiar story (I've watched the movie dozens of times - it's my favorite of the ALIENS franchise).

It's nice to read a story where common-sense trumps brawn.
Mike
This is one of those rare occurances where the movie is better than the book.
Lyn Mckenzie
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aliens has always been my favourite of the aliens films so I couldn't wait to read this book and is amazing how many details that you realise that you missed once you read the book!

I love how this author has written this, these books definitely pull you into the story and you see it in very vivid details in your minds eye.

I would definitely highly recommend this book, especially if you are a fan of the films!!!
new radio show Alien Chronicles:Fact or Fiction 1 5 Apr 03, 2013 09:28PM
scary? 2 8 Nov 03, 2012 03:13AM
  • Aliens: Earth Hive
  • Alien Resurrection
  • Aliens: Genocide (Aliens)
  • Total Recall
  • Terminator 2: Judgment Day
  • Alien: Out of the Shadows (Canonical Alien trilogy, #1)
  • Aliens: Alien Harvest
  • Aliens: Berserker
  • Aliens: Music of the Spears (Aliens)
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • First Contact (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Aliens Colonial Marines Technical Manual
  • Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (Indiana Jones #1)
  • Aliens: Steel Egg
  • Close Encounters Of The Third Kind
  • Alien: Sea of Sorrows (Canonical Alien trilogy, #2)
  • Whirlwind (The X-Files)
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...

Alien (5 books)
  • Alien
  • Alien³
  • Alien Resurrection
  • Alien: Covenant - The Official Movie Novelization

“Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure." (Ellen Ripley)” 4 likes
“You always think you can make it up to somebody—later, you know.’ She took a deep breath. ‘But now I never can. I never can.” 1 likes