Start by marking “Wolkenschloss” as Want to Read:
Wolkenschloss

Wolkenschloss

Ein magischer Ort in den Wolken. Eine Heldin, die ein bisschen zu neugierig ist. Und das Abenteuer ihres Lebens. Der neue Roman von Bestsellerautorin Kerstin Gier.

Hoch oben in den Schweizer Bergen liegt das Wolkenschloss, ein altehrwürdiges Grandhotel, das seine Glanzzeiten längst hinter sich hat. Aber wenn zum Jahreswechsel der berühmte Silvesterball stattfindet und Gäste
Published October 9th 2017 by Fischer FJB (first published October 5th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Wolkenschloss, please sign up.
Katie Apparently, the English version ("A Castle in the Clouds") is coming out in early 2020.
Katie Es wurde ganz eindeutig als Einzelband angekündigt, doch Gier wäre ja nicht die erste Autorin, die aufgrund guter Verkaufszahlen eine Reihe aus einem …moreEs wurde ganz eindeutig als Einzelband angekündigt, doch Gier wäre ja nicht die erste Autorin, die aufgrund guter Verkaufszahlen eine Reihe aus einem Standalone macht... Auf jeden Fall ist "Wolkenschloss" aber in sich abgeschlossen und bietet meiner Ansicht nach auch kein wirkliches Potenzial für ein Sequel.(less)

Start your review of Wolkenschloss
Cristina Monica
It has been a while since I last read a Kerstin Gier book. At least six years, really. But I do remember enjoying the magic in her Ruby Red Trilogy so I was hoping to be swept away by A Castle in the Clouds as well. Aside from having a really compelling title, it just seemed so mysterious.

It is not. Oh, it tries to be. It features a very large cast of characters, kind of like in the game Clue. There are secrets, illegal activity, suspects and our narrator who tries to make heads or tails out of
Toni
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, romance, 2020, ya
This was a perfect winter read! The book is set in a beautiful hotel up in the Swiss Alps, while the main events take place between Christmas and New Year's Day, so I couldn't have asked for a more atmospheric YA book on this January morning.

Seventeen year old Sophie Spark is a high school dropout who is working as an intern in a luxury hotel. She is trying to find her own place in the world, however different it might be from her mother expectations and her friends' chosen lifepaths. Sophie is
Anna Luce
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers who enjoy hotel-settings or Ben Guterson's Winterhouse series
★★★✰✰ 3.25 stars

“One thing was for sure: This Christmas was going to be anything but boring.”

A Castle in the Clouds is the book equivalent of cotton candy. Fluffy, sickly sweet, and somewhat insubstantial. Nevertheless, with its Clue meets Scooby Doo story this latest novel by Kerstin Gier makes for an entertaining, if silly, read.

A Castle in the Clouds follows the misadventures of Sophie Spark, a high-school drop out who is working as an intern at a grand hotel in the Swiss mountains. The hot
Candace Robinson
The Ruby Red Trilogy is one of my faves of all time, but this one didn’t have the same amount of pizazz for me. However, it still had fun and witty dialogue with an interesting plot!
Andragel
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, ya
Ahhhhh. I just loved, loved, loved this book so much.

description

Maybe it's not the best book to read in spring, it's definitely more of a winter book, but even like that, I enjoyed it immensely.

I am a big fan of Kerstin Gier, her Ruby Red series was among my favourites so seeing she decided to publish that made me so happy! I had some mixed feelings about picking this up as I see it has a few contradictory reviews but I am glad I did.

As a full disclaimer for the people reading it for the mystery: don't. It
linda (flourishreader)
I have read the authors ya series a couple of years ago and remember loving the Ruby Red series so I had to pick up her latest ya standalone sooner or later especially after seeing her at the book fair last year. This was such a quick and fun read - definitely how I expected a Kerstin Gier book to be. Now I have to admit that starting a book set in the middle of winter with snowy landscapes and the anticipation of christmas was probably not my best idea since it's June but I enjoyed it anyway! ...more
Jenny (Reading Envy)
This is a book I requested in my flurry of trying to read as many holiday reads before the holidays as I could take. I didn't get to this one but since it's set up to New Year's Eve and a bit beyond it still works. Also this is translated YA, which I don't see all that often. (Apparently some know the author from a time travel historical romance series, this seems more contemporary.)

Overall a feel-good read set in a Swiss mountain luxury hotel, with balls and mystery cats and snowstorms and afte
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
A Castle in the Clouds was an impulse download on Edelweiss because I'd been experiencing SFF burnout, and I am so glad that I picked this book up. It's funny and smart with a dash of cute, and I adored my time reading it!
"Legend had it that the hotel was haunted, and I could well believe it."
This is a fast-paced and engaging read. Told in Sophie's perspective, we follow her life as a new intern at a secluded old hotel in the Swiss mountains. She's quit school and is embarking on he
Marie
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-releases, arcs
Trigger warnings (TW): (view spoiler)
Diversity: a main character of Asian heritage (non specified), a deaf side-character.

Initial thoughts after reading: An entertaining read overall, but the pacing was a little bit uneven at times and all the characters made me a tiny bit confused at first. Still, a fun read overall :)

Read my review of A Castle in the Clouds

Apparently, Kerstin Gier’s Ruby Red series is very famo
Matthew Galloway
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, ya, audiobook
This was an utter comfort style read. It reminded me of... I don’t know what they’re called... but like gentle thrillers of the 80s. Sophie could be a little dopey at times, but overall was pretty charming. She did feel younger to me than seventeen, though. Anyway, enjoyable cast of characters, lots of red herrings, a tiny bit of magic.
leonie
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020
uff .. i think even my 15 year old self wouldn’t have called this a good book. i don’t even want to talk about it ... just know that ben is amazing and i flew through this book but otherwise.. nope! it didn’t know what it wanted to be. a coming of age story? a mystery? a love story? the plot was all over the place
Jackie
Mar 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent and fast pacing story. I normally 5 star books this author writes but this one fell a bit flat. Still cute but not as exciting and engaging as previous books
Emma Reads
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned
review on blog: https://infinitelyreadingsite.wordpre...

oh my goodness this was so wonderful. full review will be up on my blog very soon!
Rebecca
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-library
As I finished this book I already started to miss Castle in the Clouds.  This book was such a joy to read from start to finished.  Castle in the Clouds is a cozy, slightly out of date, luxury hotel in the Swiss mountains where the uber rich have come to spend Christmas and New Years.  The atmosphere was just perfect for a pre-Christmas or winter read, with the description of snow and cold. There is even a secret cat on the premise, which I absolutely loved!
_
Sophia Spark is a delightful character
Lisa Mandina
I have loved this author ever since her Ruby Red series. And I was also a big fan of her Silver Trilogy even if I haven’t quite finished it yet. So as soon as I heard of another book by her, I was psyched and wanted a copy of it as soon as possible. While I was able to get signed up through Netgalley, I really wanted a physical copy to keep on my shelf, and so I had to resort to the Books for Trade hashtag on Twitter for that.

I really did enjoy this one. It was a very easy and quick read. The st
Michelle
3.5/5 stars

A Castle in the Clouds by Kerstin Gier is a young adult mystery with a romance element. My favorite aspect of the book was the setting. A Castle in the Clouds takes place in an old hotel set in the Swiss Alps. It is the perfect read for the colder winter months. This book kind of reminded me of a game of clue but with high stakes secrets galore. The atmosphere of the was wonderful.

In A Castle in the Clouds, we meet our main character Sophie, who gets a job at the hotel as an intern.
Toya (the reading chemist)
Set in the dreamy winter wonderland of the Swiss Alps during the holiday season, A Castle in the Clouds is the perfect winter read. Don’t let the dreamy backdrop fool you, this book is full of mystery and intrigue with a character driven plot that is reminiscent of The Grand Budapest Hotel.

Sophie Sparks is a seventeen year old high school dropout lands an internship at a luxury hotel. While everyone else around her seems to have their lives figured out, Sophie is trying to still figure out what
Rissi
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THE STORY | Working as one of the new interns, Sophie Spark has her work cut out for her. This includes taking orders from entitled brats, which is not where she wants to end up, but for now, this is where Sophie’s life is at. She’s not exactly happy but working at the prestigious Castle in the Clouds hotel does have an undeniable magic.

As she works to find a rhythm, two cute boys enter her life, both with different agendas, and all just as a mysterious set of events plague the hotel!

Make a Rese
Panna Fox
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like it :) maybe not us much as The Time Trylogy but i like Kerstin Gier's style ;)
Priss
3.5/5. The pacing was quite slow up till the last 30% I feel, but the story was very fun. I found it a bit sad to have read the prologue - somehow this spoiled the story for me a bit. I also felt like it was slightly predictable, but overall I had fun reading it. The atmosphere in the hotel is great, and Sophie is quite likeable and relatable. I'd expected the beginning to be slightly more fast-paced and the ending to be less rushed, so that the pacing was a bit more equally distributed. All in ...more
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Rosemary
Cover Story: Cartoon Cutesy
BFF Charm: Yay!
Swoonworthy Scale: 7
Talky Talk: Cozy Mystery
Bonus Factors: Europe, Hotels, Christmas
Relationship Status: Holiday Hook-up

Read the full book report here.
Shifty Reads
2.4

Cheesy and highly unrealistic, the author should never think about writing a mystery any time soon, as she is clearly not confortabile in this genre. It had some good moments though.
Victoria Ferreira
I LOVED IT!!!
Samantha
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful and unexpected delight.

Castle in the Clouds is exactly the escapist, feel good read we all need right now. It’s cozy and light while still being sharp and compelling.

I loved the setting, and Gier does a wonderful job of evoking the majesty of the hotel’s dazzling location as well as the day-to-day of life inside the edifice.

The plot contains a few mysteries, some action, and some light humor that are all delightful. I could have done with less tension and melodrama surrounding the
Kat
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
* Thank you Fierce Reads for the advanced copy in exchange for an honest review *

ACTUAL: 4.25 stars

This novel follows Sophie Spark, an intern at an old regal hotel in Europe. Between snooty guests, rambunctious children, and celebrities checking in, the upcoming holiday season is sure to be exciting. Not to mention, the cute co-workers who have caught her eye, and the guests who are not who they claim they are.

This was such a cute read! It started a bit slow, but turned out to be a fun and fest
Alina
Oct 22, 2017 rated it liked it
3 STARS.

I was kind of disappointed with this... It was definitely not what I'd expected and very very character driven.
I still liked it because Kerstin Gier always creates very unique characters for her books but this was nothing compared to the Precious Stone trilogy...

More in-depths review coming soon.
I'm All Booked Up  YA
*We received this book in exchange for an honest review*

Instead of going to college like her peers, Sophie Spark leaves Germany to work as an intern in Switzerland. Welcome to the Castle in the Clouds, a magical hotel in the Swiss Alps.

It's the holiday season, the first one that Sophie is away from her family. She prepares for a hotel full of wealthy guests from around the world, all eagerly anticipating the New Year's Eve ball.

With a fully occupied hotel comes drama and secrets. First, items
Misti
Apr 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sophie Spark decides that university is not for her, so she takes a position as an intern at a luxury resort in the Swiss Alps, much to her parents' dismay. Her position has her doing a little of everything, from working in the laundry to babysitting the children of the hotel's guests. She meets a lot of fascinating characters, some of whom may be jewel thieves and kidnappers -- or is that just her overactive imagination?

Sophie reminded me a little of Jane Austen's Catherine Norland, always seei
Suzanne
A Castle in the Clouds reads like a cozy mystery for a young adult reader. Set entirely at an aging luxury hotel in the Swiss Mountains, the novel is populated by a large cast of characters there for the Christmas holiday--both guests and staff. Unlike most mysteries, however, there isn't a murder at the beginning followed by a lengthy whodunnit investigation. Instead, the mystery builds slowly as the author introduces more characters, explores their motivations and then, finally, gets to what t ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Sirpale
  • Die magische Gondel (Zeitenzauber, #1)
  • Save Me (Maxton Hall, #1)
  • Zimt und weg (Zimt-Trilogie #1)
  • Zimt und zurück (Zimt-Trilogie #2)
  • Save You (Maxton Hall, #2)
  • Auf ewig dein (Time School, #1)
  • Save Us (Maxton Hall, #3)
  • Palace of Glass: Die Wächterin (Palace-Saga, #1)
  • Animant Crumbs Staubchronik
  • Someone New (Someone #1)
  • Fatimas Flucht (Time School, #0.2)
  • Dodo
  • Prokletá krev
  • Die magische Pforte der Anderwelt (Pan-Trilogie, Spin-off, #1)
  • Der Insasse
  • Faye - Herz aus Licht und Lava
  • Die goldene Brücke (Zeitenzauber, #2)
Kerstin Gier is the bestselling author of the Ruby Red trilogy, as well as several popular novels for adults.