Start by marking “Cadaver & Queen (Cadaver & Queen, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cadaver & Queen (Cadaver & Queen, #1)

Cadaver & Queen

(Cadaver & Queen #1)

When Lizzie Lavenza enrolled at Ingold as its first female medical student, she knew she wouldn't have an easy time. From class demands to being an outsider among her male cohorts, she'll have to go above and beyond to prove herself. So when she stumbles across what appears to be a faulty Bio-mechanical--one of the mechanized cadavers created to service the school--she jum ...more
Published February 27th 2018 by Harlequin Teen

To ask other readers questions about Cadaver & Queen, please sign up.
Alisa Kwitney Hi, Morgan. I am working on a book which I suppose can be called a companion novel--it continues the story, and includes Lizzie and Victor, but focuse…moreHi, Morgan. I am working on a book which I suppose can be called a companion novel--it continues the story, and includes Lizzie and Victor, but focuses on different characters.(less)

Start your review of Cadaver & Queen (Cadaver & Queen, #1)
Kristen Burns
3.5 Stars

Review:
I reread Frankenstein recently and am on a quest to read all the retellings! And this one proved to be a thought-provoking, feminist Frankenstein-inspired story with a twist.

While not a retelling, per se, this story took characters and ideas from the original novel as a springboard and twisted them in really interesting ways to form something new and really highlight some of the thought-provoking aspects of the original. Our main character was Elizabeth, our love interest Victor,
Candace Robinson
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love anything having to do with Frankenstein, but am super picky when it comes to retelling stuff and usually am like NOPE! But this time, I was like YEP!

First, I was drawn into that cover, and then that title, and then the blurb! I really loved the twist on this especially since Victor was the monster. It brought something completely new to the table!

I also really liked Lizzie too! She was relatable, smart, and caring. Also, I loved the romance here so much. I want to give this two characters
Eva B.
May 15, 2020 rated it did not like it
I can't. I can't do this. I'm not strong enough.
DNF around the halfway point, counting it as read and slapping it with a one star.
[image error]

Ugh. The one retelling that actually bothers to include Henry Clerval, and I still get stuck with an instalove-y Victor/Elizabeth romance, where Elizabeth is turned on about pulling the sheet over Victor's bottom half down when she's literally trying to heal his injuries . There was some weird 'not like other girls' stuff going on with Elizabeth too, bu
Jay G
Feb 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Want to see more from me? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

Thank you to Harper Collins for sending me a copy for honest review

Lizzie Lavenza is the first female medical student to be enrolled at the prestigious Ingold School in England during the 1800s. She faces a lot of prejudice and quickly realizes she will need to work twice as hard as her male counterparts. Upon arriving, she meets a former student named Victor Frankenstein who was murdered a few month
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
A YA reimagining of Frankenstein.

I just received a free copy of the hardback book from Harper Collins for review. Thanks!!
Alaina
Not bad for a Frankenstein retelling.

Cadaver & Queen has been on my mind, and TBR, since 2017. In it, you will meet Elizabeth and Victor. Now Lizzie, I liked her. She was spunky, entertaining, and just interesting from the very start. Then there's Victor.. and I was kind of getting Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde vibes from him towards the end of the book. Mostly because of the whole switching from Victor to Jack during certain situations.

Other than that, I actually missed getting to know Will and Byron
Lauren Stoolfire
I really enjoyed this historical sci-fi take on the classic story of Frankenstein more than I expected to like it. Bio-mechanicals (reanimated corpses who perform menial tasks and follow orders), a top of the line British medical school, a female American student, and Victor Frankenstein - a once great student who has since died a been transformed into a bio-mechanical who still seems to be himself - doesn't that sound like a cool story? It totally was and I loved getting to know our cast of cha ...more
Heather (Curious Fox Reads)
This book was one of my most anticipated reads for the year. I mean look at that Cover! Intriguing right? And a Frankenstein retelling! Psh.. Heck Yes!!

However, it fell a little short for me. The idea of the story was definitely there and intriguing, but as I got reading, I felt the story start to get a little choppy, Jumping from here to there, or having conversations with characters that were unnecessary.

Then by the ending, I had all these things come up... that were never answered or explain
Tyler J Gray
I've heard this called a Feminist Frankenstein Retelling? I am so here for that!
Patty (IheartYA)
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cadaver and Queen was a lot of fun! I was engrossed throughout the entire story, beginning from page one. It’s a very unique and unusual story. Character development and world-building were consistent, and the story flowed very well. I could actually play it out like a movie in my mind. I will read the sequel very soon. I recommend this to any YA reader who likes a fast paced and consuming read.
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Update: wait...there's a sequel now?!

Ohhhh this was actually fun and not what I was expecting! It kinda reminded me of Stalking Jack the Ripper and some Frankenstein. Victorian era sexism really does piss me off. The romance was kinda cheesy but I actually didn't mind it. Lots of mystery and science which I'm always a sucker for. Pretty decent for a sci-fi/fantasy stand alone.
TheYALibrarian
♠ TABI ♠
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it
"It is dangerous to be right on matters in which the established authorities are wrong."

description

All right. Since it's been a few weeks after reading this, I've had time to mull over this book. At first, I absolutely loved it. Because it was a refreshing read after a string of disappointments, I live for these kind of gothic, mild-horror retellings, and the writing was quite engaging! So why did I eventually rate it lower and remove it from my initial placement on my favorites shelf?? Because this
Jaye Berry
Mar 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
Honestly this just probably wasn't the book for me. I really wanted to give this 2 stars because I have read worse but when I think of it, there just wasn't anything I liked.

Cadaver & Queen begins with Elizabeth Lavenza and her first day being enrolled at Ingold medical school. She knew it wouldn't be an easy time as the only woman, but she'll stop at nothing to prove she belongs there. At Ingold, cadavers are turned part mechanical and reanimated to service the school and soon Lizzie stumbles a
Cindy ✩☽♔
Jul 16, 2017 marked it as to-read
Not sure how I feel about this cover...
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
---
This sounds amazing! I love Frankenstein, so I am excited to see where this goes.
Kayleigh
3 stars.

“It is dangerous to be right on matters in which the established authorities are wrong.”

Cadaver & Queen follows Elizabeth Lavenza, who has enrolled at Ingold as its first female medical student. From class demands to being an outsider among her male peers, she will have to go above and beyond to prove herself. So when she stumbles across what appears to be a faulty Bio-Mechanical—one of the mechanized cadavers created to service the school—she jumps at the chance to fix it and get ahead
Cindy Newton
This is a fluffy YA "shout-out" to Frankenstein. It's published by Teen Harlequin, so you're not going to get away from the romance! It's pretty fun, but definitely light reading. It kind of falls apart at the end.

**SPOILER**

One character (a nursing student) exclaims that she can't stop the bleeding on a wounded character. When Elizabeth asks her where the bleeding is coming from, the nursing student doesn't know and decides to raise the victim's skirt to see a gash on her calf. Okay, what I w
Katherine Paschal
I have no idea why this book has not gotten the hype that it should! I had not even heard of Cadaver & Queen until I was rummaging at the library and I stumbled across the book, with it's eye catching cover and intriguing synopsis. This was a Frankenstein retelling with steampunk elements, a strong female main character, and the best kind of romance!
I listened to the audiobook and the narrator was great, giving personality and voice to each character, and between the narrator and the written wo
Devann
Listen I could literally sit around and read Frankenstein retellings all day every day. I'm not exactly sure why because the original novel is really very so-so for me, but I just love all the retellings so much! And somehow they still all manage to be different enough to be interesting. This one features all the familiar faces [plus a guy with a club foot named 'Byram', one guess who he's supposed to be lol] and is set in a steampunk-ish world where the process of bringing bodies back to life i ...more
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cadaver & Queen is the story of Lizzie and Victor while they are attending medical school in Britain. Lizzie is the first females to be allowed to study medicine at Ingold while Victor was a previous student but met with some not so great circumstances but they somehow meet during this book and a huge ordeal takes place.

Lizzie is our main character. We start the book out on her first day at Ingold, a medical school in Britain. She is the first female student they have allowed to attend actual me
Melissa Souza
3 stars!!!

I thought that this a rather refreshing take on the story of 'Frankenstein'. It had some interesting aspects and some which didn't really do it for me. When I first started reading the book, I found it a bit hard to get into as many things were happening at once and a lot of characters were being thrown at me. But once I got the gist of it and things became familiar, I found the story quite intriguing. Let me elaborate further.

Firstly, since the story had a historical element, it wasn'
Julia (ten_thousand_books)
Synopsis-

When Elizabeth Lavenza enrolled at Ingold as its first female medical student, she knew she wouldn’t have an easy time. From class demands to being an outsider among her male cohorts, she’ll have to go above and beyond to prove herself. So when she stumbles across what appears to be a faulty Bio-Mechanical - one of the mechanized cadavers created to service the school - she jumps at the chance to fix it and get ahead of the program.

Only this Bio-Mechanical isn’t like the others. Where
Ella Schantz
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I won this uncorrected proof from a Goodreads giveaway. Thank you for allowing me the chance to read this book prior to its release!

Elizabeth (Lizzie) Lavenza is the first female medical student at Ingold, a school in 1800's England. While she struggles to fit in and work around the sexism of a male-dominated school setting, there is a worldwide movement to create a whole army of Bio-Mechanicals. Their purpose is to serve as a soldier in the wars the countries keep waging against each other -
Jackie
Jun 21, 2018 rated it liked it
I’m a big fan of retellings and anything that offers up a bit of a twist with a female lead tackling the mystery and horror along with a male dominated society but overall this book as just okay.

“Cadaver and Queen” begins with first year medical student Lizzie who wants nothing more than to prove herself amongst the men in her class but quickly finds that it will be an uphill battle with few allies. Meanwhile, Victor, another medical student, wakes up to find that he has become a regenerated co
Stacy Fetters
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
"Arrogance is what thick people call the truth when they don’t like it.”

This is Tales from the Crypt meets Stalking Jack the Ripper with deeper and darker secrets. I love Tales from the Crypt and it’s still one of my favorite shows to watch. Stalking Jack the Ripper was one of those books I hated and it drove me crazy. So this got stuck right in the middle for me.

The cover and spine for this book are stunning. It definitely is the draw to capturing your attention. The synopsis hits you because
Anna 'Bookbuyer'
Cocktails and Books
I liked this twist on the story of Frankenstein. It's one of those books you just have to experience for yourself. Victor was perfect as the tortured hero and strong-willed Lizzie was immediately likable and you couldn't help but want this couple to figure out how to get their HEA.
Caitlyn
Apr 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
DNF@ pg 118.

Unsalvageable. An unusual premise, abominably executed—and a romance which, while true to the period, offended my modern sensibilities.
katie
I really really really liked the beginning of this book. Elizabeth was a girl against the world. She was smart and she knew it and she wasn't about to let some egotistical male teachers keep her from becoming a doctor.

I enjoyed her friendship with the other misfits, and even her strange relationship with her roomate, because they felt like real relationships. The romance wasn't too quick, and it was nice to watch them develop feelings for each other.

HOWEVER, the last half of the book felt rushe
Mandy
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
There wasn't anything particularly bad with this book, but it just didn't enthrall me at all. I would sit there, looking at the page and being bored.

I will say that I was quite confused at first. I kind of went into this book, forgetting that it was a Frankenstein retelling of sorts. I was very confused on the world. I couldn't tell if this was supposed to be straight up Historical Fiction or if it was supposed to have fantasy elements, so I got a bit lost on what exactly Bio-Mechanicals were.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• La verità è che non ti odio abbastanza
  • Due cuori in affitto
  • Un maledetto per sempre
  • Il nostro primo capitolo: Novella seguito di "Due cuori in affitto"
  • Prima regola: non innamorarsi
  • Loki: Where Mischief Lies
  • Come nessuno al mondo
  • Un inaspettato benefattore
  • Queen of Ruin (Grace and Fury, #2)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic #1)
  • When Life Gives You Demons
  • Ci vediamo domani se non piove
  • Il giorno giusto per incontrarti
  • Ferryman (Ferryman, #1)
  • The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein
  • The kingdom: Benvenuti nel luogo dove il lieto fine è realtà
  • Le nostre prime sette volte
  • Mai più così vicini
I'm the author of YA, graphic novels and novels for adults who still feel young, at least most of the time.
My latest books are Cadaver & Queen from Harlequin Teen, a Feminist Frankenstein meets Grey's Anatomy tale, and Mystik U from DC Comics, which features Zatanna and other magical characters in their first year at college.

My first novel, Till the Fat Lady Sings, is also about college and roman

Cadaver & Queen (2 books)
  • Corpse & Crown (Cadaver & Queen #2)