Start by marking “The Mammoth Book of Vampire Stories by Women” as Want to Read:
The Mammoth Book of Vampire Stories by Women

The Mammoth Book of Vampire Stories by Women (Henry Fitzroy)

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  283 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews

Featuring the only vampire short story by Anne Rice, the undisputed queen of vampire literature, and an autobiographical introduction by Ingrid Pitt, star of the films The Vampire Lovers and Countess Dracula, this Mammoth collection brings together thirty-four uncanny and erotic tales by women who have redefined the genre of vampire fiction. From classic stories of the und

Published October 17th 2001 by Running Press

To ask other readers questions about The Mammoth Book of Vampire Stories by Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mammoth Book of Vampire Stories by Women

Jamie

Aftermath by Janet Berliner
One Among Millions by Y
Yeleina
Oct 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
I am finally done with these short stories. Most of them are very boring. Before every story there is a page or two about how great the author is and what other books were written in the past. The stories are to short and sometimes don't even look like they have a meaning. Not well developed. It feels like one big advertisement for other books. Most of the stories are a bit hard to follow due to scattered thoughts and ideas written. The language and scenes are all over. Not an organized and not ...more
Ladiibbug
Jun 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
My favorite was Tanya Huff's story featuring Vicki Nelson and Mike Celluci of her Blood series.

Three or four of the stories were very good, but at 600+ pages, I can't really recommend this as far as reading time required as compared with reading enjoyment. Most were just OK.

A few of the many authors: Anne Rice, Tanith Lee, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, Poppy Z. Brite, Tanya Huff ...
Sarah Pierce
Jan 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
No matter how many different sorts of literary vampire I encounter, I am still constantly amazed at what can be done with the idea of “vampire.” This collection of stories ranges from the classic, Romantic vampire to vampires who feed on energy in a more subtle way than drinking blood. There is even a puppet vampire who feeds on humans through flowers. Wow.
Brittany
May 27, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
One story is FANTASTIC! It's called "Services Rendered" by Louise Cooper, it starts on page 161. I highly suggest it. Some of the other's were very good too and some really weren't. I'm glad I read it even though I felt like some of the stories were a waste of time.
Cynthia Turner
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just loved this book of vampire stories. The stores were great and you could read one story at a time, then start a new one. It worked out just right for my allotted reading time at home and at work. Sometimes women writers just get it more than men and this was one of those occasions. I really enjoyed this book.
Ali Molenaar
Had een deel van de verhalen al eerder gelezen. Beetje wisselend van kwaliteit, maar over het algemeen leuk om te lezen. En ik heb er zo lang over gedaan omdat ik elke avond een verhaal wilde lezen en het ook een hele tijd heb laten liggen.
David Fries
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining!

A couple of weak stories but the rest are solid and there are several gems. Well worth reading. I will look for some of the authors.
Krystl Louwagie
Sep 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was a long, long, book of short stories, and since some were better than others, it's hard to judge the book. But, I still will, a bit.

Though not as creative, original, unique, or as much variety as the last short vampire stories written by women that I read (Night Bites), the variety and writing was still adequate to be interesting and engaging, as well as having decent writers, etc. So while Night Bites was a little better, it was also a lot shorter, and with something like this book bein
Gothicromantic
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Wildly uneven collection. Yes, there are some good stories, like Master of Rampling Gate by Anne Rice and A Question of Patronage by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro. However, most stories are either pointless or just garbage - Nancy A Collins lets her sleazy, sadistic, foul-mouthed heroine Sonja Blue pollute Vampire king of goth chicks and Outfangthief by Gala Blau has a family terrorized by a mob leader who makes Sonja Blue seem almost decent person. Almost. Homewrecker by Poppy Z Brite is another sleazy ...more
Cynthia
Nov 02, 2011 rated it liked it
While it won't win any awards for cover design, most of the stories in this doorstopper are pretty strong, with some inevitable misses. The much anthologized (and classic) "Luella Miller" and "Good Lady Ducayne" are here, and Connie Willis's "Jack" is always a pleasure to read. Tanya Huff, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, and Tanith Lee are dependably good.

Best read over a long stretch with a story or two at a time.
Barb
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Women authors seem to have a much firmer grasp of vampire lore than most of the male fiction I've read. Recognizing the conflicting allure of the blood-suckers as both monsters and seducers, these stories bring vampires to life (in a manner of speaking) in unique and entrancing detail. I thoroughly enjoyed all the stories by some of the greatest female authors writing today.
Claudia
Nov 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Even though I didn't enjoy all of the stories in this book, I think it's definitely worth reading. Some of the stories were very good and I discovered some amazing writers that I might not have read otherwise, like Crista Faust, Caitlin R. Kiernan, and Gemma Files. And of course, Poppy Z. Brite, one of my absolute favorite writers.
Tammi
May 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Some good stories, some atrocious stories. It is definitely worth checking out since it's a collection. You can always skip the few that are bad and still end up with a good collection of short stories.
Jean
Sep 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this books of short vampire stories. A nice way to relax in the evening. What a nice what to pass the time with short stories by Anne Rice (Goddess of the Vampires), Poppy Z. Brite, and many more.
Jessie Radford
Nov 04, 2012 rated it liked it
I don't quite know how to explain this book. There was some good stories in it, but the first story right out of the gate was a bit vulgar. So if you want to read it, your in for a gem or two but expect some stories that will either make you blush or close the book.
Debra
Jun 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Some stories were well-written and others, frankly, just took up space.

The Master of Rampling Gate by Anne Rice was a great read!
Luna Lindsey
Sep 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
A fair mix of good and bad stories. Mostly good.
Anastasia Guiler
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I always love my vampire stories and this was a great collection! Intriguing, creative and spooky, its a great read for Halloween.
Cher
This was not a particularly impressive collection of stories, with only a few being truly interesting.
colleen
Nov 14, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: vampires, scpl
read 03.06.07
Emma Draper
Jul 17, 2007 is currently reading it
I've been reading this book in dribs and drabs for something like a year and a half now. I'm not massively into horror fiction, so I just pick it up every so often.
Chris
A mixed bag of stories, but there are some good ones.
Andrea
May 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book.
Tiffany Lynn Kramer
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Aside from a few enters like Poppy Z. Brite's Homewrecker I really enjoyed this anthology and its many takes on the vampire. It also gave me a taste of authors I have come to love.
Jessica
  • The Ultimate Dracula
  • The Dracula Book of Great Vampire Stories
  • The Mammoth Book of Irish Romance
  • The Mammoth Book of Haunted House Stories
  • Blood and Other Cravings: Original Stories of Vampires and Vampirism by Today's Greatest Writers of Dark Fiction
  • 100 Vicious Little Vampire Stories
  • Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy 2
  • Voice Of The Blood
  • Bending the Landscape: Fantasy
  • The Mammoth Book of Extreme Fantasy
Stephen Jones is an eighteen-time winner of the British Fantasy Award.
More about Stephen Jones

Henry Fitzroy (9 books)
  • Blood Price (Vicki Nelson, #1)
  • Blood Trail (Vicki Nelson, #2)
  • Blood Lines (Vicki Nelson, #3)
  • Blood Pact (Vicki Nelson, #4)
  • Blood Debt (Vicki Nelson, #5)
  • Smoke and Shadows (Tony Foster #1)
  • Smoke and Mirrors (Tony Foster #2)
  • Smoke and Ashes (Tony Foster #3)
  • Relative Magic

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
  • The Graveyard Book, Volume 1
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Down Among the Sticks and Bones (Wayward Children, #2)
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
  • The Curiosity
  • Virtual Light
    $7.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
“I'm scared of madmen with knives, and perverts hiding in alleys. I'm scared of
people, because they're shit. But etheric entities don't frighten me. They don't have
hands of flesh and blood. They can't fire a gun. The only way they can hurt you is
through fear, your own mind. You must know that.”
4 likes