Start by marking “To Love and Protect” as Want to Read:
To Love and Protect

To Love and Protect

Hank Bartlett dreams of something more than his sleepy Ohio hometown, where the work is back-breaking and the money he makes goes straight to his family. He's only 25—way too young to end up stuck in the same tiny town for the rest of his life... especially when he's the only gay guy in a 100-mile radius.

When he walks into The Spike on his first night in San Diego, a gor
Published May 14th 2017

To ask other readers questions about To Love and Protect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Love and Protect

Start your review of To Love and Protect
Tanu Gill
Aug 06, 2017 marked it as dnf
The writing was completely disjointed, and it certainly wasn't anywhere near the smooth, flowy writing in the previous books by the author.

DNF'd at 27%. I have not gotten any physical traits of both Hank and Ben properly, and their characters' development also seems a botched attempt. Really disappointed... I hope the future books are just like the other works I've greatly enjoyed...
Marion
DNF @ 47%
I tried, I really did. I love Kay Simone but I don't recognize this writing style as hers. I'm not hearing her voice in any part of this story.
She said in a promo blurb that Jason Collins writes "folksy" stories. This is a folksy story.
It's not my cup of tea, but it may be yours. Please try this book for yourself.
Susan
May 18, 2017 marked it as dnf
DNF at 20%

The writing feels too simplistic. And there is no tension or any kind of chemistry between the characters.

Not the book for me.
Gigi
May 22, 2017 marked it as friends-say-no
Friends didn't like it. ...more
Cadiva
May 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Didn't work for me at all

I usually love Kay Simone's books but unfortunately this one with Jason Collins was a dud for me.

The plot just didn't stand up and was so muddled, the book felt like it went on a bit too long and the relationship between Hank and Ben was all on the surface.

The stalker plot really made no sense, neither did the big reveal and there were just too many story threads all over it.

Sadly not for me and I nearly DNF but I hate doing that. Please don't dismiss it on my account t
Eleeze
Joyfully Jay
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kirsty
A Joyfully Jay review.

When I read the blurb for To Love and Protect, I was immediately intrigued. Not only I am a fan of Jason Collins’ novels, but I have recently read some really good gay romance mysteries and the premise of this sounded like a story I would enjoy. Unfortunately, for me To Love and Protect was a disappointment and a novel I could take or leave.

I really like the fact that writers collaborate and think this can enhance the readers’ experience, though I did not feel tha
thebloggerandthegeek
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
I've read two previous book by Kay Simone and I absolutely loved them but this one was a total mess. I didn't connect with any of the character plus the stalker didn't make sense. The authors hinted at two possible suspects and then turned to be someone else - which if done correctly would have been a great twists but here failed to be so -. Not only that Ben offering Hank a job and an apartment without meeting each other properly made no sense, then as his personal assistant with Hank having no ...more
Jillian MacLeod
Feb 28, 2019 rated it did not like it
There was no subtlety to the narrative, and the mystery plot really didn't hang together. Half of the "twist ending" was telegraphed pretty early and the other half could've been really clever, except that the overall clumsiness of the writing made the clues that pointed in that direction seem like yet another example of illogical plotting rather than an intentional discordant note.

I can see Hank making poor choices because he's young and inexperienced, but Ben is old enough to know better. His
Nic
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Okay

Fairly interesting. However, one of the main characters who is the subject of the mystery appeared a bit clueless at times. There were instances where he should have put things together but did not. Overall both main were ok.
Lasha
May 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Slow paced

I like a good mystery in my M/M books, but I just couldn't get into this one. I didn't buy into the whole stalker thing and it took away from the romance of the main characters. It was okay but I wouldn't recommend it unless you really like these authors.
Azalia
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Drags out

Just ok. Main characters fell in love with other too quickly. Hank almost had it too easy for someone who left his small town in Ohio and moved to San Diego.
Light
3.5 / 4 Stars

I'm usually go after whatever Kay Simone writes, she's one of my favorite authors. I was super excited about this co-written book, the premise certainly caught my eye. So it's a sad to say that it didn't live up my expectations.

Be aware this review might contain spoilers.

Handsome 25-year-old Hank lives in a small town, where working too hard but earning too little makes him dream of a better life. He's been waiting for the right time to move out of Stone Creek and find someone wealt
Sharon
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Imagine walking away from a fortune in inheritance because the only way you will gain it is to marry. Oh yeah, you’re a gay male and your father feels marriage is just the ticket to straighten you out. (pun intended). Time marches on, your father dies, the will is in force but now there is a twist that your father didn’t foresee when he wrote his will. Same sex marriage is now legal. Such is Bennett’s dilemma. He has survived without his father’s financial backing and built a thriving business h ...more
Pam Kay
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
These two amazing writers have teamed up together to produce a great, all inclusive story of love, mystery which includes death threats, action, and the beautiful melting together of two very different lives. Hank, a small town hunk, moves to San Diego to find a wealthy man to take care of him. What he found was much more than he expected. Ben is an older man who owns his own business and extremely handsome. Ben has just received a death threat telling him if he gets married he's a dead man. He ...more
Mainely Stories
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, m-m
May-December is my favorite theme and the authors played right into my hands.

Both main characters are romantic individuals, with needs for caring and passions that seem to match like puzzle pieces. The story is suspenseful yet romantic, sexy and the HEA is just what I needed.

The authors give us Bennett from an extremely wealthy family whose father could not accept his sexuality. On the day of Ben's mother's funeral when he was a senior in high school, his father was very clear "If you persist.
Bretton Coppedge
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm
I'd almost say that this book is more mystery than romance because the romance is delightfully low angst and from almost the very beginning the couple focuses on solving the mystery. The mystery kept me going because I genuinely couldn't guess who was behind the threats and had to keep reading to find out the whodunit.

My only complaint was the frequent use of telling and not showing. In my opinion, it was used excessively when characters were recounting events. But I was very satisfied with the
Jenn
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I definitely think Kay Simone and Jason Collins are great together, this was a great story filled with heart, heat and some good mystery! To Love and Protect definitely hit some of my favorites - May/December romance done right and a good mystery thrown in. I loved Hank and Ben and I thought they were great for each other. Overall, this was an enjoyable read from start to finish.

The relationship between Ben and Hank felt very natural despite their differences, they just clicked together and the
Sallyann
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm new to both Kay Simone and Jason Collins and I must admit that I did enjoy this book but I did find it a little slow up until about 35% in. Hank moves to California in the hope to find a rich sugar daddy to marry and he just so happens to meet Ben on his first night in the city. Ben stands to inherit millions if he marries but is being blackmailed into staying single. There are lots of twists and turns that keep you on the edge of your seat and I was second guessing everyone. I must admit I ...more
Denise GremoryKohta
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first time I've read Jason Collins but I've been a long time fan of Kay Simone. This was different from what I'm used to from her and I was a bit leery. I shouldn't have been because as usual she more than delivered. I got caught up in trying to figure out who was behind the threats and would never have guessed the outcome. I wasn't able to connect as deeply as I usually do but I think if they continue to work together that will become easier. I was given the privilege and opportunit ...more
Lara
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Simone does it again- this time with the help of Jason Collins. Together they create this story of trust and reassurance that hit all my weak spots. I relate with Ben's second-guessing and Hank's desire to please, making these characters quick favorites of mine. The combined adventure and danger make for an absoloutely suspenseful tale, laced with passion.

Let me just say this... you'll never see what's coming.
Ulaumes
Oct 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
This was like reading a soap opera. A poorly written soap opera. If you like books that try to be more than they are with stilted writing and conversation this is the book for you.

(view spoiler)
Racheal
Just too easy and straightforward. The leads are both unbelievably nice and uncomplicated and guileless.
Lucretia
Sep 05, 2017
Stephen G Barnette
Jul 07, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Ready For Love (Semper Fi, The Forever Faithful, #1)
  • Adam's Song (8 Million Hearts #1)
  • That Alien Feeling (Calluvia's Royalty, #1)
  • A Baby for the Firefighter (Oceanport Omegas, #2)
  • Owning It (Metropolis, #3)
  • Redemption (The Protectors, #8)
  • Precious Jules (The Cowboy Gangster, #6)
  • Defiance (The Protectors, #9)
  • Delivering Dante (Made Marian, #6)
  • The Shape of You
  • Going Commando (Heathens Ink, #2)
  • Locked In Silence (Pelican Bay, #1)
  • Splinter (Significant Brothers, #1)
  • City Boy (Hot Off the Ice, #1)
  • Slow Heat (Heat of Love, #1)
  • Lost and Found (Twist of Fate #1)
  • Constructing the Soul (Souls of Chicago, #5)
  • Cocky (Cocky, #1)