Start by marking “Summer's Lease” as Want to Read:
Summer's Lease

Summer's Lease

(The Shakespeare Sisters #1)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  560 Ratings  ·  125 Reviews
Meet the Shakespeare family: four sisters, four stories . . . four ways to find true love

Cesca Shakespeare has hit rock bottom. Six years after the play she wrote bombed at the box office, she's unable to hold down a job, keep an apartment, and worst of all her family have no idea how far she's fallen. So when her fairy Godfather offers her the use of his friend's Italian
US Edition
Published July 13th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Summer's Lease, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer's Lease

Claire Robinson
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shit-hot-series
4.5 - The rich movie star and the impoverished writer... It would make a good story. Stars!

ITs Live!
Amazon US -http://amzn.to/2u8VbLS
Amazon UK - http://fal.cn/tuEC

It’s no secret that I am a huge fan of Carrie Elks’ writing, so learning that there was a whole new sparkly series on the way, it's safe to say I was beyond excited.

Summers Lease is the first book in the The Shakespeare Sisters series, and the author delivered the all-round enjoyable read that I have come to expect from her writing.
Nicola
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carrie Elks brings us an enemies-to-lovers romance for the first in her Shakespeare Sisters series, introducing us to Cesca Shakespeare; a playwright trying to quash a bad bout of writers block by exchanging London for Lake Como.

"...your parents have employed me to look after this house, and that’s exactly what I intend to do. So in the morning you need to leave."

Having enjoyed many of Carrie's previous books I'd have happily dived in blind and admittedly I had high hopes. Don't get me wrong
Alison
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars!!!

I was given this book in turn for an honest review.

Looking after her Uncle's, friend's, Villa for the summer is an easy task. What could possibly go wrong? Or could everything possibly go, right?

Summer's Lease swelled my heart and filled it full of love. It's a beautiful story that I found unable to put down. From start to finish Carrie Elk's kept me captivated and enthralled in Cesca and Sam's story. Her story felt as real as watching it play out before my very eyes, as if I was liv
A Book Lover's Emporium Book Blog
This an easy read, with great characters and set in a beautiful country; it has it all. I really loved the characters, loved the angst and the conflicts, the hope and the romance. Just loved it! It is a light Summer read by Carrie Elks, perfect for lying on the beach or sitting in the sun in the garden. I have to confess I love stories set in Italy; I happen to also love a good romance and as this hits both of those criteria then this book was the perfect read for me.

I thought Cesca’s character
Malene
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
3.5 Stars

Summer's Lease is a great summer read which is how I spent my time reading Cesca's story. Relaxing in the sun. I had a good time in Cesca's company and most definitely also in Sam Carlton's. What I really enjoyed about Summer's Lease was the funny and easy bantering between Cesca and Sam. Their first meeting in Italy after six years was terrific. The animosity that continued was equally as funny and when alcohol and flirting entered the equation all bets were off and that's when I reall
Eliza
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: july-2017, arc, net-galley

★3.5 STARS★

Writer Cesca Shakespeare's star is prematurely snuffed out even before the curtain rises for Act I. When the productions leading man goes AWOL, he takes with him any chance of the play she has written being a success. She's never recovered from the disaster that was once her fledgling career in theatre, and has for the last six year worked (and been fired from) a variety of dead end jobs.

When she finds herself at another loose end, her uncle and confident who can no longer bear to
Thyago | MrsMargotBlog
Sou suspeito para avaliar este livro porque o género desta leitura é bem ao meu gosto, romance com viagens. Gostei tanto que estou bem curioso de ler os outros livros da série, acredito que sejam leituras independentes mas que tenham pormenores que os liguem. Espero que sejam publicados em Portugal. ❤
Aquele tipo de comédias românticas, lamechas e cheias de clichês que assistimos no cinema e que eu adoro? É tal e qual este livro.
Adoro cada ingrediente, Cesca uma roteirista falhada de Londres, Sam
Jacqueline
If I hadn't read the fab Fix You by this author previously then I wouldn't have picked this up. Those watercolour granny covers have me skipping to the next book pretty sharpish. Strangely though, this was an odd marriage of strait -laced romance and explicit smut which surprised me a bit really. In a good way, obviously 😘

Cesca is a playwright who gets to housesit an empty mansion next to an Italian lake. She's had a rough few years after her first and only play didn't get off the ground and she
Whispering Stories
Cesca Shakespeare had always dreamed of being a script writer, so when her play took centre stage, she was ecstatic, that was until the leading man Sam Carlton disappeared, and her play became a disaster overnight, leading her into a dark place and consequently, writers’ block.

After six years, Cesca still hadn’t written another play. She had gone from job to job, never lasting more than a few weeks, while Sam had become a big Hollywood superstar. When her latest employment came to an abrupt end,
C.J. Fallowfield
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is only my second read by Elks, the first book being some time ago, but I remember being impressed at the standard of her writing and ability to paint a scene in that book, and that certainly hasn’t diminished, if anything it’s improved even more. Sharing the tale of Cesca, one of four sisters, who seems to have an unending run of back luck, Elks has managed to kick off the Shakespeare Sisters series in fine form. A fabulous contemporary, and at times, steamy romance, flitting from London t ...more
Rachel Gilbey
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

For six years, Cesca Shakespeare's life has been a complete mess, shes been flittering from job to job with not much success, not admitting to her family she needs help and barely able to put pen to paper and write despite being a promising playwright. All of this is thanks to Sam Carlton and what happened 6 years ago.

Hugh her godfather suggests getting out of London for the summer and she is gifted a house sitting job in Lake Como. Not long into her stay in Italy, she discovers that i
Simona
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: booktours
*Book provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

Cesca Shakespeare is at a really low point at the start of this story. It’s been six years, since her play has fallen through, but she is still not over it. She has problems writing new things and paying her rent. Her three sisters live in another part of the world, so she is alone. Her godfather has the solution though: Looking after an Italian villa for the summer.

The villa is located by Lake Como and close to the city of Varenna
Ammie *Ammie's Book Obsession*
Summer’s Lease by Carrie Elks
Release Date: July 13th
Genre: New Adult Romance

Summer’s Lease an all-new romance by Carrie Elks is LIVE!

JG ~ Jezabell Girl & Friends
With the scene set for a good old "enemies to lovers" romance set on Lake Como in Italy, this story had everything going for it from the outset. Add two, very different, characters into the mix and readers are drawn into a love affair filled with uncertainty and tension.

With dreams of being a playwright dashed at the outset of her young career, Cesca has limped from one dead-end job to another. When her last disastrous job ends, she turns to her Uncle for advice and before she knows it she’s agr
Moon Love
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars!

I really loved this summer romance set mostly in beautiful Italy and also in London and Hollywood. It almost felt like an second chance love story. I mean Cesca and Sam have a history, but it's not quit what I was thinking. Sam has played a huge role in Cesca's life, while he is none the wiser as to how and why this woman can't stand him.

Cesca and Sam started off as adversaries and it was fun watching that slowly change into friendship before becoming something else. It was a slow bui
Isha Coleman
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Falling in love means never having to say sorry. How great that would be if true. Carrie Elks does something we all wish we could, but are afraid to try. Have characters admit they were wrong. Cesca and Sam have a history that may have seemed promising but ended in rivalry. When scandal and disappointment lead them to the same place, can these feuding enemies began to give peace a chance? Summer's Lease is my first Carrie Elks novel. Whether confronted with frenemies or seduced by lovers, this a ...more
Iara Picolo
Bem clichê, mas uma delicinha!
Peggy M
I received an ARC of this book and this is my voluntarily, honest review of it.

This isn’t the first book that I read from Carrie Elks but being it the first book in a new series, I was very curious about it. And after reading it I can say that I really liked it and it made me wish that I was going on a holiday to Italy this summer!!

Once upon a time Cesca Shakespeare had big dreams. She dreamed of writing a play that would be loved by everyone and when she was 18 years old she thought that her d
Clare
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Summer's Lease is my first encounter with Carrie Elks's writing even though I had heard of her books before and I have even been fortunate enough to have met once at a local author book signing I just haven't had the chance to read her books before now. I was totally drawn to this book by it's beautiful cover and the blurb which got me all intrigued about the story, it made me not want to miss out on the opportunity to read it.
The story itself is based around Cesca Shakespeare who as a young gi
Cyndi Becker
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: july-2017
Cesca Shakespeare is stuck. Just plain stuck. She just can't seem to move past disappointment, failure from what she deems a gross misconduct of professionalism performed by one Sam Carlton. At 18 she was set to be the biggest new play write in all of London. And now, 6 years later, she can't keep a job, any job. So begins Carrie Elks latest novel Summer's Lease.

This is the second book by Carrie Elks that I've had the pleasure of reading. Her writing is smart, the characters are complex and her
M.B.
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I ADORE Carrie Elks' books. They're feel good, easy reads that make you care about the characters. Her writing style is very fluid and whisks you away into the lives of imaginary people.

Summer's Lease is no different. I honestly felt so much pity and sorrow for Cesca in the beginning, I wanted her to succeed, to get a happy ever after.

When she goes to Italy, through the descriptions, I felt as if I was there beside her, breathing in the fresh air of Lake Como and soaking in the rays of the sun.

C
Mrs
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Summers lease is a wonderful romantic story. Cesca's life could not get any worse, continually losing employment, writers block and no money she has hit rock bottom. This has all come about when play she had written 6 years previously had bombed on its opening night due to the lead actor Sam Carlton walking away the day before without a word.
Sam is now a major Hollywood star and Cesca blames him for all her troubles. Her godfather persuades her to go to Italy to help out at a villa there, he fee
NoNe
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this sweet tale of two relatively young people who had both met under interesting circumstances some years before.

The author is one of my few contemporary favourites, and I was not disappointed with this new offering which I highly recommend.

I like how the story developed without it being drawn out unnecessarily, the stubbornness of Cesca, combined with Sam's vulnerability, despite his confidence as a Hollywood actor.

I am a new convert to the delights of Italy and wanted more of it. I
J.R.
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Carrie writes some of the best, most flawed people out there. These two were so much fun to read and I love how I didn't even realize I was nearing the end of the book as I flew through their story. All my stars, today. Can't wait for the next sister's story!
Rebecca

This is a book I was excited to read because it sounded like the perfect easy summer read. Woman with writers block escapes to Lake Como to housesit for a family and ends up trapped in a villa with a man she loathes. Who doesn't love hate to love romance set in Italy with a celebrity romantic lead? Ok, it does sound like a bit if a busy story but it still sounds fun

Fun it was. I enjoyed myself reading. I felt a strong urge to sit in the sun and drink wine and do something spontaneous. I
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley, chick-lit
Summer's Lease is such a great feel-good romance, with likable and endearing characters, and a steadily-moving plot which kept me interested and invested in the characters' stories. It was entirely predictable from the very beginning, but most romance stories are! I loved Elks' writing style, with a nice varied use of vocabulary and she really set the scene well. The only thing that stopped me from rating it as a 5* read, was the sex scene halfway through; I'm not prudish by any means, but this ...more
Gabi
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nisam imala nikakva očekivanja kada sam krenula čitati ovu knjigu.
Mogu reći da je to najbolji osjećaj i da me tako knjige uvijek iznenade.

Cesca je osoba koja ima svoje mane i koja me znala par puta toliko naljutiti da sam htjela uči u knjigu i protresti je da dođe sebi. , Pogotovo kad bi razgovarala sa šefovima i čudila se što na kraju dobije otkaz ( mislim stvarno).

Sam je lik koji mi je držao pažnju cijelu knjigu i htjela sam saznati što se dogodilo prije 6 godina da je samo otišao. Nije se
Donna Jones
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore Carrie's writing it has a wonderful flow, and her characters always are well rounded and developed. There is an emotion but not an emotional read where you sob your heart out. This book would make an excellent holiday read especially with it set in Italy. Summers lease is the first of four books about the Shakespeare sisters. The leading lady is Cesca Shakespeare. Cesca is living hand to mouth trying to hold down a job, this time the job is at a cat cafe. Cesca is fired and upon visiting ...more
Merve Özcan
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ya çok tatlıydı.
Goodreads Feedback: Book combined and to-reads lost 9 64 Jun 14, 2017 10:31AM
Goodreads Librari...: Book Combined and to-reads all lost - help! 3 23 Jun 11, 2017 11:33AM
Carrie Elks is an international bestselling author of seven traditionally-published and self-published novels. Her books are sweet yet sexy contemporary romance stories. Her latest book, By Virtue Fall, is now available at all good retailers.

Amazon: http://author.to/CarrieElksAuthor
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CarrieElksAu...
Bookbub: https://www.bookbub.com/authors/carri...
Instagram: https:/

The Shakespeare Sisters (4 books)
  • A Winter's Tale (The Shakespeare Sisters, #2)
  • Absent in the Spring (Shakespeare Sisters, #3)
  • By Virtue Fall (The Shakespeare Sisters #4)