Start by marking “Practicing the King's Economy: Honoring Jesus in How We Work, Earn, Spend, Save, and Give” as Want to Read:

The church in the West is rediscovering the fact that God cares deeply for the poor. More and more, churches and individual Christians are looking for ways to practice economic discipleship, but it's hard to make progress when we are blind to our own entanglement in our culture's idolatrous economic beliefs and practices.

Practicing the King's Economy cuts through much conf
Published April 17th 2018 by Baker Books

To ask other readers questions about Practicing the King's Economy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Practicing the King's Economy

Felicity W
Full RTC. DNFed this one. I didn’t give it a rating because I didn’t even read the first chapter. I didn’t have any interest in this book.
May 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
My experience with this book alternated between good and bad. Some parts of it are inspiring and practical. Some parts I do not agree with (although I acknowledge I could be wrong). This was a very difficult, and sometimes confusing book for me. That’s not necessarily a bad thing. I think the way I reacted to it has a lot to do with my personal background and situation and less to do with the content of the book.

First the good stuff. The authors’ enthusiasm and hope for a better world are contag
Justin Lonas
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Among the perks of working for and with authors is that you get to read, edit, and comment on books before everyone else sees them. This is the case with this volume, due out in April 2018 from Baker books.

Rhodes, Holt, and Fikkert make a compelling exegetical and practical case for a biblical reorientation of our economic lives around a vision of Christ’s already-but-not-yet kingdom. This is explored through six keys (worship, community, work, equity, creation care, and rest) each bolstered wi
J.K. Turner
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-challenge
My Rating- Must Read

Level - Easy read, medium length

Summary
The book basically tries to answer the question of what would it look like if we worked, ran businesses, spent money/time, and gave money/time in a way that was entirely shaped by a Biblical World View. After the intro the book is broken into 12 chapters that are based on the six 'keys' to practicing 'the King's Economy'. One chapter will introduce the key and the next is a shorter chapter that gives examples of how that key works in the
Joshua
Rhodes and Holt penned Practicing the King's Economy: Honoring Jesus in How We Work, Earn, Spend, Save, and Give in 2018 through Baker Books. It's a delight. (And I'm not just saying that because Rhodes ministers in the Memphis community!) The two authors make extensive use of the Old Testament as a well from which one can draw socio-ethical norms rather than merely as a place from which one learns one's depravity in the face of god. In addition to their deft use of Torah and Nevi'im, the author ...more
Joan
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Every kingdom has an economic system and the authors present the system for the kingdom of God and what it looks like in the twenty-first century. What the authors present is certainly different than what has been promoted by the contemporary evangelical church. One might have thought that a free market economy and an emphasis on profit was God's gift to U.S. Christians.

These authors set the record straight, emphasizing what the Bible says about six areas. We read about worship and how money ca
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-living
I received a copy of the book for free from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

Practicing the King's Economy is a book that explores the Biblical concepts of economy through "keys"from Scripture. Each key is assigned a chapter to explain it (using Scripture) and then a follow up chapter with real world application for self, church, and business.

The keys are worship, community, work, equity, creation care, and rest.

This book took a couple weeks to wade through. I recommend no more th
Carol
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
yay - but like I said - you can take it or leave it but this book backs it up with Scripture - I liked it. I hope you do too. I received a copy of this book from the Publisher from Netgalley; sll the opinions expressed in this review are all my own.
if you would like to read more of my ChristiPracticing The King's Economy is how CHRIST would want us to practice how to take care of our finances - Biblically - this book gives you the tools to do this. It isn't a fluff piece - it an In depth book.
Shaun Lee
May 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is an easy to read and inspirational book, whereby the authors’ love for the poor and marginalised is put forth in a matter of fact manner. Encouraging and challenging accounts of likeminded community work are aplenty and one would inevitably reflect on life - if we have been loving others as God would.

We all interpret Scripture with different lenses. This reviewer does it through an expositionary and biblical theology framework; conversely the authors utilise a proof texting method.

For ex
Kevin Cullis
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I generally liked nearly everything the authors discuss. I have two issues with their content: God "owns" everything and of the issue of "sacrificing" and the constant term used in Christian content regarding profit is "giving." But that's for more research on my part.

LOVED the discuss around the issue of the Sabbath, I think both Chick-Fil-A and Hobby Lobby point to this very positive issue for any business. Suggest also watching "A Dangerous Business" on Frontline/PBS to see similar results w
Susan Lindemulder
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well written and thought-provoking. The writers set out their "keys", backing each up from the Word of God, and then give examples of how individuals and groups are practially living those keys in today's world. Very insightful and a good read for every believer.
Drew Bennett
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Full of practical advice about how to move towards doing justice, loving mercy and walking humbly with God.
Joe Greene
Mar 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
It went off the rails with the organic food gibberish and made me question the supposed research behind everything up to that point. Great idea, but the authors were clearly out of their depth.
Kendall McNeil
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is such an incredible book with such transformational Scripture and commentary. Go Michael Rhodes, a local Memphis author! I highly recommend!!
Jason Park
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, reading-in-2018
A radical, life-changing exploration of King Jesus’ economy and what it could mean for our lives as Christians. My full review: https://medium.com/@jpark_21/practici...
Lindsey
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good in many ways, but it also felt inapplicable to me in many ways since I am not a business owners, employer, etc.
Bennett Rutherford
Alexis
Apr 24, 2018
Al Campbell
Oct 21, 2018
  • Walking with the Poor: Principles and Practice of Transformational Development
  • The Moral Imagination: The Art and Soul of Building Peace
  • The Next Evangelicalism: Freeing the Church from Western Cultural Captivity
  • My Hands Came Away Red
  • Reading Backwards: Figural Christology and the Fourfold Gospel Witness
  • God and the Transgender Debate: What does the Bible actually say about gender identity?
  • Angels in the Architecture: A Protestant Vision for Middle Earth
  • Whose Community? Which Interpretation?: Philosophical Hermeneutics for the Church
  • Losing Our Virtue
  • Back to Jerusalem: Three Chinese House Church Leaders Share Their Vision to Complete the Great Commission
  • Raising Men, Not Boys: Shepherding Your Sons to be Men of God
  • Same-Sex Attraction and the Church: The Surprising Plausibility of the Celibate Life
  • The Story of With: A Better Way to Live, Love, & Create
  • Still Evangelical? Ten Insiders Reconsider Political, Social, and Theological Meaning
  • Fools Rush in Where Monkeys Fear to Tread
  • Spiritual Maturity
  • Flourishing: Why We Need Religion in a Globalized World
  • Man Alive: Transforming Your Seven Primal Needs into a Powerful Spiritual Life
Michael Rhodes is the Director of Community Transformation at the Memphis Center for Urban Theological Studies, where he heads up efforts to equip urban pastors and non-profit leaders with theologically informed tools for community development. Previously, Rhodes served as the Director of Education at Advance Memphis, a neighborhood non-profit offering job training, financial literacy education, G ...more
“I do not believe one can settle how much we ought to give. I am afraid the only safe rule is to give more than we can spare. In other words, if our expenditure on comforts, luxuries, amusements, etc., is up to the standard common among those with the same income as our own, we are probably giving away too little. If our charities do not at all pinch or hamper us, I should say they are too small. There ought to be things we should like to do and cannot do because our charitable expenditure excludes them. C. S. Lewis” 0 likes
“I see us free, therefore, to return to some of the most sure and certain principles of religion and traditional virtue—that avarice is a vice . . . and the love of money is detestable. . . . But beware! The time for all this is not yet. For at least another hundred years we must pretend to ourselves and to everyone that fair is foul and foul is fair; for foul is useful and fair is not. Avarice and usury and precaution must be our gods for a little longer still. For only they can lead us out of the tunnel of economic necessity into daylight. John Maynard Keynes,” 0 likes