Jump to ratings and reviews
One battle is over, but the war has just begun. They escaped the Five Realms and have found a home, but peace is much harder to find. The aftermath of the Battle of Sarikar should have been a time to mourn those lost in the slaughter. The enemies of Armania are many, however, and when one steps back to regroup, another surges forward in attack.

While the remnant must take responsibility for the evil they brought to Er'Rets, it would seem that something just as dark already existed in this new world. The growing struggle between Armania and Barthel Rogedoth is but a pale reflection of a far more dangerous battle for the souls of humanity.

And so begins this awe-inspiring conclusion to Jill Williamson's Kinsman Chronicles. The Hadar family and their allies prepare to make one final stand in the name of Arman. There shall be war--in Er'Rets and in the Veil--to vanquish evil or be ruled by darkness.

672 pages, Paperback

First published June 19, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Jill Williamson

49 books1,414 followers
Jill Williamson is an award-winning fantasy and science fiction author of over twenty books including By Darkness Hid, which won several awards and was named a Best Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror novel by VOYA magazine. She has also written several books on the craft of writing and teaches at www.GoTeenWriters.com, one of Writer’s Digest’s “101 Best Websites for Writers.”

Jill's author website.
Jill's Amazon Author page.
Jill's Instagram.
Jill's Facebook page.

Follow Jill on Pinterest.

Click here for a FULL LIST OF Jill's BOOKS.

Writing books:

Newest Series:

Thirst Duology

Fan favorites:

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (<1%)
1 star
1 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 29 of 49 reviews
Profile Image for Deborah O'Carroll.
460 reviews94 followers
December 14, 2018
KING’S WAR by Jill Williamson is the conclusion to the Kinsman Chronicles—which is a prequel series to one of my favorite fantasy series! This sweeping epic fantasy novel takes place in the land of Er’Rets (which made me super happy, because I love the Blood of Kings Trilogy. ;)).

The first book in the Kinsman Chronicles, KING’S FOLLY, was good—if rather dark for my taste; but I adored some of the characters and it was exciting.

The second book, KING’S BLOOD (man, I should have known from that title...), got way too dark for me and left me utterly devastated over a character death I still haven’t recovered from over a year later. *cough* I was kiiinda disappointed—and therefore worried about the next one.

However, I’m thrilled to say that KING’S WAR, book 3, was the best of the trilogy, and I really enjoyed it!

I particularly loved how it took place in the same land as the Achan books (as I call them), and how it started linking up to so many things that I knew from that world! Names, places, history, cultures, magic, etc. And the “feel” was much more like the epic fantasy that I enjoy, and less of the darkness and grittiness of the first two books. (There’s still grittiness in this one, but it’s just much more enjoyable otherwise, somehow. XD)

There were several months between my reading the second book and this one, so it did take me a little while to pick up all the threads and characters—I’m pretty sure there are still a few things that I never quite remembered. XD But once I got back into it, I was sucked completely into this fantasy world and its wonders and politics and characters’ adventures.

I loved the writing. Some of it was funny. The characters were enjoyable (other than the ones we properly loathe. :P). I was surprised by new and different things, and felt at home with familiar ones. It was huge, but pretty worth it in the end. ^_^

Particularly those characters I mentioned. ;) A certain happening from book two is still very much Not Okay. But I was able to get over it and enjoy the story all the same. :P

I still love Kalenek, and Trevn—usually. XD Oli as well, and his character arc, which was fantastic. I started liking Grayson more—he really does a lot in this one. And Hinck—who I never really cared as much about as I might have for some reason—I finally decided was pretty cool! One of my absolute favorite scenes featured him and Princess Saria (also a cool character) in a library and just YES. I loved it! :D

I also loved all the veil stuff and the bloodvoicing and doing all the excitement around the castle. ^_^ So exciting! I remember being a little unsure about some of the conclusions, and it still is a little more gritty/adult at times, but not as much as the previous two books. On the whole, it was a great book, and they fight giants and against evil, and there's epic battles and basically it’s a thrilling adventure. :D

Overall, it’s rather long, and you have to get through a lot of long, dark pages to get to it, what with the two previous books (though they had their good moments too!). But if you do, it’s well worth reading this one—especially if you’re a fan of Blood of Kings. Another excellent read from Jill Williamson!

Now excuse me while I go put BY DARKNESS HID and its two sequels on my TBR for a long-overdue re-read...

(Also, THAT COVER. <3 )

Thanks to the author and Bethany House Publishers for the free copy of this book. I was not required to write a positive review, and these opinions are entirely my own.

[A note on the “books” in the Kinsman Chronicles. The paperbacks are three books: King’s Folly, King’s Blood, and King’s War. The ebooks are nine ebooks, and three of each of those are collected in each of the paperback volumes. I know, it’s kinda confusing. XD If you’re curious about the series, you can pick up the first of those nine ebooks (Darkness Reigns, the first third of King’s Folly) for free on Kindle to try it out.]

(Review originally posted on my book blog: https://thepagedreamer.wordpress.com/...)
Profile Image for Shantelle.
Author 2 books352 followers
Read
July 5, 2018
Hmm. Some parts were awesome! But on a whole, I just wasn't feeling it and don't know what to rate it, so I'm going to leave it unrated ...

***

King's War is the third and final installment to Jill Williamson's THE KINSMAN CHRONICLES. Although I loved the first two books, I'm unsure of how I feel about the conclusion to the epic fantasy series.

Jill Williamson did an awesome job of worldbuilding, crafting these characters, and plotting out a massive and intricate storyline. But King's War was a slow read for me. For the most part, it was enjoyable, as it didn't take me too terribly long to finish all 672 pages; but it felt like nothing new and exciting happened. Granted, there were some big and intense going-ons ... yet it wasn't quite the conclusion I'd expected.

Nevertheless, it was good to be reunited with Trevn, Mielle, and the rest of the large cast of characters. Well, there were a few nasty ones I wasn't particularly overjoyed to see, but ... yes. (ha.)

I found the spiritual realm/faith allegory to be interesting and thought-provoking. In some ways, King's War is just very fantastical, but in other ways I think it can give us an idea of what goes on in the spiritual realm. Our enemy isn't flesh and blood! The characters in this story had to realize that, and I found it to be a compelling part of this journey.

The ending was both sobering and nice, and it was cool to think of how years later Achan (from THE BLOOD OF KINGS series) would come along and a whole new epic journey would begin.

Overall, I don't know what to rate this book, but I'm glad I read it and finished the series!

I received a copy of King's War from the author and/or Bethany House Publishers in exchange for my honest review.
Profile Image for Sam Graber.
5 reviews
June 5, 2018
An epic conclusion to a fantastic trilogy. Jill Williamson weaves a complex web of fantasy politics that keeps you guessing up until the end and makes for a fascinating read.

I love how Jill builds on the relationship between Trevn and Mielle past marriage. It's painful to see them go through struggles, but so neat to see them work through them, and a good example for real life marriages.

I really enjoyed how the magic builds and develops throughout the story as new abilities are unlocked or learned by the characters.

I also liked Oli's journey with struggling with his dark past.
Profile Image for Christian Fiction Addiction.
689 reviews314 followers
August 6, 2018
Gathering the last 3 instalments of the epic "Kinsman Chronicles" series into one final, captivating novel, "King's War" offers up a stirring conclusion to what has been a fascinating series from start to finish. Fans of Jill Williamson who have been following these characters since the release of the first ebook, "Darkness Reigns", will no doubt delight in returning to the tale of the people of the Five Realms, to watch the Kinsman remnant's final battle with a great evil. Although it has been over a year since I last encountered these characters, I was quickly swept back up into the story and a world of magic and blood-voicing, of impossible gifts and prophecies and a whole world hidden behind the Veil.

Williamson has crafted a complex and intriguing world, and though it may take readers some time to reconnect all the pieces and follow the different story arcs, they are going to love joining these characters in their journeys. While this book is on the hefty side with over 600 pages, I enjoyed every moment and was honestly sad to see the story come to an end. The author has truly breathed life into this tale, with characters you can't help but cheering on, even those who seem to be (or definitely are!) on the wrong side. Williamson does a great job of exploring how people are not all good or all evil, but often are a blend between the two, with even those on the "right" side making choices they shouldn't. Plenty of action and drama keeps the plot moving along and held my interest right up to the riveting (and hoped for) conclusion. Williamson's unique take on good versus evil, set in a fabulous fantasy world, is absolutely a winner in my opinion.

"King's War" is all that you could hope for in a conclusion to what has proven to be a stellar series of fantasy novels. I award this book a solid 4 out of 5 stars, and look forward to what Jill Williamson is going to dream up next!

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.
Profile Image for Faye.
1,654 reviews
July 4, 2018
Picking up in the aftermath of the previous book, the Remanant are settling into Er'Rets, and Trevyn is king of Armania, and he must set up his government, make alliances, and know his enemies. He struggles to make peace with the nobles and prove himself as a warrior and king, as well as learn to use the new magic that Arman has given them, in preparation for the coming war against Barthel Rogedoth.

I was thrilled to read the conclusion of The Kinsman Chronicles. It had been a year since I read the previous book so it did take some time to orient myself again with the characters and what was at stake. I really liked how this book makes the connection to The Blood of Kings Series more clear as they settle into Er'Rets and learn more of the mysterious blood voicing, and establishing the House of Hadar.

One of my favorite characters in this book was Olli Argos, which really surprised me, but his character arc was so well done, when I met him in King's Folly, when he was a mantic,I had no idea what his future would hold. Olli struggles to feel worthy of Arman's love, he is faithful and self-sacrificing, discerning, and is genuinely grieved by his past. I especially admired his choice to continue to stand with Trevyn against even his own family.

Grayson, though he has the body and responsibilities of a man, is still a boy. I liked how he continued to mature into his destiny, and gaining wisdom, with a pure, child-like faith, he bravely meets every challenge head on.

Trevyn also is faced with many new responsibilities as king, he has many enemies, and many of the nobles doubt his qualifications to sit on the throne. He works to show himself a leader, I admired his ability to take charge, unafraid to change tradition, forging a new way into light. It's amazing how he has grown throughout this series from the adventurous rooftop jumping boy to a king.

The books also follows Kal, Onika, Charlon, and a few more. I liked even though I there was a lot to not like about Charlon, I still cared for her as a character, she is strong and loves fiercely. And I really liked how the whole Shanek storyline came together throughout the book, intriguing, yet heartbreaking and bittersweet.

This is a challenging book to review, because so much happened within 672 pages, and there's so much I want to say. Jill Williamson has outdone herself in taking us back to Er'Rets and the origins of the House of Hadar, with fantastic world-building, character development, and faith. Multiple storylines entwine and diverge with complexity all leading up the the culmination with the battle between Armania and the dark powers from the Lowerworld. Old Testament themes set in a new fantasy world, full of adventure, daring, betrayal, magic, faith, friendship, and love. A fantastic conclusion to a worthy saga.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and testimonials in Advertising."
Profile Image for Lavay Byrd.
Author 14 books11 followers
December 27, 2020
Oh, my goodness, where to begin?

The moment I opened the first page of this highly thrilling epic conclusion of the Kinsman Chronicles, I found myself unable to put it down... unless I had to. Every single page/scene/character POVs kept me captured from start to finished. It was THAT GOOD! Better than good. It was AMAZING!

Unlike King's Folly and King's Blood, King's War follows Treven, newly crowned King of Armania, as he struggles to not only defend his people from powerful enemies, but also to build his people's trust and faith... and his trust in Arman.

Appropriately named, "King's War" encompasses three different wars: A war within the souls of compelling and real characters, a war between nations, and a war for the souls of humanity. Every action and sudden twists keeps you on suspense to the very end. They'll even give you a twist of what is to come in Jill William's debut: the Blood of Kings Trilogy. The only sad thing is... that it was over... (but not without a happy ending!) (Oh, did I mention that I finished the entire book in four days?)

Once more, Jill Williamson's Kinsman Chronicles has grown stronger and more beautiful, ending with a triumphant finale! I will certainly read it again and again, looking more forward to "Blood of Kings"!

*I received an advance reader's copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.*
Profile Image for Marian Baay.
Author 5 books55 followers
April 2, 2018
When I first started reading The Kinsman Chronicles, it took me quite some time to get into the book since there are many story lines and characters. But by the time, I began reading King’s War, the main characters—the good guys—had become my friends.
The final parts of this series were really enjoyable. I like the way the author portrayed man’s half-heartedness in serving God—there is always the lure to serve false gods – or to partly serve God and partly serve demons. What bothers me, though, is Grayson’s use of magic; which has a strong similarity and connection to the magic of the bad guys. I do not see how this could be part of Arman’s war.
The settings of the Blood of the King series become more clear. Names, places and circumstances truly come alive in King’s War.
After finishing King’s War, I started rereading the whole series. Now that I know all of the characters and places, it is very enjoyable to go back to the beginning and relive the adventures of the Kinsman Chronicles.
Jill Williamson has done a remarkable job. Not perfect, in my opinion, but taking into consideration the great amount of characters and locations, she did a very good job.
Profile Image for DustBunniesAndBooks.
108 reviews5 followers
July 3, 2018
Fantastic series! Hated to see it end.

This is the third and final book in the Kinsman Chronicles. This series has an amazing storyworld, realistic and relatable characters, and tons of action with some plot twists. I held myself back from devouring this final book as I wanted to savor every word and keep it from ending for as long as possible. It was everything I was expecting. I bought a copy for myself, another for my older daughter, and yet another for my church library. I must have been overly anxious to make sure I pre-ordered it because I somehow ended up with a fourth copy! Yeah, it's that good.

If you've read the rest of the series, definitely don't miss this one. And if you haven't read the series and you love fantasy, then do yourself a favor and immerse yourself in this world!
Profile Image for Rebekah Gyger.
484 reviews66 followers
July 10, 2018
One thing I always wondered after reading From Darkness Won was how well Achan' people responded to his rule after his coronation, due to his youth and his not having been raised as a prince. King's War goes into this with Trevn, though this young Sâr has a greater uphill battle to wage for his people's loyalty, especially since so few trust and serve the will of Arman. But he also has to overcome his own unpreparedness and the newness of blood voicing magic, something Achan's people had a lot of experience with by the time his story came about.

The number of POV characters this time around was a little bit of an issue for me. Some of my favorite characters, like Sir Kalenek and Hinck, did not appear as often as I would have liked them too, while characters like Qoatch had more page time than I would have liked. But, that seems to be the way of epic fantasy, and I don't begrudge the depth of narrative achieved through some of my least favorite characters.

I am so happy that Jill dove into the history of Armania and the origin of its magic system. Though I'm not fully convinced that every connection between the two series was made as well as I had hoped, I am still pleased with the depth of history and world building (And kind of hoping now for a trilogy that would even predate this one, going into the history of how Armania fell away from worship of Arman alone and how the five realms came to be). This series will never trump that of the Blood of Kings, but it is a good read of its own and one that I am glad to have added to my shelves.

I have provided an honest review after having received a copy of the book from the author.
Profile Image for Rebekah Lawler.
267 reviews1 follower
September 24, 2018
Jill Williamson is one of my favorite fantasy authors, and I'm so excited that the final book in the Kinsman Chronicles is finally out! I enjoyed seeing all the characters again, and finding out how their story ends. It was an epic conclusion to a great series!

There is definitely a lot going on in this book which can be overwhelming at times. There were still several minor characters who I didn't know, but I was okay with that because they weren't essential to the story. But the characters that did matter were well developed, and I enjoyed seeing the struggles they went through. Many of them had to fight their insecurities and doubts, and there was enough time in the book for them to fail and redeem themselves which I liked.

I also enjoyed the conflict that occurred between several of the characters. Although they are very likeable characters, none of them are perfect, and they have to live with the consequences of their actions. But the characters consider their options before making decisions, but know that they will mess up. In all, all the characters are very human which I appreciated.

Overall, this is a fantastic series that I would recommend to anyone who likes epic fantasy, believable characters, and an engaging plot. I am sad that I have to leave this world and these characters after spending so long with them, but I look forward to more of Jill's books. I know that they will be full of action and be a story that will stay with me for a long time.
Profile Image for Jennie Webb.
444 reviews9 followers
June 22, 2018
Wow! What an awesome conclusion to this epic trilogy!! Now I'm gonna have to go back and read the Blood of Kings series. :)
I loved the portrayal of the battle in the spiritual realm as well as the physical. And how the Armanians learned to trust in the God, Arman, and grew in their faith in him. And how they learned to use His power, and that even if they could not defeat the enemy, God could! A great lesson for all of us, when we are tempted to do things in our own strength.
I was hoping for a better outcome for Charlon, but alas... (However, I am not going to be the one who tells you what happens!) I love Hinck and Saria-they may be my favorites in this book! And, of course, Grayson rocks! And Miss Onika, though I hate one part of what happens to her.
This is a huge book, which I love. Things ended well, but not perfectly, of course, as life is not perfect. I actually feel like there could be another book, just sayin', though I know Jill probably does not want to hear that right now. ;)
I recommend this series to anyone who loves fantasy books like Tolkien, Lewis, Stephen Lawhead, etc. You should definitely start with the first one in the series, though! Don't try to read this one first. #1 is King's Folly, #2 is King's Blood, and then this one.
Thanks, Jill!

Profile Image for Victoria Howell.
113 reviews13 followers
September 27, 2018
It was a great conclusion for the books! An unusual ending for the bad guy but I liked it. 3:)
Profile Image for Lucy Buller.
448 reviews79 followers
January 9, 2019
IT'S OVER AND I'M SAD AND IT WAS SO GOOD AND I NEED MORRRRRRE
Review:
This review was originally posted on That Book Gal.
This series has been quite the ride. I have always loved Jill’s books and her amazing writing, but every book is somehow better than the last, yet the first is so good.
This book is huge. Like so long. But it’s seriously addicting. I honestly couldn’t put it down, and it’s a heavy book(like super heavy)
I have adored watching the characters in this series stretch and grow, and it seems almost unbelievable that the ones who finish this series are the very same ones that opened it.
The growth we see is something you could expect over a seven book series, or even a lifetime. Yet Jill delivers them within three books, and it doesn’t feel forced at all, but very, very right. I loved the growth we got to see in even just the secondary characters, namely Oli and Hinck.
This of course, leads into the next thing I want to say about this book. Theres soooo many POVs used in the course of the story, but this is multiple POVs done RIGHT! It’s not confusing, it isn’t just thrown in there for fun. The POVs help along the story, and rather than feeling like a cop-out(like some POV switches can be), it strengthens the story.
While this story works great as a stand-alone series, it’s so much more fun if you’ve read the Blood of Kings trilogy. Even though it’s been a couple years since my last reread, I loved the connections I could find, and how everything’s connects! I cannot wait to reread the Blood of Kings books now that I’ve read all of these! I may just abandon my TBR and start a reread… (just kidding) (maybe)
Everything in this books is just masterfully well done. Even characters who were even weren’t beyond sympathy and even when I hated them I couldn’t hate the completely. Unlike some evil character who just become a catch-all for everyone’s hate, and are so very evil and just like never… it’s hard to put into words what I’m trying to say. They weren’t black though and through? Like they were human in the end. They had fear and love and they weren’t just evil in a human body, if that makes sense.
So much happens in this book, it kind of feels like two books. Like so. much. goes. down. (Maybe that’s why they split it up into serialized releases!)
I just really really loved this book y’all. I literally have nothing negative to say. NOTHING. that never happens!
I loved everything and I can barely say it all because I don’t want to spoil this book for anyone! It’s dark and yet so full of hope. It’s enthralling and masterfully written. The world is stunning and comfortable. I am so sad that this series is over, I may just go ahead and reread Blood of Kings. I just fell in love with these characters and this series and while I am so in love with this book I can’t help but feel so sad that it’s over. It’s been such an adventure ❤
6 reviews13 followers
June 8, 2018
Wow I can't believe that this series is over! Such a good, satisfying way to end the series. Full of battles and magic with plot twists while still having some fun character interactions throughout the book. I ended up appreciating some of the characters much more in this books because we get to read their point of view and spend more time with them; so I was still able to enjoy the characters and the book even though my favorite from the first two books was not in this one. As someone who has been a huge fan of Williamson's Blood of Kings series, I really loved getting to see the history and making connections with names and locations; however, while I highly recommend the Blood of Kings series, this series can be read on its own and still make perfect sense. Overall, a great book and I'm sad that it's over- guess I'll just have to read it again (and again and again).

(I received a free advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review)
72 reviews36 followers
March 26, 2019
(Actual rating: 4.5 stars)
By ordinary-book standards, King's War was fantastic. Williamson continues to deliver the twists and turns, the exceptional characters, everything that makes this series great. Problem is, King's War isn't quite on the same level as the first two in the series. There are things I loved about it (fascinating magic systems, great development for characters like Grayson, Hinck, and Oli, and the origins of places and peoples in the Blood of Kings books), and things I didn't like so much. It felt a little more predictable than the first two books, if only because it's the third book and you just know things are going to come to a head, the bad guys will be defeated, etc. Also, I'm left feeling like some balls were dropped from the second book, namely the implied romance between Kalenek and Onika; Kal barely got any "screen time" in this book, and we never find out at the end what happened to him, or other characters like Ulrik (who, near the end of the book, was making threats that were never brought to completion). I understand the importance of ending a story early, but after loving certain characters for 1800+ pages over three books, I'd like to know what form their happily-ever-after took, even if it was just a few paragraphs of "Kal did this, Grayson did that, Inolah did that." All that being said, this is still an excellent book and well worth reading, although not my favorite in the series.
Profile Image for Andrew Miller.
107 reviews1 follower
December 1, 2018
Rosar Wilek is dead, and his younger brother Trevn is now the king of Armania. But can Trevn overcome the bias of the nobles and unite the Armanian remnant against Barthel Rogedoth? And what about the natives of Er’Rets? The giant peoples seem to have their own strange magic that could wreak havoc on the Kinsman peoples. Will Trevn’s friendships with the natives of the land be enough to stop the seemingly insurmountable odds pitted against him? And will Arman truly save His remnant from the evil they brought to the land?

King’s War is the third and final book of The Kinsman Chronicles by Jill Williamson. The story begins shortly after the events of King’s Blood, where Trevn discovers he is the new king of Armania. There are many good things about this book, but there are also quite a few problems. There is something to be said of an author willing to tackle epic fantasy. The stories are grand in scope and filled with characters, which Williamson handles well. However, in her case the scale may have gotten too grand. Before I go much further into this review, I should say that I read the book over a period of several months; not because the story was not interesting or engaging enough, but probably more because I did not want to see the series end, and I was busy, and reading other books at the same time. The point of this being said is that I may have a somewhat disjointed view of the story, since I read it over such a broad period of time.

If a person has read the Blood of Kings trilogy, they will recognize many things referenced in those stories present in this book. Much of the ground work for that later series can be seen taking shape here, which is quite enjoyable to witness. That being said, in attempting to tie so many things into the Blood of Kings, a new reader to the world of Er’Rets, that is, someone who has not read the original trilogy, may not understand the significance of certain names or places, and the way in which they are inserted into King’s War might leave the visitor confused as to what the point was of mentioning Moul Rog the Great. I had written earlier in this review that perhaps the scale had become too grand; and I say that because the story seems to have gotten away from Williamson in some places. There are subplots introduced earlier on in the book or in previous books that do not come to fruition. Character relationships that should have some significance receive no resolution. It also would have been nice to have a short snippet of each of the main characters’ thoughts at the end of how things wrapped up. There are so many perspectives the reader is given, but very few of them have any say at the end of the story. It was a rather unfortunate oversight on the part of the author to not allow us some final thoughts with each of the characters with whom we have become familiar over the course of the series.

The introduction of a new form of magic receives no explanation (this is mostly disappointing because of the level of detail given to the magic system in previous books). It could be argued that the lack of explanation in this case serves the story, because it makes the magic seem darker and more mysterious, frightening, even; and yet, it just pops up in the story in one or two scenes and then never makes another appearance. This may lead the reader to wonder what the point was of even introducing this new magic, especially when there are already two magic systems present in the series (or three, if one counts bloodvoicing/Veil magic). If the author was planning another series that would take place in between The Kinsman Chronicles and Blood of Kings, many of the unresolved issues would be acceptable, assuming she was planning on addressing them in that third series. There is certainly enough story material to do so. But that does not seem likely at this point.

Over the course of the three books, the tone of the story seems to shift. This is often the case, I think, in a trilogy. In some ways, the tonal shift is acceptable and contributes to the story, as the trilogy is about a people group coming back to their Creator, and so the story should lighten as it progresses, if the author is intending this return to be a good thing. When I say that there is a tonal shift, I do not mean that the styles are not consistent; that is one thing where King’s War succeeds, as the story feels like it belongs with the other two books. But what I do mean is that the story feels different, as if the themes have changed now that we are on the third book. And granted, it is quite a different story. King’s Folly is about the fall of a civilization; King’s War is about the birth of a civilization (or reestablishment of one, if you prefer). Also, several of the main characters from the first two books are gone from this one, which also lends to giving the story a different feel. And that leads us to talk about characters.

In some cases, character is where this story fails the most. There are several characters who are killed off who seem as though they should have had more significant deaths, or not been killed off at all; or there are relationships that should have been resolved before the characters met their ends. One death in particular receives no commentary from any of the characters, and this is very surprising, because of the significant relationships they had with said character. All in all, the whole thing felt a little rushed.

The ending too of King’s War feels rushed, as though the author had written too many plotlines and the publisher demanded a completed manuscript and so she had no time to finish everything up satisfactorily. In some ways, it is a rather disappointing conclusion to what started out as a very intriguing epic fantasy. This is unfortunate, because the book does have some very good moments. The book ends with a wedding, and this could be taken to signal the new beginning that the remnants of the Five Realms are experiencing. In that sense the ending is very good, a creative method of using story events to mirror the broader scope of the plot. And it mirrors in some ways the end of the Blood of Kings trilogy; that series also ends with a wedding and a coronation. Both trilogies are full of darkness, and ending on this light, hope-filled note shows that there is a bright future in store for those of us who follow the Truth, Jesus Christ.
6 reviews
March 29, 2021
Only minor spoilers, and technically they’re about the previous book, not this one. Overall a great book! I couldn’t put it down, that is, once I picked it up. I had to take a small break after reading King’s Blood. The ending of that book left me shocked, and borderline crushed emotionally. But after 5 days of wearing blacks, one day for each month of mourning in Armania, I picked this book up to continue the story. I enjoyed seeing how things had been put into place for the future events of the “Blood of Kings” trilogy, most lose ends where taken care of, and it leaves you hopeful for the future. My only wish is that I knew where some of the main characters in the blood of kings trilogy come from, who or what people group they descended from, and how we go from where these people groups leave off, to where they’re at in the blood of kings trilogy. Minor issues, and perhaps some that the answer is there, I just missed it. No complaints about this book! 5 stars
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Meagan Myhren-Bennett.
Author 12 books22 followers
July 15, 2018
King's War
The Kinsman Chronicles #3
By Jill Williamson

War is coming to Er'Rets - the remnants of the Five Realms have not settled into a peace in this new land. Those clinging to the old ways with its gods and magic are determined to keep it in this new world. While others seek out new magic with which to enhance their old beliefs. And others specifically the kingdoms of Armania and Sarikar are determined to follow Arman and his teachings. But even among those who seek out the will of Arman temptations to fall into the old ways abound.

Trevn-Rosar Hadar is now king of Armania following the death of his elder brother Wilek. This is a duty Trevn never wanted nor expected to inherit. But no matter how reluctant he might be he's determined to try to do his best to defend his people against the war that was coming.

Armania and Sarikar have allied themselves in the deaths of their respective kings and in their worship of Arman. But there are some who resent the leaving behind of the old gods and the old traditions and they are more than ready to stand against the new king and queen. With those he most trusts aiding him, Trevn hopes to gain the respect and support of his people while offering Princess Saria Pitney whatever support he can in ruling Sarikar.

But the thrones of Armania and Sarikar have captured the eye of King Barthel Rogedoth who desires to defeat and rule both. Chieftess Charlon of Magosia believes the throne of Armania should go to her own son Shanek (who is Barthel's ). Rogedoth holds to the old ways and the old magic while Charlon delves into the new magic that this world offers. Both are against the teachings Arman as they call upon the magic that is at their disposal.

Now there is a considerable amount of fighting throughout this book which with the title King's War should not be surprising. There are several deaths that may surprise reader's in how they come about - I know there was one I didn't at all see coming (not saying which as that would be a total spoiler). Readers who love classics like Tolkien's Lord of the Rings or newer works like Patrick Carr's The Staff and The Sword will enjoy delving into this world.

The Kinsman Chronicles concludes with this book but it is not a quick conclusion to this series. This book is over 600 pages which may sound daunting but there are three parts so if the thought of large books scares think of this rather as 3-books-in-1. And this is not a series that can be read out of order - you must read them from first to last or you will be completely lost. And if it has been awhile since you've read the first two do yourself a huge favor and reread them and give yourselves a refresher you'll be glad you did.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Bethany House with no expectation of a review positive or otherwise - All opinions expressed are mine alone.
Profile Image for Abigail.
42 reviews
February 6, 2021
Actual rating = 3.8 to 4 stars

I found this to be a satisfying conclusion to Jill Williamson's The Kinsman Chronicles. I was disappointed to no longer have Wilek as the main character, but Trevn's character development throughout the book made up for it - to a degree. (I am still not over the turn of events from the previous book!) I did still end up rooting for Trevn. There were several dark moments in this book, and the entire series continued to definitely be an Adult Fantasy series, so reader beware. However, the ultimate ending was pleasant, though some matters were left open ended. I wonder if they addressed in Williamson's other series? Only one way to find out!

Reasons for lower rating:

1. Dark elements = This was the big issue. There had been dark moments in the previous books, so I felt prepared going in. However, I found this book to have some of the darkest moments of all. The dark rituals described and certain characters welcoming shadir (a.k.a demons) to possess them was difficult to read. I was so glad when the casting out and banishing the shadir was introduced. Ultimately, this is a reader's personal decision on whether they want to read this book or not.

2. Spells = Along with the dark elements, the magic usage continued from the first book throughout the rest of the series. I admire that the author kept it contradiction free and it credited her world-building capabilities, but I didn't enjoy them either. Again, up to the reader to decide how they feel about it.

3. Violence = Given that this book was all about war, I was expecting this one. That being said, whenever decapitation, loss of limbs, or excessive blood is mentioned I detract points. It is something I could just do without in books. I have read books that are more descriptive than this one, so it was not as bad as it could have been. If you are into fantasy, you are accustomed to a certain level of violence usually being present. Therefore, whether this level is something you would be comfortable with or not is up to you.

4. Mature under-themes = While nowhere near as prevalent as in the first or second books, some mature under-themes. Pre-marital intercourse leading to the conception of a child is mentioned (hinted as being non-consentual since the one character was being mind-controlled at the time) as well as concubines. I am grateful the author kept these matters as little detailed, but this does subtract points. They are depictions of sin and evil but are present. If you are not comfortable with this, or any of these rating detractions, do not read this book.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Ian.
Author 3 books39 followers
November 8, 2019
This is an epic fantasy novel with all the elements you expect to find in one: an imaginative story world featuring all manner of creatures, special powers, a vast cast of characters, good and bad plus an impending battle that will decide the fate of many of those involved.

I hadn’t read the first two in the series and I didn’t really feel I’d missed much by not having done so. The first third of the book really serves to introduce us to the cast of characters, ‘who’s who in the zoo’ so to speak, what their motivations are and who is aligned to whom. Others who question his rights to assume the title challenge Trevn, the newly anointed King as a result of his brother’s death. Ultimately, this is what initiates the ‘war’ as Barthel Rogedoth believes the anointed successor is a young man, Shanek, who Rogedoth has taken under his wing. Much of the next third of the book involves the various players positioning and preparing themselves for the ensuing battle. And the final third is where much of action really takes place with multiple battles taking place involving different ‘tribes’ who have aligned with one or other of Trevn or Rogedoth.

I appreciated the measured pace of the story. Sometimes authors adopt too fast a pace in such fantasies that can simply serve to bamboozle the reader. When there are so many characters and linkages it’s much easier to manage with a measured pace.

There were some good character arcs in the story. Oli Agoros who struggled to let go of his dark past believing he wasn’t worthy of Arman’s love was especially good to read. I also enjoyed Hinck’s journey as Trevn’s righthand and the allegiance he establishes with Princess Saria. And the bad guys motivations were generally well crafted: power, significance and such like.

The strong undercurrent of magic was interesting, if not at times a little confusing. Both Arman’s and Gazar’s (think God and the Devil) used ‘magic’ through their anointed ones. I liked how the spiritual powers were pivotal to the story and success in battle, however, it was a little confusing when Grayson, one of the good guys, was able to use similar powers as the ‘shadir’ who I simply pictured as demons of various descriptions.

I’ve always wanted to read one of Jill’s stories as they are so highly regarded and I’m pleased to know that I wasn’t disappointed. King’s War is a very good fantasy story, maybe 100 or so pages too long, but very much worth the investment in time to read.

It's a 4.5/5 for me.
2 reviews
June 28, 2018
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for my honest review. All opinions expressed are my own.

King's War is the dramatic conclusion of The Kinsman Chronicles, which takes place 500 years before the Blood of Kings trilogy. When I read the Blood of Kings books, I was fascinated with blood voicing magic. When I found out about the Kinsman Chronicles, I was excited to learn the history behind it. The story will not disappoint! Ms. Williamson does an amazing job with political intrigue between the kingdoms of the Five Realms, and her battle scene description is phenomenal. All in all, the Kinsman Chronicles is a masterfully crafted story. Many points of view come together to weave the narrative, and I love the unique voice each character uses. I still prefer the Blood of Kings books because I love the characters in that series (Sparrow <3), but I would totally recommend The Kinsman Chronicles.

At first, I was a little confused by the fact that the books all originally released in 3 ebook parts per book, but it makes sense now. The books in this series definitely need to be read in order!

***Spoilers ahead***

While I was hooked from the beginning of the series, Mielle's involvement with orphan children started to grate on me. It seemed like that's all she really cared about. Instead of supporting Trevn, she made the orphans her number one priority. After Wilek was killed and Zeroah helped Mielle transition to her role as queen, I expected more of a change in Mielle. Trevn changed and grew up after becoming king, especially toward the end of the book, but there was much less change in Mielle. For that reason, Mielle really started to irritate me.

Otherwise, the characters were very believable, and their motivations made sense. I especially liked Charlon and Oli, because of their internal struggles.
Profile Image for Emily.
560 reviews38 followers
June 23, 2018
A great tragedy has happened. But Armenia must survive, and everyone is looking to Trevn for aid. As he embarks on his newest, if unwanted, adventure, Trevn and his wife Mielle must quickly learn how to protect the nation. Their many enemies will do anything to get rid of them.

King's War picks up the dreadful cliffhanger at the end of King's Blood. This book can never be read as a stand-alone! I never expected that event to happen, and it was certainly painful. But now, my favorite character, Trevn, gets to take over much of the focus of this book.

But enough about that. This book is as complicated and long as first two in this series were. It follows over twenty characters throughout five nations, plus a couple of the tribesmen from this new land. There are complicated politics, magic, battles, and plots from all of the nations to take over the other four.

MOST of the prophecies are fulfilled, but not quite all of them. Those loose ends kind of annoyed me. I understand that, in the history of the storyworld, some of the prophecies Must be fulfilled later. But it felt wrong that these things that I had looked forward to happening for so long didn't happen.

On the whole, though, I enjoyed this book. The character arcs were well-done, the politics were absorbing, and the end was satisfactorily happy. It was a great ending to the Kinsman Saga.

I recommend this book as a NA Christian allegorical fantasy.

I received a complementary copy of this book through the author and NetGalley. All opinions are my own, and I received no compensation for sharing them.
29 reviews
June 26, 2018
King’s War was a fantastic end to an amazing fantasy trilogy. I’ve loved everything I’ve ever read by Jill Williamson, and this book definitely did not disappoint!

The story picks up where Kong’s Blood left off (no spoilers, but it’s a heartbreaking cliffhanger), and jumps into the action with the many characters we’ve followed through the previous two books. I enjoyed watching the characters develop, heal, learn new skills, and rise to their full potential through terrifying challenges. Readers of the Blood of Kings trilogy will also enjoy seeing the places and magic they recognize.

The book wrapped up the trilogy nicely, although there were a few instances where I would have liked a little more wrap-up for certain subplots/character arcs. Obviously there were a lot of characters and subplots to bring together, so it’s understandable that they didn’t get the same amount of depth, but I would have enjoyed a little more in some cases. That’s essentially my only complaint about the book. It made me cry multiple times, so for that I have to give it my overwhelming approval.

Overall, Kong’s War was an enjoyable and satisfying conclusion to an amazing trilogy. If you enjoy epic fantasy with Christian themes, I would highly recommend the Kinsman Chronicles.

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from the author in order to provide an honest review. All opinions expressed are my own.
Profile Image for hpboy13.
865 reviews38 followers
August 23, 2021
It’s a very big compliment to Jill Williamson that I was engrossed in this book, despite how VERY preachy and religious it got.

This book, and the series as a whole, is a very engrossing high fantasy. Despite the cast of characters expanding at an alarming rate, it’s not hard to keep track of the main characters, who are mostly an engaging and likable lot. (Also, I say this all the time, but Hinckdan Faluk is simply the best)

That said, the preachiness got worse in this book, and the god-given powers of the characters became ever more ill-defined – it seems like Arman used his divine power to give the characters any abilities the plot required of them. The final battle, in particular, was silly and dragged on for way too long, as the shadir behaved with almost no internal consistency.

Also, with the benefit of having read the full story, I definitely think Williamson could have streamlined it by excluded a few characters and subplots that never amounted to much.

I don’t think this book, and the series as a whole, was good enough for me to pursue Williamson’s other works, but it was still an engaging dive into high fantasy after I’d spent too long away from the genre.
Profile Image for Carol R Gehringer.
322 reviews19 followers
June 23, 2018
In King’s War, the growing battle between the Kinsman remnant governed by King Trevn of Armania and their enemies led by Barthel Rogedoth leads to a final conflict between good and evil, in Er’Rets and in the Veil (a shadow realm). The final battle is more dangerous than any can imagine, and allies change sides frequently. As new gifts and powers are discovered, new alliances are made and broken. Will the gifts of Arman be able to defeat the armies of enemies? How will the final prophecy be fulfilled?

Williamson produces another well-written volume with complex characters and plot twists. Although it is a lengthy tome (even longer than the previous two volumes!), the multiple points of view are identified by the character’s name at the beginning of each chapter. Originally published as three shorter ebooks: The Reluctant King, A Deliverer Comes, and Warriors of the Veil, King’s War concludes this epic fantasy satisfactorily.

Inspired by the corrupt kings of Israel, Williamson’s series is more appropriate for adults and young adults. Each volume includes a list of the key players, a map, and an author’s note; discussion questions and other supplemental material is available on her website. The Kinsman Chronicles serves as a prequel to Williamson’s The Blood of Kings trilogy, set 500 years later.
Profile Image for Jessica Dowell.
82 reviews5 followers
July 4, 2018
I received this book in exchange for my honest review. The opinions expressed are my own.

The final chapter of The Kinsman Chronicles finds Armania on the brink of war and Trevn trying to prepare for it as best he can, all while adjusting to his new role as King. A role he never wanted. I loved this as a reader because part of what attracted me, and I think many readers, to Trevn was the fact that he did not want to rule. Readers who loved Trevn the Renegade in the first two books will love him even more as he rises to this new challenge of ruling.

One of the things I love about this series is that the supporting characters get their own story arc. In King’s War we learn a little bit more about Oli’s background and watch him grow as a character. I really enjoyed his storyline.

There were themes of waiting on God’s timing and the consequences of taking the easy route, accepting forgiveness and redemption, loving someone even when they are a terrible person, and unselfishly choosing to love someone because of how it benefits them.

While I would have liked a bit more of an epilogue, the ending was completely appropriate. It tied up important storylines, and left others open, paving the way for The Blood of Kings series. I look forward to revisiting that series next!

Thank you again for another epic read, Jill Williamson!
Profile Image for Carol.
733 reviews2 followers
June 20, 2018
King's War is a fantastic epic book. It is all about - in one word - relationships - relationship with mand and man. Relationships with man and woman. Relationships with woman and woman. Most importantly with human kind and their Heavenly FATHER. JEHOVAH. The author was so masterful in her ability in how to show each one and how they interact with each other. She pegged things to a T. The adventure comes to a n eventful close and it is sad to see it go - it was a wonderful ride and journey - you see in your mind the whole thing like a movie - that is how clear the author made it for the readers - now the one thing I will say is that it would be extremely hard for someone - I think - to pick up this book as an alone book - I think you would need to have read the other two - but that is my opinion - so you could understand where they are - why they are where they are - who ALL of them are. I received a copy of this book from the Publisher and Netgalley; all of the opinions expressed in this review are all my own.

if you would like to read more of my Christian book reviews go to christianlybookreviewers.blogspot.com - I look forward to seeing you there.
Author 4 books17 followers
June 21, 2018
The masters of epic fantasy have several things in common. Characters that you can identify with, even want to be, along side characters that repulse you. An intricate world that sucks you in. A roller coaster plot that makes it practically impossible to put the book down. Jill Williamson Kinsman Chronicles (King’s Folly, King’s Blood, King’s War) is the latest member of this elite group.

There are realistic characters that grow and change and struggle within themselves. The series offers a roller coaster ride with sudden twists and turns as it focuses on different characters. But the piece de resistance is the world she builds. It’s a completed world that reveals it’s labyrinthine self as you move through the books. From the magical to the mundane everything in this world fits together like a beautiful mosaic. And the magic…the magic is unique, powerful, and surprising. I loved it.

I haven’t read anything like it since I read The Lord of the Rings. Such is the quality of this series.
Profile Image for Michelle Kidwell.
Author 39 books72 followers
July 1, 2018

King's War
by Jill Williamson
Bethany House

Bethany House Publishers
Christian
Pub Date 19 Jun 2018

I am reviewing a copy of King’s War through Bethany House Publishers and Netgalley:

The battle is over but the war just started. The Battle of Sarikar should have been a time to mourn all the loss all the slaughter. They escaped the five realms and found a home, but finding a home and finding peace are two very different things. Unfortunately the enemies of Armania are many but when one steps back to regroup another group surges forward ready to attack.

The Remnant must take responsibility for the evil they brought to Er Rets but it seems that something just as dark had already existed in that new world. The battle between Armania and Barthel Rogedoth is just a small reflection of a much darker and harrowing battle for The Souls of Humanity.

I give King’s War five out of five stars!

Happy Reading!
Displaying 1 - 29 of 49 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.