Start by marking “Robert B. Parker's Buckskin (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #10)” as Want to Read:
Robert B. Parker's Buckskin (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #10)

Robert B. Parker's Buckskin

(Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch #10)

Itinerant lawmen Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch pursue a vicious killer in the grittiest entry yet of the New York Times bestselling series.

After Marshals Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch lay Appaloosa's sheriff to rest, an emerging handful of men eagerly vie for the deceased sheriff's vacant office. No sooner are various campaigns underway when gold is discovered in the footh
Published May 7th 2019 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

Kathy
May 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I've only read a few of the Cole & Hitch books, but I enjoy entering into that Old West and the need for lawmen. They are certainly needed in the area of Appaloosa where gold is being mined by two criminal opposing forces. There is also the additional thread of a young man and his criminal path until he finally reaches his goal and we discover the reason for the title, Buckskin.
Joan
May 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The discovery of gold in the foothills outside Appaloosa pits two locals against each other. With hired guns on both sides, it isn’t long before folks start disappearing. Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch have their hands full trying to keep the rivals from all-out war while, at the same time [and unknown to them], a killer bent on vengeance heads for town.

In this, the tenth outing for Virgil and Everett, most of the expected characters make an appearance. The intriguing subplot involving the young
Hapzydeco
Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Time for a new author. The Parker family needs to find someone else to continue this series. Someone who will support Robert B. Parker’s western style.
Jennifer Ladd
Jun 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Still love the characters. Crazy side story
LInda L
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved all Robert Parker's books about Virgil and Everett and I love Robert Knott's as well. This one was a bit confusing with all the different characters and kind of a separate story. The main one was was with Cole and Hitch and all their difficulties with lawlessness and in Cole's life there is always Allie to contend with. Then in a completely different story, there is the nameless killer boy and his sturdy companion. Both of them are looking for someone and the culmination of all this is i ...more
Bob Cantrell
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch are at it again this time the core of the story is a feud between two mining companies both located in Appaloosa. The story starts fast and doesn't slow down. There is a parallel story in this book and there is a jumping back and forth between the stories. Now this might be a bit off putting to some readers, but I was okay with it. The parallel story deals with a character that doesn't reveal his name to the end of the book. The stories do connect at a point in the ...more
John Walker
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The tenth entry of Cole And Hitch there is a celebration and why not its Appaloosa's tenth anniversary as a town. Now in these ten years Appaloosa has grown and in this book its continued grown brings problems like the discovery of gold close by. Because the gold is found on neighboring land there are two different companies with eye on the others mines, which bring about some hired guns and of course that can only lead to trouble for our lawmen Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch.
now this story would
Bookreporter.com Mystery & Thriller
I spent a lot of my early years with westerns: books, movies, television series, comics. I’m not sure what happened, but the genre has faded, though it hasn’t gone away entirely. What is still there remains very, very good. One of the best is Robert B. Parker’s Cole and Hitch series. Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch are U.S. marshals based out of the growing town of Appaloosa in the New Mexico territory during the last quarter of the 19th century. The series has been written very ably by Robert Kno ...more
Bookreporter.com Historical Fiction
Ed
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
#10 in the Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch series. This 2019 entry is #6 written by author Robert Knott, after the first 4 were written by series originator Robert B. Parker. The writing by Knott continues to improve, in plotting and storyline. The secondary plot here, of a young killer who is seduced by the mysterious wife of a teamster is told in interspersed, italicized chapters. This is definitely not my preferred method of presentation, but it was effective. This was a quick moving , fast rea ...more
Michael O'Leary
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Robert Knott continues with another great story in the late Robert Parker's Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch Western series. Knott has done a remarkable job with continuing this series. This latest novel is his sixth in the series since the sudden death of Robert B. Parker in 2010. If you enjoy Westerns, this is another great read, lots of action, with a clear distinction between good and evil.

From the publisher:
David Ward
Robert B. Parker's Buckskin (Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch #10) by Robert Knott (G.P. Putnam's Sons 2019) (Fiction – Western). Robert Knott has penned another cracking good installment in the Appaloosa series created by Robert B. Parker of the adventures of U.S. Marshals Vigil Cole and Everett Hitch in the Old West. This tale opens with gold having been found in Appaloosa, and as we are told over and over, the lust for gold makes people do unnatural things. Two groups of competing interests have ...more
L.
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
Virgil and Hitch have their hands full in this one. Gold has been found around Appaloosa and everyone is acting crazy! People are disappearing, partners and friends are accusing each other of murder, adultery, and there's a subplot of two people bent on vengeance. Yeah, there's a lot going on here, but you know Virgil and Hitch, they can't be rushed, especially to a conclusion. :)
Did I mention the Appaloosa Days Festival, planned by Allie and her Ladies group, with food, fun, and fireworks is al
Donna
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch are back as US Marshalls in the town of Appaloosa. Gold has been discovered on the land of two different owners. Each one of them is hiring hired guns for protection as gold makes everyone go crazy.

The chapters go back and forth between the happenings in Appaloosa and someone referred to as "the kid" who is a stone cold killer. He teams up with a woman who has a grudge against Virgil and they head to Appaloosa.

I don't read too many westerns anymore but this is the
Art
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cole and Hitch face problems on two fronts in this exciting installment of Parker's western series.

Gold has been discovered near Appaloosa, so the population is dramatically increasing. And the two owners of competing gold mines are hiring gunmen for protection. That can only lead to trouble for the marshals.

But they also have a young killer on the way to town. His story, in parallel to theirs, sets a slightly different tone than previous books in the series.

But Knott continues to do a masterful
Denice Langley
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not everyone is a western fan so the genre often gets a bad rap. I've read westerns by many writers and Robert Knott is on my watch list to make sure I get new titles as they are released.
These stories are not your typical "shoot em up" or "hang em high" sagas. Our heroes tend to let the bad guys shoot each other as long as no one else gets hurt. Then they will step in and clean house. The story line is clearly defined and the characters are divided into the bad guys and the not so bad guys. Bu
Anne Vandenbrink
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I love Robert B. Parker books. Especially the Cole and Hitch series. I've been waiting for this latest one to come out. Since Parker's death, other authors have taken over his different series. Some are good, some are not. While Buckskin was an interesting read, with a couple of different plots going, the conclusion left a lot to be desired. Also, the work "fuck" appears numerous times by many characters throughout the book. Not that I have a problem with the word, I just don't think it was used ...more
Jenna
May 19, 2019 rated it it was ok

i'm glad that this series is continuing. I think the Parker estate found a writer who does emulate his voice well in the writing.

i really like the cole & everett characters.

unfortunately, i didn't like this one very much.
i couldn't figure out what the heck "the kid" character was doing and i found his chapters disturbing.

the 2 mystery storylines of the who Helen was & who was the murderer did keep me guessing. that element was well done.

BUT THE ENDING SUCKED!!!!I mean seriously, how do
Eloise
Jun 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Knott is no Robert B. Parker, but the book has a nice western feel! It is cool that he thanks Ed Harris and Viggo Mortensen for their support in continuing with the story created by Parker. I had no idea he has written five novels featuring Virgil and Everett, with Parker's family's blessing. The final scene is a nice touch and keeps the reader hanging as to the identity of the kid's mother. Perhaps I missed some clue along the way....
Jim Welke
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The next book in a great series, especially if you enjoy western novels. Virg and Hitch have problems keeping the peace when gold is found in the hills near town. There are a couple of side stories that keep things moving, but there is a lot of italics, maybe Mr. Knott could use a different font, instead of italics, to differentiate what is about 30% or more of the book. It's definitely a hard book to put down, really enjoyed the writing and the story.
Frank
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
[library audiobook]

Another zombie Robert B Parker novel. I read to the end, even though not seeing the point to it. Maybe I missed some plot points on the way. The departure from other Cole and Hitch stories is that Hitch has a love interest, an actress-singer. And no suggestion of a dalliance by Allie French. [Is this a spoiler?] But no reason to follow the rest of it, with many extra characters.

Maybe I will read another zombie Parker, but I'll likely skip Cole and Hitch series.
Deborah Spaulding
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Even tho Robert B Parker is gone, Robert Knott does a terrific job of emulating his style. The terse dialogue of Virgil and Everett makes one wonder why more people don't say less! Although I wish Virgil would get rid of Allie French, she does make an interesting foil for his character. This book is one in a long list of fun reads!
Paula
Jun 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
Sheldon
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Knott has the Parker style down cold. Of course, my daughter reminded me, he should, as he has written more of Cole/Hitch stories than Parker did. Crisp dialogue pushes this Detective/Western novel ahead quickly. I’d recommend it to any one for a couple of fun hours. The audio reader is excellent.
Clara Smith
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parker-knott
I personally had difficulty with the parallel story of the boy murderer who had been abused as a child by his father and taken advantage of by a vengeful woman causing his death. But it was probably true to the history of the West and the Cole/Hitch story was entertaining as always.
Cathy
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Virgil was almost loquacious in this one! Two stories on parallel tracks finally intersect with Virgil and Everett at the center. Knott does an excellent job of keeping Virgil and Everett true top Parker's vision of old school western heroes with just enough shady past to keep them interesting.
Phil
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Fast read, good action, of course Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch. The dialogue is special between these two keeps the pages turning. Robert Knott again picks up where the great Robert B Parker left off.
Pat
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoy hearing about the development of a prosperous western town and the consequences of that growth, even finding gold and introducing theater. It is a nice historical backdrop for the continuing story of two marshals of incredible insight and competence.
Diana Hill
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Two storylines- feuding gold companies and The kid , who is searching for his mother. It’s the Wild West and Marshalls Cole and Hitch are knee deep trying to find a killer of one gold company owner. The kid has a twisted sense of justice but find a couple who make him feel special.
Drew Thomson
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read all of the Robert B. Parker books about marshalls Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch. I found it to be a good adventure. It came down to the end. It surprised me as to who done it. If you like western novels, this is a good choice.
Chosen by the Estate of author Robert B. Parker to carry on the Cole and Hitch series of western novels.
Robert Knott is an actor, writer, and producer. His list of stage, television, and film credits include the feature film Appaloosa based on the Robert B. Parker novel which he adapted and produced with actor and producer Ed Harris. Also among his credits is the television mini-series The Stand

Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch (10 books)
  • Appaloosa (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #1)
  • Resolution (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #2)
  • Brimstone (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #3)
  • Blue-Eyed Devil (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #4)
  • Robert B. Parker's Ironhorse (Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch, #5)
  • Robert B. Parker's Bull River (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #6)
  • Robert B. Parker's The Bridge (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #7)
  • Robert B. Parker's Blackjack (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #8)
  • Robert B. Parker's Revelation (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #9)