Start by marking “Killer Choice” as Want to Read:
Killer Choice

Killer Choice

The electrifying debut thriller that asks the question: To save the one you love, is there any price you wouldn’t pay?

His wife is sick.
He needs $200,000 to save her.
A mysterious man offers to give him the money with just one catch: He has to murder someone to get it.

Gary Foster’s life is finally heading in the right direction. After years of trying, his wife, Beth, is preg
Published January 30th 2018 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about Killer Choice, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Killer Choice
Kemper
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, crime-mystery, 2018, noir
I received a free advance copy of this for review from the publisher.

Gary and Beth Foster are a nice couple who truly love each other, and their idea of a good time is playing Scrabble or watching Netflix. They don’t have a lot of money, but they’re happy just being together. Now that Beth has finally gotten pregnant after years of trying they feel like things couldn’t get any better. Which is exactly the point when life tends to kick nice people in the junk.

After Beth collapses while out shopp
Theresa Alan
Dec 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
DNF This novel began so slowly I wanted to give up early on, but I did my best to persevere. The other problem was that I wasn’t being pulled into the characters’ points of view. From Gary’s perspective, I should have been sad and stressed and emotionally wrought. I wasn’t. From Otto’s perspective I should have felt truly terrified—instead, I couldn’t care less if Otto was tortured and beheaded like it appeared might happen to him. When the plot finally got going, it was ridiculous (Gary could h ...more
Carrie
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
Gary Foster and his wife Beth had been trying for years to become parents and have a baby and just when they didn't think it would happen Beth became pregnant. Gary also has his career just where he wants it having just opened a business with his brother with things going well for them. One phone call however changes all of the good for Gary when he's told his wife was brought into the hospital having suffered a seizure. After many tests it's found Beth has a tumor and her outlook is not good at ...more
Sarah Joint
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
Thrilling and completely engrossing... is this really the first book Tom Hunt has written, or at least published? It doesn't read like a debut! He's definitely one to watch! It's a page turner, absolutely filled with action. It certainly grabs on to you and won't let go. I planned to get it started before bed and ended up reading half of it right then... oops.

"Tick tock, tick tock..."

That is the time bomb that is in his beautiful wife's head. Gary and Beth are just a normal couple in love.
Suzanne Leopold (Suzy Approved Book Reviews)
Gary Foster is running out of time. His pregnant wife Beth has been diagnosed with a rare form of brain cancer. Her chances of survival are slim but her doctor advises them about an experimental procedure in Germany. This treatment is not covered by insurance and the Fosters lack the funds to pay for it. They have embarked on a fundraiser with hopes of starting treatment quickly. Unfortunately, they remain way short of their goal and the outlook appears bleak for Beth and their unborn baby.

A loc
Trudi
So just recently I was grumbling and being a Debbie Downer by 2 starring a buzz book that's got a lot of people excited. It doesn't have "Girl" in the title, but it does have "Woman" and the waitlist at my library is already pretty long. I expect this book's popularity is only going to increase exponentially as summer approaches. You might already have this book on hold yourself, or have added it to your teetering TBR pile. I'm not going to judge you. Much. No really. ::cough::

Today I'm going t
Amy
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I love books about ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances, the idea that far fetched scenarios could actually happen to an average Joe is both scary and fascinating. Killer Choice reminded me of a David Bell novel with more of an action thriller vibe, but Hunt’s protagonist was reminiscent of some of Bell’s leads, so fans of his work should definitely add this to their TBR.

The pacing of this was spot on, you immediately dive into the story with little time spent on background information
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
Fast paced. Great read! 4.5 Stars
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I love when a book surprises you. I picked up this suspense novel expecting to put in a lot of hours basking in the details and basically muddling through.

However, this one totally was the opposite. Very fast-paced and written in such a way that I literally flew through the book. I was finished with it in about three hours because I just couldn’t wait to find out what happened.

In this crazy plot that the author develops, we are asked question
Monnie
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quick: Roll up your pantlegs - it's too late to save your shoes!

I can't count how many times I've said that over the years. And I'm betting I said it at least half a dozen times during the couple of days it took to read this book. At issue, you see, is that only a ton of money - $200,000, to be exact - will save Gary Foster's wife Beth from dying (or more correctly, give her a chance of not dying as soon as she otherwise will). Beth, who's pregnant with their long-hoped-for child, has been diag
Michael Slavin
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Killer Choice by Tom Hunt

Would you kill a stranger for the money to possibly save your spouse with an uninsured medical procedure? That is the storyline.

The book was very different from many of the books I have read lately. I am by design to help my own writing only reading the biggest and most successful authors. I am hoping to learn from their writing. The book was recommended to me so I read it. But Killer Choice was the first novel for Tom Hunt.

It was easy to read and interesting. It kept pu
Frank Phillips
Nov 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Definitely had to suspend disbelief on this one! This was a solid story, but I suppose I expected a big twist at the end, which I did not receive, so i'm putting my rating right in the middle at a solid 3 star rating. I think the pacing was swift, and I was intrigued throughout, which was great. I felt that some of the actions of the main protagonist were incredibly stupid, and I found myself yelling at him in frustration at times, which is a great thing. Had the ending been a bit more believabl ...more
Linda Strong
Gary Foster seems to have it all ... his wife is pregnant, business is doing well. What could go wrong?

Sadly, his wife is hospitalized with a brain tumor. It will only cost $200,00 to save her life ..money that he doesn't have and doesn't know how to get. And because the treatment is experimental, will it even work?

Someone else comes up with a solution. This anonymous man will give Gary the money he needs ... but it comes with conditions. Gary must kill someone, no questions asked. End one life
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
It comes down to the age old question - exactly how far would you go for the one you love? Told strictly through Gary's point of view - we see how he goes from high hopes of finally expecting a baby with his wife.. to potentially losing her. His wife.. who he's known for more than half his life. His rock. He can't imagine life without her and he'll do anything to make sure he doesn't lose her. Enter an opportunity that could potentially solve everything... but at what cost?

I love it when a debu
David
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tom Hunt's KILLER CHOICE is a thrilling, masterful debut. Yes, the plot moves quickly and furiously, with twists and turns until the very last pages. But the book's real strengths are its rich characters and vivid writing. This is a fast, powerful, agonizing read, impossible to put down once started, and it marks the start of what will certainly be an impressive career.
Cheryl
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a debut. All I have to say about Killer Choice is that you are making the right choice when you pick up a copy of this book! I can't wait to read what Mr. Hunt comes out with next. Instant chemistry.

After getting to know Gary and Beth and their situation, the reader really feels for them. It is hard to say if I would not do the same thing if I was in Gary's shoes. If so, I probably would be just as horrible a liar as him. He really was not fooling anyone but yet I still was cheering for hi
Ariel
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
With a nod to Hitchcock's Strangers on a Train, Killer Choice asks the question just how far would you go to save the person you love? Gary is living the American dream with the love of his life Beth. After many years of infertility they are finally expecting a baby which will complete there dream of happiness. Unexpectedly Beth suffers a medical complication and finds out she has a cancerous brain tumor that will kill her shortly unless they can afford $200,000 for experimental medical treatmen ...more
Irene
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Gary and Beth are happily married and happily pregnant after having tried so long for a baby that they had nearly given up hope. All seems to be going well until suddenly and unexpectedly Beth collapses. After a trip to the emergency room they are given devastating news. Beth has an inoperable tumor and may have less than a year to live. Her only hope of survival is a costly experimental treatment that they can not afford.

Meanwhile a shady character named Otto has caught the eye of a crooked co
LORI (Dollycas) CASWELL
Feb 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2018
Dollycas’s Thoughts

Beth has glioblastoma, the same kind of cancer as John McCain has and Beau Biden had. But for Beth there is a cure, she just needs to have her baby, fly to Germany and have $200,000 to pay for the clinical trial care and other expenses. Beth and her friends start a funding page and calling friends and family. Her husband Gary receives a phone call offering him the full amount but he has to kill someone. Yes, it is a Killer Choice, but he decides to do it.

There was something ju
Carol Dass
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-read
This one is definitely a page-turner! Goodness, I don't think I got anything done while reading it, just the basics until I finished the book. Beth and Gary have been married a while, soulmates and best friends. They have tried for a while to have children and finally Beth is pregnant. Then Gary gets a call that Beth collapsed and is in hospital. She is seriously ill with a brain tumour and the only hope is a revolutionary kind of treatment in Germany, but the total cost is $200,000. They do sta ...more
Agnes (BeaderBubbe)
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, arc
Was given this book as an ARC through NetGalley. Where do I begin. Gary's wife is pregnant, passes out and at the hospital finds out she is dying from a brain tumor. He needs $200,000 to save her through a clinical trial in Germany but in order to get the money he needs to kill someone. Would you do it? I battled with this question throughout the book.

This is a page turner as the story gets more involved, the people get more intriguing. The more Gary lies the deeper he gets buried in this web. T
OutlawPoet
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Killer Choice, by Tom Hunt is one of those books I really didn’t want to put down until the end.

I will say that it was hard for me to get behind some of the choices our main character made in this book. He quickly went from a sympathetic character to a man defined more by weakness than anything else. I actually ended up really disliking him by the end of the book.

I think, though, that the author gives us some real ethical conundrums and each reader may react a bit differently to Gary.

But it’s a
Shannon
I Could not put it down! Love that i won this on a giveaway and this is a new author for me I will be reading more from him!

My Review
Serenity
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! This is an amazing debut novel! I look forward to reading more from Tom when he has more books! But Gary was a jackass. I can't believe I felt sorry for him. There is a special place in hell for him. Just glad it ended well. Felt sorry for Sarah and Beth though.
Jessica *The Lovely Books*
“Wouldn’t killing a bad person to save a good person be somewhat justifiable?”

What would you do if you were given the choice to murder someone to save the one you loved? Even if the person to be murdered deserved it? Does anyone really deserve death over being a bad human being? These are questions I seriously contemplated while reading. It goes against everything I believe in—but there is the whole “wanting to save the one I love” aspect.

Gary and his wife, Beth, find out that she has an inoper
Kim Reads (Read Your Writes Book Reviews)
How do I describe Killer Choice, a book that’s both good and bad at the same time? The writing was good. Everything that happens was bad. I would call this an afterschool special. Or better yet a fable. It’s one of those situations where at the end someone would say to you, “What’s the moral of the story?” And that moral would be not to try and change destiny no matter how much you want to. If you are faced with insurmountable odds, just hope that things will work out on their own because choice ...more
Candy
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gary & Beth Foster have been married for nearly twenty years. They are perfect for each other & are both excited for the birth of their first child. One day Beth collapses & is rushed to the hospital. After a day of testing, they're both told that Beth has a brain inoperable brain tumor. It is news no body wants to hear. With the help from Beth's doctor, they find a trial that Beth qualifies for but it is in Europe & experimental. Which boils down to mean they will have to pay 100% out-of-pocket ...more
Michelle (Michelle's Book Ends) Shealy
“He’d always wanted to get the hell out of this place. After getting released from prison two decades earlier, he’d come straight back to the old neighborhood because he had nowhere else to go, then started selling drugs because he didn’t know what else to do.”.....

Two men with life and death problems. One is a good guy, pregnant wife, and a business he runs with his brother. The other guy is a drug dealer being blackmailed. You wouldn’t expect their paths to cross, but oh how fate steps in.

Gary
The Lit Bitch
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first thing that caught my eye about this book was the description. I liked the premise and thought it sounded different and unique.

I wasn’t prepared for how quickly I would read it nor how much I would get hooked on the plot after only a few pages.

One of the things that stood out to me as I was reading was how much this book makes you question your own morals and ethics. I found myself wondering what would I do if I was in Gary’s position? What would my husband do? This book actually prompt
Donna Hines
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
How much is a life worth? What would you do to get the treatment needed to save a life? Would you rob a bank? Would you utilize social media, fundraisers, go fund me? Would you beg, borrow, plead or would you murder? Wait what?
Oh my - Well Tom Hunt has us on fire literally with this one as the suspense just kills ya.
Folks this is a true thriller and I loved every second of it.
Sadly, the main characters wife is suffering from terminal brain cancer ( which a good friend of mine died from) so this
Viviane Crystal
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
The premise of this unusual novel is simple but oh so complex at the same time. What if you had the opportunity to save the life of a loved one by earning the money you needed to make that happen? What if you had to kill to make that happen? Posing these questions out loud makes the writer and reader feel the tension and indescribable difficulty inherent in making such a decision.
This is the story of Gary and Beth. Beth has just been diagnosed with a brain tumor, a glioblastoma, that defies usua
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Forgotten Home Child
  • Closer Than You Know
  • The Last Act
  • First Cut (Jessie Teska, #1)
  • Warning Light (Jake Keller #1)
  • Reckless (Ty Hauck, #3)
  • The Take (Simon Riske, #1)
  • If She Wakes
  • Judgment
  • Burn Zone (Hotshots, #1)
  • Eight Perfect Murders (Malcolm Kershaw, #1)
  • Lost You
  • The Real Michael Swann
  • Pretty as a Picture
  • Just Watch Me (Riley Wolfe #1)
  • Map of Sorrows (Transfusion Saga #5)
  • Please See Us
  • Woman on the Edge
Author of KILLER CHOICE and ONE FATAL MISTAKE. Born and raised in Iowa, always a Hawkeye, live in NYC now.