Start by marking “The Clever Guts Diet” as Want to Read:
The Clever Guts Diet

The Clever Guts Diet

From #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Fast Diet and The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet comes a life-changing look at your gut—home to your “second brain”—and the crucial role it plays in your health and your weight.

Your gut is astonishingly clever. It contains millions of neurons—as many as you would find in the brain of a cat—and is home to the microbiome, an army of
Kindle Edition
Published June 1st 2017 by Simon & Schuster Australia (first published 2017)

Start your review of The Clever Guts Diet
Fraser
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good summary of what we know about gut health and a great collection of simple recipes. I was surprised to learn that the microbes in our gut don't just help regulate weight, they influence how much food is extracted from what we eat, control hunger signals, regulates our immune system, influence our cravings and even influence our mood.

A few notes:
- avoid drinking your calories (juice, beers etc)
- cut back on readily absorbed carbs to avoid insulin spikes (bread, potatoes, rice)
- eat slowly
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
Interesting and informative read but nothing really earth shattering.

Eat more fruit and vegetables and exercise is the key to good health. The end, LOL.
Asho
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If it weren't for the two small children that dictate my life, I'd have never put this book down. It's an entertaining, as well as informative, read written in language that is easy to understand but still thought-provoking. It is such a fascinating subject-matter that we are still only on the cusp of fully understanding. Dr Mosley navigates the facts, fiction and educated supposition of the field quite well. At times the anecdotal evidence is overwhelming, but in a field yet so devoid of explor ...more
Val Robson
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
Very interesting and informative read. There's a lot to take in and I feel I need to go back and read some of it again. I would like confirmation from professionals in the field as to whether they agree with the contents of not as I felt that some of the advice was based on anecdotal evidence or studies that did not involved enough subjects to be scientifically representative.

I was quite irritated with the section on babies born by Caesarean being proclaimed inferior health-wise to those born v
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
My View:
I am a big fan of Dr Michael Mosley. I like him, I like his style of reporting and documenting science based health information which is presented in clear, easy to read language and is backed by Dr Mosley’s personal scientific experimentation, research and the research of others.

Gut based health is something that I (and my immediate family) are very aware of and very interested in. There is still so much to learn about the gut and its microbiome – this book is an excellent starting poi
Kristina
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it! Really informative :)
Domhnall
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Not a diet book or a fad book but a really useful and interesting account of the complex eco-system that is our gut, supported by decent science. So much of our mental life revolves around our alimentary canal in all its features, yet we understand it no better than we understand the depths of the oceons and in our ignorance, we not only fail to act in ways that help that hidden ecosystem but also fail to appreciate why this is a matter of our survival. At the moment when we hear that over 50% o ...more
Vashti
An insightful book on gut health, with some handy recipes at the back. For me, it's nothing groundbreaking as I've read quite a bit on this topic already, but I enjoyed trying some of the recipes like pumpkin porridge, and its encouraged me to bring fermented foods like kefir into my diet.
Liz
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: healthy-harold
Some very interesting information, some would say shocking. I didn't know that inside of your digestive track little terrorist bacteria wait until they have the numbers and then hold you to ransom; forcing you to indulge in sugars and carbs!? Hell no, I certainly do not negotiate with terrorists - good bye sugar and starchy/carby foods.

Worth reading - even if just to add to your research in maintaining a healthy mind and body.
Toby
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
An unexpectedly Lovecraftian body horror, including descriptions of "vaginal seeding," swallowing tapeworm cysts cut from the tongue of a dead cow, and a menagerie of "old friends," the numerous species of microbe that have evolved to live inside us. Beyond these fun bits, the book amounts to a selection of sensible advice and recipes to sort your stomach aches.
Lizzie
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Not comprehensive, but not designed to be. A very interesting overview of gut health - likely to be huge in medical advances in the next decade
Charlotte Burt
Again another informative book about ways to improve the health and diversity of your gut flora. I won't be following the diet but am going to be introducing more fermented foods and wholegrain into my life (and trying to stay away from processed food).
Katrina B
Michael Mosley is a British television journalist, producer and presenter, working with the BBC. He's famous for all sorts of health-related shows including 'Trust me, I'm a doctor' and 'Eat, fast, and live longer'. In 2017 Michael Mosley released 'The Clever Guts Diet' book about gut health.

In this book, Michael Mosley describes the gut system and the inter-related part of the enteric nervous system, and the make up of the biome of the intestines. The explanation given is that certain foods ha
Lisa Randall
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book

Really good and very informative. Great recipes and there are meal plans to follow. The reason I haven't given 5 stars is in one part of the book it says to cut out veg like broccoli in phase 1 and then the meal plans in Phase 1 are full of broccoli?? I don't know whether to include them or not?
Sherry Monger
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We have several people in the family with digestive issues - from IBS to reflux problems -so I am always interested in the latest research that will help me to understand. The Clever Gut Diet focuses on the complex world of the intestines and the bacteria needed there for healthy living. Called the biome, this environment is strongly influenced by what you eat and by the amount of sleep and exercise you get.
Mosley has written an interesting and informative book on the various gut flora and how t
Debbie
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The thing that grabbed my attention when I first saw this book mentioned on the blog Booker Talk was the promise that it would cut sugar cravings. My sweet tooth has plagued me my whole life.

Mosley explains why our "modern guts" are out of whack and what we can do to reset them. It all sounded so reasonable that two-thirds of the way through the book, I returned my library copy and ordered both the book AND the cookbook from Amazon.

There is now the need to reread, and to get my husband on board
Thor Olafsson
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating topic.....and a true eye opener. The author´s humor and simple writing style make it a totally entertaining read :)
Em
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
Easy to read, yet satisfyingly scientific. Thankfully this is not a fad diet book, but one that explains the digestive system, then links a lot of different research through its impact on the gut 'biome'. I haven't tried any of the recipes yet, but some of them sound worth a try.
Susan  Dunn
I learned a lot about what not to eat! Really helpful for those dealing with gut issues.
Jeff Petar
Feb 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Fascinating read especially as I'd also just finished Tom Watsons book Downsizing
Rebecca
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Slightly embarrassed to have read this, but a newly developed middle aged waist line has driven me here.
Gabi
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've chosen this book just to see different point of view. I've read similar books in the past and was wondering if I'll find anything new in here.
I didn't but overall it was a good enjoyable read.
Peter O'Brien
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biohacking, mta
"The Clever Guts Diet is a 'diet' in the same way that you might talk about being on a vegetarian diet or Mediterranean diet. It's not about calories or restriction; it's about the sort of food and lifestyle changes you should make if you have gut problems, or simply want to keep yours in good condition." - page 9

Optimum health comes first, it's that simple.

Your health is the foundation upon which everything else in your life is built, if you have a low level of health then everything and every
Astrid
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Michael Mosley. I think he's an absolute credit to his profession, and I love the way he goes above and beyond to prove/disprove theories just to help others, as well as himself.

This book didn't disappoint. It's a journey into your microbiome which is in your gut. It contains information on how to 'change' it, or make it more diverse. We are learning all the time in the science field that the gut could be the route of a lot of problems - including such things as depression and anxiety. It
Lou Griffiths
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As always, enjoyable, approachable and informative....healthier gut here I come.
Kate Littlejohn
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The new findings and research about the gut ‘world’ is fascinating. Dr Michael Mosley presents it in his infectiously enthusiastic way, that is easy to read and understand. The edition I read had Australian references for more information and there were recipes in the back to help you on your way.
Abhinav Talwar
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Clever Guts Diet is chiefly about the microbiota which colonises a humans large intestine and how the variety and density of each species present here is increasingly being shown to have significant effects on the health of an individual.

Many scientists and health care practitioners are aware of the significance of the link between gut health to overall health and over the last few decades increasing research, testing and hence evidence is accumulating to support the tie that gut health has
Karen
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
What happens in our bodies when we eat a meal or swallow a drink?

Many people would rather not know the answer and yet the last few years have seen more and more evidence about the importance of our digestive system to overall health and well-being. Three separate specialists from different branches of medicine  and health have all told me in the last year that the gut is now considered as a second brain: a highly integrated system that manages a set of processes as complex as all those neural pa
Sally
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
We hear a lot about 'intestinsal flora' and this is an accessible and fascinating account of the digestive system and the stuff it does that we don't realise.
Gamely swallowing a camera for an eye-witness account,the author describes the stomach: "a cavernous,exotic landscape...pink and pulsatile, a place of slobber and rawhide"...the small bowel : "it reminded me of the last time I went snorkelling in a bay full of seaweed" ....churning the chyme "in a frantic corkscrew motion"...note too that t
Kerry Johnson
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is basically a summary of the documentary series that Dr Mosley produced, along with some recipes. Not that I'm complaining - there was a lot of info to get through and I appreciate the notes.

I came away impressed but a bit disappointed - it's wonderful to know so much about my gut "biome" - but as everyone is different, it seems to me that unless I know what exactly my deficiencies are and what eating pattern works for me, the advice falls a bit short.

There is a lab you can send your
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Clever Guts Diet Recipe Book: 150 delicious recipes to mend your gut and boost your health and wellbeing
  • Food pharmacy: En berättelse om tarmfloror, snälla bakterier, forskning och antiinflammatorisk mat
  • The Diet Myth: The Real Science Behind What We Eat
  • The Blood Sugar Solution: The UltraHealthy Program for Losing Weight, Preventing Disease, and Feeling Great Now!
  • 16:8 - Met intermittent fasting naar een gezonder gewicht
  • Statystycznie rzecz biorąc, czyli ile trzeba zjeść czekolady, żeby dostać Nobla?
  • Grandma's Little Black Book of Recipes - From 1910
  • Sweet Poison, Why Sugar Makes Us Fat
  • Gut: The Inside Story of Our Body’s Most Underrated Organ
  • Breakfast is a Dangerous Meal: Why You Should Ditch Your Morning Meal For Health and Wellbeing
  • The Beach House Cookbook
  • 10% Human: How Your Body's Microbes Hold the Key to Health and Happiness
  • Gene Eating: The Science of Obesity and the Truth About Diets
  • The 4 Pillar Plan: How to Relax, Eat, Move, Sleep Your Way to a Longer, Healthier Life
  • JOMO! the joy of missing out
  • Karola's kitchen. Elke dag gewoon gezond
  • Gezond eten, gezond ouder worden
  • De Lijst, Eet jezelf gezond(er)
Michael Mosley (born 22 March 1957) is a British television journalist, producer and presenter who has worked for the BBC since 1985. He is probably best known as a presenter of television programmes on biology and medicine and his regular appearances on The One Show.

Born in Kolkata, India, the son of a bank director, Mosley studied philosophy, politics and economics at New College, Oxford before